Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Not sure if it's a good idea to have an edible mushroom with the color of an IRL lethal one?

BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
edited October 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Just saying, the "spicy mushroom" is indeed "spicy". IRL it is the iconic Toadstool, the one mushroom literally everyone in North America Europe and Russia knows Not. To. Eat.

So... curious: Why pick that color for an edible mushroom in a game a lot of kids play?
Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek

Comments

• SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    Super mushrooms in Mario have been red with white spots since 1985 and nobody thought anything of it. Let's give kids some credit : any child old enough to play this game is old enough to know the sims is not how you learn to differentiate mushrooms.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Super mushrooms in Mario have been red with white spots since 1985 and nobody thought anything of it. Let's give kids some credit : any child old enough to play this game is old enough to know the sims is not how you learn to differentiate mushrooms.

It's more the fact that it's an odd choice for a spicy mushroom. There are plenty of IRL spicy mushrooms they could have picked, especially since their bog standard "Mushroom" mushroom looks exactly like the IRL one.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    It probably is just the connotation of spicy. When I think of spicy, I think of the color red. Some people might not have the same train of though, but a lot of peppers are red.

But it is a video game, so no harm no foul. I dare say kids would (and should) generally be told what I was growing up: "don't eat anything you find outside." So, at the very least, I don't think it is a problem.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    What about the other mushrooms? Even edible mushrooms have lookalikes that are poisonous.

What about wild berries? When I was a toddler my sister told me the red berries on our hedge tasted like ice cream. My mom had to give me the medicine that makes you vomit because they were toxic.

It’s just a video game, though. A T-rated game. Teens should know better than to eat things they can’t identify from the wild.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    edited October 2021
    True its little strange and i thought it was gonna be poisonous to my sims first :sweat_smile:

but tbh i don't really mind because sims treat many toxic things edible

like you also don't just make random something on chemistry table and be like hehe i drinks :sweat_smile:

+I think there is many poisonous mushrooms that resemble non poisonous ones so maybe not including poisonous mushroom is just a practical choice as i doubt devs are mushroom gurus to that level

as for berries... I'm mostly offended by those low effort harvestable bushes that do not resemble real berry bush
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    These things are tricksy. On the one hand, kids do live in a world far more magical than we (usually) do as adults, and they don't always think with the same sort of logic. As an example, there was an incident when I was around 5 years old.

I knew perfectly well not to eat anything I found on the ground, but one day I saw some lovely moist brown sugar lying there so enticingly, just waiting for me, clearly wanting to be tasted. And somewhere in my little mind I knew it was really just fine damp sand in the ditch where rain had caused it to settle, but I thought it could be brown sugar. It looked exactly like brown sugar. It might be brown sugar! So of course I tasted it. Yuck. I learned quickly that it wasn't any kind of sugar at all, but that didn't stop me from growing up healthy and a little wiser.

The world lost a tiny bit of its magic for me that day, but I'd hope that we can keep our adult selves from preemptively removing too much magic too soon just to keep kids safe from all the things that could happen but very likely never will.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member
    The game is for teens and up, so it's best if the devs don't cater to actual children. People should know not to eat random things outside. I don't think much thought was put into the colors of in-game plants compared to real life poisonous ones.
  • SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member

It's more the fact that it's an odd choice for a spicy mushroom. There are plenty of IRL spicy mushrooms they could have picked, especially since their bog standard "Mushroom" mushroom looks exactly like the IRL one.
    I haven't spent much time looking from the different mushrooms from the pack and trying them to find out their effect, but aren't they color-coded to indicate the emotional moodlet they give? Like the lovely mushrooms being pink?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Just saying, the "spicy mushroom" is indeed "spicy". IRL it is the iconic Toadstool, the one mushroom literally everyone in North America Europe and Russia knows Not. To. Eat.

So... curious: Why pick that color for an edible mushroom in a game a lot of kids play?

The same reason they never told players in TS2 that squash juice is toxic. I remember thinking I would like to try that..until a smarter person informed me not to try it at home. :o
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    I must say I haven't given much thought to the in game mushrooms. The team does not do very realistic plants and I don't think they could be considered as a teaching guide for poisonous and edible plants. When I was a young kid and going for picnics in the forest with my grandparents they would teach me what not to eat and mushrooms of any kind were definitely off the menu. I assume most people have the common sense not to eat what they are not familiar with, it's very easy for mushrooms to be lethal and you need real knowledge when foraging for wild mushrooms.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member

True. The Sims shouldn’t confuse little children who are not allowed to play this game.

Just the other day I had a family visiting. One of the family members is a 5 year old. Cute as a button. Wanders into my backyard and starts picking the fruit of one of my Plasma trees. Just like that. It sorta teleported to her hand and she swallowed it whole.

I said: “NOO that was my din dins! Now I have to take a drink from your mother and your dad won’t like that, because it makes her all woozy and dazed and when your mother is all woozy and dazed she won’t be able to do anything for the next 12 hours. To make matters worse, your dad is useless and won’t be able to look after you right now because he too was dumb enough to eat from a mysterious fruit that he didn’t know anything about. It makes his face look all distorted and all he does now is run around like a lunatic or just stand there staring into nothingness with this gosh awful smirk. This is why they came to see me in the first place. To ask for help! They wanted me to find something in my garden to reverse the curse but I can’t help right now because it’s daytime and too sunny and sure look over here little cupcake, my skin is starting to sizzle!”

She kinda giggled at that but I didn’t think it was funny because me sizzling away in the sunshine ain’t good. It ain’t good at all.
    I think her mother copped on and before I could do anything irresponsible she took her and her hubby and left. I remember the mother saying to the little girl:
    “You can’t be picking fruit from that nice man’s trees. He’s a vegetarian and those trees are the only things keeping him in existence right now.”

She was right. Keep your kids and husbands away from things they don’t know anything about. It could not only cost their lives, it could even kill someone who’s already dead.

Anyway I’m fine now in case anyone got worried. I ran back inside, spent some time in my coffin and by the time I woke up from my slumber it was the next night and the fruit had grown back. Close call though. Close call.