Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How would you rate your own cooking skills?

waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
edited September 2021 in Off Topic Chat
Post edited by EA_Mako on

How would you rate your own cooking skills? 87 votes

0-1
12%
Isb917CaitxcatblueyblueskyEnkiSchmidtEgonVMcalaprfySassycottonSeashoreLiviaSharoniapink_coco10Kimmer 11 votes
5%
Isa_MenezesGracieO312RedShoe7HillyBethGrumpyGlowfish 5 votes
6%
icmnfrshbixtersBrandontaylorSimmingalVeeDubKingOfEyeballs 6 votes
10%
NRowegreydonnHarukotyanSweetieWright_84AstroKelvinAmandèleMissLyn2408elinnnstar 9 votes
10%
crocobauraTheSpotted_CmcruddDarkLady2788KennziKaigemitchiebanjoDaraviZoeyevesterLynnPlayz1 9 votes
13%
Akl500PSimplyJenBabykittyjadeDeKayHermitgirlKendranaBehappy1stmikamakimonlogionInuMiroLoverhaisinCalico45 12 votes
14%
auroraael14Mariefoxprice83ashcrash19Mizzila1297AngelEb95xLunaSimsxbirdonawirePatriceDaWaterRatKerriganAntiquaMoonlightGrahamRabellaka_Simming 13 votes
12%
lisamwittbabajaynesimgirl1010dreamerz13barracuda1574sillyangel0906MDianaSimsafternoonbaboon[Deleted User]FatTribble23mightysprite 11 votes
3%
waterywatermelonEllupelluelluGirlFromIpanema 3 votes
9%
goodcakebaker62CAPTAIN_NXR7Movotticatmando830NushnushganayGreenTurtleignominiusrexJunkyPoem 8 votes

Comments

• VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Pretty much "just enough not to die." :lol:
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    I can follow instructions, lol.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Interesting Question. I mean, considering that Roast Chicken is the top level item, and I have made Roast Chicken several times, I could say a 10, but at the same time, there are lower level recipes I haven't tried, and I'm terrible at flipping pancakes. (Gourmet cooking I've only gotten to level 3, as the highest level thing I've made on that list is Fritatas, though not usually of the spinach variety.)

If I wasn't using the recipe list as a guide, I'd say maybe about a 6 or 7. Too good for the "your cooking stinks" cooking shows, but not good enough for the "Excellent Home Chef" cooking shows.
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member

1 to 2. I can cook a pizza in the oven without burning it. :)
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    edited September 2021
    VeeDub wrote: »
    Pretty much "just enough not to die." :lol:

this.

I can do basic stuff without grim reaper having to visit but don't be expecting anything fancy

also very much appreciate unneededly detailed instructions cause i don't like freestyling it makes me anxious

like please assume i have no brain functions at all times if trying to explain how to cook a thing
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    I can cook and bake a few recipes but I need to be well rested otherwise results tend to be on the funny side. :lol:
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    but I need to be well rested otherwise results tend to be on the funny side

and yes also this. and never be rushed to do anything i can't count the times ive accidentally put the eggs in the trash and the shells in the food cause someone distracted me or my brain wasn't there
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I do okay but complicated recipes still really throw me. I enjoy cooking but I live alone so don’t get to do it very often
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I'm competent at feeding myself and have experimented and made creative meals (hand made pasta dinner: made the bread I turned into garlic toast, made the pasta, made the pasta sauce, etc.). However, I'm not so great at feeding others because it is so suited to my varying tastes (and motivation/inspiration). Plus, I haven't cooked in a while. I've largely avoided it with my kitchen setup.

So, practically speaking, I've got some skills and experience but am not the most reliable cook.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited September 2021
    0-1
    None existent. :D

I don't enjoy cooking so most of the time I cook freezer foods that I can just put in the oven.
  • MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    I'm basing my score on my ability to do things Sims can do at different cooking levels.

I can Talk About Cooking to others (level 3). I experienced the Competent Cook moodlet just the other night, so I must be at least level 5.

My specialties are Chili and Omelets. A Sim can make Chili at level 6, and an Omelet at level 7.

But, at the same time, I have no trick moves in my repertoire. If I tried to flip an olive oil bottle and dropped it, the way I've seen Sims do countless times, I'd be banned from the kitchen for life.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,876 Member
    edited September 2021
    Levels 9 and 10 are where the sims start getting into the dishes that I don't know how to make or couldn't figure out without a recipe. (Or maybe that's gourmet cooking? Can roast chicken really require cooking skill 10? It's one of the easiest festive dinners I know, as long as I have a thermometer)
    I have no trick moves in my repertoire. If I tried to flip an olive oil bottle and dropped it, the way I've seen Sims do countless times, I'd be banned from the kitchen for life.

Fair. And, same.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,862 Member
    I love to cook and bake. Have a huge collection of cookbooks. My favorites are two by Alton Brown. He really explains the science of cooking and baking. I also love the America's Test Kitchen cookbooks, and Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I think a 6 is fair for me. I cook ALOT, but my dishes seem to be simple home dishes. Sometimes I get a little creative on dishes if Im feeling adventurous and want to try something different. I have a dry brined roast chicken that is my pride and joy <3
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    I'm an excellent cook but need to work on variety. I'm Southern so I grew up around iron skillet cooking and honestly, you can't beat the quality of cooking in a heavy skillet.
  • FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 846 Member
    Kerrigan wrote: »
    I'm an excellent cook but need to work on variety. I'm Southern so I grew up around iron skillet cooking and honestly, you can't beat the quality of cooking in a heavy skillet.

This. I have a collection of iron skillets, but if anyone tries to cook anything but cornbread in my dedicated cornbread skillet, they're gonna get hurt. I've had that puppy for YEARS and it's seasoned perfectly. I tried to go by RL standards and not the sims. Roast chicken being a level 10 dish is ludicrous! It's perfectly easy. I've been cooking for most of my life. I had to keep 2 husbands (not at the same time, mind you) and 2 children fed! I can't cook fancy stuff, and don't really have a desire to, but I'll put my jambalaya, fried chicken and German potato salad up against anyone.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,381 Member
    0-1
    I hate most foods, I don't like eating, so I've never cared about even learning to cook.
  • GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    Cooking is actually one of the hardest things to do when you have a physical disability like mine. Can’t stand for very long, pans being too heavy to lift and spacing out (because of brain fog) are all things I struggle with when cooking so I’ve never really enjoyed the task that much. Not to mention dislocating my shoulder opening the fridge door. That’s always fun! Plus I am constantly nauseous and have every food allergy under the sun so I’m pretty much an eat to live kinda person.
  • GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    I'd like to think in quite good. I can make some pretty fancy dishes and I'm not afraid to experiment. :smile:
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    0-1
    I can use a kettle and a microwave. :D
  • pink_coco10pink_coco10 Posts: 54 Member
    0-1
    I can make eggs with bacon :#
  • haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    I think I'm quite good at cooking and I like to cook! I can follow recipes and I like to learn new things. I only wish we had a dishwasher. I'd cook more if we had one :sweat_smile:
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited September 2021
    I am okay at cooking. I cook pretty normal food but I have learned a bit more from cooking different recipes over the years.
  • GreenTurtleGreenTurtle Posts: 153 Member
    Just made a batch of ambrosia for diner, storing the leftovers in the freezer in case of an accidental death. B)
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    I can make eggs with bacon :#

With or without burning down the kitchen? ;)

I'm pretty lazy, but I can cook good enough and I can follow the receipts even the more complicated. But I'm a loser in cooking feasts. Too many fishmeals have been going directly to the trash bin. Although I like baking, fresh made bread is so delicious. If there wasn't the dirty dishes aftermath.