Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Relationship Culling Destroys Lore

We’re getting a lore/premade families update soon, and I’ve been exploring the existing premades lately since I never really got into them. So I played 15 households and during that time, I quickly discovered that relationship culling had destroyed what little lore there already is in the game. Sentiments for the more recent families were long gone by the time I played them, too. But I was expecting this because they are temporary things, although it would be great if they only decayed while the household was being actively played.

I’ll give examples of what I found.

Windenburg
Siobhan Fyres’ bio says that Sergio Romeo is her boyfriend. But they didn’t even know each other. Only the relationships within the household remained when I played the Fyres.

Mt. Komorebi
Teens Kaori Nishidake and Kiyoshi Ito don’t know each other, and no one in each of their families knows anyone in the other family, or anyone outside the household.

Henford-on-Bagley
Rahmi Watson supposedly had an affair with Lavina Chopra. The wiki has Lavina listed as Rahmi’s ex-girlfriend. But they didn’t know each other by the time I played them.

I thought culling was supposed to keep sims of boyfriend/girlfriend status - but were they culled because they were NPCs while I was playing the other families?

I guess relationship culling happens for a reason, but I think each sim should be able to keep a reasonable amount of relationships (while they may decay, it should take a long time to forget someone). Also, if we had a way of removing sims from our sims’ relationship panels, we could do our own culling. I’d clear out the randoms that butt into my conversations.

Unless they change the culling process, I feel like most of us rotational players are not going to be able to fully appreciate what’s added to the premades in the update and that just takes the fun out of it for me.

I guess MCCC is the only current mod that can tweak culling. Or does anyone know of a dedicated mod for it? The one I found broke in 2019. Do you use a mod to stop culling and has it negativity impacted your game or performance?

Comments

• Options
    RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    I play rotationally and use MCCC to stop culling and it hasn't negatively impacted my game performance. I have it set to not cull relationships that are friends or higher. I don't like everyone forgetting everyone else but I also don't want to clog things ups with all the sims remembering everyone they've ever met.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    I haven't had relationships completely disappear (yet) but I have definitely noticed the decay. I have aging off except for the current household so that they will be there when I want to play with them and it aggravated me to discover that even though nothing else changes, their relationships do. I recently went around and cheated all my families' relationships back where I wanted them.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited September 2021
    I use MCCC but I have relationship culling on, I need it to reduce loading times because the save that I like playing is very old.

I'm not sure what could be done to prevent the relationship culling to not destroy lore. I guess one solution is to add them as played households, there are quite a lot of premade sims in the game now though if you own all packs.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    In my game, Rahmi Watson's romantic desires helped build her marriage back up. She and her husband are woohooing with no issues.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Since I haven't noticed this, but could have easily enough missed it, I have to ask if they are in your favorite households UI? Since I detest the thought of random culling to produce more abominable townies, that is typically what I do with all premades I intend to keep. Also, if having them set as a played household makes any difference.

I realize if you plan to keep the majority of premades on the launch of a new game it is a sizable number with all the DLC. Whenever I make my personal family after slotting in a few library versions of favorite households it is always over 200 for me and not every computer can handle that.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    @Calico45 They weren’t favorited in any way but I wonder if I had done that from the start, would it have been different? Does a favorited household get some kind of protection that I haven’t noticed in Played Households?

My plan was to play all the teens. In the beginning, I played the Goths and at that point, I was exploring where all the teens lived and I moved the Chopras into a house. So they were under my Played Households but I can’t say whether that was from the very beginning or within the first 4 days (I played each household 4 days). And the Chopras had their relationships culled.

So, I suppose I could start a new game and favorite all the households I want to play immediately, and see if that makes a difference? But how would the average player know to do this (or which families they’d want to play)?
  • Options
    So, @babajayne, I've been with 4 since launch and was there when they introduced this feature specifically to prevent culling of extended families and Sims. It was a problem in the beginning that the game could randomly delete your Sims.

I cannot swear that they haven't increased the protection of the played household mark or swear that the favorite households will prevent relationship decay, but ever since they debuted this feature for protecting our favorite Sims any Sim I have even the remotest of interest in I have placed under it. I do play rotationally a lot of times and have not noticed any problems like what you mentioned, but it isn't impossible for me to miss it either. I suspect it is likely protected, though, because it sounds like the perfect detail to delete for performance which is why you are warned to not have too many protected households.

As for how you are supposed to know... *shrug* I imagine there is probably something you could hover over to explain favorited households, but since I have been with the feature since it was first implemented I have not looked in years.
  • Options
    CruelhumanbeanCruelhumanbean Posts: 86 Member
    I've never really noticed this since I don't always play with premades or get far with rotational gameplay, but that probably explains why Jules Rico told my Serial Romantic sim he was single when I was pretty sure him and Bess were supposed to be dating! It added some nice spice to my story, but definitely annoying if culling is the reason since it had only been two sim weeks.

I feel like I've noticed lately my sims relationships Do seem to be decaying faster too, even without lifestyles that can cause it, so I wonder if they tweaked it recently to try and help performance?

Also @Calico45 thank you for bringing up the favorites feature!!! I never knew it was supposed to help w/ culling, so that will come in handy :)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    This isn't new. They never knew each other back in 2014 when the game was first released and we played the premades in the base game. It's not new to see a couple and they not know each other in all of TS4. It's that people don't pay that much attention in most cases.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Well, I just started a new game again with the same idea of playing all the households with teens. I clicked the heart on these households which moved them into “My Households” which is what we mean when we say they’re “Favorited”, right? The Sim count is 49 so I’m not even close to the max of 200.

@Cinebar Those relationships exist when I first load the households. Siobhan is indeed in a relationship with Sergio, and has friends outside the household (Luna and Sofia). But no one would know that unless they played those sims first or favorited them, apparently. So the game does actually have lore, it’s just this mechanic that’s washing away the details before we even find them.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    babajayne wrote: »
    Well, I just started a new game again with the same idea of playing all the households with teens. I clicked the heart on these households which moved them into “My Households” which is what we mean when we say they’re “Favorited”, right? The Sim count is 49 so I’m not even close to the max of 200.

@Cinebar Those relationships exist when I first load the households. Siobhan is indeed in a relationship with Sergio, and has friends outside the household (Luna and Sofia). But no one would know that unless they played those sims first or favorited them, apparently. So the game does actually have lore, it’s just this mechanic that’s washing away the details before we even find them.

I could be wrong but I believe this is a design by choice because of how bloated sims 3 became holding onto all the relationships and memories.
    I've even heard people complain about memories in sims 2 leading to bloat and corruption if a sim is deleted. Which is why I think we haven't got a memory system.
    It's all to keep performance smooth 😎
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    SkyrryxSkyrryx Posts: 201 Member
    edited September 2021
    @Babykittyjade That's why I personnally don't want memories back in The Sims 4. I don't want to corrupt the game more.
    Thank you @83bienchen for modding the game. Whims Overhaul is essential for my gameplay.
  • Options

I could be wrong but I believe this is a design by choice because of how bloated sims 3 became holding onto all the relationships and memories.
    I've even heard people complain about memories in sims 2 leading to bloat and corruption if a sim is deleted. Which is why I think we haven't got a memory system.
    I understand the purpose is to keep the game smooth. It just seemed so heavy handed to me for all those relationships to disappear that quickly. I hope that favoriting them and starting off with all of them “played” before the first culling helps prevent this (I guess it happens during that weird slowdown around 3am). So I’m going into each household on the first day this time and we’ll see what happens.

In my last main save, I had about 8-12 households and the culling still happened between sims I played. The only difference now is that I’m clicking the heart. If this doesn’t stop the culling when I’m well under 200 sims, I really think the culling process needs to be tweaked.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited September 2021
    I understand the purpose is to keep the game smooth. It just seemed so heavy handed to me for all those relationships to disappear that quickly. I hope that favoriting them and starting off with all of them “played” before the first culling helps prevent this (I guess it happens during that weird slowdown around 3am). So I’m going into each household on the first day this time and we’ll see what happens.

It doesn't protect them, at least it didn't mine. The Sims don't get culled, but the relationships still decay fast. I had to cheat back up all my households and the unplayed ones around town, they'd all decayed to near nothing. The only one that hadn't was the one I'd actually been playing.
    Post edited by lisamwitt on
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited September 2021

Yeah, that's why I don't mind the relationship culling too much. My loading times would be so long otherwise. It's good that we have the option to put them as favorite households but I do think that the game will sometimes clear their relationships too.

I am once again grateful that MCCC exists so we can configure this ourselves. I don't play households for very long these days so I have very slow relationship decay in my game.
  • Options
    Here’s an update. I got to the Fyres household after 3 weeks of play (before, it was after 12 days of play) and the relationships remained from the beginning of the game (Siobhan has her boyfriend and friends). So it does look like having them favorited and/or played makes a difference in the relationship culling. What a relief.

As an aside, Wolfgang Munch and Rashidah Watson are a really cute couple.
  • Options
    I'm glad it turned out well, @babajayne.
  • Options
    Thanks for your help, @Calico45 !
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    I must admit I never paid full attention to relationships in this game. It changed too quickly, and after a rotation of my many households I kept having the impression that most of the strong good/bad relations were randomly tossed in by the game in an attempt to stir things up. I make my own story lines and don't mind surprises, but I never chose story progression and hated to find that a household member al of a sudden had a rather strong love interest with a NPC.

So, I still relay to heir descriptions more than their actual relations. What's in my head is more important than what their relations panel says :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    @Simmerville Well, I made a “mistake” relying on the bios alone. When I played the Watsons in HoB, I assumed Rahmi was still involved with Lavina and I had them get together. Then I checked the wiki and realized that they had broken up and weren’t in a good place. I would have chosen a different course if I had known.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    @Simmerville Well, I made a “mistake” relying on the bios alone. When I played the Watsons in HoB, I assumed Rahmi was still involved with Lavina and I had them get together. Then I checked the wiki and realized that they had broken up and weren’t in a good place. I would have chosen a different course if I had known.

You just gave them an extra chance to check that - yup, it was a final decision. Maybe they needed just that :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg