Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has the bug that fences create concrete floors been reported yet?

...See title, basically :)

Suddenly a few weeks ago (not sure if it's after a patch or after installing CL) we're back to where if you put a fence around your garden the whole landscaping is deleted and there is just a flat concrete floor there. So it makes it impossible to fence in an already designed garden.
Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Unfortunately, this glitch has been around for years now.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Are you using the fence tool that makes a square that you drag to size? I haven’t had any trouble fencing in gardens with the fence tool, and I use the regular tool you use to draw each side individually.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    babajayne wrote: »
    Are you using the fence tool that makes a square that you drag to size? I haven’t had any trouble fencing in gardens with the fence tool, and I use the regular tool you use to draw each side individually.

Yes, I think this does make the difference, as I haven't experienced this problem.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

I do draw each side individually, the problem is that I had an open "gate", and when I fill that in so I can put a proper, lockable gate there my whole carefullly landscaped garden including pond disappears and becomes concrete.

I do draw each side individually, the problem is that I had an open "gate", and when I fill that in so I can put a proper, lockable gate there my whole carefullly landscaped garden including pond disappears and becomes concrete.
    I can’t replicate your issue but did you try drawing the one link of fence someplace else and then moving it into the empty space? I know this is one way to make sure it doesn’t create a “room”, which sounds like what it’s doing for you.
  • GameBoy2936GameBoy2936 Posts: 30 Member
    No don't think so. I've had that problem all the time because the game interprets these fences as walls and so creates a new room. And honestly that is quite a bit annoying to me. This usually happens when I'm creating indoor balconies
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    So that is actually a bug and not supposed to happen? (With TS4, you never know...)

I've always had this problem, and it's one of the many, many reasons I don't enjoy building. In the beginning, I used to build the "garden room" first, then remove the floor and do the landscaping afterwards, but of course that doesn't help when the landscaping has already been done, so nowadays I usually do what @babajayne suggested and move several pieces of the fence together rather than drawing it in one go.
    It just occurred to me that I have had this issue when the fence was attached to the house. If you drag the fence tool from a foundation out, the fence has more height based on how high the foundation is. I think I kept a part like that but I drew the rest of the fencing from the other direction so it didn’t carry foundation height with it. The fence height won’t be consistent but you can combine different fencing to get approximately the same height.
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I have had this happen when enclosed an area away from the house, but it was before anything was planted so I just sledgehammered the floor. I don't know if would destroy the plants or not if already planted.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    It just occurred to me that I have had this issue when the fence was attached to the house. If you drag the fence tool from a foundation out, the fence has more height based on how high the foundation is. I think I kept a part like that but I drew the rest of the fencing from the other direction so it didn’t carry foundation height with it. The fence height won’t be consistent but you can combine different fencing to get approximately the same height.

Ah yes, you're right!! The yard in question has the stone fence connected on one end to the house!!