Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are emotions that hard to update?

Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
edited August 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I mean we have been asking for an emotions overhaul for over years and it basically just consists of tweaking and adapting the power of buffs. Why is it taking so long? They're always saying ''we hear you, we hear you'' but I just feel like they do not actually focus on things we want and they don't try hard enough to fix the game. Also, whenever they add a new system (whatever system that includes gameplay & consequences) it always feels flat cause they miss the mark somewhere...It's like they don't try to incorporate it to many aspects of the game (for example likes & dislikes, I'm sure a lazy sim can get a like for fitness or if you gift a cooking book to a sim who hates cooking the sim will still be happy). I don't know how to express it, but it just feels like they don't know their game.
Lu4ERme.gif
Post edited by EA_Mako on

Comments

• Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    I don't remember but this you share any precise requests on how you expect a decent emotion overhaul to work. Tweaking the power of buffs is very vague and only works until the next pack with an insane amout of new buffs get's added on top.

So you woul have to tweak every buff again after a while.

A system that might work is one that limits the maximum number of visible buffs a sim can have at the same time. So if your Sim already has a +1 happy buff, adding another +happy buff could let the older +1 happy buff go away if the sim already has a lot of other happy buffs going on. Also, some buffs like +happy for decor should probably be tuned down to be very short and unable to let another buff fade. They should also not come up when a Sim is in a bad mood because decorations should not help to fix something like that.

But I actually don't know how hard it would be to transform that into phython.

Also I fear that such an overhaul would ruin a lot of playstyles for those who actually prefer their Sims to be always happy. It would be a thing to consider as a toggle, though. Maybe you could make a toggle that makes all positive buffs last only half as long?

What are your suggestions, everyone?
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited August 2021
    @83bienchen You make really good points and I think this would be great, especially time limits on Happy ‘Decorated’, and also not having pretty rooms fix deep sadness. (Part of me wonders if Happy ‘Decorated’ buffs should only be a thing for Sims with the Materialistic or Snob traits, and not everyone as it seems to be IIRC.)
    A lot of complaints I’ve read about the emotional system are usually vague on what changes people actually want made, but you’ve come up with something in-depth and technical that I think would work well. I’d be all for your ideas to be implemented, or at least something close to them. :)
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Apparently they dont see this as a priority
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    I don't remember but this you share any precise requests on how you expect a decent emotion overhaul to work. Tweaking the power of buffs is very vague and only works until the next pack with an insane amout of new buffs get's added on top.

A system that might work is one that limits the maximum number of visible buffs a sim can have at the same time. So if your Sim already has a +1 happy buff, adding another +happy buff could let the older +1 happy buff go away if the sim already has a lot of other happy buffs going on. Also, some buffs like +happy for decor should probably be tuned down to be very short and unable to let another buff fade. They should also not come up when a Sim is in a bad mood because decorations should not help to fix something like that.

Also I fear that such an overhaul would ruin a lot of playstyles for those who actually prefer their Sims to be always happy. It would be a thing to consider as a toggle, though. Maybe you could make a toggle that makes all positive buffs last only half as long?

Yep that's true. What I also think is that negative emotions should overpower positive ones except if your sim has some kind of a cheerful personality. Cause let's be honest to most people negative events override positive ones (except if it's something really joyful). But speaking of that, like you already pointed out, many simmers like to have their sims constantly happy, so a sort of toggle to vary between a high or low impact of negative emotions would be great.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Meaningful stories does a fantastic job of overhauling the emotion system, if a single modder can do that then the team has no excuse to not do the same, and then some more. Meaningful stories is a really impressive mod, but if the team were to overhaul the emotion system I would expect something much more substantial than what meaningful stories has accomplished. So let's just hope if an emotion overhaul is in the works, that it will be a meaningful overhaul that adds the depth we're looking for.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited August 2021
    I don't know how difficult it would be, I don't think Maxis wants to redo the entire emotions system. Many people probably like it as it is as well. I kinda like it as it is, I don't want sims to get huge mood swings back and forth because I find that a bit annoying, but I do agree that sims should be less "happy" and just being "fine" for the most part, I use a less smiling mod so sims don't look so happy all the time.

And if you want sims to be angry with each other then small happy buffs should not neglect that. They recently improved that a lot with sentiments. A sim who has a negative sentiment with another sim are much harder to be friends with for example.

Maybe you could share it on their next sims 411 where they are asking for feedback on a higher level of challenge and depth in the Base Game and what you think could be done about emotions. But do keep in mind that just saying "fix the emotions system" is probably not helping them a lot.

Keep in mind that the game is designed so you are supposed to be able to stack buffs to reach a higher mood, so it should still be possible to make your sim very focused or very energized for example.
  • Options
    wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    edited August 2021
    I've used various mods to help with the emotional system and really without the game having shorter time spans for the +1 buff then you get a bloated moodlet system that becomes too powerful.

You wind up with inspired, confident, focused sims or flirty. While happy is less often with mods the +1 or whatever number is given to the buff only increases the base mood and you might even miss the one angry or tense or embarrassed moodlet because it's 20 moodlets of buffs. Bloated.

The game without emotional mods tends to hold at happy but the problem remains, they get "stuck" in one emotional state based on the buffs adding to the stronger state such as inspired or confident.

The buffing system needs work. The angry mood for cheating, as example, can last 24 sim hours but if the buffs are pumping inspired, happy, confident, then the time doesn't really have much impact as the happy moodlets don't allow it to become the dominant mood.

So while I agree with the emotional state I'd be happier with fewer buffs. Some enjoy sims being happy as an escape type play mode and others enjoy more emotional variation and I imagine that could be accomplished through how long and strong the buffs are.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I think your question answers itself. The developers know what is wanted. If it were simple to overhaul in a meaningful way, they would have done so by now. Which leads me to suspect that, for reasons we can only guess about how it is all put together, it is not simple at all, but fussy and complicated, in a way that from the business end of game development equates to expensive in time, money, or some combination of the two.

We have heard that the studio is currently focused on refining or polishing current and past TS4 content. This is a good thing to hear. They are ironing out wrinkles and smoothing the way for whatever is developed next. In the course of that, doubtless they are guided by some consideration of what can make the most impact at the least expense, or effort, which amount to the same thing. To the extent that a refinement of base systems like emotional state is easily undertaken, we can expect to see something of the sort. If we don't, it's a fair indication that such work is far, far more demanding and technical than you might expect.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,971 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »

Yep that's true. What I also think is that negative emotions should overpower positive ones except if your sim has some kind of a cheerful personality. Cause let's be honest to most people negative events override positive ones (except if it's something really joyful). But speaking of that, like you already pointed out, many simmers like to have their sims constantly happy, so a sort of toggle to vary between a high or low impact of negative emotions would be great.

It seems like they have tweaked emotions more, as my gloomy sims seem to be sad more often. But, I agree decorations should not be very powerful. They shouldn’t last long at all. I guess I’m one that like my sims to be happy more often than not, but I do play a few cheerful sims. I have noticed the change in my gloomy sims. I haven’t played my evil, mean sim lately to see if he is more evil and mean, he never did seem very evil or mean before they tweaked some of the emotions. If they haven’t tweaked those two I wish they would.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I wish they would stop designing everything around this broken system.
  • Options
    rhaliusrhalius Posts: 456 Member
    edited August 2021
    If the emotion system return to Sims 5 I'd never buy it. Sims 1-3 showed emotions more accurately and showed more varied behaviour in Sims.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    I think the buffs for the Cottage Living are actually fairly balanced as they don't last as long as previous buffs where you woul get happy for hours be simply throwing a coin in a fountain.

Now this might be an unpopular opinion, but I uninstalled meaningful stories after some time because it made my Sims tending to get struck in a certain kind of mood. Just because I was playing a creative Sim, that didn't mean I wanted them to stay inspired all the time, even during a date with their sweatheart. I for one would not be happy if the implemented meaningful stories into the game. Also I don't think we can expect EA to accomplish something better and more thoughtful than what a modder came up with. Modders tend to play the game a lot during testing and do constantly tweak their mods to balance out things the best way possible. EA won't do that as they don't play the game that intensly.
    You can see that everywhere in the code. There are often tiny bits missing that would enhance the game but they won't notice as they don't play at leisure just watching and feeling whether everything they programmed playes out nicely.

They are asking for our ideas because they are looking for creative input that might give them ideas that can be rather easily implemented and doesn't have much flaws.

I'm afraid changing the emotion system in a way similar to meaningful stories is someting they cannot win with. People using mods will be disappointed if it is not at least as good as the mod they prefer to use, others will voice their disappointment that after 7 years, EA does not at least come up with something miles better than the lots of mods available. A lot of people playing Vanilla will whine that they liked the old system better. It's a chore to change all the buffs that are now in game to something balanced and meaningful. Why should EA do that if they already know that more people will be disappointed than pleased with their changes?

I remember the traits update that barely scratched the surface and brought new stuff some people didn't like. That must have been hard for them, because the have put work into these changes. And the trait system is A LOT smaller and less complex than the emotion system.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,398 Member
    Emotions are a failed experiment. It's awful. I wish nothing less than a complete removal of them in the Sims 5.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited August 2021
    EA/Maxis tweaking their program before every pack is released would be an Godsend but they do not they make an patch but it breaks some stuff when the pack is released and it does not always involve mods. There was an few times when EA/Maxis really screwed up referring to an pack released in Sims 3 called Ambitions in which the patch before the pack was released it screwed up most people game and EA/Maxis had to do an quick patch, what an doosy that was. :)
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    This has been a problem since base game in 2014 but EA is more focused in dlcs because the sims community buys every (insert bad word here) they make.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I wish they would just get rid of them completely.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I agree and think it is the amount of work they would have to do. Just about every DLC uses it in some way. To go back and readjust everything is a major task, plus it will have to be done simultaneously with everything they are working on. I imagine they would have abandoned them like whims, if they would.

Perhaps this is an unpopular opinion, but I'm actually all for leaving the emotion buffs alone. I care to a minimal degree what emotions my Sims are experiencing and how realistic that is. My problem is that it is currently too important in determining whims (an abandoned system that needs reworking and revival) and autonomy. Notice I do not think it should have no influence. I think it makes sense that a painter would wish to paint when (s)he has strong emotions, which makes use of the unique emotion actions. However a painter should want to paint, and not say cook with zero cooking skill just because of inspiration. Sims with the same emotions act too similarly and for a long time personality traits have been very bare on top of it, so there are few if any methods to really counter it.

We've ended up with a system where emotion pretty well dominates and dictates everything instead of simply contributing flavor like it should. My favorite part of 3's Sims was definitely the detailed personality system. Sims felt and acted unique based on those mechanics, their whims reflective of it and their lifetime wishes. 2 was very similar in that the lifetime aspirations were well developed and contrasted starkly from one another. It the autonomy was more needs focused, but you it was overall an interesting and dynamic mechanic to engage with. I can very much imagine 4's emotion system in those games, but acting independent. So the Sims are randomly flipping through happy, sad, etc. I would be happy with that, and it confirms to me that the real power of emotion is flavor rather than some amazing intelligence system.
  • Options
    sourapfelsourapfel Posts: 18 Member
    They're not hard to update, they're just not suitable for a game like The sims and their reluctance to mess with them as they are probably comes from their awareness of the fact. I just don't see what could be done to improve them. I am using multiple mods that are supposed to make emotions realistic and better but frankly i'm not seeing any improvement, they continue to irk me and I wish they weren't a thing.

Emotions are a gimmick and I hope they will remain exclusive to this iteration.
  • Options
    I think the buff intensity and time limit need to be adjusted and maybe not make so many of the positive buffs stack unless they go hand in hand. Like a flirty buff because of first kiss and a new love make sense. But it should fade away and change to maybe happy or inspired when talking to a neighbor about cooking, painting, etc. My sim shouldn't be in a flirty mood for 8 whole hours after a good woohoo when grandma just died like 4 sim hours ago. I think certain situations should be more intense than others and others not as intense and long lasting.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Honestly, at this point they should just hire roBurky to fix the Sims 4 emotion system. She did a great job fixing most of it with the Meaningful Stories mod.
    Besides, they're already hiring CC creators to make content for the game, why not a talented modder?
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Either way I don't think it's a good idea for them to change something as big as the emotion system so late in the game because it can mess with how ppl play the game and can cause a lot of problems. I guess they could tweak it a little but I don't see a whole overhaul coming.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I use plenty of mods, but none that change how emotions work. I understand how people enjoy them, but I’ve seen them in action on streams/videos and I wouldn’t like the changes any of them bring. Examples I’m thinking of actually put more emphasis on the emotions, which I don’t want to do.

I see negative emotions as obstacles to work around. It can sometimes be easy to switch to the desired emotion. Other times, it’s harder. I don’t want to make them last longer and I don’t find the powerful ones particularly easy to overcome. Like a +5 sad moodlet for the loss of a beloved spouse... I think it lasts 2 days, whatever it is is long enough for me. A mod I’m thinking of makes it last a week or longer, no thank you.

I like using emotions to get better results in arts, cooking and other increased skill gains. But I don’t care that it slightly directs my gameplay (to take a few minutes to watch the clouds first, or do something on the computer, or drink some tea, or take a special type of shower or bath). If I don’t want to take that time, I don’t have to. Sometimes I like to auto-solve the hygiene need and see what they choose to do. If they sing in the shower, they might get inspired and that might lead to something else. If they take a bubble bath and become playful, so what? I mean, I guess they could die, but for the most part they’re fine.

I think the Surge Emotion action is super cool as well, and it helps me keep them in a desired mood for way longer.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    I'd just like to see more "Fine" emotions (and the default also changed to "Fine" from "Happy") so Sims can actually spend some time in a neutral state once in a while. I also think that the Happy emotions stacking is overkill. Wouldn't it be cool to see a Sim who's inspired but also Sad, Angry or nervous? We already have paintings for different emotional states, but what about songs too? Or poems and books written from the appropriate mood? Why is it only paintings that are affected? That's one of the things that shows how unbalanced the emotion system actually is. Imagine a Sim who is energized but Angry and needs to work it off by jogging or pumping iron. Or a sad, romantic Sim who flirts in a melancholy, forlorn manner. Why can't negative moods also stack with "offshoot" emotions (inspired, energized, focused, etc.)

I also agree that negative buffs should override the happy buffs some of the time. Particularly as the result of a catalystic event. Maybe that's something that should be taken into consideration since Sims don't have proper memories; life altering events should have a very strong influence. First marriage, first kiss, first woohoo, first baby, reaching the top of a career... should all definitely give "Very Happy" buffs if successful and mark those turning points in a Sim's life. Then things like first rejection, fired from a job, death of a loved one, cataclysmic life failure, etc. should also override with the appropriate negative emotion and mark that point in a Sim's life.

I get that we aren't going to have a full blown memory system but we should, at the very least, have Sims remember important moments. Even things like being turned into a Vampire, going on an extensive adventure, solving the Strangerville mystery, etc. should somehow be marked for a Sim to recall and recognize. Even if it's just something that comes up in their thought bubbles once in a while while they're idle and gives them a temporary small buff. I think the thought bubbles could use some tweaking and Whims should definitely be overhauled (or at least added to) to make sense to the Traits and Aspirations like they used to.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    I'd just like to see more "Fine" emotions (and the default also changed to "Fine" from "Happy") so Sims can actually spend some time in a neutral state once in a while. I also think that the Happy emotions stacking is overkill. Wouldn't it be cool to see a Sim who's inspired but also Sad, Angry or nervous? We already have paintings for different emotional states, but what about songs too? Or poems and books written from the appropriate mood? Why is it only paintings that are affected? That's one of the things that shows how unbalanced the emotion system actually is. Imagine a Sim who is energized but Angry and needs to work it off by jogging or pumping iron. Or a sad, romantic Sim who flirts in a melancholy, forlorn manner. Why can't negative moods also stack with "offshoot" emotions (inspired, energized, focused, etc.)

I also agree that negative buffs should override the happy buffs some of the time. Particularly as the result of a catalystic event. Maybe that's something that should be taken into consideration since Sims don't have proper memories; life altering events should have a very strong influence. First marriage, first kiss, first woohoo, first baby, reaching the top of a career... should all definitely give "Very Happy" buffs if successful and mark those turning points in a Sim's life. Then things like first rejection, fired from a job, death of a loved one, cataclysmic life failure, etc. should also override with the appropriate negative emotion and mark that point in a Sim's life.

I get that we aren't going to have a full blown memory system but we should, at the very least, have Sims remember important moments. Even things like being turned into a Vampire, going on an extensive adventure, solving the Strangerville mystery, etc. should somehow be marked for a Sim to recall and recognize. Even if it's just something that comes up in their thought bubbles once in a while while they're idle and gives them a temporary small buff. I think the thought bubbles could use some tweaking and Whims should definitely be overhauled (or at least added to) to make sense to the Traits and Aspirations like they used to.

if you want that get bust the dust @LiELF fine is what you get a lot with that
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    @comicsforlife Thanks for that info! :) Only problem is, I don't really want extra chores so I probably won't be picking up that kit.

But on another note, I have noticed more emotional dampening on some of my Sims and at least there are more ways to get Sims in that state. I just wish they defaulted to Fine with full needs.
    #Team Occult