Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims help scares me

The sims help page scares me, and I don't understand it so I'm going to ask here.

I've been playing a not so berry save for over a year now. It has a lot of lore, I've replaced most of the town and I have a huge family. Now, last July I got a new laptop. I'd been playing on an old pc, and I couldn't find a hard drive. Being an idiot, I didn't back up my saves. I decided to just email my nsb save over. And, it worked! All was well- jk. It all failed, and now I can't play my not so berry save on either computer. How can I fix this? I still have all of the copies of my save. But whenever I put them in my game files, they just don't work.
she/her- Gallery ID is Solaranimal1
Someone who cries to minecraft music
(Hey guys, can someone tell me how to put a picture here?)

Comments

• Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    What do you mean they don't work? They are not showing up?
  • Options
    Snowleopard_0Snowleopard_0 Posts: 228 Member
    What do you mean they don't work? They are not showing up?

Yes, they're in my game files but when I go to saves in game, they're not there. I'm out of ideas
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Exactly which file(s) did you try putting in the new game folders? And the file was unzipped, right?
    (They’re under Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/Saves and you can’t have duplicates of the same save file number.)

Do you have the same expansions installed as you did on the old PC?

Is the old PC still available or not anymore?
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Did you put them in the right folder? You have to let the game generate folders if it's a new game.

If not, move any files you need to the desktop and then delete the whole the sims 4 folder and everything in it. Run The game once to generate the folders and files. Close the game. Add your save files to the saves folder. Now run the game and tell me if your game appears.
  • Options
    babajayne wrote: »
    Exactly which file(s) did you try putting in the new game folders? And the file was unzipped, right?
    (They’re under Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/Saves and you can’t have duplicates of the same save file number.)

Yes, the Old PC is still available. I copied the save files (I renamed one of them- bad idea, I learned that the hard way) and emailed them. Now, whenever I check my games library they're not there
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Did you copy just the saves or the whole "the sims 4" folder? Maybe try copying the whole folder over to the new drive.
  • Options
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    Did you copy just the saves or the whole "the sims 4" folder? Maybe try copying the whole folder over to the new drive.

Okay, I'll try that when I get home :)
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited September 2021
    babajayne wrote: »

Yes, the Old PC is still available. I copied the save files (I renamed one of them- bad idea, I learned that the hard way) and emailed them. Now, whenever I check my games library they're not there
    You said you renamed them, what exactly do you mean by that? Because when you put them into Documents > ElectronicArts > Sims4 > Saves they have to be named with a particular format: Slot_00000500.save

It doesn’t really matter what the numerals are as long as no two saves share the same identical number but it does have to be 8 digits preceded by Slot_ and followed by .save.

So for example inside a save folder may look like

Slot_00000001.save
    Slot_00000200.save
    Slot_00003000.save

See what I mean Slot_8DigitNumericalCombination.save with no identical combination.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    It seems you are in good hands, however, I would suggest if you are still having problems when everything is said and done perhaps the transfer method is flawed. When all else fails, give a USB a try.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I was just to ask if you had renamed your actual save files to a different number (as @Pamtastic7 explained), otherwise what happens is if you currently have, let's say a Slot_00000001.save, and you copy over another save with that exact same name it will override what is in the Saves folder and only show the most recent save.

So any time you want to move older saves into your Saves file you need to rename it a different unique number
  • Options
    I've tried renaming them to everything I can think of, and I also took out the saves, and then replaced them when I restarted the game. Neither worked. I'll try the usb next
  • Options
    I've tried renaming them to everything I can think of, and I also took out the saves, and then replaced them when I restarted the game. Neither worked. I'll try the usb next

It sounds like you did rename them to not fit the criteria. Do you have the original files with the original names saved to your old PC? If you do, take the whole folder called saves and transfer them to the new computer. If you don't have them with the original name, then you have to rename them exactly like it is written above. Generate a new save game and look at the files. Rename your old files exactly like the new game but with different numbers at the end.

There is only 1 file that actually matters...the others are backups. The file labeled: Slot_00000002.save

If you copy this exactly and make this your file name, it should work: Slot_00000812.save

Than if that doesn't work...we will have ruled out file names as the culprit.