Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is wash tubs feasible now? And does Speed Cleaner help with laundry?

Basically... I am trying to decide if I should implement laundy in my cottage at all; my experience is that wash tubs just doesn't work since they literally take half a day to do laundry and 1 full day for laundry to dry on a clothes line (if it's not raining or snowing, in which case it can literally take eons of time since well... most of winters and falls are rain or snow).

The alternative is to try to fit a laundry machine and a dryer in a small cottage and ruin the look and feel of the whole thing...
Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek

Comments

• Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Basically... I am trying to decide if I should implement laundy in my cottage at all; my experience is that wash tubs just doesn't work since they literally take half a day to do laundry and 1 full day for laundry to dry on a clothes line (if it's not raining or snowing, in which case it can literally take eons of time since well... most of winters and falls are rain or snow).

The alternative is to try to fit a laundry machine and a dryer in a small cottage and ruin the look and feel of the whole thing...

I think the speed cleaner does help a bit, but yes, the tubs take forever. (Actually, I've found that mopping up after doing the laundry takes quite a bit of time, and speed cleaner definitely helps with that.) I did find that I was less likely to get 'used' quality after doing all that work the last time I used the wash tub. I think it's a little faster to wash clothes, though it's going to take some time, no matter what. I don't know how our grandmothers did it.

The long period to dry on lines is realistic. Obviously, clothes aren't going to dry if it's snowing or raining, and I'd expect a day to dry when there is no weather. I designate one day a week for wash day (the same day bills are delivered), and that seems to be enough for one or two Sims.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    You could probably put the laundry line under a roof to avid the rain.
  • Options
    QuaayQuaay Posts: 557 Member
    I'll have to invest in Speed Cleaner. I hate that it takes my Sim five hours to wash laundry in the tub. That is the one thing I always have to fast forward timex3 because it's so tedious. I can never seem to get a non-bugged washer or dryer so the wash tub is only thing I can get to work usually. I should probably just give up on laundry at this point lol
  • Options

I think the speed cleaner does help a bit, but yes, the tubs take forever. (Actually, I've found that mopping up after doing the laundry takes quite a bit of time, and speed cleaner definitely helps with that.) I did find that I was less likely to get 'used' quality after doing all that work the last time I used the wash tub. I think it's a little faster to wash clothes, though it's going to take some time, no matter what. I don't know how our grandmothers did it.

The long period to dry on lines is realistic. Obviously, clothes aren't going to dry if it's snowing or raining, and I'd expect a day to dry when there is no weather. I designate one day a week for wash day (the same day bills are delivered), and that seems to be enough for one or two Sims.

Okay, I experimented with this yesterday, and I don't think the speed cleaner helps much. Being 'energised' and having higher fitness skill probably do help, however. It took about 2.5 hours to wash the laundry the first time (my Sim had no fitness skill, since she does yoga), and another couple of hours to re-wash it because it came out 'used'.

As it rained every single day during the winter, the clothes are still 'drying' on the line (or not). I have an ultra-tiny home (32 spaces), so I had to place the hamper outdoors, and it appears to be leaking water.

It would be helpful if the game allowed us to place the lines indoors. I think this might work with MOO, but I'm leery of using that cheat. @crocobaura 's suggestion to place them under a roof eave might work, however, and would work with the tiny home.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I found that I could get them to stop the washing by clicking on the tub and getting the clothes hung on the clothes line.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    As mentioned, having a high fitness skill helps with the washing, and speed cleaner helps with the puddles (though my Sim's butler usually gets them). I also have my clothesline under a roof, so rain and snow don't affect drying time.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    Laundry disaster!!!

Washed the laundry, it came out 'used'. Washed it again, 'used'. Two more times, 'used', and my Sim was fed up. We left the pile of wet laundry on the ground and went to bed. (My Sim, not me.) Got up in the morning, had my Sim gather the piles of laundry around the lot (the wet pile), and start again. 'Used'. Added a rose, figured it might at least cover up the smell.

Finally, I got 'pristine' laundry, hung it up, and my Sim was happy...mostly. She seems to object to the hamper, as it's apparently 'dirty'. And the flower additive has given her a 'confident' buff, which is annoying, since I want her 'focused'. In any case, she smells good, and that's all that really matters.

I'm thinking of trying sage in the laundry - I think that makes 'focused' juice in the juicing machine?
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I broke down and installed a washer and a dryer. I mean she has a modern stereo, so...
  • Options
    I broke down and installed a washer and a dryer. I mean she has a modern stereo, so...

At least there's a phonograph version of the stereo.

Anyway, sage is considered to be a flower, so it makes Sims 'confident'. She managed to do the last laundry in only two tries without an additive. Otherwise, maybe I'll try a lemon or something that would count as 'food'. (It never made sense to put food in the laundry - that's what I'm trying to get out of the clothes. At least, in my case, but then, I start the day by pouring coffee down my front just to get it over with.)
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member

Well, wash tubs were all they had in the 18th century (and I would imagine even earlier than that). Which makes me understand better, why no laundry was done during the harsh winter months. The first good day after the winter, was laundry day, which of course took the entire day, depending on how many in the family. To think they used a batting stick to swirl the dirty clothes about and then bluing to make certain the whites came out white, squeezed the water from them using a box-mangle and then draped the clothing over bushes — we've got it so better than we know these days. LOL

As for whether or not you should use them in your game, I would say are you Off-the-Grid, or in what century is your game placed? These two questions might help you decide.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    Laundry disaster!!!

Washed the laundry, it came out 'used'. Washed it again, 'used'. Two more times, 'used', and my Sim was fed up. We left the pile of wet laundry on the ground and went to bed. (My Sim, not me.) Got up in the morning, had my Sim gather the piles of laundry around the lot (the wet pile), and start again. 'Used'. Added a rose, figured it might at least cover up the smell.

Finally, I got 'pristine' laundry, hung it up, and my Sim was happy...mostly. She seems to object to the hamper, as it's apparently 'dirty'. And the flower additive has given her a 'confident' buff, which is annoying, since I want her 'focused'. In any case, she smells good, and that's all that really matters.

I'm thinking of trying sage in the laundry - I think that makes 'focused' juice in the juicing machine?

I just replace the washer and dryer when that nonsense starts up. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Laundry disaster!!!

I just replace the washer and dryer when that nonsense starts up. :open_mouth:

I have found that 90% of the time a Reset of the object works... only it is NOT the washer nor the dryer. It's actually the laundry bin that needs resetting!
  • Options

Well, wash tubs were all they had in the 18th century (and I would imagine even earlier than that). Which makes me understand better, why no laundry was done during the harsh winter months. The first good day after the winter, was laundry day, which of course took the entire day, depending on how many in the family. To think they used a batting stick to swirl the dirty clothes about and then bluing to make certain the whites came out white, squeezed the water from them using a box-mangle and then draped the clothing over bushes — we've got it so better than we know these days. LOL

As for whether or not you should use them in your game, I would say are you Off-the-Grid, or in what century is your game placed? These two questions might help you decide.

They need to add this kind of washing machine. It's completely off the grid and can be used as a massage machine too. :lol:

https://www.worldrecordacademy.org/records/technology/worlds-first-natural-washing-machine-romanian-whirlpool-vortex-218262
  • Options
    crocobaura wrote: »

They need to add this kind of washing machine. It's completely off the grid and can be used as a massage machine too. :lol:

https://www.worldrecordacademy.org/records/technology/worlds-first-natural-washing-machine-romanian-whirlpool-vortex-218262

I still think the idea of the washing machine built into an exercise bike that was part of some concept art brilliant for both off the grid and also just fitness fanatic Sims in general. Especially now when the Bicycle animations are already done!
  • Options

I still think the idea of the washing machine built into an exercise bike that was part of some concept art brilliant for both off the grid and also just fitness fanatic Sims in general. Especially now when the Bicycle animations are already done!

Yes, in some places they have bicycle powered electricity. Think it was an airport you had to peddle to charge your phone. Also, there's this. If they want to watch youtube, they need to pedal.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3058307/this-classroom-stationary-bike-generates-electricity-from-kids-who-pedal-as-they-learn
  • Options

Yes, in some places they have bicycle powered electricity. Think it was an airport you had to peddle to charge your phone. Also, there's this. If they want to watch youtube, they need to pedal.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3058307/this-classroom-stationary-bike-generates-electricity-from-kids-who-pedal-as-they-learn

It wasn't even electrical, it was just the washing drum as the front wheel, so you literally washed your clothes by pedaling.

Here's an IRL version of it (they exist for real):
    26974_hd.jpg?1457516237
  • Options
    I love the idea of the laundry bike!

I have tried lemons for scenting my laundry, and unfortunately, they also count as 'flowers'. (So do growfruit, the other item in my Sim's inventory.) My Sim was 'confident' for the rest of the week. Ugh.

Today is laundry day again, and I'm going to find something that counts as 'food' to put in my laundry. It's an exciting life I lead.
  • Options
    NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member

As it rained every single day during the winter, the clothes are still 'drying' on the line (or not). I have an ultra-tiny home (32 spaces), so I had to place the hamper outdoors, and it appears to be leaking water.

Hampers get wet under the rain and puddles form around them. You can extend the roof on one of the sides and set a laundry area with hamper, hanging line and tub underneath it. That way the hamper won't get wet and the clothes will dry even if it's snowing or raining.
    Happy simming!
  • Options
    Nushka wrote: »

Hampers get wet under the rain and puddles form around them. You can extend the roof on one of the sides and set a laundry area with hamper, hanging line and tub underneath it. That way the hamper won't get wet and the clothes will dry even if it's snowing or raining.

Yes, the roof extension is a great idea - I've been using that idea. I hadn't thought to put my hamper under it, as well.
  • Options
    Continuing with my laundry additive experiments, I put chickpea spaghetti into the laundry tub. (Turns out, food is actually prepared food.) This is not advisable. My Sim dumped the food in the laundry with an evil cackle and a thought bubble of food-stained clothing.