Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Restricting played sims from showing up on lots outside their world?

Comments

• simopolissimopolis Posts: 147 Member
    After all the mod suggestions I did a little research and came upon the mod SSO - SIM SPAWN OVERHAUL by Lotharihoe that looks a little older but does some added cool things. Thoughts?
    https://lotharihoe.tumblr.com/post/622921247655919616/sso-sim-spawn-overhaul-download-google-drive
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I'd really enjoy a lot of that. Even just a passive income from lots, like in 3. Actually, I've wanted multiple lots and vacation homes for a while.

Toggles and options are always a good thing.

I would really enjoy assigning roles, too. I like to have my own Sims, played and unplayed, working jobs like retail, restaurant, and vet clinic work. Going to extra step of assigning those positions could be really fun.
  • EternalSunshineEternalSunshine Posts: 340 Member
    edited August 2021
    Calico45 wrote: »
    I hesitate with some of these suggestions that ask EA to decide and define what the worlds mean to us. For example, I understand some people treat Mt. Komorebi as an exotic vacation location and more power to you, but as someone that doesn't like vacations in 4 I wanted it to be a residential world and I treat it as such. For them to suddenly add barriers afterwards to treat it like a foreign country would upset me.

I agree with the above. I want my played sims to be able to travel and move freely. Since the number of lots per world is rather limited (with the exception of Windenburg), and we have so many different lot types in game, I treat each world as part of a larger whole. I would hate it if EA suddenly added barriers which caused my sims to be restricted to one world and/or required them to pay travel costs.
    Post edited by EternalSunshine on
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Absolutely do not want travel costs. That wouldn't be fun to me at all.

I like the game it is now. I think it's fun running into random townies from other worlds when out at the bar in San Myshuno.
    Absolutely do not want travel costs. That wouldn't be fun to me at all.

I like the game it is now. I think it's fun running into random townies from other worlds when out at the bar in San Myshuno.

Hmm, perhaps then making it optional would work best? Like a lot trait or toggle? From the research I've done over the past few days it seems there are quite a few people who are searching high and low for this feature. Enough to make and download various versions of a mod that does this!
    I agree with the above. I want my played sims to be able to travel and move freely. Since the number of lots per world is rather limited (with the exception of Windenburg), and we have so many different lot types in game, I treat each world as part of a larger whole. I would hate it if EA suddenly added barriers which caused my sims to be restricted to one world and/or required them to pay travel costs.

Again, another opportunity for the lot traits to add an optional travel fee? I'm honestly just thinking of how to make the game more realistic and challenging. To me, the idea we can go for a run in Windenburg in the morning and then have coffee in Oasis Springs in the afternoon before shooting over to Sulani to watch the sunset without incurring jet setting fees breaks immersion for me personally. I could get my head around it though if I had to pay money to do this, would make it feel more special if it was an option only available to my ultra rich sims. Again, just another idea on how to spice up game play so it doesn't all feel the same for each sim and there are more reasons to work up that career ladder.

• FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 846 Member
    simopolis wrote: »
    After all the mod suggestions I did a little research and came upon the mod SSO - SIM SPAWN OVERHAUL by Lotharihoe that looks a little older but does some added cool things. Thoughts?
    https://lotharihoe.tumblr.com/post/622921247655919616/sso-sim-spawn-overhaul-download-google-drive

This is the mod I use to keep sims in their own worlds. I'm quite happy with it because it gave me what I wanted: only in world sims as walkbys, strays and dog walkers in other worlds besides Brindleton Bay, and mostly in-world sims in venues. I still see sims from other worlds mostly on the beaches of Sulani and the festivals in San Myshuno. I'm pretty pleased with this mod so if this seems like the kind of things you want for your game, maybe give it a try.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    edited August 2021
    I just feel like nerfing it wouldn't be the way to go. If people don't want it, they can continue to use mods. I'm tired of my game being taken away from me because people don't like x thing about it.
    I just feel like nerfing it wouldn't be the way to go. If people don't want it, they can continue to use mods. I'm tired of my game being taken away from me because people don't like x thing about it.

Not everyone has access to mods, but it seems like a highly requested feature. I think an option to turn it on and off would suit all players, right?

This is the mod I use to keep sims in their own worlds. I'm quite happy with it because it gave me what I wanted: only in world sims as walkbys, strays and dog walkers in other worlds besides Brindleton Bay, and mostly in-world sims in venues. I still see sims from other worlds mostly on the beaches of Sulani and the festivals in San Myshuno. I'm pretty pleased with this mod so if this seems like the kind of things you want for your game, maybe give it a try.

Is it updated regularly? Like with every patch? I have resisted mods completely because I don't want to break my game.
    Is it updated regularly? Like with every patch? I have resisted mods completely because I don't want to break my game.

Lotharihoe is good at keeping their mods updated, not just for patches but for bug fixes and adding features. Of course people stop modding all the time for many reasons, but Lotharihoe did update the Sim Spawn Overhaul for the last patch. I'm still using it and it works like a charm. I've looked at the various mods for sim spawn overhauling and this one is my favorite because having animals in other worlds is important to me. I love it when my own unplayed sims in Willow Creek walk by walking the dogs I gave them. OTOH, I've seen it's important to other people to be able to choose which sims they want to work at which NPC jobs, and I don't care a fig about that. I suppose you'll need to compare all the different mods and see which one offers the most things important to you.

Try not to worry too much about "omigerd mods will break my game and kill my computer and impregnate my cat and melt the ice cream in my freezer!" I'd just start slow and maybe start with one, like one of these. The fewer you have the less you have to worry about taking up too much of your time updating. I have tons of mods and I'm not gonna lie, it's a pain in the behind to update a bunch of mods after a patch like this last one which broke like everything, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. Mods just add too much enjoyment to my game.
    HcmCUds.jpg
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I have an idea. You know those icon labels of the neighborhood names? It would be great to have a pop-up menu with settings for each neighborhood within the world.

It could look something like the menus from other sim games that let you control certain buildings. So you can have options like:

Allow walk-bys
    Townie Generation
    Allow visitors from other neighborhoods
    Allow celebrities
    Allow strays
    Maybe even decide if each neighborhood can spawn a festival

If you have seasons installed:
    Neighborhood weather - so you can set some neighborhoods as more rainy or cloudy

If Eco Lifestyle is installed:
    Neighborhood footprint - decide the footprint for each hood
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    I have an idea.
    You know those icon labels of the neighborhood names? It would be great to have a pop-up menu with settings for each neighborhood within the world.

It could look something like the menus from other sim games that let you control certain buildings. So you can have options like:

Allow walk-bys
    Townie Generation
    Allow visitors from other neighborhoods
    Allow celebrities
    Allow strays
    Maybe even decide if each neighborhood can spawn a festival

If you have seasons installed:
    Neighborhood weather - so you can set some neighborhoods as more rainy or cloudy

If Eco Lifestyle is installed:
    Neighborhood footprint - decide the footprint for each hood

I sadly think that this will never happen, but I think it's an AWESOME idea.
    HcmCUds.jpg
  • JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    I wouldn't want the sims I make to be restricted to their world. I place my sims in different worlds because I want to play it all and if I could only see the ones from a specific world that would defeat the whole purpose of keeping lots of my own households in the same save. I do wish they would look over the coding for when/ where sims show up though. It's usually the same sims (along with townies).

I'd prefer if they would tone down the random townie spawning with jobless sims with no purpose just popping up everywhere to then never be seen again and replaced with yet another useless specimen. Like why generate so many unemployed sims?

I do however see a point in maybe restricting sims from some worlds a bit. Like Sulani sims walking around Newcrest in winter with their warmer cold weather outfits looks a little off.
    Same with preemade celebrities strutting about in the poorer neighbourhoods (Like were Johnny Zest lives for example). The Cho lady and Ward are everywhere, maybe that's their secret to stardom? You can't miss them cruising.
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • scandinaviansimscandinaviansim Posts: 16 Member
    I would also love for my Sims to stay in their world , or maybe one could chose what would they show up in in settings or something. My sulani Sims keeps popping up in mount komorebi with their straw skirts and it just does not look normal 😕
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited August 2021
    I personally would like to see a system in place that let's you choose how the worlds connect to each other. This way if you have it set so that Henford-on-Bagley is only connected to Windenburg then sims from HoB will show up in WB and HoB and no where else.

It would also be nice in general if they made a full world map to show how each worlds connects to each other. I personally refuse to believe that WB, MtK and every world in TS4 are in different continents. Imo they are all in the same continent/country. It's just has a very diverse population and landscape.

Edit: I would also like it if traveling to a different world cause time to pass. Maybe if you set worlds that are connected the travel time is 30mins but worlds that aren't the travel time is 1-3hrs.
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Some of these worlds are not even from the same time period. At least make it so we can seamlessly time travel? Maybe bring back the scientist and his invention from Sims 3's Into the Future.
  • SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    I use mods for this very reason. I also wish you could designate homeless or "Not In World" sims to certain worlds too though.
    SnaveXs wrote: »
    I use mods for this very reason. I also wish you could designate homeless or "Not In World" sims to certain worlds too though.

Which mod do you use? The mod below does this:
    HopeyStarr wrote: »
    A mod created by SHUSHU restricts sims to their home world, including lots, the downside is that a lot of townies may be generated to fill walkby/employee/service roles around the world. But thanks to this mod I could say goodbye to (as I like to call) "Nancy Landgraabs" jogging around the world. There are a few exceptions to sims not staying in their resident worlds though. Like for festivals and stuff.

Kuttoe has so kindly updated this mod to make it compatible with the recent patch. If you're still interested/open to mods check it out here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/54534808

This is the only mod I use so far for this purpose and there do seem to be quite a lot of sims generated to fill roles. It has made it more fun to give them makeovers and back stories though because it feels more like they live in the world. If maxis would allow us to do this though, I would be all for it. And/or let us have our played sims work and show up in NPC roles and designate roles and worlds in Manage Households I would be in heaven!!!!
  • JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    A mod created by SHUSHU restricts sims to their home world, including lots, the downside is that a lot of townies may be generated to fill walkby/employee/service roles around the world. But thanks to this mod I could say goodbye to (as I like to call) "Nancy Landgraabs" jogging around the world. There are a few exceptions to sims not staying in their resident worlds though. Like for festivals and stuff.

Kuttoe has so kindly updated this mod to make it compatible with the recent patch. If you're still interested/open to mods check it out here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/54534808

I've started using this and I've been trying to 'open it up' and find out how it tracks what neighborhood a sim is from.

I'm desperate for a solution to keep sims from certain worlds in their world - so I can then customize their fashion and features specific to world themes I'm going for.

I looked to see if it was giving sims a hidden trait, that I then hoped to use cheats to apply to other sims to move them around as desired - but no luck there as yet.

So I'm kinda desperate for that other mod from the chippedsim person on twitter...
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member

I've hesitated to mod my game so far. I have a few of @83bienchen 's simpler mods, and I've been very happy with them, but until tonight, that's as far as I've been willing to go.

I gave Kuttoe's revision of SHUSHU's mod a try, and so far I've been happy with it. I started a new test save to check it out, and here's what I've noticed so far:
    • I put my Sim into a house in Newcrest. The walk-bys and joggers were townies, but they were actually fairly interesting characters. I didn't mind seeing them. They also sometimes turn up in other worlds when my Sim travels there.
    • My Sim encountered only "locals" when I traveled to lots in various worlds. He saw the BFFs at the gym in Willow Creek, had a drink with Don Lothario and Dina Caliente in Oasis Springs, and ran into various Windenburgers at The Hare and Hound cafe. A few random townies spawned in most of those locations. One was an alien, and that was cool.
    • Windenburg's population is large enough that the game didn't see the need to generate any additional townies.
    • Pepper's Pub in Britechester was filled with students, both familiar characters like the Pleasant sisters and "townie" students.
    • The crowd at the Gnome's Arms in Henford-on-Bagley were locals, along with two or three new townies and a couple of the walk-bys I'd seen in Newcrest.
    • I put a spa on one of the Newcrest lots, and Sims from various worlds visited it. That's exactly what I hoped would happen.
    • I built another house in Newcrest and added one of the households I had in my Gallery. I saw the members of that household jogging and walking in Newcrest.
    • One of them invited my Sim to the Humor & Hijinks Festival. There were Sims from various worlds there.

In short, the mod works like I hoped it would. I'd give it a green Plumbob.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
    I gave Kuttoe's revision of SHUSHU's mod a try, and so far I've been happy with it. I started a new test save to check it out, and here's what I've noticed so far:
    • I put my Sim into a house in Newcrest. The walk-bys and joggers were townies, but they were actually fairly interesting characters. I didn't mind seeing them. They also sometimes turn up in other worlds when my Sim travels there.

This specific thing is actually what I want to prevent.
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    This would be a great idea if introduced as a toggle. I quite like the idea of only seeing the residents in the world you're currently playing out and about, and at least when they inevitably go up to my sim out of nowhere and start talking their ear off, I'll be less bothered by it.

It would be no hardship for me to add or create new sims to move in and make the world more fuller, and hopefully fill in bartending roles etc.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    I looked to see if it was giving sims a hidden trait, that I then hoped to use cheats to apply to other sims to move them around as desired - but no luck there as yet.

It doesn't, it just checks in which region the Sims live. I use a similar method in my townieoverhaul_lessfame, but to a smaller extend because I don't like random generation of townies that aren't specific role sims.

Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
    edited August 2021
    83bienchen wrote: »

It doesn't, it just checks in which region the Sims live. I use a similar method in my townieoverhaul_lessfame, but to a smaller extend because I don't like random generation of townies that aren't specific role sims.

Do townies have a region that they live in? Is it something I can query?

I have a mod that lets me look at a dump of all the info on a townie. 'Show Sim Info' ( https://modthesims.info/download.php?t=576053 )- And I've not seen anything in there yet.

I've used this and some cheat mods in the past to find a hidden trait on a sim and either remove it, or apply the same trait to another sim.
    - And that's my goal to 'hack a solution'. To find some hook that says "this sim belongs in Sulani" and then put that into any sim I want to keep in Sulani, or remove it from a sim that I want to let leave Sulani (etc for other worlds).

For me this is most important for Island, Snowy, and the Star Wars pack. The Star Wars Pack seems to have it built in somehow - I've never seen any sim from there exploring the rest of my game, but I also have yet to visit the region so I have yet to generate any townies there so many once I do I will have Wookies on the beach in Sulani or something...

Island and Snowy - I've gone in and tweaked every townie and deleted all the premades then replaced them with my own to give each of them a distinct character.
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    No, townies have no region they live in. You can also not assign a region to any Sim except if you actually move them there. The game just checks whether they do actually have a home in a region or not. That's why you cannot see it with the Show Sim info mod.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen