The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

About the Animals' lifespan

JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
Hi, I'm about to purchase Cottage Living soon. I heard the animals have a short life than my friend simmers expected. So I'm curious how long usually they live in Sim day...? I googled but I didn't find the answer I'm looking for. I saw only the treat can live the animals longer..

Comments

• invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I wasn't paying attention specifically to the lifespan, but I think I got the chicken in my current save when I started it in Spring and it was taken by Grim at the end of Fall, so about 21 days? I did not give her any 'healthy' treats.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    There is a toggle if you don't want the animals to age, although they may still get killed by the fox. If you don't want your chickens to be attacked, they need to be behind a fence with a locked gate. Llamas are also supposed to chase off foxes.
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    @invisiblgirl, @Isharell
    Thanks. Will they still age up if I stop aging all sims in town?
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Jeansoo wrote: »
    @invisiblgirl, @Isharell
    Thanks. Will they still age up if I stop aging all sims in town?

No, disabling aging for Sims do not affect the animals in CL. It does stop aging of "real" pets (aka pets that take up a household slot).
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • EternalSunshineEternalSunshine Posts: 340 Member

Just FYI - Some people have reported that the animal aging toggle mentioned by @Isharell is not working:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-SAVES-CoL-Animal-Aging-off-Animals-Still-Dying/td-p/10550660
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Just FYI - Some people have reported that the animal aging toggle mentioned by @Isharell is not working:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-SAVES-CoL-Animal-Aging-off-Animals-Still-Dying/td-p/10550660

Doesn't surprise me. He said cynically, after complaining for a whole weekend about how incredibly buggy Cottage Living is.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
    edited October 2021
    @Beardedgeek, @EternalSunshine
    Thanks so much. I’m waiting until Black Friday for a good sale. :D
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    @EternalSunshine Well, darn, I didn't realize the animals were aging. It was working last time I really played for more than a couple of hours. I guess now it's bugged. I hadn't noticed because I've been remodeling and just fiddling with things more than playing for the last couple of weeks. I've been trying not to get attached to any of the animals since I keep the Fox trait enabled; I know they'll get one of my chickens eventually.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    I'm a bit confused with their aging, so I can not tell you how this works. I play rotationally and I noticed that some big animals seem to be nearly dead after playing them for only 1 simday - I wonder if they aged while I played other lots. On one farm I had a project running for 4 sim weeks but played also other houses in between, but those cows are mostly not very old yet. Maybe they age faster when not played...? I had aging off for all my sims during these sessions, but I did not toggle anything re animals in particular. I expected their aging to be off if my sims' aging is off, but I obviously was wrong about that. Hoping for some upclearing from Maxis as they start fixing bugs.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
    Isharell wrote: »
    @EternalSunshine Well, darn, I didn't realize the animals were aging. It was working last time I really played for more than a couple of hours. I guess now it's bugged. I hadn't noticed because I've been remodeling and just fiddling with things more than playing for the last couple of weeks. I've been trying not to get attached to any of the animals since I keep the Fox trait enabled; I know they'll get one of my chickens eventually.

Will the fox kill the evil chicken too?

I'm a bit confused with their aging, so I can not tell you how this works. I play rotationally and I noticed that some big animals seem to be nearly dead after playing them for only 1 simday - I wonder if they aged while I played other lots. On one farm I had a project running for 4 sim weeks but played also other houses in between, but those cows are mostly not very old yet. Maybe they age faster when not played...? I had aging off for all my sims during these sessions, but I did not toggle anything re animals in particular. I expected their aging to be off if my sims' aging is off, but I obviously was wrong about that. Hoping for some upclearing from Maxis as they start fixing bugs.

Thanks. As you know, we cannot see their UI status, it will be very hard to find their exact life days.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,466 Member
    I didn't know about the toggle heretofore mentioned. I did notice I had one chick who was a perpetual chick until I sold her off. LOL The three chicks hatched after her all aged up just fine. But Lady Bird was still a chick. Then another chick hatched and when that one aged up and still Lady Bird hadn't, I decided my lot is either corrupted or the chick must go. I chose the latter.
    Jeansoo wrote: »

Thanks. As you know, we cannot see their UI status, it will be very hard to find their exact life days.

Actually, I think all you have to do is note what day it is when your Sim purchases a chicken or when a chick hatches and then keep track of that until suddenly you're informed they have very little time left … perhaps a few more pets before they leave? Or however it's worded.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/