The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you want out of a Romance Expansion?

StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
edited September 2021 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
And besides slow dancing and cuddling.

What interactions besides these above do you want?
Imagine a chemistry system is introduced. How do you want it to operate?
Lets say a new world is added. What do you want it to be themed from?
What new activities should be brought it?
What should be added to build and buy mode?
What should be added to CAS?
What kind of aspirations or new whims should come with it?
The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,836 Member
    Enable NPCs to initiate asking to be boyfriend/girlfriend, proposals, first kiss, first woohoo, and the played sim has the opportunity to accept or reject.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think Chemistry should be sort of hidden. Like, we can't tell what traits our sim will be into or not, but we can tell whether our sim is into a particular other sim or not. And then it's easier to succeed with romance interactions between two sims who are mutually into each other, but harder when one sim is not into the other.
    Maybe there could be cheats to set your sim's chemistry (I know some people really like to create sims in CAS who are destined to be together), but choosing turnons/turnoffs on purpose for your sim wouldn't be the default. I hated that in Sims 2.

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited September 2021
    I would love for them to add back a few of the romantic interactions from past sims games. Slow dancing (Sims 3), cuddling in bed (Sims 2), have the make-out sessions given an overhaul. Some sort of chemistry added, now that they have likes and dislikes, but not the zodiac signs. I would love for them to give all the previous sims created before the likes and dislikes given a proper amount of these. Sims such as those in Willow Creek (Landgraabs, Johnny Zest, etc.), Oasis Springs (Goths, Pancakes, etc.), and so on. They could get the community involved in this, by working on the likes and dislikes of each of the premade sims, by hash tagging them on the gallery. They would, of course, have the final say in what actually makes it through.

I wouldn't really want them to add a new town, just overhaul all the current ones already in the game.

Others would involve a prom, and a wedding overhaul, where the guest would actually act as a guest and sit down during the ceremony, then congratulate the couple afterward, and gifts to be given.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    If they ever add any sort of "chemistry" or "attraction" system, I want an option to not have it. A toggle or something, whatever. Just as long as it isn't forced on me. I've been doing just fine determining for myself what my sims are into and what they're not, thanks very much.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I want tropical paradise world and cool minimalist wedding dresses. For all ages.
    I would use the world for something like dating reality tv show. And for honeymoons, of course.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited September 2021
    A chemistry system should to be divided into Social Chemistry and Romantic chemistry.
    Friends and lovers. This is basically a mix of personality trait compatibility, interests, likes and dislikes, sentiments. and the friendship and romance levels.

And then there is the attraction system, which would be based on physical traits, grooming, and attire.
    The combination of the three: social chemistry, romantic chemistry, and physical attraction should create quite the range of social relationship levels.

I've played with mods for this and I found that sometimes I would roll with what happened naturally when sims became attracted to one another and other times I manipulated the factors, so certain sims would be destined to be together. I agree with mightysprite. It would be great if NPCs could initiate interest in your sims, or propose marriage. There should also be several responses your sim could to another sim's advances.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    Enable NPCs to initiate asking to be boyfriend/girlfriend, proposals, first kiss, first woohoo, and the played sim has the opportunity to accept or reject.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think Chemistry should be sort of hidden. Like, we can't tell what traits our sim will be into or not, but we can tell whether our sim is into a particular other sim or not. And then it's easier to succeed with romance interactions between two sims who are mutually into each other, but harder when one sim is not into the other.
    Maybe there could be cheats to set your sim's chemistry (I know some people really like to create sims in CAS who are destined to be together), but choosing turnons/turnoffs on purpose for your sim wouldn't be the default. I hated that in Sims 2.

I'd like (most of it) to be hidden. Also because the UI will be enjoyable only to a certain point. Back in TS2 the UI was stuffed with all kinds of icons, it simply got too much to keep track on. I know much of this is already hidden in fans in TS4, but it can get overwhelming anyway. Besides, we don't need to know all those details (could be optional of course).

I prefer "He is attracted to her" over "He is attracted to her because she likes green, she has a memory of fishing guppy, she knows how to cook pancakes and she insulted less than 5 persons".
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    I like the idea of a hidden chemistry system with an option to toggle it on or off.

Also:
    • Dating Sites and Apps: For Sims who are actively looking for (a quick) romance. IRL I wouldn’t go near those things, but in the Sims 3 I was constantly at it. That way it’s clear what other sims are looking for and it’s fun to be checking out attractive sims and organize dates with them. The Player reward would make more sense too …. Attractive and unattractive sims could be generated based on an active sims’ likes/ dislikes. A complex system perhaps, but hopefully it will also help keep the townie fashionista situation in check. Or make it worse…😂
    • A Horoscope System with an option to create our own signs: If a player doesn’t want an existing horoscope, they should be able to rename and edit or add icons / likes/ dislikes / traits to that sign. Fortunetelling could be part of this and doesn’t have to be merely focused on romance.
    • Love ‘O Meters- Just for fun.
    • Love Boating - Being able to take a little rowing boat or dingy to one of the lakes and have a romantic boat picnic.
    • Hand in Hand Interactions: go for a stroll hand in hand. Skating hand in hand. We just need more of these subtle interactions to make Sims look like they actually care and are attracted to one another.

• PastelMermaidPastelMermaid Posts: 1,298 Member
    [*] Dating Sites and Apps: For Sims who are actively looking for (a quick) romance. IRL I wouldn’t go near those things, but in the Sims 3 I was constantly at it. That way it’s clear what other sims are looking for and it’s fun to be checking out attractive sims and organize dates with them. The Player reward would make more sense too …. Attractive and unattractive sims could be generated based on an active sims’ likes/ dislikes. A complex system perhaps, but hopefully it will also help keep the townie fashionista situation in check. Or make it worse…😂

^ this, this i am here for - even if it was a more basic version, like a rabbit hole esk thing (like when you get invited to certain things via friends etc - celebrity parties, theatre trips and such) and depending on the choice you make while interacting with the app you could have a chance pop up of "things are going well... what do you do?" - chance for sims to have accidental pregnancy and what not.
    tumblr_nvqukkenkr1udwsc5o7_250.gif

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    I would love a jewelry shop for when it's time to propose. I would love if sims could choose their rings and some would cost more than others. Also jewelry gifts like necklaces and bangles, rings too. The bear fur rug with the option for woohoo would be nice to make a comeback. It could come in whacky colours if they fear we advocates killing of real bears. The champagne toasting set also needs to return and slow dancing and kiss up the arm. If they decide to throw in some tango dancing I'll be forever happy.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member

Chemistry being hidden is an interesting idea. Id def use cheats to see it though. Sims 2 had some weird stuff for Chemistry. I wouldnt want my sim attracted to "stink" and i wouldn't want them attracted to occults since i dont play with them.

Chemistry being hidden is an interesting idea. Id def use cheats to see it though. Sims 2 had some weird stuff for Chemistry. I wouldnt want my sim attracted to "stink" and i wouldn't want them attracted to occults since i dont play with them.

Just because they are attracted to sims with questionable traits doesn't mean that you need to pursue the relationship or act on their attraction. 😁
    crocobaura wrote: »

Just because they are attracted to sims with questionable traits doesn't mean that you need to pursue the relationship or act on their attraction. 😁

Yeah but for storytelling you may want to change it. Either way id use cheats because none of my sims will be attracted to "stink" period lol

• SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,950 Member
    edited September 2021
    Besides slow dancing and cuddling, I would like to see:

A bear skin rug type of romantic actions, toasting, making out, woohoo, embracing each other, even romantic talk while on the rug

A picnic basket and a blanket for two, to have a romantic outing. They should be able to take it with them to place it on a beach, or by a pond, in the forest, etc. I would also like to see the blanket and picnic basket be able to be used for a family outing too, so the family could sit on the ground and eat. Maybe two different types of blankets and baskets one for romance, one for family actions/talk.

I want to see footsies, toasting, and new romantic actions while eating at a restaurant.

I want to see spooning in bed and being able to lay and talk, flirt etc. in bed.

Someone else mentioned holding hands while walking, skating, etc. I would like to see that too.

I would like to see chemistry and attraction too. But I would like to be able to choose who my sim has chemistry and attraction to ( without cheats ). I would love NPC’s to have theirs hidden unless you decide to play them, then you should be able to change it if you want to. I don’t like having to fool around with going into a cheat to change things. It’s normal for people to change as things happen in their life.

This is out of the romance field, but I think we should be able to change traits too without cheats if we want to. I also think we should be able to read books to add extra traits, and it would be neat if our sims could read a magazine to have temporary changes, such as romantic, adventurous, sad, sentimental, etc for several hours at a time.

I would also like to see CAS changed to be able to start people off as boyfriend/girlfriend, engaged, and pregnant.as well as adding in-laws, and adopted children in CAS.

I would like to see a wedding outfit category so we can choose outfits to be married in. ( a costume category as well for costume parties etc ).

Also, I’d loved to see bridal showers, bachelor/bachelorette parties, and baby showers as well.

We should be able to plan a honeymoon as well. And please give us a hotel type lot.

New wedding dresses, tuxes, wedding bouquets, veils, tiara’s etc. would be a nice edition.

Someone else mentioned being able to buy wedding bands, engagement rings, etc. I think we should be able to make jewelry stores too, as well as a candy shop, with a romantic heart box of chocolates as well as other types of candy.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited September 2021
    I've spammed so many threads that i don't even know anymore
    ...and since i still made ridiculously long comment i shall put under spoiler
    I just really want couple dancing and i want it to be more than it was before with different dance styles and all

like sure i'll take slow dancing but it does make be a little bitter if all it ends up being is this sims3 style slowdance
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5h775VvXw70
    like it could be so much more
    bring in the tango,rumba, stepdance, swing, whatever they call that club rub thing...[insert about 100 more dance styles they could do]

and I would really like to have couples doing things together in like romantic way such as watching tv or reading books or having picnics or boating and floating together with il thingies or if we ever have motorcycles riding those together like okay its mostly cuddling in different ways but look there can never be too many cuddles

oh and couple skating be nice yes

I also wish we could have preferences for if sims are interested in masculine,feminine, neither or both etc sims because it does feel a little strange when every sim is supposedly into every sim

which also brings me to: Id also like different types of likes and dislikes sort of like how we had turn offs/turn ons in ts2 but maybe just more options

think it would also be lovely if sims could like or dislike occult behaviors like hissing or whatever cause idk i just think its ridiculous every sim finds those things horrible

aaand yeah i do think wedding stuff is in order

more wedding arches,
    invisible markings style one so it be easier to position the sims but you don't need arch per say,
    prewedding parties with...beautiful dancers... *cough* flamingogo *cough*

maybe we could have aisle markings so sims could walk up to the arch looking cute...

maybe we could have some seating marking thing so sims would actually sit on their freaking seats

oh big big wedding cakes and some interactions on those

obviously some wedding related cas things like veils,tiaras,suits,dresses...

maybe sims could hold bouquet
    maybe sims could FINALLY take some wedding photos (and family portraits)

maybe there could be more dramatic divorces and breakups

some romance aspirations (2 isn't very many bruh)

honeymoons
    pillow fights (i mean any sims could but i just feel it suits the agenda here)

that silly heart/lips themed furniture things like the epic bed

matchmakers/fortune tellers
    i mean we sort of have romance guru in city living but they don't give you random sim to go on date with or anything

horoscopes? could go with the love fortunes i guess

couples counselling if things have gone... weird

i guess we could also have freelance career for that or something

aaaand just overdramatic reactions to things like cheating or failed weddings or such

oh and yeah id like option for both sims to do their vows and give rings

and more rings

and maybe some best man officiator etc thingies could be fun for weddings... and...

okay this is getting long you get the idea

oh and if there is new world I'm not quite sure cause they could do more showy vegas style thing or like romantic european vibes city but we just had the cottage pack so I am leaning more into the party in vegas vibes or something along those lines with like luxury hotels and wedding halls

if later on tho i wouldn't mind Italy style world for example think it be pretty and there could be things to do as couple there

then again id really rather they focus on the gameplay over world on this and just start including couple activity in any and all packs and worlds
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    VeeDub wrote: »
    If they ever add any sort of "chemistry" or "attraction" system, I want an option to not have it. A toggle or something, whatever. Just as long as it isn't forced on me. I've been doing just fine determining for myself what my sims are into and what they're not, thanks very much.

well hopfuly you would be able to pick what they like
    more for sim kids and more drama please

well hopfuly you would be able to pick what they like

That's the thing, though. I have my own system, and it's extremely doubtful that the game could or would include all of the specific things that are important to me to choose from or a wide enough alternative variety to make up for that. That's why I'd want to be able to turn it off; I'd still want to use my own system.
  • BlackkatnessBlackkatness Posts: 63 Member
    I just want more couple interactions. Someone already suggested these. Slow dancing couples, cuddling and making out on the bed. Teens should have the option of asking permission from the parents, to take another teenage Sim on a date. What about the tradition of asking parents for permission to marry their daughter or son? Everyone has different costumes and rituals depending on the culture.

Since I brought up cultures and traditions. What about including different rituals during wedding ceremonies? Some people crush a glass under cloth. Some carry the bride and groom on a chair while dancing. Some cultures include their own dance rituals.

I like the ask permission as an option. Sometimes it's a natural moment between two Sims. It's different with every relationship. Some Sims know to give space. Some Sims are terrible at reading other Sims signals and have to ask. Other Sims are deeply connected and just know each other. Some Sims are to confident, while the other Sim is to shy. It would make sense of both were confident and showing signs that they are really into each other. It's weird. But, some Sims just feel right together and I will leave a Sim single to find the right Sim for them. There are some Sims are intend to be socially awkward.

Like for example, I made one Sim after Sad Larry. He just works a part time retail job and he lives with his roommate Jimmy Johns, who's always dressed like a hotdog. Jimmy Johns is like Krusty the Clown. He was an ambitious somebody, before he became an overly ambitious nobody working a part time job. They both live in the Culpepper Apartments. They just pay rent and exist in the same apartment. Just get lost when there's a sock on the door. The thing is everyone loves Sad Larry. He's got loads of friends, because they all feel sorry him. They invite him to parties. But, he's a real downer. He's an awesome gamer though. I plan to make a Sad Sally. The perfect someone he will never get together with. They are the Sims who will come to your house and play on your computer the whole time. Well, imagine if it was two Sims who were perfectly made for each other. But, they never meet, because they were on different computers in the same house. Sad Larry is also envious. So, that's another issue we're dealing with here.

I know who I want to be with who. I know the kind of interactions I want to happen between Sims. Most of my Sims are based off of characters from video games, movies, comic books and television.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,388 Member
    There is basically a lot I would like to see added and will mention it later but one thing that does need stating is a pack like this needs to add a faithful or loyal trait to keep sims from cheating if other sims flirt with them and prevents them from flirting with other sims. Their only faithful to their boy/girlfriend or spouse.
    Since I brought up cultures and traditions. What about including different rituals during wedding ceremonies? Some people crush a glass under cloth. Some carry the bride and groom on a chair while dancing. Some cultures include their own dance rituals.

We have a very fun wedding tradition where the bride gets stolen during the party and the kidnappers ask for money or whiskey in return for the bride. If the demands are not met they will return a shoe or an old lady, unless the groom is drunk enough and makes a terrible scene. 😆
    There is basically a lot I would like to see added and will mention it later but one thing that does need stating is a pack like this needs to add a faithful or loyal trait to keep sims from cheating if other sims flirt with them and prevents them from flirting with other sims. Their only faithful to their boy/girlfriend or spouse.

Yes I agree! I wouldn't want it to take a slot trait though. Maybe a (idk what its called, xp boost or whatever rewards from whims money 🤣) you can buy a faithful effect, sims wont auto flirt and will always reject flirty or romance actions from someone else if theyre already in love.

Yes I agree! I wouldn't want it to take a slot trait though. Maybe a (idk what its called, xp boost or whatever rewards from whims money 🤣) you can buy a faithful effect, sims wont auto flirt and will always reject flirty or romance actions from someone else if theyre already in love.

A lot of my sims have different definitions of loyalty and faithfulness when it comes to romance, so auto-flirting isn't often an actual problem to be solved in most of my saves. However, an entirely optional Reward Trait setup like this could excellently fit the ones who are meant to be more traditionally faithful without sacrificing regular trait slots or completely nuking the freedom of the more "free-thinking" sims.

A lot of my sims have different definitions of loyalty and faithfulness when it comes to romance, so auto-flirting isn't often an actual problem to be solved in most of my saves. However, an entirely optional Reward Trait setup like this could excellently fit the ones who are meant to be more traditionally faithful without sacrificing regular trait slots or completely nuking the freedom of the more "free-thinking" sims.

Yes reward trait! Thats what its called. And yes as purchases so you can buy if you want. Yeah coz if i picked a faithful trait and my sim still flirted with others id be pretty upset lol

Yes reward trait! Thats what its called. And yes as purchases so you can buy if you want. Yeah coz if i picked a faithful trait and my sim still flirted with others id be pretty upset lol

I totally get that. I do also have some more traditional sims, and it's very annoying when they still flirt with others besides their "one true love." :angry: I can easily see myself buying such a reward trait for those sims!
  • I've stated this before, but here goes - the option to lock two of my Sims into a relationship or marriage, essentially preventing them from responding to a third Sim's flirting just because the two of them has watched a romance show on tv. But if a reward trait could solve the issue better, I'd be all for it. Not sure how it would work. Would your Sim be immune to any flirting sans from their partner unless the player personally initiates it. I'd take anything to keep at least some of my Sims faithful.

Was gonna suggest more couple activities, walking holding hands, playfully jogging together, having a picnic, piggybacking (non-romantic as well), hand-holding when sitting next to each other at the table (unless they're eating) and hushed conversations either standing or sitting. Was gonna suggest two people on a waverider and a boat too, but I guess they wouldn't interfere with other packs?

Different kind of wedding rituals/ceremonies, as someone suggested, would be great as well. Maybe an added section in the clothing department for wedding clothes, a variety of them depending on which part of the world your Sim hails from or wants to belong to.

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • BlackkatnessBlackkatness Posts: 63 Member
    I think Sims in a committed relationship should have the option of feeling uncomfortable when someone other then their partner flirts with them, even if they are in a flirty mood themselves. They may just feel flirty because their partner is in the room, which that has happened. They flirted back and his girlfriend at the time got really angry, which made me angry. It's the first time my Sim got mean with someone. But, I think this should also be an option for Sims who are not in a relationship. Most people don't want some random person coming up to them and flirting with them.