Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Autonomy on feels like it needs tweaking

geekgirl101geekgirl101 Posts: 401 Member
I decided to give my own sim some freedom from being forced to do everything by me by giving her full autonomy. Man what a mistake that was. Seconds after trying to speak to a client before starting a book she cancelled and began reading a random book. 5 attempts later she finally got to speak to a client and I thought that was the end of her shennanigans, but oh no! Barely 10 seconds into starting to write a book she wanted to read a book again! Then the welcome wagon arrived and no sooner did she greet Johnny Zest she wanted to polish the table. I immediately queued up to Get To Know and again she wanted to polish the counter. I queued up another Get To Know and she queued up to polish the sink. I queued up to Discuss Hobbies and she queued up to polish the toilet. By this point I was raging. Get To Know...polish counter. NO!!!! Ask About Day...must polish the shower. NOOOOO!!!!!!

Before I knew it the welcome wagon was over and she had barely begun a friendship with Johnny Zest. By now without her constant interruptions I would've gotten 1/3 a bar with Johnny Zest. I know I've used full autonomy before and that sims have done things without dropping whatever they were doing to do random stuff, but I remember the reason why I turned it off was because they wouldn't leave babies and toddlers alone, would turn on every radio in university doorms and wake up people who were trying to sleep, and kept playing musical chairs in restaurants to talk to other tables. This to me feels more broken than ever.
Post edited by geekgirl101 on

Comments

• Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Autonomous actions are weird. I recently made a comment that my Sim was autonomously greeted with a flirty Sim and the conversation ended with a pink bar on them. I had autonomy "off", too. Lol.

Yeah. They should at least make it so the autonomy doesn't get in the way of what the player wants them to do, and to avoid unwanted relationships, apparently.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member

With full autonomy off, it's a bit worse since the NPC's are always autonomous. However, I am not pro or anti full autonomy.
    I prefere it on most of the time. Yet it is irritating when you queue in a bunch of stuff then they cancel it and go polish the counter, lol! I agree. :D
    The main problem I've been having is "talk to plant", probably because they "like" gardening. I'm tempted to shut that "like" off.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member

It would be funny if a bunch of us "Simmers" got together and acted out a video.
    Me as Tamerio, flirting with Claudia.
    Then as the flirty encounter gets 'hot'.
    "Excuse me Claudia, I'm going to go talk to that basil plant outside in the rain for awhile. We can continue this conversation later."
    Claudia, "That's ok, I'm playing Blic-Blok on my phone, then I'm going to view that gnome sculpture and polish the counter to perfection."
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited August 2021
    I noticed the book obsession a few weeks ago. They will grab books, not fully read them, put them back in the book shelf or leave them laying around and then keep repeating it over and over in an endless cycle until you direct them to go do something else and anytime they are left to their own devices the whole book obsession starts all over again, it's very frustrating.

I downloaded a mod by Zero that makes them less obsessive with reading. It can be found here in case anybody needs it... https://www.patreon.com/posts/all-autonomy-52047284
  • imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    I created a club for single guys and a club for single girls. The only thing they have to do is flirt with each other. Yet, one single guy is talking to a married women who isn’t in any clubs. Two other single guys are talking to each other. And the last single guy went on a computer.

Yup, something is definitely wrong
  • geekgirl101geekgirl101 Posts: 401 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I downloaded a mod by Zero that makes them less obsessive with reading. It can be found here in case anybody needs it... https://www.patreon.com/posts/all-autonomy-52047284

Ooh I'll give that a try! Thanks for linking it.
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    I've found the best balance to be autonomy on full but not for my active sim. But man, some of the things my NPCs do when they're not being actively controlled, like the woman who flirted with her father-in-law...in front of her husband!

Awk. Ward.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    I always play with autonomy on full. I play large households, so perhaps, their antics don't get to me, as the player. Or, I'm more stubborn than my Sims. LOL I find it very useful managing the full house.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited August 2021
    My sims don't tend to interrupt actions so I play with autonomy on full. I have read on Answer HQ that for some people sims interrupt their actions a lot. I'm not sure why, for some sims it seems like their traits or likes/dislikes will override what they are doing.

When I played the Nishidake family they sometimes interrupted their actions to go and practice programming, I could never really figure out why.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    It would be funny if a bunch of us "Simmers" got together and acted out a video.
    Me as Tamerio, flirting with Claudia.
    Then as the flirty encounter gets 'hot'.
    "Excuse me Claudia, I'm going to go talk to that basil plant outside in the rain for awhile. We can continue this conversation later."
    Claudia, "That's ok, I'm playing Blic-Blok on my phone, then I'm going to view that gnome sculpture and polish the counter to perfection."

I had the same idea a while ago. I pictured myself buying a sandwich in a shop and suddenly dropping to the floor for sit-ups!