Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think the Sims 4 & its DLC is too US/euro focused?

1235...Next

Comments

• Options
    DuskregnDuskregn Posts: 40 Member
    Well yes but actually no - US-centric certainly, but eurocentric? We have 2 UK based worlds and one hodgepodge of german/british, i still can't play anywhere close to my european home country. I need non-tropical waterfront lots, mountainous lots, bogland lots, tundra lots, forest lots, lots at/above the tree line. We definitely need more varied worlds (and food, and clothes, behaviour, and activities... let me eat sheep for my grand meal you cowards) from all continents except the US at this point. They give us oasis springs and oasis springs 2.0 with strangerville but can't give us a livable south-american world smh
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    Yes
    The kits and the free content try to add things from the world, that's a good thing.
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,035 Member
    edited January 2022
    In term of holiday and tradition, Love Day (St Valentin), Harvestfest (Thanksgiving ?) and Winterfest (aka Xmas) are US.

For example St Patrick Day, Chinese Lunar Year or Day of the Dead (Día de Muertos) are missing .

dia-de10.jpggm9w2g10.png

I feel a lot of holidays could be added (*cough* Swedish midsummer *cough*), however, I still cannot entirely agree with you as, first of all Christmas and Valentines day are present in many parts of the world, as are harvestfests just not exactly the same as thanksgiving, but that can be modified, and many more holidays have items and traditions that could work in creating them yourself even if they're not premade.

There are clothes and traditions to fit Day of the Dead (offer sugar skull , mourn the dead) and quite a bit of latino-inspired food items. They have added clothes, decor, and soon food, to match the Chinese Lunar Year as well and there are several Chanukah items as well, as well as Diwali objects (though there could be more connected to those holidays of course).

St. Patrick Day would be harder, but not impossible to create as well as Walpurgis night and Bonfire night. Ramadan would be represented by fasting (although again, more would be nice).

That said there are many holidays you just can't create on your own, midsummer being one of them but hardly the only one. It would be great if they could create some kits for different cultures (food, specific decor, holiday items and traditions, a few grand meals) so that we could download what is relevant for the cultures we want to play. That way you don't get your bb filled with items you'll never use, but can still easily modify the game to the culture of your liking.

Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2022
    No
    It’s a game made in the US and was originally made to emulate suburban US society. (I also assume the main fanbase are Americans, but that’s just me assuming, since it’s a game made in the US.)

Adding more diversity is good, since the US is made up of various groups and has diversity within the states, but I think it’s fine as a US-centric game since that it has always been, to me, and it is where its developers and (some? most?) of its target audience is from. They can always keep adding multicultural content, like they’ve been doing, as always.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited February 2022
    Yes
    At school, the teacher always talked about the "Melting pot" as a symbol of USA diversity.

But the game never really showed this aspect.
    The sims are European, African, rarely Asian, Arab or Latino and never native American.

GDPX8Y9CUINB.png
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited February 2022
    No
    The amount of kits and packs that added multi culture to game I can't say yes completely, even my wedding stories is adding more culture with weddings, worlds we have a few that represents different cultures, even the city world isn't all US, it has some Tokyo vibes, I hope this doesn't come out the wrong way but I personally want the developers to take a little break from adding more culture just for a little while and this is coming from someone that hasn't had a Scottish world yet and I didn't see any kilts on the trailer which would be fitting for a wedding pack, I would like another world that doesn't have RL culture, a kit that just adds pyjamas and kids and toddler stuff and pool items and another occult

Edit: I love they are adding lots of different cultures in the game and hope they continue but I do feel it's been alot recently, that I just want a pyjamas kit
    Post edited by Nikkih on