Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are they ever going to update babies?

I know that updating babies was a hot topic in the past. I used to check the forums often for any updates until life got too busy. I was wondering if there has been any recent talk of updating the babies? I would love for them to be freed from their bassinets.

Comments

• Options
    yuppyupp Posts: 570 Member
    I hear you on that. My last hope is that they’ll update babies if they release a generations pack.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,232 Member
    edited October 2021
    Yes, maybe it's a matter of months or years.

September 2020
    https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/a-letter-from-the-sims-team

They mentioned 4 things and we got 2 of them :
    • Cars --> ???
    • Babies --> ???
    • Farm --> July 22, 2021 : EP11 Cottage Living
    • Bunk beds --> March 23, 2021 : Game update
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I hope they do come but it's been 7 years now so maybe they will never come. As with cars, it's possible those will never come too.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited October 2021
    I don't have much hope for that. Mostly because it would probably require them to remove the existing babies from the game and replace them with new ones that can move around, which would break saves.

I don't think they have said that they want to update babies either, apart from the "we know what the community wants" and "we are listening" when asked about it and I'm not sure if that means much after 7 years.
  • Options
    KokoaMilkKokoaMilk Posts: 267 Member
    It would be easier for them to add minor updates to babies but major to other life states, like teen age or a more distinct young adult age and better adult. I hope that this changes will come in an *eventual *future Generations pack
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited October 2021
    I personally am inclined to believe that "updated babies" will never come. Not true sims-like babies that can be created in CAS.

I do think it might be possible for them to update them to be tied to other objects, like a swing, play mat, changing table, etc.

It could be similar to how chairs "snap" to slots at dining tables or desks, etc and the animations still work regardless of what object the chair is snapped to. Babies could be moved away from the crib and snapped to a new object. But of course, these would also require different animations (sitting up for a swing, laying on tummy for floor mat time, etc).

Of course, I'm not sure how this could be done in "live mode" since we can't move chairs around in live mode unless they worked like deco slots like the ones that sims use to set down books and dirty plates, empty glasses, etc. But then again you'd have the community up in outrage the first time the sims placed the baby down on an inappropriate slot (like on a grill or bookcase, fireplace, etc).

But, I'm also not confident the teams feels like it's a priority. I know they can monitor playing styles and statistics from game play sessions. Maybe they have noticed a trend of the majority of players skipping over this life stage. There's a lot of people who state they immediately age babies up, now I'm not sure if it's because they're kinda pointless the way they are, or they just don't enjoy that type of game play and babies are just an unpleasant step to get to more interesting life stages.

But I do hope they improve them in some way before TS4 ends, just for those people who do enjoy babies.

Post edited by Chicklet453681 on
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,971 Member
    edited November 2021
    I have been waiting for updated babies for a long time. And they did say they heard us on that one. I think more people would play babies if they were updated. There are quite a few us us out there that play with aging turned off most of the time. If there were real babies, I would have my sims have them more often.

If they had clothing ( they do have some knitted outfits ), a changing table, and several bits of clutter for a nursery, cribs, a playmat, a swing, a blanket you can put on the floor or sofa, a baby bath ( or sink bath), sims being able to sit while they nurse babies or feed a bottle to babies ( the rocking chair would be great for that ), a snuggly and a stroller or baby buggy, and sims could take them off the lot with them. I think they would become much more popular. Heck I’d buy a game pack made for babies ( and hopefully toddlers ). I’d also buy kits for clothes and stuff packs for babies as well. I think EA would really miss out on a bundle of money if they didn’t update them. Also I think some people would be a bit less likely to buy Sims 5 for fear that babies might be the same as they are in sims 4. As it is, until people know there will be better babies for sure before they come out I doubt they will preorder Sims 5. If they want to keep a lot of people that play this game, and pull them into playing a sims 5 game that has online options, I think they are going to have to show a lot of sandbox players that the play alone game is going to be much better than 4 started off with, cause it looks like they are going to have some competition.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I do think some sort of Baby update is in the works. I just hope that whatever it is, it doesn't disrupt my play too much. (I don't age babies up right away and don't want to, but I also don't really care if they ever free the babies.)
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    As much as I want to say yes, I don't think it'll happen.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    No, I don't think they will at this point.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    I'm positive that they're working on updating babies.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I hope so I don't know.
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    ArcaArca Posts: 183 Member
    If they’re capable to add the toddler in Sims 4, babies also can be added.
    Except, they’re lazy
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    It sounds the same way as Toddler.

Maxis mentioned it and 3 years later a patch added it.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    I think they did work on improving babies, I recall a guru at one point stated that free babies was not what they would announce at a certain patch event, due to speculations, and I think that was about the time they did work on it - as if it was still in the works but not yet ready. So, if they decide to ditch it, I expect them to announce that we will not get free babies. Untill then, I keep expecting them ;)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I think they did work on improving babies, I recall a guru at one point stated that free babies was not what they would announce at a certain patch event, due to speculations, and I think that was about the time they did work on it - as if it was still in the works but not yet ready. So, if they decide to ditch it, I expect them to announce that we will not get free babies. Untill then, I keep expecting them ;)

If that's the case then they are also working on cars since everytime people speculate about cars they always say "not this time"
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited October 2021
    Unless they say that they are working on them specifically, and not just "we are listening to the community" I don't believe that they are coming. 7 years have passed now, they have to show that they are interested and are able to do it after such a long time.
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    I'm not that into updated babies, but it could be fun if you could do a little bit more with them, such as move them on a play mat or something. I'd use that and I think something like that is possible to add in game and they could do it. I just wonder whether people would be happy with it or just complain that it's not enough and whether they want to add something like that if the reception is possibly bad.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    haisin wrote: »
    I'm not that into updated babies, but it could be fun if you could do a little bit more with them, such as move them on a play mat or something. I'd use that and I think something like that is possible to add in game and they could do it. I just wonder whether people would be happy with it or just complain that it's not enough and whether they want to add something like that if the reception is possibly bad.

I'm not playing babies a lot, mostly I feed them (if required) then ignore them and switch to a different house :) A play mat sounds good. Perhaps being able to be seated while holding the baby. I don't really expect a lot, ie strolling would be more fun with toddlers.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    yuppyupp Posts: 570 Member
    I’m going to keep my fingers crossed that they will update them at some point. The object babies really do break the immersion of family play for myself and I’m sure many other simmers.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I really really hope that they finally make the Babies playable. Also, I still want the Plantsim to eventually become a CAS Lifestate. Furthermore, bring back Werewolves, Fairies, Genies, Spiral Stairs & Heartshape Bed.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    You will note Maxis never mentioned Preteen/tween, Height slider or Elevator update.

They know they won't do these things, it's not planned.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Babies are currently objects, you can't just add a few interactions like with upgrading a toilet. And your Sims would be GIVING BIRTH to that new lifestate rather than giving birth to an object, so they'd need changing too.

It's like with toddlers. They're pretty much creating a new lifestate, and that lifestate will be basegame and need updates and new things to do and occasionally new clothes.

All for free. And we all know how EA is about free things.

And then they'd probably need to make a few packs for them, like with Parenthood and Kid's Room coming out right after Toddlers.

So, gotta remember that it does take TIME. Although it is also one of the things that should have been done much sooner.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Patchy the Straw Man is both an object and a sim.

But babies are small toddlers who can do less of things by their own.
    There is not a ton of interactions : sleep, eat, cry, hug and play.

The more difficult task could be the strollers.
    The baby carrier would be an easier transport , it's like a pregnant sim.

81a7a710.png2_e2c310.jpg
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on