Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Using computer for writing books

JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
Hi, one of my sims has writer aspiration and he needs to write a book on computer. I have 4 young adult sims in my household. My sims own 3 laptops and had no problem to use their own computer. I bought a new laptop for S sim. R and G were modding games, J was playing game, and S was about to resume writing a book. But he keeps waving his hand showing J sim on thought bubble and can't use the new laptop. It's not a route issue. I placed the new laptop in the kitchen and J was playing game in back garden. Is that only happening in my game? Is there anyone knows how to have the 4 sims use their own computer at the same time? I appreciate all tips and advice, thanks. :)

Comments

• VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Try having S sim sit down first, then select the action you want for him on the laptop. Occasionally I find mysterious routing issues in the case of laptop usage, but having them sit first usually fixes it for me, and sometimes a change of chair and/or desk (or table) will prevent it happening again.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    I had trouble getting my Sim to write earlier today and it turned out that the table was charred from a fire that occurred a few days prior and I just hadn't noticed until then.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,475 Member
    Do you have University? With that pack we now have the option to have computer security, as in you can set a certain to Sim to use a certain computer by locking it. Doesn't keep a Sim from sitting down at the desk, however. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    Do you have University? With that pack we now have the option to have computer security, as in you can set a certain to Sim to use a certain computer by locking it. Doesn't keep a Sim from sitting down at the desk, however. :open_mouth:

That's DU? I thought it was in base game now. Interesting.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    As @GalacticGal suggests, lock all the computers so they're each only used by one sim.

Another thing to try - start a different activity on the computer for your author, then when they sit down and start, queue up the "continue writing" interaction and cancel their current activity. It should just chain straight to the writing activity.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I have needed to make my sims sit, before they could resume a work on a computer. See if that helps.
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    Thank you all! I will try your suggestions! :D
    Yes I have DU but usually I set the security setting as only using for my whole household. I will try the individual setting. Thanks!!
  • Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 711 Member
    Jeansoo wrote: »
    Hi, one of my sims has writer aspiration and he needs to write a book on computer. I have 4 young adult sims in my household. My sims own 3 laptops and had no problem to use their own computer. I bought a new laptop for S sim. R and G were modding games, J was playing game, and S was about to resume writing a book. But he keeps waving his hand showing J sim on thought bubble and can't use the new laptop. It's not a route issue. I placed the new laptop in the kitchen and J was playing game in back garden. Is that only happening in my game? Is there anyone knows how to have the 4 sims use their own computer at the same time? I appreciate all tips and advice, thanks. :)
    Lock It

• LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    Admiral8Q wrote: »

That's DU? I thought it was in base game now. Interesting.

I can lock computers and I don't have DU, so I think it's base game.
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    Thanks all. I tried and let him sit first and then write a book worked! :D Also I set their all laptops as their own ones. I appreciate your tips.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    Jeansoo wrote: »
    Thanks all. I tried and let him sit first and then write a book worked! :D Also I set their all laptops as their own ones. I appreciate your tips.

Personally, in my game, if I give my Sims a computer. I generally try to give each there own instead of shared. Works much better that way I find. For laptops especially! I may leave just one desktop that anyone can use though. Depends on the household.

One thing to keep in mind is if a Sim wants to order something like upgrade parts on someone else's computer, then they will need to be allowed access. I usually just unlock it, order whatever, then select the original Sim whose computer it is then set the security back to that person only.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png