Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I really want a grumpy evil chicken...

GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
... but I can't find the recipe for the midnight treat, or the spicy treat for that matter, which is required to get obsidian eggs. :/ I visit the grocery and garden shops every day, but they never sell it, I can't win the Finchwick fair because I don't have anything special to present there, and birds and rabbits tend to dislike everything I say to them.

If this is such a hassle every time, I'll consider cheating in the future, but I want to do it right the first time. Any tips?

Edit: Forgot to add, I've also done quite a few errands for the villagers, which are good to get those animal shed upgrade parts, but other than that, they've never given me anything I didn't already have.

Comments

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Obviously the easiest way is to cheat it, but as for the legit way I only know errands and shopping. Once you feed the treat you get the recipe, so you have to get one first. Now, I have gotten golden treats from wild animals before, but not the midnight treat. I've gotten ingredients that would make the treat, but not it itself.

So that avenue may or may not be possible, but I'd suggest spamming socials instead of fixating on gifts for that. The gifting is cute, but if I am in desperate need of farming help I am going to do the Sims just-met-and-married-in-five-minutes equivalent.

So if you do not want to cheat, you will namely have to keep up the grind. It sounds like you got some bad RNG.
  • mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    I think making friends with the bunnies and birds would be the easiest route, especially if you have their homes on your lot. It may take some time, especially if your sim doesn't have the animal enthusiast trait, but with daily gifting and interactions, your should be able to bring the friendship bar high enough that you can get gifts from them on a daily basis. If you're lucky enough to find their favourite gift early on, I think the friendship meter goes up faster? The first bunny my sim had befriended is so picky, I've given thirteen of the fifteen gifts, and still no favourite!
    Also, check both garden and market stalls on Saturdays during the fair. I think the rare items only show up during this time. Errands are also another way.
  • MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member
    edited August 2021
    I can't win the Finchwick fair because I don't have anything special to present there
    You don't need anything special to win the fair. Even with a golden or evil chicken I didn't win. It is absolutley random.

The best is to check both stalls everyday.
  • mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    Just wanted to add that in one of my saves I was able to get a golden hen early on, but it felt too cheaty! Aside from the golden eggs which sell for a good amount, the hen made all the plants in the neighborhood perfect quality, even the ones not in season. The evil rooster, on the other hand, is great to have around. He's like a guard dog, he's always watching out for foxes. I haven't bothered upgrading the coops with fox alarms as the rooster does a pretty decent job already.
  • StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,447 Member
    @GrumpyGlowfish I lnow it's not ideal but you could always buy one of each of those treats in build/buy to give your chickens. That way you'll learn the recipes & can then make your own.
  • EternalSunshineEternalSunshine Posts: 340 Member
    You could also use trade option and gradually trade the chickens you have for treats until you get the spicy or midnight treat.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited August 2021
    Calico45 wrote: »
    So that avenue may or may not be possible, but I'd suggest spamming socials instead of fixating on gifts for that.
    I have since managed to befriend some wild birds, put their home on my own lot and befriend those birds, too. They keep giving me gifts now, but nothing I need so far. Oh well, it can only get better from here.
    Also, check both garden and market stalls on Saturdays during the fair. I think the rare items only show up during this time.
    That's a pretty good idea! I'll see what they have in stock during the fair.
    Melisendre wrote: »
    I can't win the Finchwick fair because I don't have anything special to present there
    You don't need anything special to win the fair. Even with a golden or evil chicken I didn't win. It is absolutley random.
    Meh. One of the reasons I wanted a special chicken was for this very purpose. Thanks for the warning.
    Starfree wrote: »
    @GrumpyGlowfish I lnow it's not ideal but you could always buy one of each of those treats in build/buy to give your chickens. That way you'll learn the recipes & can then make your own.
    That would be cheating, though, wouldn't it? :D Or can you actually buy those treats from BB without having to type in the hidden objects cheat first?
    You could also use trade option and gradually trade the chickens you have for treats until you get the spicy or midnight treat.
    Perfect! You just gave me a reason to keep those hatchable eggs instead of selling or gifting them to wild animals. That's the one thing I haven't tried yet.

Anyway, I'll keep trying. Can't wait to show you all my first evil chicken when I get it! The first sim to unlock all the necessary recipes and ingredients will be promoted to treat delivery person, or open an animal treat shop...
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    That reminds me, I wish I could sell those treats in my veterinary vending machines. Lovely bit of cross play there.
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Yeah I got most of the rare stuff from bunnies and birds, best way to befriend them is through gifts, vegetables seem to work on most bunnies. And often I find when a bunny tends to gift you books it is the gift the prefer so just gift them those books right back ;)
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I just got one today. It took forever. Everyone else already told you what you need to do so I'll just wish you good luck.
  • StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,447 Member
    @GrumpyGlowfish you can buy them without typing in the cheat code. You can also get the mushrooms themselves if you want to grow them.
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    i've actually had happy normal chickens lay both golden and obsidian eggs for me, which was quite unexpected, esp as the household that happened in is just planning on keeping 'normal' chickens

the first household i gave chickens to, i'd cheated both of those in on, though, since it's my sulani shaman (a spellcaster). i felt it fitting that she had both golden and evil chickens to help with some of her day to day magic responsibilities

...and man, now do i wish we could sell those treats in the vet vending machines... (they're probably being added to my magic shop instead of the other retail shop my 'must have everything' family runs to sell off various unlocks from skills, careers and such. seems to fit that theme better than the more scientific one the latter run)
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    That reminds me, I wish I could sell those treats in my veterinary vending machines. Lovely bit of cross play there.
    It would be awesome if someone made a mod for that!

kalaksed wrote: »
    i've actually had happy normal chickens lay both golden and obsidian eggs for me, which was quite unexpected, esp as the household that happened in is just planning on keeping 'normal' chickens
    I hear normal hens sometimes lay golden eggs when they're very happy. Don't know about the obsidian ones, though.

Melisendre wrote: »
    I replied to this before, but now I can actually confirm it for myself. Went to the oversized crop fair with my tiny pumpkin, my biggest produce which still paled in comparison to the other contestants' enormous eggplants and salads, and one of them even commented on that. Yet still... I won! The fact that the pumpkin had perfect quality may or may not have helped.

And that is actually how I finally got my wish. Winning the fair gave me the recipe for the spicy treat, the last thing I needed to get my evil chicken! (Well, technically, what I needed was an obsidian egg to make the midnight treat, but thanks to the spicy treat, I could finally get one from my hen.)

So, ladies and gentlemen, non-binary people and everybody else, I present Lucifer, my first evil rooster, here with his proud owner Castiel:

geburtvonlucifer7kkpz.jpg
    luciferhxkgi.jpg

And guess what? The very next day, the next miracle happened! I got the recipe for the golden treat from the grocery shop owner for running a simple errand, and now I have a golden hen, too:

goldmariey4kp9.jpg
    goldmarieundpechmarioh6jx2.jpg

She doesn't have a name yet, but I can't wait to see what kind of abomination comes out when the goddess hen and the demon rooster breed... (Probably nothing special, hybrids are just too cool for this game, but it's still fun to have them both around!)
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    I got a Golden Hen & Evil Roaster & unfortunately there's no Hybrid Chicks at least so far. I don't know if it's possible. It would be so cool though. :p
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    To not have an evil sim able to raise an army of evil chickens and go on the warpath is a missed opportunity.
  • QueenSaraphineQueenSaraphine Posts: 308 Member
    I didn’t know I wanted an evil rooster until I read this thread.

And just 15 min after reading it I got a gift from one of my bunnies. A midnight treat! What are the odds?! 😅

But I just realised I forgot to give it to one of my roosters, bloody stressful keeping my llamas, hens and cow clean, fed and happy and make dinner and help my kid with homework.
    SignatureSparkly.gif
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    My sin's bunny buddy gave her 2 obsidian treats, 2 days in a row. Needless to say, that bunny got a really great treat. :D I can't wait to get an evil chicken...Charlie the chicken was my favorite of all in Sims 3. <3
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.