Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

INTRODUCING NEIGHBORHOOD STORIES - Bringing New Life to the Neighborhood

14567810...Next

Comments

• Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,083 Member
    Can Neighbourhood Stories affect lifestyles? My Sim Self has developed the workaholic lifestyle since he got promoted to level 9 of the management career. He is always tense now and i'm finding him autonomously going to work in off hours. He never had the workaholic lifestyle before.
  • Options
    MayaRose1138MayaRose1138 Posts: 1,791 Member
    I’m enjoying the neighbourhood stories so far. My sims aren’t being inundated with phone calls, and I like the option my sim has of talking to her siblings about expanding the family 🤣. Both her brother and sister said they weren’t interested but the next go round of MCCC, her brother and sister-in-law are now having a baby, and the sister has rung twice - once asking my sim if she should accept her boyfriend’s proposal and the second asking my sim’s husband if they should have another baby. I said yes to both because I want my sim’s kids to have cousins!
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,882 Member
    edited December 2021
    @Brd709 That has been in the game since the beginning of Lifestyles-- a character I made to test out Snowy Escape with my daughter got Workaholic, which is sort of funny. I guess I didn't think to take days off work to further her adventuring ways. Doing the outside-of-work performance tasks might contribute too.

There seems to be a bug that needs saves about the Workaholic moodlets getting stuck:
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-SAVES-SE-Workaholic-moodlet-constantly-stuck-Lifestyle/td-p/9764504

You can also try the lifestyle coaching or Carefree reward trait if you want to get rid of the lifestyle (and if you don't have the bug)

Or you could just embrace workaholism and get paid for lots of extra hours if you feel like doing that :)

• Options
    edited December 2021
    @Brd709 That has been in the game since the beginning of Lifestyles-- a character I made to test out Snowy Escape with my daughter got Workaholic, which is sort of funny. I guess I didn't think to take days off work to further her adventuring ways. Doing the outside-of-work performance tasks might contribute too.

There seems to be a bug that needs saves about the Workaholic moodlets getting stuck:
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-SAVES-SE-Workaholic-moodlet-constantly-stuck-Lifestyle/td-p/9764504

You can also try the lifestyle coaching or Carefree reward trait if you want to get rid of the lifestyle (and if you don't have the bug)

Or you could just embrace workaholism and get paid for lots of extra hours if you feel like doing that :)

I'll check out the bug later on. I did notice him hopping out of bed yesterday at 2am to go to work. He had only just gone to bed half an hour earlier!
  • Options
    @mightysprite Interesting fix i found just now. My Sim Self still had the tense moodlet today from being a workaholic. My Sim Self's son's friend invited him to the flea market just now and when they returned home, my Sim Self no longer had the tense moodlet from being a workaholic.
  • Options
    HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    AyKooChao wrote: »
    @HillyBeth Have you brought it up on the Discord server?

No because my messages get swallowed by incoming messages or overlooked entirely. So I won't go there.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Options
    @Brd709 Well that's interesting! Maybe the flea market gave him some perspective :)
    or maybe it's one of those bugs that travelling can fix?

• Options
    vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member
    So I've played just over a week in a new Sim game. My couple has befriended the BFF Household, the Harris family (parents) and the Akiyama family (parents). I've received no calls for any of them to progress in life and all attempts to 'discuss growing the family' or 'pursue dream job' have failed. Do I just need to give the story progression more time? My couple is now pregnant and I'd love for their friends to have kids grow along side of them.
  • Options
    DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,183 Member
    I actually like the way this is handled. I don't think this needs an "Off switch" at all, it's no more annoying than constantly getting texts and calls from that one neighbor you were nice to the day you moved into your new place, seems like something the devs shouldn't waste time trying to develop right now.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited December 2021
    I am a bit late to the party here as i have only just updated my game from CL.

Anyroad, got my first phone call from the new Neighborhood Stories. Not very encouraging.

A sim phones my played sim saying she found a ring in my played sim's bag and says she thinks he is going to propose and asks what she should do :/

I reckon my played sim's thought process was something like: Well, I was thinking of marrying you, but given you have been going through my things behind my back and also you are dumb enough to phone me and tell me, I am not so sure.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    I've come around on Neighborhood Stories. I think it's just subtle enough in actual effect (and there are more than enough options available to keep it from breaking the world) to be a nice tool for making the world more alive.

I still think it'd be great if NPCs within your sim's field of view could build relationships and skills autonomously, so that "ascended townies" brought into the playable state weren't so useless skill-wise compared to born-in-game sims. Although that would definitely need to come with a toggle switch because I'm sure a lot of players wouldn't be so keen on it as a mechanic.

Or at the very least, if your sim mentors someone, they should gain skill out of it! Think the gym or the buskers playing their music around San Myshuno...
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    PickledtiaraPickledtiara Posts: 169 Member
    cyncie wrote: »
    Sansanna wrote: »
    I've liked this update so far but now something annoying happened.. My sim's (Siru) boyfriend called her, saying that he found a ring in her (Siru) stuff and asked what he should do about it. So he called his own girlfriend asking advice on their own relationship.. I'm still learning how the answer system goes, didn't think it through and just clicked the middle option of choose yourself. I thought that if I answer "no", that might damage their relationship, because I did want them to get eventually engaged. Well.. then I get a notification that Siru and her boyfriend just got engaged! So there I am, actively playing with her and suddenly she's just engaged with her boyfriend and got the moodlet "engaged".. Ugh. I'm a very story-driven player and definitely didn't want them to get engaged just yet and like this. Couldn't exit the game without saving because it had been a while since I had last saved..

Think of it this way, you’re not talking to the sim when you get the calls. You’re talking to the game AI. If you answer the “do what you want/follow your heart” option, the game makes the decision for the sim. “Yes” gives the game permission to create the situation. “No” denies the game permission. Nothing about your sims relationships will change unless you give the game permission to do it.

I had something similar happen while playing the Not So Berry challenge on console. A member of the household was on a date, she was not going to be Plum but I wanted her to get married and move out, hoping she would call her family for advice on family and career. I always thought it was a bummer that only one of the sibling’s life moved forward, did not seem realistic so I was excited to see some sort of official story progression.

During the date a dialogue prompt came up asking her boyfriend about expanding their family. I thought this is cool, she is trying to see if they are compatible, thought the devs added some new conversation. The boyfriend is happy she brought it up but but says he needs to talk to his girlfriend, acting like she is not there and can have the conversation in the moment. It was very immersive breaking. Even more so when she got the nausea animation on the spot and when I clicked on the toilet there was a throw up option. She was pregnant without woohoo, also no pregnancy test. I went into CAS with the full mode cheat and she is pregnant. I also got the go for your dream job dialogue but the boyfriend did not want to discuss it.

I like the idea of having these conversations but they need to be tweaked a bit. It reminded me of the pregnancy and wellness mod, it would be great if for example your sim had this conversation with someone who had the dislike children’s trait and the response was negative. I would like a bit more drama or surprise but it needs to feel immersive.

Gallery ID Pickledtiara
  • Options
    I still think it'd be great if NPCs within your sim's field of view could build relationships and skills autonomously, so that "ascended townies" brought into the playable state weren't so useless skill-wise compared to born-in-game sims. Although that would definitely need to come with a toggle switch because I'm sure a lot of players wouldn't be so keen on it as a mechanic.

Or at the very least, if your sim mentors someone, they should gain skill out of it! Think the gym or the buskers playing their music around San Myshuno...

I think they do? My (playable) Akira Kibo married a random townie and she randomly had Fabrication skill 10 and a number of other well developed skills. I also made a busker playable briefly and he did have skill 10 in his instrument.

• Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    Yes, they do. They develop skills as well as relationship whenever they're on a the active lot. They also get skills when assigned to certain townie roles.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member

I think they do? My (playable) Akira Kibo married a random townie and she randomly had Fabrication skill 10 and a number of other well developed skills. I also made a busker playable briefly and he did have skill 10 in his instrument.

Are you using mods? Because when I pull an NPC who charmed me out of the pool and plop them down in the real world, they do come with a few skills relevant to their NPC role—buskers in their instrument, gym trainers in Fitness, college professors in whatever it was they taught—but they have no relationships other than played sims who they met in that capacity and their secondary career skills are severely underdeveloped. I think the game does generate certain templates when it spawns NPCs in, including skills, but I don't think they're organically growing those skills out in the world (and they're definitely not when my sims are mentoring them, because those "ascended NPCs" should have way higher skill levels than they actually do in stuff like Fitness if they're not gym trainers.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    Bella Goth has been calling me about trying for a baby with Mortimer. At first I was telling her to decide for herself, then during a visit I notice the Goths had a new baby in the family. But soon after she was calling me again asking for the same advise and I answered no, I thought the one baby with her other two kids was plenty, but then on my next visit to her place I saw another two cribs, all three cribs arranged around Bella's and Mortimer's bed. Now I'm afraid to answer the phone or visit the Goth's place.
    The cake is a lie
  • Options
    @ACruelButLovingGod Nope, no mods.

You are right that the skills they have aren't relevant in any way to their careers. It seems to be pretty random, except for skills that they clearly developed while on the active lot doing things, like the buskers and gym trainers.

(Even the premades' skills have me scratching my head sometimes... Diego Lobo starts out with several points in gourmet cooking, but no points in Cooking, even though you normally can't start gourmet cooking until you have cooking level 5 or something. And then Lily Feng is somehow a level 8-9 businesswoman without having any charisma points at all.)
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,398 Member
    Neighbor Sims may consider these life changes independently, or your Sims can try to convince them to:
    • Change their current Career to a different one.
    • Have a baby with their partner, if they are in a relationship where either Sim can become pregnant.
    • Hang out with other Sims to form or deepen Friendly relationships

It was helpful revisiting the original announcement post to see what the end state will look like.

I'm most excited about relationship development (friendship and romantic, positive and negative) and the coupling of Sims - all of this happening autonomously.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    sofalusofalu Posts: 3 New Member
    I really like the concept of neighbourhood stories, but my game is out of control in terms of babies. I read one other post from someone who said, they had the same happening to sims with the "family oriented" trait, but for me it's with any household. They'll just have three or more babies, toddlers, kids! It's a bit much, I hope that there will be some sort of limit in terms of number of kids / timeframe.
  • Options
    sofalusofalu Posts: 3 New Member
    I like that seems to be more likely to have twins now though, reminds me of good old Sims 2 <3
  • Options
    GreylingGreyling Posts: 163 Member
    edited May 2022
    Neighborhood Stories are a set of gameplay moments that all revolve around a single purpose: bring more life to Neighbor Sims that live outside the active household. (“Neighbor Sims” refers to most of the non-player character (NPC) Sims in the game, not just ones who live on the same street as your household. Neighbor Sims excludes special NPCs such as Grim Reaper.)

Our intent is to empower you to decide if a life change makes sense in the story your Sims are living out, or to leave that decision up to the Neighbor Sim altogether.
    First off, I enjoy the game a lot as is, but I was also very much looking forward to this first installment of Neighborhood Stories, particularly because I, most times, only play one household. However, from what I’ve experienced so far some of these elements are a little off or don’t quite work as advertised - or maybe it’s simply me doing something wrong or my settings don’t work with this part of Neighborhood Stories (I have aging off for played and unplayed households, but on for the Cottage Living animals, and season are set to normal)?

This what I’ve being seeing so far (for the record my sim mainly knows a bunch of randomly generated townies):
    Careers:
    Neighbor Sims may consider […] life changes independently, or your Sims can try to convince them to:
    • Change their current Career to a different one.
      or
    • Ask <Sim Name> to Pursue Dream Job
    2 sims have called my sim about changing careers. 2 unemployed sims I’ve had my sim ask to start a career. (1 sim in a different save called about changing careers). ALL of them chose to become astronauts. I’ve stopped trying to encourage sims to get a (new) job, because apparently everyone wants to join Musk and Bezos and that gets a little repetitive. Has anyone been seeing the same outcome?

And apart from the first two calls, no other of my sim’s many acquaintances have asked if they should change jobs. I know most randoms don’t have jobs and maybe now this option has also been replaced by the career option of Neighborhood Stories Part 2? If so does that increase the calls about promotions (I haven’t turned on part 2 yet)?

Because so far I’ve only seen this one single time:
    Autonomous-only Life Changes

Neighbor Sims can only undergo these life changes independently, but they’ll check with a Sim in the active household beforehand. They just need a little confidence boost! (Or to be let down easily. Don’t worry, they’ll understand!)
    • Try to get promoted in their current Career.
    In this case it was the father of my sim’s now teenager daughter who called her when she was a toddler to ask if he should try for a promotion. He’s a firefighter so the call didn’t make sense on several levels.

Relationships:
    Your Sims can do […] things to cause life changes for Neighbor Sims:
    • Try to get two grown-up Sims, or two Teen Sims, to form a Romantic relationship.
    • Other Sims… > Talk Up Another Sim
    • Other Sims… > Hook Up With

or sims will call to
    • Hang out with other Sims to form or deepen Friendly relationships
    This is the element I was looking forward to the most and have found to be the most disappointing, because nothing about this has changed compared to how it was before. I already had Get Together so had the options where my sim could try to influence the relationships of other sims. I had just hoped that now they would actually have a long term effect, but alas they don’t.

a) My sim’s teenage daughter has two friends who always gravitate towards each other whenever I have the teens hang out somewhere. If I have her ask them about each other, they‘ll most often say they think the other one is cool. Sometimes they won’t know who the other is despite being in a conversation with one another - I wish there were an “introduce” option that would make other sims form some kind of relation that would actually stick.

Anyway, I’ve had her ask them to hook up which they’ll willingly do, however, the next day they won’t know each other anymore, and this is so very frustrating and so very annoying and seems to defeat the purpose of this option completely.

The same goes for:
    b) Where someone our sim knows calls and wants to hang out or go on a date with another sim. Before the MWS fix is was pretty much always another sim among my sim’s acquaintances that the sim calling wanted to get to know which made it easier when trying to find out if they remembered each other (they don’t by the way), after the update it has more often than not been someone my sim doesn’t know, which is fine, it just made the tracking down of the sim in order to have the option to ask them about each other a bit more difficult. And it hasn’t changed either, they still don’t know each other despite the sim calling my sim back testifies to having had a great time.

Again it sort of defeats the purpose of this action which is such a pity, because it’s such a great idea and a way for the neighborhoods and the worlds to come alive.

Expanding families:
    How Do I See The New Gameplay?
    For autonomous life changes, Neighbor Sims consider them depending on factors like Traits, meaning not all Sims will consider every life change. You’ll need to wait for Neighbor Sims to consider a change, but having Sims with more friends at higher relationship levels will increase the chances for life changes to happen. We’ve really tried to balance Neighbor Sim life changes happening at an interesting pace, without being too spammy or repetitive.
    • Have a baby with their partner, if they are in a relationship where either Sim can become pregnant.
    After the MWS fix these calls have become rather spammy. My sim has friends who call several times a week about this. One of them I had my sim say that they should go for it once already (this was way before the recent fix) and the other I keep choosing the “decide for yourself“ option. Does this option have another outcome than “this decision is too hard to make on your own” (or whatever the English equivalent is)? Because to me this response equates that there’s no roll of the dice to determine whether or not they will in fact try for a baby. To me this seems a lot more as if I could just as easily have chosen the no option instead. Edit: turns out that the one where I opted for the “decide for yourself” option actually did have one baby from the many phone calls. I just didn’t get any kind of notification about this, and it wasn’t until my sim had the time to take up the caller on an invitation to come over that I discovered they had in fact decided to try for a baby and gotten one. So this option works just fine, but some kind of notification would be nice.

My apologies for the long post, it’s just that even though this does contribute to making the neighborhoods feel alive, when some of this doesn’t carry over it sort feel like it doesn’t quite have the intended effect, and I do think that this has so much potential 😊

Edit - I’ve taken a few liberties with the cutting of the quotes from the original post in order for this post not to become too long.

Edit - edited May 31st to add to the Expand Family calls.
    Post edited by Greyling on
  • Options
    TahabataTahabata Posts: 82 Member
    Unfortunately, this update didn't work the way it was supposed to. I look forward to the devs discussing this and properly updating this feature. As many here have already said, the same experience is for me, a lot of spam calls. The other sims absolutely do nothing on their own, and if my sim decides to have more than 2 close friends my game becomes chaos. And I could support it, if the choices really impacted the gameplay, but the truth is: it doesn't matter. There are no new interactions with the neighbors, it makes no difference asking your best friend to date or get married 1,2,3...10 times. It just doesn't make a difference and that's annoying!

Suggestion:
    Can't sims just make choices of their own based on their personality traits? Seek out your own partners or your friends. Calls only when necessary or when that sim REALLY feels lost. Wouldn't it be fun to have to comfort our close friend after he's had a bad date or has broken up? Getting a call asking to sleep over at our house for an "ice cream night." It could unlock new comforting interactions such as: badmouthing your ex, offering a shoulder to cry on, eating to drown your sorrows and sleeping cuddled.

Where's the immersion of encouraging someone to make a friendship or start a new romance? What's the point of all this if we can't actually feel the consequences of these choices? This was just one of several examples we could have of unique interactions happening by neighborhood changes. I really hope this update doesn't stay the way it is.
    Wish list:
    - Cars, motorcycles, bycicles. (Detailed animations)
    - Wild Animals (Interactive)
    - Thief and Celebrity (Better and more active!)
    - Bands
    - Farming or Medieval EP
    - Cyberpunk or Asian GP
    - Beach.
  • Options
    GreylingGreyling Posts: 163 Member
    Tahabata wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be fun to have to comfort our close friend after he's had a bad date or has broken up? Getting a call asking to sleep over at our house for an "ice cream night." It could unlock new comforting interactions such as: badmouthing your ex, offering a shoulder to cry on, eating to drown your sorrows and sleeping cuddled.

Where's the immersion of encouraging someone to make a friendship or start a new romance? What's the point of all this if we can't actually feel the consequences of these choices? This was just one of several examples we could have of unique interactions happening by neighborhood changes.

Agreed, this could be a nice addition.