Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Creepy, Horrifying World of Family Relations

ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
edited September 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I ran into a downright disturbing quirk of the game mechanics over the past weekend's play that proved that no matter how much EA tries to sanitize it, Sims 4 is still capable of some truly horrifying depths of human depravity in gameplay.

Setting the scene, I had a male sim living alone in a place that was more than big enough for his own needs with plenty of room to spare, so he took in one of his friends along with her daughter. Didn't marry the mom, just gave her a place to live.

He ended up serving as kind of a surrogate father to the kid, and when she grew up and became a young adult, the full range of romantic interactions opened up between her and the guy to whom she had effectively seen as a de facto stepfather throughout her childhood.

In the real world, the term for this is "grooming", and I certainly wasn't about to cross that moral line, but the mere fact that a player with fewer moral scruples could basically simulate Woody Allen's romantic life...ugh. :s

The game needs to find a way to recognize that a child who develops a close relationship with an adult when they're young—especially if they live in the same residence—should be off-limits for romantic socials when they grow up. It might be impractical considering the weird way aging can work (thanks to Potion of Youth or just aging the kid up fairly quickly as they hit the milestones of youth and clear all the aspirations), but it would lower the ick factor.
(he/him)
And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
My NBA site, Pace and Space
Post edited by EA_Lanna on

Comments

• Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    While that situation would be inappropriate, the game doesn’t prevent it because it would restrict story lines for players. An example would be that some people like to make orphanages or apartments, and have many unrelated Sims occupy the same lot. It would be good if the player could simply add a tag, to prevent the situation you described though. I know there is an option to “adopt as caregiver” (think it’s from parenthood), but I’ve never checked to see if using that would prevent your issue from occurring.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    With all due respect, it is only "grooming" if you make it that way. Those two Sims do have the possibility of romantic interactions, but you, the player, controls what happens.

Assuming that this isn't flamebait and you are genuinely bothered by the fact that two pixel people may be romantic in a simulation, I'd suggest cheating to give one the unflirty trait. Otherwise, customizable options or mechanics would be nice, but there is no "grooming" mechanic in 4 and there was never meant to be.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited September 2021
    It's amazing the stuff people seek and find in an innocent game. And one where YOU control all relationships 😆😆😆 you that same option exists in real life too right? It's up to you to pursue it or not....
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Was she a young adult? Then no, that is not grooming. They have to be underage for it to be considered grooming. Older people are romantic with young adults all the time in real life.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited September 2021
    There is no grooming mechanic in the game, you the player are playing the game and are deciding what happens and your sims will do it. They are not doing things against their and your will.

Play the game how you prefer to play it.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    While that situation would be inappropriate, the game doesn’t prevent it because it would restrict story lines for players. An example would be that some people like to make orphanages or apartments, and have many unrelated Sims occupy the same lot. It would be good if the player could simply add a tag, to prevent the situation you described though. I know there is an option to “adopt as caregiver” (think it’s from parenthood), but I’ve never checked to see if using that would prevent your issue from occurring.

"Adopt as Caregiver" does not prevent romantic interactions between a sim and their stepparent when the sim ages up to young adult.
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

"Adopt as Caregiver" does not prevent romantic interactions between a sim and their stepparent when the sim ages up to young adult.
    Thanks for letting me know, I’ve never thought to check that. :D
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,831 Member
    Seems to me that, if romantic actions are theoretically possible but your sim chooses never to engage in them, that's the same as your ethical definition of "off-limits."
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

Thanks for letting me know, I’ve never thought to check that. :D

I didn't so much check as get caught off guard by autonomous interactions. :lol: They may have been mod-influenced, as I was experimenting with various emotion and autonomy mods at the time, so I don't even remember which one was responsible.
  • It's amazing the stuff people seek and find in an innocent game. And one where YOU control all relationships 😆😆😆 you that same option exists in real life too right? It's up to you to pursue it or not....

This was less "seek and find" and more a big "hey, wait a minute" moment that I had while playing. It struck me less as "ew, you can do this creepy thing" (although that was certainly part of it!) and more as "next time EA says it's trying to be sensitive, I'm calling BS because the Sims is not now nor has ever been 'sensitive'." When they nerf everything else but prowling around the edge cases reveals how inherently hypocritical that is, it really amplifies the complaints of the players who have their specific Sim behaviors restricted, like "meat eaters and occult players are heavily restricted but you can actively choose to play as a predator?"

It wasn't intended as flamebait...although now that I think about a lot of players' experiences with the game, I can totally see how it can be taken as "great, another thing to get offended over." I just found it...gross...that the option's in there (even if it's ultimately my choice to set the moral standards of my own simworld. If the guy in my top post example autonomously tries to get romantic with his "unofficial daughter" in my game, he's going to end up in the graveyard, the victim of weather and/or drowning depending on the season.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
  • bandit5bandit5 Posts: 918 Member
    edited September 2021
    heh sims are just pixels in computer game. Nothing in real life should be compared too them. Just use mc mod too make them your sims child.
    @ACruelButLovingGod If you had explained all that at first, I think the responses you got would be different. Similar, but different. From what I saw of your first post, you saw two unrelated adult Sims could mechanically romance and pronounced it grooming. I understand the "ew" feeling. This really... Really isn't really the platform for a detailed kind of openness about those subjects, but there are things that make me feel uncomfortable, too. However, I do not find much merit in dwelling on it when nothing has actually happened.

I've got a give me for 4: great grandchildren. Last I checked with my four generation household, the great grandchildren weren't recognized as relatives. Under 4's broad relationship mechanics, a great grandfather and his great granddaughter can technically marry and have a baby since they are not recognized as family. Boom. Incest proper. Plus, this is a known thing.

Now, this doesn't mean the game is malicious, promotes incest, or has mechanics dedicated to it. It just means they stopped at three relation levels. I personally think they should have stopped at four, but since we can preserve a Sim forever it can technically reproduce with as many of its own descents as we make it. Where were they supposed to stop with the ties for that scenario? If it was something prohibiting Sims from sharing the same family tree a lot of other romances (including unrelated romances because of adoption and marriage) would also be prohibited.
  • @Calico45 Of course I can't predict the way people will react to things as posted (and generally I'm shooting from the hip when I comment about the game in general—the only posts I make with refinement and editing put into them are my stories-from-the-game posts, for obvious reasons.

It wasn't until I saw the way the thread was going that I was like "wait a minute, it's important that I clarify here, because..."

There are plenty of flaws in the relation system, of course, and making family trees that would make the Hapsburgs of Austria cringe is shockingly easy. In general, by the time my family trees grow so long that the branches start to look like weeping willows, that's when I know it's time to age off the older generations—I say "age off" because at least they deserve the dignity of one last storyline, so I have them add one more kid to the generation below and just let them age while the kid ages into an adult.

And like I said, part of this is just me being bothered by EA/Maxis getting all high and mighty about avoiding offending people when they make one set of game changes while out the other side of their mouth making all kinds of absolute depravity possible. I tend to agree with Trey Parker (of South Park fame) who said "as soon as we decide one thing is off limits, we're pretty much saying we condone everything else we've done."
    (he/him)
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    edited September 2021
    If the 'child' was a boy, and later an adult, the same thing could happen the way the game is programed now. He could develop a romantic relationship with him.

Like many people said, you, (the player) can let the programing do it's chaotic thing. Or there are cheat codes without mods to change what you (the player) doesn't like.

Mods make it easier to manipulate the game. It is a game. :)

That being said, I'm going to reticulate some splines...
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2021
    OP, there should be a way in the relationship panel (Maxis should add one) to tag a Sim as a family member even after they grow up. I agree the game needs more ways to expand the family tree and include and be inclusive to extended family whether that is step kids and or in laws etc. If people don't want such a toggle as default then make it optional so the player can be inclusive to extended family members after they become adults. That would work for most people, I hope. Someone should ask again for a better family tree and extended to other family members even if adult, later. Or even yet, a popup to request if the step father wants to adopt the child before birthday or something since they are considered family until they age up. And it is not true the player controls TS4. No, a flirty Sim will flirt with anyone, a step child or not. So, no players don't have control over a situation that the game may invoke after the child grows into an adult. The game can cause the one Sim to flirt with this child/adult without any player input. So, no it's not something that can always be avoided or controlled.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    I agree with you for the most part, @Cinebar. Not so much mark as family member, but personally I would like to romance lock different Sims. However, we do have some tools in the mean time, including a social that wipes the romance bar ("Agree to be friends.")

So I do challenge your claim that we do not control the Sims 4, since in the scenario you mentioned I can not only use this social, cheat to add an unflirty trait, separate said Sims, and/or just disable autonomy altogether. Plus, flirty Sims do not automatically flirt with proper children, so no grooming.
  • wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    edited September 2021
    I'm sorry what? You are the one controlling these sims. Sims aren't going to start automatically doing romantic interactions on their own with another sim. If you don't want the two to be romantic with each other then don't click the romance options. 🤦‍♀️
    You act like you have zero control over these sims.

It's only grooming if you choose for the grooming to happen.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Remember the good old days in TS1: Making Magic, when ageing wasn't a thing, but children could use a spell to become adults and, since the game didn't recognise family ties at all, start full-blown romantic relationships with their parents immediately afterwards? That happened to me once by accident. Thankfully, sims in TS4 in general seem to be less autonomously flirty and don't fall in love as quickly, so unwanted flings are easy to avoid, but I can understand where the discomfort comes from.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2021
    Remember the good old days in TS1: Making Magic, when ageing wasn't a thing, but children could use a spell to become adults and, since the game didn't recognise family ties at all, start full-blown romantic relationships with their parents immediately afterwards? That happened to me once by accident. Thankfully, sims in TS4 in general seem to be less autonomously flirty and don't fall in love as quickly, so unwanted flings are easy to avoid, but I can understand where the discomfort comes from.

I guess you have never played with a situation like the OP has. For instance if a couple is in the home and you want one to become flirty with spouse, so they watch the Romance channel. Or even a date there you want to promote into a romantic relationship. Ok, would you have the parent or Sim not watch the Romance channel because guess what that Sim can auto flirt with anyone in the house. It's why there are threads that say the game turned their Sim straight and or the game turned their Sim gay. Because if any Sim is flirty they can and do flirt with anyone, autonomously as long as they are flirty and especially if they have the flirty trait. So, every one against any sort of tweaking by Maxis are saying the player has control. No, we don't. The emotion or the trait can and does overflow to any near by Sim. It's why there are threads about how their Sim outside their control got up from a table in a restaurant and walked over and flirted it up with another Sim they didn't want their Sim to flirt with. Do any of you not read feedback and complaints? It's been going on for years and it also includes any adult near by or in a household. So, Again No, the player doesn't always have control of a Sim with a flirty emotion nor with a flirty trait before it's too late to make it stop. The point is the player shouldn't have to 'avoid' something like seeing daddy flirt with step child who just aged into a young woman or man or other gender preference.

Maxis, it's also no longer acceptable in today's society to have a child in the home in The Sims and wait like a vulture until they grow up to be their child bride....that is just gross now, too. Like old guys in a lot just waiting for that little girl to grow up... Players should have a choice about if the game sees that child as family or not once aged up to YA or adult etc.
    If every thing in this game is going to be politically correct isn't it about time the game protects the child Sim from old vultures later? think on it. Young minds shouldn't think it's ok should they? After all your game influences society doesn't it? At least you try to make it seem that way. It's your game, how are you going to fix it? It's not acceptable any more.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.