Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Country living gardening

I know how to plant giant pumpkins but it seems that medium and small pumpins are required for some recipies. Where do I find the seeds for these?

Comments

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    edited October 2021
    Small: The small varieties of these crops were not taken care of well enough but on the bright side, you’ll get nine of these crops from one garden plot so you have a lot of produce to use for canning and cooking. Don’t bother entering these puny things into the Finchwick Fair’s Oversized Crop Competition, though.

Medium: If you’ve taken decent care of your oversized crop, you’ll end up with two medium-sized crops in one garden plot. These aren’t great contenders for the Finchwick Fair, either, but can be sold for more simoleons than the small crops and are useful for cooking a variety of recipes.

Large: If you’ve taken impeccable care of your oversized crop, you’ll end up with one giant crop in your garden plot. These crops aren’t great for canning or cooking but sell for a lot of simoleons and have the potential to win you ribbons and other prizes at the Finchwick Fair.

https://simscommunity.info/2021/07/26/the-sims-4-cottage-living-oversized-crops-guide/
  • Options
    ZiafarZiafar Posts: 703 Member
    @simgirl1010 Thank you very much!
  • Options
    ChildrenofhurinChildrenofhurin Posts: 138 Member
    One correction for that article, small crops give you 4 of that crop, not 9.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    @Childrenofhurin thanks for the correction. 🙂
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I'm not sure this is working as intended. I can't find seed packets for the small and medium versions, and when I purchased them at the grocers, I wasn't able to plant them.

The oversized pumpkins seem to be borked - after harvesting them, I've been unable to can them. When I select canning and pumpkin, the oversized version is greyed out because I haven't got one in my inventory. (My pumpkin comes out 'perfect' quality, like all of my oversized crops, but the only thing I can do with it is turn it into an ornamental doorstop.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited October 2021
    @invisiblgirl The seeds are the same whether they become small, medium or oversized. It’s the care that determines the size. They all start off with 9 seedlings, then at some point they’ll merge to either 4 plants, 2 plants or 1. When you plant them, click one of the new soil patches and select the option to plant “oversized” crops/seeds, not the regular plant option.

I can’t confirm at the moment whether oversized pumpkins can be used in recipes, that may be working as intended according to the descriptions posted upthread. But it also says they’re better to win prizes at the fair and that’s a bunch of bologna.
  • Options
    I wonder if you can get rich with giant veggies.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    @Ziafar Yes, absolutely. I’ve been making a ton in my farm save. The oversized crops sell for several hundred, plus if you wait until the Saturday fair and haggle with the vendor, they sell for 25% more. On a regular day, haggling gets you 10% more. The Shameless reward trait is good to have when haggling.

Cheaper produce (not the new types of crops - those are always a good value) can be made into friendly animal treats and sold the same way. One mushroom worth 2 simoleons becomes a treat worth 21 simoleons with a good haggle.

But canning is extremely lucrative. I don’t have numbers off the top of my head but you can use a small crop and get 3 cans out of it which sell for a couple hundred or so each.

My sims grew so much, their fields are empty right now. They spent the winter canning and could do that forever with what they have and never run out of money.
  • Options
    That is VERY interesting. I will test all that!
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,565 Member
    I'm not sure this is working as intended. I can't find seed packets for the small and medium versions, and when I purchased them at the grocers, I wasn't able to plant them.

The oversized pumpkins seem to be borked - after harvesting them, I've been unable to can them. When I select canning and pumpkin, the oversized version is greyed out because I haven't got one in my inventory. (My pumpkin comes out 'perfect' quality, like all of my oversized crops, but the only thing I can do with it is turn it into an ornamental doorstop.)

Just use the oversized packet. Like what was stated before you'll have several pumpkins waiting. Ignore the optimize for large crop option, which has your Sim clear out all but one or two plants. Voila.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options

Just use the oversized packet. Like what was stated before you'll have several pumpkins waiting. Ignore the optimize for large crop option, which has your Sim clear out all but one or two plants. Voila.

You mean 'encourage crop growth', which my Sim always does? I'll give that a try. I still can't use the oversized pumpkin for canning - whether I put it in the refrigerator or in my Sim's inventory, when I hover over the pumpkin canning options, it tells me there is no oversized pumpkin available. The other giant plants can be canned just fine - it's only the pumpkin that doesn't seem to work.
  • Options
    EternalSunshineEternalSunshine Posts: 340 Member
    edited November 2021
    You mean 'encourage crop growth', which my Sim always does? I'll give that a try. I still can't use the oversized pumpkin for canning - whether I put it in the refrigerator or in my Sim's inventory, when I hover over the pumpkin canning options, it tells me there is no oversized pumpkin available. The other giant plants can be canned just fine - it's only the pumpkin that doesn't seem to work.

I'm not sure if this is the exact issue that you are experiencing, but there is currently a known bug that only orange pumpkins can be canned:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-CoL-Can-only-make-Pumpkin-Conserve-from-orange-pumpkins/m-p/10582282#M197173

Post edited by EternalSunshine on
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member

I'm not sure if this is the exact issue that you are experiencing, but there is currently a known bug that only orange pumpkins can be canned:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-CoL-Can-only-make-Pumpkin-Conserve-from-orange-pumpkins/m-p/10582282#M197173

Omg is that the problem?? I had a white oversized pumpkin and I could not can it. I was getting annoyed. Thank you for letting us know about this issue.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,882 Member
    edited November 2021
    I've been wondering about the situation with Lettuce for recipes if you have simple living lot challenge enabled.
    Other ingredients yield like 4-6 per day per plant when in season. And you can fit 4 plants in a garden plot, so 16-24 harvestables per plot per day.
    The lettuce is one of those potentially big crops, so maximum 4 harvestables per plot per... year?
    And you need a whole lettuce to make 1 portion of garden salad. Which makes garden salad suddenly a very precious commodity.
    Am I missing something or is this very unbalanced?

• Options

That's probably the bug - all my pumpkins turn out white or green or something in between. Now, I'm motivated - my Sims are going to grow an orange pumpkin if I have to cover the lot in pumpkin patches. (Bugs aren't annoyances, they're challenges!)
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I've been wondering about the situation with Lettuce for recipes if you have simple living lot challenge enabled.
    Other ingredients yield like 4-6 per day per plant when in season. And you can fit 4 plants in a garden plot, so 16-24 harvestables per plot per day.
    The lettuce is one of those potentially big crops, so maximum 4 harvestables per plot per... year?
    And you need a whole lettuce to make 1 portion of garden salad. Which makes garden salad suddenly a very precious commodity.
    Am I missing something or is this very unbalanced?
    @mightysprite
    I’ve learned to can the oversized produce - you’ll get so much more out of it! With lettuce, for example, you need 1 (of ANY size) to make 1 serving of garden salad (along with a tomato). But you can turn it into lettuce conserve and it’s exactly the same thing, only you get more jars out of it, depending on your size of lettuce.
    Small - 2 jars
    Medium - 5 jars
    Oversized- 12 jars

Knowing this, no one would use an oversized lettuce on a single garden salad when you can get 12 jars out of it, and it takes 2 jars of lettuce to make 4 or 8 servings which means you have the potential to make 48 servings of garden salad, provided you also have 12 tomatoes (or 4, really- because you can triple your tomatoes by canning those, too, and tomato sauce is usable in garden salad - mmmmm! 🥴)

IRL, lettuce conserve sounds gross, but hey. I don’t have to eat it!
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,882 Member
    wow @babajayne yes that sounds like the smoothie version of garden salad, ick! but thank you so much for the tip! I never would have thought to use canned veggies for salad ingredients...
  • Options

That's probably the bug - all my pumpkins turn out white or green or something in between. Now, I'm motivated - my Sims are going to grow an orange pumpkin if I have to cover the lot in pumpkin patches. (Bugs aren't annoyances, they're challenges!)

I did get my orange pumpkins, and I was finally able to make pumpkin conserve. I'm extremely pleased about this. (I sold my useless white gourds to the grocery stall. She doesn't care, she'll just pass them on in her 'mystery boxes'. I suspect they're like the fruitcake that just keeps giving.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    wow @babajayne yes that sounds like the smoothie version of garden salad, ick! but thank you so much for the tip! I never would have thought to use canned veggies for salad ingredients...

It seems pretty weird to me, too, but you know, colonial Americans used to preserve full heads of lettuce in brine. At Monticello, they served brined Tennis Ball lettuce.