Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

7 years and babies are still objects - is it time to make them sims?

Comments

• hymnhehimhymnhehim Posts: 518 Member
    I prefer object babies, sorry.
    Hey, I'm Milo (he/him)! I love The Sims 4, and I've been playing it since December of 2020. My Sims bestie and forums bestie is Gonnawin1111, aka V.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I leave babies in the larval stage only long enough for parents to perform the handful of interactions supported, and to assure that any prior toddlers still menacing my households have progressed at least far enough to use the potty without assistance, then age them up to see whose looks they inherited (I can tell better from toddlers than children, though one doesn't get a real look until the teen years).

Babies pretty much eat, fuss, sleep and poop, and drastically interrupt adult sleep-schedules and other routines, and don't begin to become more interesting until they become ambulatory and begin to be able to share their thoughts. Without real agency, or means to express needs and wants, it makes perfect sense for babies to be highly demanding furniture. I feel this captures the essence of new parenthood just fine.

No need to mess with a simulation that covers the real essentials.

I enjoy toddlers, children and teens. Taking a baby out of a bassinet for a sink bath or a changing table or to lug around and force strangers to admire would not give me more to enjoy - I'd simply worry that the baby would get lost. I know where I keep the bassinet. Where am I going to put the rest of that stuff? Are undirected sims going to be taking the baby places, then going off to do other things? No - it's just a minefield I don't care to navigate.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited August 2021
    Well I still think they will be freed. Some people tend to give up because it doesn't happen open night. They literally work on things for "years"
    Not very fussed about babies. I mainly play teens and children and some adults.
    I find it hard to fit babies and toddlers into the apocalypse even though they are cute to play with.
    Even if they are freed I just don't see myself playing with them much but I want so bad the things they might come with like carriages or baby swings etc. At least I can use it for my toddler. And of not a modder will make it😆
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member
    haneul wrote: »
    They're easy to take care of and give my sims a break before the toddler stage.

This.
    VentusMatt wrote: »
    babies are a short stage and honestly the least interesting. Irl babies aren't really fun because they are fragile and can't do anything. They sleep, poop, and eat that's it. The only real perk of a baby is that they are cute.

Babies in the sims aren't any different. They eat, poop, and sleep. Would it be nice to take them out of the crib maybe but in the end they wouldn't be anything more then an object for your older sims to carry while they did other things.

And this. There are better things for the developers to spend time on.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    edited August 2021
    Yes, yes, yes!!! I have been waiting for babies to become real for so long now. Most of my babies have been waiting for a baby update for years too!!
    I would love to be able to treat them like a real person. They talk about dogs not having a dog house, but even kittens and puppies can go places. Heck even baby chicks can move around. And yet we still don’t have a real baby we can carry around and take places with us. I want changing tables ( I would like to be able to change toddlers on a table too….. yes, I know there is a mod for it now, but I don’t use mods or cc, and my daughter plays on console and wants real babies too ). I want to be able to bathe a baby, take them around the neighborhood in a stroller, be able to sit on a couch and feed them, watch them enjoy a baby swing, watch them flail there arms and legs around when they are on the floor. It would be nice for them to be born with a few more different colors, and be able to see what hair color they will have when they grow up. I don’t expect to actually control them, but it would be nice to see their needs, and see them react to things. It would be nice to see a smile, or hear them utter their first word, see them roll over in a bed, take a selfie with them, or take a picture of a sim holding them. I would also like to be able take them off the lot, see animals nuzzle them, watch them on a blanket studying the sky.
    I play with aging off most of the time, so I would love babies to be real. It is the one thing I have wanted most since toddlers came out.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    Babies have always been objects, haven't they? They just used to be moveable in other games.

I don't think I want them unlinked from the crib though. I just remember in Sims 2, my Sims suddenly handing them off to another Sim or putting them down on the kitchen floor to go play with the dog, lol. I remember getting frustrated about having to play "where's the baby" when I switched back from playing another Sim. I tend to play multiple Sims in a household so that gets tedious. I ended up aging the babies up most of the time after a couple of interactions.

In Sims 4, that isn't a concern and I can let them be for a couple of days. (Sometimes I just age them up anyway) but I still don't play with them very much, probably never will. Infancy is ultra boring to me and more of an "obstacle life stage" that's necessary for the in game creation of the next Sim. It's not that I'm against family play, I just prefer when Sims are more independent and can be fine on their own, usually when they reach the child age. Toddlers can be fun sometimes too (so cute when they're Vampires!) but I have to be in the mood to play with them.
    #Team Occult
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    It irks me to no end that Babies are just lifeless cry machines right now. I want my sims to at least be able to carry them with them and have more options for cribs and clothing and a changing table. Have them in a stroller and bring them to the park - where you could do the same interactions on the stroller as on the crib etc. I don't like the idea of the babies being shoved away to some stranger while my sims are off doing things. It's not realistic that it just happens as a *poof* either. I just want a little more life in them, so the babies are worth caring about and playing with. I hope they do what they did to toddlers - really bring it, because man it's depressing to play them right now.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,768 Member
    It's not a big deal for either way, but I wouldn't mind a little bit more interactivity with the babies, like in TS3 where you could take them out the crib, put them in the stroller/ on the play mat/in the swing and such. Not high on my list, but it'd be nice to have.
    they/them or she/her
  • mitchiebanjomitchiebanjo Posts: 172 Member
    I don't understand what people want from "babies" in the sims. Some people I think want sims babies to be a substitute for real babies that maybe they don't have. I get that sort of because I am allergic to cats irl so most of my pets in the game are cats. There really isn't much you can do with babies. Hold them and care for them which we can already do. But the difference between object and actual sim is all in our minds anyway. Sims aren't any more real than objects anyway, we just pretend they are as part of the game.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    While, at first I enjoyed the number of interactions we had with the BABY OBJECT, this quickly grows old, since the baby is placed back into the bassinet after each interaction. This defies simulation. How many of us have had to cuddle, then rock, then bounce a crying baby in reality? Do we ever return them to the crib/bassinet in between such maneuvers? No, baby just gets more agitated and howls harder! It's absurd. The babies in Sims2 were superior to the ones in Sims4, whereas the Toddlers of Sims4 outrank all other Toddlers in the entire franchise!

We should have the babies become actual Sims (and not just age up to Sim status) sooner rather than later, if you please, EA. It's like saying a baby or child isn't human until they become an Adult. Seriously? I mean, seriously?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I don't care if the baby stage is only 2 days...I make the most of it. In every version of the game, my infants get treated like part of the family. If they're placed on the floor, I just have someone pick them up and put them somewhere appropriate. I dress them up. I create beautiful nurseries. I love them because they are sims I'm going to watch grown from birth to death. Some people enjoy babies and all the stages. In TS2 and TS3 I made the baby stage last at least 15 days. In TS4 I age them up immediately because there is no point playing with an object...there's already enough of that in TS4. I'd like some actual interactions with the human types, which there isn't enough of in this game.

I'd like babies to become sims. I want to take them with me and dote on them. I want for them to learn to sit up and crawl, learn to eat food, hold their own bottle. They should start babbling and saying first words. They should form bonds with their family and pets. There is so much to real life baby stage that I can't believe the person above said they're boring. That's one of the best stages of life.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    The fact that we have to fight for over 7 years to get real babies in a so called life simulation game but that they can make a pack about Star Wars out of nowehere within a few months is very telling about this iteration.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    I don't mind babies to be objects, they're not an interesting life stage anyway. I usually can't wait for them to age up into toddlers, which I love.
    It's just not such a big deal if they get updated, though, then I will just accept it and move on.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,945 Member
    edited August 2021
    LiELF wrote: »
    I remember getting frustrated about having to play "where's the baby" when I switched back from playing another Sim.

Well *cough* what about that locate sim feature they just updated into game huh :smirk: i wonder if they sneakity sneak it in now in preparation of where's the baby rerun

I mean babies might not be anywhere near my priorities but id still like to have something to do with them cause as it is now i end up just aging in like a sim day cause it gets boring and restricts whatever else i was up to
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited August 2021
    I don't understand what people want from "babies" in the sims. Some people I think want sims babies to be a substitute for real babies that maybe they don't have. I get that sort of because I am allergic to cats irl so most of my pets in the game are cats. There really isn't much you can do with babies. Hold them and care for them which we can already do. But the difference between object and actual sim is all in our minds anyway. Sims aren't any more real than objects anyway, we just pretend they are as part of the game.

In the Sims 2 babies would share the genetics of their parents from birth, they were real sims and they didn't need to be put down in between every single interaction. I want babies in the Sims 4 to also be this way. I play on the longest life span and I never age sims up early, I have around 10 days of boring baby objects that don't even look like they are part of the family they belong to, I want this to be improved.
  • angelbearangelbear Posts: 151 Member
    For me I don't need babies atounomus. Can you imagine them crawling out the door just because they can and wondering around outside or all the new animations. I would however be okay with just a few new actions. For instance the ability to put them on a mat or boppy or in a swing in the family room let them kick their legs and coo. Or let them interact with a changing table or baby bath tub or even just to walk in a stroller. Even walking around with them would make them feel a little more alive at least and I would be fine with that.
    Simmingal wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    I remember getting frustrated about having to play "where's the baby" when I switched back from playing another Sim.

Well *cough* what about that locate sim feature they just updated into game huh :smirk: i wonder if they sneakity sneak it in now in preparation of where's the baby rerun

I mean babies might not be anywhere near my priorities but id still like to have something to do with them cause as it is now i end up just aging in like a sim day cause it gets boring and restricts whatever else i was up to

I sure hope you are right. I have wanted them to be more than just objects for so long!
    edited August 2021

Well, having had two babies myself, I know there is a whole lot more to babies than we get from the sims 4. In real life they take up an exhausting amount of time, and a simple smile can make your day.

And if they add babies that can be placed places maybe the could give us some rugs that look like blankets that could be placed on the floor, couch, or bed.
  • Lulu29Lulu29 Posts: 171 Member
    Yes, I do think it's about time that the babies had an upgrade tbh. There's so much that they could do with this life stage. For example; they could possibly make it so that the babies have "skills" (sitting up, crawling, walking) before they age up to the toddler stage. Then there's all the objects that could go along with them. As someone else suggested a play mat for "tummy time" and a functional nappy changing unit. Baby monitor's as decor.
    Interactions between other family members other than adults wouldn't go amiss either.
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    I suppose as a compromise, I wouldn't mind if babies as objects were given a slight visual overhaul to start (they really look weird like creepy dolls and not sims) and made them more interactive outside the crib such as baby carriers, strollers, diaper tables, ect - just more interactive.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,874 Member
    Sure, great for those who want it, so, yes.

I will still age them up right away.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    Babies Schmabies.
    I couldn't care less.

Although I hope that one day very very soon we'll all get that highly requested baby upgrade. At least then I no longer have to see or hear a combination of the words "free" and "baby" so that everybody can just focus on me whining about werebeasts, cars and body hair.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I want babies I care about. It's 100% time. And after so many years of nursing while standing, I'm exhausted on behalf of my Sims. I have aged up so many babies instantly because I can't seem to actually care about a crib with moving parts.

I'd like other lifestages improved too, but this one might as well not even exist. It needs it way more, IMO.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 846 Member
    For everyone that wants this so badly, absolutely, bring it on! As for me I couldn't care less. I've aged up babies right away since Sims 2. I love babies IRL, but they've always been so poorly implemented in the Sims series', I can't be bothered to care.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • ArcaArca Posts: 183 Member
    edited August 2021
    If the team is deciding to make some improvements on the base game, they should consider of life stages improvements.
    Free the babies, add preteen and adjust the height of teens...these are MUST
    2wAhNVR.jpg
    Post edited by Arca on