Why do you use mods and CC?

«1
Hello,

I'm curious again, I'm wondering why people choose to get mods or cc? To better the game? When bored? Because it looks better?

I'm not completely sure myself, but I guess in some sense I feel it betters my experience of the game, what about you?

Comments

  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 1,795 Member
    I only use mods and I use them to finetune the game the way I like it and to fix annoyances/bugs in the game. I'm also an nostalgic type of player, so quite a few of the mods I use bring back features that were in previous iterations of the game.
    Thank you, EA, for patching toddlers in.

    My TS4 mods

    Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,220 Member
    I always mod any game I play (so long as it is moddable at all, that is, and to a reasonable extent) to let me play them more like I personally want to play them. So that means a combination of tweaks and fixes to allow some alternate or extra gameplay possibilities, additional items and clothing, and cosmetic changes to characters and other things in the world they inhabit. For me mods aren't an option; it's part of my usual gaming lifestyle (I enjoy the process of discovering what can be done and even the required maintenance to make it happen). Sims 4 is just one of many I've played this way.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited November 2021
    I use mods to get control over areas that aren’t controllable through normal game mechanics. I use CC sometimes to give a specific style to my Sims or their environment that is either not in game or doesn’t have enough content. I don’t heavily use either.
    Dream Wild Moon Child

    Tales From The Myst
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 1,411 Member
    The main mod I use is MCCC. I don’t tweak it much, just to allow pregnant Sims to keep aging (so they go from, say, 10 days until adulthood to 7 days, rather than be stuck at 10 days for the duration of the pregnancy. I always found that setting odd). It also allows me to increase the household size and maximum number of club members.
    I have some other minor mods and bug fixes. I could do without the minor mods. The bug fixes are somewhat necessary.

    CC clothing gives me a greater variety of stuff for my Sims to wear, particularly toddlers and children. The packs and kits mainly give stuff to teens and above, and toddlers and children can be overlooked, so it’s nice for them to have extra stuff. I have a few formal gowns for wedding purposes too. I also have some hairstyles and accessory overlays/accessory tops.
    Sims 3 Families: Jenningses, Delaunays
    Sims 4 Stories: Sulani at Heart, Magical Mastersons

    Mastersons Thread: Magical Mastersons: A Ginger Spellcaster Family

    Sulani at Heart Thread: Sulani at Heart

    My blog: Lucy_Henley's Sims Stories
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,630 Member
    edited November 2021
    While i'm playing i start thinking i wish this was this way or i don't like how this works... then i google my issue to check if there's a way around and that's how and why i use mods.
    Nowadays i avoid looking at modders pages and checking all the mods they have cause i end with tons of mods that i actually don't need :tongue:
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 1,041 Member
    I use mods, custom CAS and build items, and custom poses.

    I have mods for a few reasons.
    1) To give me control over things the game doesn't let me control, or that I would have to type in a cheat to do, such as cheat on needs bars
    2) To stop certain sim behaviors that annoy me, like children constantly asking adults for advice
    3) To fix things that aren't technically glitches, but that I don't like, such as crazy looking random sim outfits
    4) To fix actual glitches that haven't been patched yet (I only have a couple of these)

    The cc CAS and build items are mostly for SimLit stories I write, when the packs and base game don't have what I need for the story. A few of the cc items I have were made by my husband at my request, or are just recolors I made of official EA items. The rest I found online by various modders. I also have a few extra hairstyles that I happened to just like, and some extra stuff for toddlers to do because I don't think the game has enough activities for them.

    Most of the custom poses I use, I made myself, and I use them exclusively for SimLit. They are for whenever I need something specific in the story that isn't part of the game, or when it's hard to stage the screenshot how I want it using in-game animations. I like making my own poses, because it's fun, and I can get exactly the pose I want instead of hunting for something that will work by other modders.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 989 Member
    Spicier gameplay. Vanilla gameplay is too bland for me, too safe. I cant stand to play without mods, so when updates come along Im more than happy to play offline and wait for my mods to update first. I can play much darker story lines with ease, and through this storytelling Ive been able to delve more deeply into my sims personalities.

    I also have mods to fine tune certain aspects of the game that I want improved or dont like at all. For example with Discover University, I found mods that drastically increased the price of classes and loans, since I found the in-game prices to be abysmally cheap and could literally be paid in a week. I also found a mod that made college acceptance harder to get into, so that I'd actually have to work on getting my sims into college. Make getting in alot more worthwhile than just applying willynilly and getting in with hardly any effort. And with Eco Lifestyle, I HATED the "Sharing is Caring" N.A.P. since all it did was just destroy builds Ive worked on. Found a mod that took care of it, so now I dont even notice when that N.A.P is "active".
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 23,995 Member
    I only use UI Cheats and that's to get rid of mundane needs like sleeping and eating when I have more exciting things for my sims to do.
    Do more of what makes you happy. 🌞
    She/Her
    #KCC 💛🏈
  • Jokr1929Jokr1929 Posts: 48 Member
    Spicier gameplay. Vanilla gameplay is too bland for me, too safe. I cant stand to play without mods, so when updates come along Im more than happy to play offline and wait for my mods to update first. I can play much darker story lines with ease, and through this storytelling Ive been able to delve more deeply into my sims personalities.

    I also have mods to fine tune certain aspects of the game that I want improved or dont like at all. For example with Discover University, I found mods that drastically increased the price of classes and loans, since I found the in-game prices to be abysmally cheap and could literally be paid in a week. I also found a mod that made college acceptance harder to get into, so that I'd actually have to work on getting my sims into college. Make getting in alot more worthwhile than just applying willynilly and getting in with hardly any effort. And with Eco Lifestyle, I HATED the "Sharing is Caring" N.A.P. since all it did was just destroy builds Ive worked on. Found a mod that took care of it, so now I dont even notice when that N.A.P is "active".

    Those sound really nice, do you happen to have a link to get rid of Sharing is Caring? I honestly also find it so annoying! I think it's interesting with the University classes though, cause I hear several simmers wanting them to be more expensive, I think it would be fun for gameplay with student loans that were crazy high but I'm from one of those places where University is free so it's hard to imagine the situation for me.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 3,483 Member
    Jokr1929 wrote: »
    Hello,

    I'm curious again, I'm wondering why people choose to get mods or cc? To better the game? When bored? Because it looks better?

    1. to make my sims look anatomically correct.
    2. i also use mods that make number 1 more fun to play with.
    3. and...stuff.

    I don't use mods to fix my game. Most mods that I have installed are purely there for entertainment purposes. And cheating.
    Werebeasts-v02.jpg
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 1,795 Member
    Jokr1929 wrote: »
    Spicier gameplay. Vanilla gameplay is too bland for me, too safe. I cant stand to play without mods, so when updates come along Im more than happy to play offline and wait for my mods to update first. I can play much darker story lines with ease, and through this storytelling Ive been able to delve more deeply into my sims personalities.

    I also have mods to fine tune certain aspects of the game that I want improved or dont like at all. For example with Discover University, I found mods that drastically increased the price of classes and loans, since I found the in-game prices to be abysmally cheap and could literally be paid in a week. I also found a mod that made college acceptance harder to get into, so that I'd actually have to work on getting my sims into college. Make getting in alot more worthwhile than just applying willynilly and getting in with hardly any effort. And with Eco Lifestyle, I HATED the "Sharing is Caring" N.A.P. since all it did was just destroy builds Ive worked on. Found a mod that took care of it, so now I dont even notice when that N.A.P is "active".

    Those sound really nice, do you happen to have a link to get rid of Sharing is Caring? I honestly also find it so annoying! I think it's interesting with the University classes though, cause I hear several simmers wanting them to be more expensive, I think it would be fun for gameplay with student loans that were crazy high but I'm from one of those places where University is free so it's hard to imagine the situation for me.

    I believe there is more than one mod getting rid of the sharing is caring NAP, but most of them are all in one, so you can only disable all NAPs or none of them, whereas my napoverhaul is modular, so you ca pick just one or two naps if you feel like it and leave the others untouched, @Jokr1929 :

    https://deichschafblog.de/bienchen/nachhaltig-leben-eco-lifestyle/
    Thank you, EA, for patching toddlers in.

    My TS4 mods

    Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Jokr1929Jokr1929 Posts: 48 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    Jokr1929 wrote: »
    Spicier gameplay. Vanilla gameplay is too bland for me, too safe. I cant stand to play without mods, so when updates come along Im more than happy to play offline and wait for my mods to update first. I can play much darker story lines with ease, and through this storytelling Ive been able to delve more deeply into my sims personalities.

    I also have mods to fine tune certain aspects of the game that I want improved or dont like at all. For example with Discover University, I found mods that drastically increased the price of classes and loans, since I found the in-game prices to be abysmally cheap and could literally be paid in a week. I also found a mod that made college acceptance harder to get into, so that I'd actually have to work on getting my sims into college. Make getting in alot more worthwhile than just applying willynilly and getting in with hardly any effort. And with Eco Lifestyle, I HATED the "Sharing is Caring" N.A.P. since all it did was just destroy builds Ive worked on. Found a mod that took care of it, so now I dont even notice when that N.A.P is "active".

    Those sound really nice, do you happen to have a link to get rid of Sharing is Caring? I honestly also find it so annoying! I think it's interesting with the University classes though, cause I hear several simmers wanting them to be more expensive, I think it would be fun for gameplay with student loans that were crazy high but I'm from one of those places where University is free so it's hard to imagine the situation for me.

    I believe there is more than one mod getting rid of the sharing is caring NAP, but most of them are all in one, so you can only disable all NAPs or none of them, whereas my napoverhaul is modular, so you ca pick just one or two naps if you feel like it and leave the others untouched, @Jokr1929 :

    https://deichschafblog.de/bienchen/nachhaltig-leben-eco-lifestyle/

    Oohh that sounds great, thanks!
  • mlmeadowsmlmeadows Posts: 13 New Member
    I play a heavily modded game when we are in "new gameplay drought", like we are currently. The mods and CC that I typically use are either to make the game more realistic or to play a different time period. Not to mention, all the bug-fix neglect these days necessitates the use of mods for frustration free gameplay.
  • Hauk150Hauk150 Posts: 305 Member
    I don't play the gameplay part of the game since a while, instead I always use the game to create, build mode and cas to create characters and buildings, so I install mods to have new items to create, like objects or cas clothes and hair :)
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 3,392 Member
    Mostly for just finetuning. Couple of "bigger mods".
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
  • SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,009 Member
    I will accept and co-sign that answer OP. I just like to add new custom content and I have since the Sims 1 days.
  • AndrielAndriel Posts: 25 Member
    I haven't used any mods yet, I did see some that looked interesting and have them waiting in a folder on my desktop for my assumed 'eventually' once I've played with everything that's available in the game and the expansion packs.

    In my past experience, there came a point where typing in cheat codes broke the flow of my gameplay and I wanted something that allowed my sims to perform a storyplay action and it would address everything, and what I found on the net was a large vase that I could have my sim walk over to (in my storyline they were dusting it or admiring it) and then I picked from a number of options for what I would like addressed. I didn't like to see my sims struggling to get by, or how much was involved in keeping their needs stable so that I could try and have them do more interesting things. It seemed more like work than play, and I'd wanted the game to be my downtime from real life responsibilities, not another set of chores to add to my list.

    With S4 the gameplay is far more simplified, before I was even fully logged in I was shown a suggested read full of cheat codes that look more like features and they allow me to do what I'd wanted that long ago vase for. I can set my sim's needs to full with 'make happy' and then tell them to stay (mostly) static with "disable need decay", increase the household finances so that I can build my dream lot with 'motherlode', and when building on public lots I can make all of the build items available for use with “bb.ignoregameplayunlocksentitlement” so the sims' outside world is as sleek and pretty as I can dream up.
  • JyotaiJyotai Posts: 388 Member
    edited November 2021
    It's not that I get mods to enhance the game.

    It's that I play the game because I can mod it.

    Pretty much the same thing that kept Skyrim and Second Life on my computer long past their "shelf life". The whole point of all three of these for me, was / is the 'edit stuff' feature. And for Sims 4 the advantage over the others is that the tool is more stable and more in an environment I like (vs Skyrim), and I can mess around without others being "all up in my business" (it's offline and solo, unlike Second Life).

    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Jokr1929Jokr1929 Posts: 48 Member
    Jyotai wrote: »
    It's not that I get mods to enhance the game.

    It's that I play the game because I can mod it.

    Pretty much the same thing that kept Skyrim and Second Life on my computer long past their "shelf life". The whole point of all three of these for me, was / is the 'edit stuff' feature. And for Sims 4 the advantage over the others is that the tool is more stable and more in an environment I like (vs Skyrim), and I can mess around without others being "all up in my business" (it's offline and solo, unlike Second Life).

    Do you make swatches and CC yourself then? and/or Mods?
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,582 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    I only use mods and I use them to finetune the game the way I like it and to fix annoyances/bugs in the game. I'm also an nostalgic type of player, so quite a few of the mods I use bring back features that were in previous iterations of the game.

    Yeah, basically the same for me. I usually end up using a mod when something annoys me enough in the regular game that I start googling ways to fix it lol.
  • CarvedCrayonRosesCarvedCrayonRoses Posts: 17 Member
    Bug/annoyance fixes mostly. Just those and defaults for eyes/skin to make them more vibrant.
  • ancaaaaaaaaancaaaaaaaa Posts: 26 Member
    There are mods that solve some bugs such as your sim refusing to eat leftovers and always making new meals...That was a really annoying one so when I finally found a mod that solves these bugs I was the happiest
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 35,169 Member
    I use mods to tweak the gameplay to my preferences (thank you to all the modders whose preferences match mine!), bandage over bugs while waiting for a Maxis fix, and add new gameplay that Simmers have created.

    I use CC to expand on areas where even with every pack, I end up wanting more. Wedding dresses, for example. Hairstyles. Kitchens. I do wish I had a way of identifying CC I've not used, though...
  • Jokr1929Jokr1929 Posts: 48 Member
    FanPhoria wrote: »
    83bienchen wrote: »
    I only use mods and I use them to finetune the game the way I like it and to fix annoyances/bugs in the game. I'm also an nostalgic type of player, so quite a few of the mods I use bring back features that were in previous iterations of the game.

    Yeah, basically the same for me. I usually end up using a mod when something annoys me enough in the regular game that I start googling ways to fix it lol.

    Whenever I hear bug-fixes, I immediately think about the 'no more glasses of water mod' cause I think that's one of the absolut most annoying things when I play :#
  • VaniliciousVanilicious Posts: 52 Member
    Like most, I use them to adapt the game to my preferences. (I can't play without mods without ending up very angry) :3
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top