Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How are you making money in Cottage Living?

Im trying to just earn money from crops, selling knits and those hoops, and selling eggs and crops. But falling short due to the size of my bills (about 4K after reductions). I find I have to sell a painting or two on Plopsey to make ends meet. Please share your moneymaking tips!

Comments

• SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    One of my sim's bunny friends gifted him an orchid, which I planted in a pot, and is worth about §3.5k per harvest. It actually pays better than my other sim's Culinary career. My sis, who is a much more seasoned Sims gardener and routinely makes her sims make money any way they can, informs me that flowers, in general, are quite lucrative compared to other crops.
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    As someone pointed out go plant some Orchids and back it up with Dragon Fruit. Make sure you have a Greenhouse during the off season. Soon you will rolling in $$$.
  • mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    With this pack, the most money I've found so far is the golden hen. I always check out the stalls during festivals on Saturdays, and got lucky that the golden treat was available for purchase. It was pretty pricey at over 400 simoleons, but once you have a gold hen, the gold eggs can sell for 300 a piece. During festivals, I think you can sell the eggs for more, if your sim can haggle. Birds and bunnies you've befriended can give great gifts too, including animal treats. I watched one of Carl's videos on YouTube and he replaced all his animals with birds. It was pretty amusing to watch him 'farm' for gifts. I'm thinking I may actually give this a try as a rags to riches, once I've gotten further along with my current household.
    And if your sims knit, the llama neck wear can sell for 1000 simoleons on Plopsy. Even without a llama to provide the wool, the profit is still about 700.
    I'm sure there are other ways, I'm still discovering things as I go. I haven't played too much yet with oversized crops. They seem to require a lot of fertilizers which are quite expensive, so for now I've only been using them on crops that I'm planning to enter in festivals. The rest are used for canning or cooking.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    edited August 2021
    I just barely finished McGregors farm, and haven’t moved them in yet ( male and female adult, and a hunting dog ). They have a spare room for their grandson ( child ), and granddaughter ( teen ), because they visit a lot, sometimes they even move in with them for awhile. Currently they make a little money from gardening, they have a green house I have moved over to the lot they will be on ( the plants reverting to dirt piles bug is annoying me with them though ). She knits and sells things on plopsy or the sales table ( since he fishes too they make trips to Sulani often.and also collect shells and dig for treasures to sell ), and he does woodworking, and has a part time fishing job he will quit to farm. He will still fish on the side as he loves it. I liked the house they were in, in Brindleton Bay so I uploaded it to my Library and changed it a bit making it fit into HOB. I gave them 2 sheds and a chicken coop with room for one more coup at least, ( hopefully they will be able to afford it, if not I will delete the coop and sheds until they can afford them ). There is room for a later shed for for fizzy drinks and candle making ( they haven’t done yet ). She usually does the gardening, but I think I’m going to have her start the Maker career in Eco living. He will quit his part time fishing job and make furniture ( hopefully with her Maker career she can also make furniture ) as well as farming, with the animals. They have also started dumpster diving…. Lol. I’m thinking of giving them the 20x15 lot or 20x20 lot in town for a furniture/grocery/ trinket store, later when they can afford it. They have big dreams of moving back to their homeland and starting a real farm, and hopefully their own business someday!
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    My sim has a freelance job that she can do in-between farming tasks.
  • StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,444 Member
    Yolee wrote: »
    Im trying to just earn money from crops, selling knits and those hoops, and selling eggs and crops. But falling short due to the size of my bills (about 4K after reductions). I find I have to sell a painting or two on Plopsey to make ends meet. Please share your moneymaking tips!

@Yolee if you have enough satisfaction points, think it's 1500 or 2000, you can get the frugal reward trait which reduces your bills by 25%. Another thing I just learned watching James Turner's lets play yesterday is that some roofs actually *increase* your bills. He changed a roof to the eco living solar roof & his bills went down a good bit. Also learned from that video is that apparantly if more than one person in a household has the frugal trait the bill reduction increases (ie: if 2 sims in household have it bills are reduced 50%). Hopefully these will help you.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited August 2021
    I built a greenhouse and planted Dragon Fruit and Quill Fruit. I can sell them directly or wait until the fair and sell them with a profit.

I made a separate section of the greenhouse too where I have plants just for food or for errands.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    My Sim’s dust bunny gave him a money tree seed! Now he doesn’t have to worry if he spills the milk. 😁
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    Eggs (gold and obsidian), wool, and crops. Sell on Fair days for +10%, +25% if you successfully haggle. I also do things like separate items by quality between my various sims' inventories so that I'm not selling everything for Poor quality prices (or whatever the lowest quality I have in my inventory is)
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    A prior career as a painter yielding the Fabulously Wealthy reward trait, plus a big nest egg to generate interest. Never fails.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • jeepjeepcatjeepjeepcat Posts: 2,302 Member
    Golden eggs and Dragon Fruit. It took ages, but all my chickens (4 and a rooster) are golden and I have about 8 Dragon fruit plants. Perfect thanks to golden scrambled eggs. I struggled for ages, but now they're earning on average 15k simoleans every 2 days.
  • angelbearangelbear Posts: 151 Member
    I garden and have eggs and milk, oversized crops can bring in a decent amount if you are willing to take the time. With bunnies and birds and bees and an occasional fertilizing its not to hard to get the largest size. I also have my sim can and make preserves though the week to sell at her sales table during thr fairs. My bills are only 700-800 and I manage to have 12000 in savings. Thats also managing their two toddler daughters, washing clothes by hand and bust the dust to the mix.

Once the bloom family hits 20k they will sell their house and move to a 50x40 lot and hopefully get a little bigger garden and add a Llama. After all their children will need their own rooms and at least another bathroom eventually and a school room. I plan on homeschooling the girls and any future children as my Sims are only halfway through YA so when the mood hits them I let them Woo-hoo and have risky turned on with MCCC so you never know when she get pregnant.

Skills
    -helping take care of garden
    -helping take care of animals
    -helpping cook
    -needle point
    -knitting
    -work toward mastering child skills
    -work on adult skills that are unlocked
    -journal

Haven't decided what else yet. I'll probably make a club and add the kids from Henford into it and have a play date on Sundays or meet up during the fair.

• calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    My Millionaire elders retire to HoB. Sorry, can't help!
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    🤔

My Sim is not making any money… He's trying to survive on charming mushrooms and fish.
    He's doing grand.
  • ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    edited August 2021
    I'm not making much money right now. I only have like 4 thousand simoleons at the moment (been playing for a while). It constantly storms in Henford and my Sims keep wanting to run inside. Can't get anything done. Thinking about moving back to Brindleton Bay or maybe Willow Creek.
    He/Him
    I have been lucky so far only stormy in spring after I got through it was easier. But I only had maybe two a week which I was okay with
  • mollymegan82mollymegan82 Posts: 703 Member
    ROSES!!!!! i garden all roses
  • wylmite1986wylmite1986 Posts: 1,771 Member
    Last I played before my computer died, I was running errands for the Sims in town and selling stuff from my garden and such.
    sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    edited August 2021
    My Sims are trying to garden, but the crops keep reverting back to dirt piles all the time, so they don't get a lot of harvest from the regular crops. I'm not so much into growing oversized crops, they take too much time to grow and they don't look as nice as the regular ones. I only have few of them.
    My Cottage Living Sims are not rich and it takes a lot of time for them to earn money without actual jobs. One of them is a freelance crafter, but she doesn't make much money because she never has enough "bits and pieces" to make anything. Her husband recycles everything he can, but there is never enough things to recycle to get the needed bits and pieces.
    Kimmer wrote: »
    My Sims are trying to garden, but the crops keep reverting back to dirt piles all the time, so they don't get a lot of harvest from the regular crops. I'm not so much into growing oversized crops, they take too much time to grow and they don't look as nice as the regular ones. I only have few of them.
    My Cottage Living Sims are not rich and it takes a lot of time for them to earn money without actual jobs. One of them is a freelance crafter, but she doesn't make much money because she never has enough "bits and pieces" to make anything. Her husband recycles everything he can, but there is never enough things to recycle to get the needed bits and pieces.

Have you tried the reduce recycle lot challenge you actively have to manage your trash out put every day. You can sort your garbage for compostables and recyclables and when you compost or recycle what is put in your inventory it turns bits and pieces
  • MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member
    I make money with selling my products like plants, eggs and milk. I do the errands for the rewards. For example you can sell the animal clothes on plobsy and earn lot of money. I have birds and rabbits for helping me in the garden and getting gifts.
    Some of my Sims have a pond for fishing. I only have expensive fishs in the pond.

I reduce the bills with water collectors, windmills and upgrading objects. My Sims are living in tiny houses and off the grid.

In the beginning you should visit the grocery stalls every day. Sometimes they sell very rare objects like cowberries or golden treats.

Animal treats are very helpfull. For example my golden chickens help me to get better plants so I can sell them for more money and they give me golden eggs. That's better than getting once 1 golden milk or 1 golden wool.

Currently my Sim has 16k $ and I don't know how to spend it. With the rewards and gifts it's so easy to making money even if your Sim has no job.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I'm taking things extremely slow Rags to Riches style with my Sim, Abbey Ainsley. She started in Spring with nothing on the secret cottage lot by the waterfalls in the Bramblewoods. At first she earned money by; doing errands for the Creature Keeper - Michael Bell, fishing and harvesting wild plants. She can only sell frogs and collectibles (fossils, crystals, etc.) via personal inventory. Everything else must be sold at the market stalls until she can afford a yard sale table.

She also has the Simple Living lot trait. So far she's been able to earn enough to get four oversized plant plots and plant; watermelon, lettuce, eggplants and pumpkins. She also grows Chocoberries, a variety of mushrooms and a couple other things, can't recall what they are at the moment. Her three bunny friends, Bun Bun, Hopper and Monty help with the garden and give her gifts too. So far, nothing has reverted to dirt piles. 🤞

Recently, she was able to buy a fenced in chicken coop and two chickens; a hen named Sophia Lorhen and a rooster named Cogburn. She herself still doesn't have a real home, but has some things on the lawn; a fridge, sink, portable shower, poo woo bush, stove, blow up mattress and one counter. That's it, no house. :D However, she did get one of the new bicycles. A necessity in my opinion for anyone living on that lot. I'm hoping now that she has the chickens, she'll earn enough to get a cow. Probably take awhile though, which makes me happy! I love this! <3
  • TARDISgradeTARDISgrade Posts: 193 Member
    In my farming family none of my Sims have a job, but they earn money from their skills. The family matriarch is a musician (violin skill: 10) so every week she can license one of her compositions, and get daily royalties from it (around 400-600 simoleons per day).

The son is a knitter and sells his creations on Plopsy (including cross-stitch pieces). He has the marketable reward trait. He also looks after their llama, and sells its wool (though sometimes he uses it for his own cross-stitch projects). He's also a keen collector, and roams around looking for time capsules, metals, crystals, etc and then sells everything he finds. Early in the game he made a wish at the wishing well which resulted in him receiving a daily allowance for the rest of his life, so every day he also gets a small, random amount of simoleons (generally between 6-20 simoleons) because of that. If you're lucky you might get a more generous allowance.

The sister is the one who does most of the gardening and farming (it merely started as her hobby, but now it's a full business and the core of all gameplay). She sells the harvestables, the eggs and honey from the bees, and alone she earns more than the family actually needs. In fact, I have the constant problem of my family earning way to much, and then donating a lot of money either to the wishing well or charity to get rid of it.
    At some point the daughter acquired a money tree from the aspiration rewards. I wanted her to plant and grow one because she has planted and researched every single existing plant, so after it grew I have used it a few times to earn extra cash, but then I removed it and placed it in the lot inventory, because it produces about 18,000 simoleons per day, and my family is already making way too much money with the other harvestables.

The lot in which they live is very small, so they only have 1 chicken coop and 1 llama, but if you have a bigger one with enough space for some animal sheds, you can make a pretty penny with the milk from the cows ad eggs from more chickens.
    Another way to make a lot of money is to have a family member who enjoys fishing, and sending them fishing all day. Not only can you sell the fish, but often they will get expensive stuff such as the voodoo doll, tablets, etc which you can sell for extra money.
    Painting is another hobby that allows yours Sims to make a lot of money very quickly (especially if you give them the "creative visionary" reward trait.

If your lot taxes are too high, you might consider getting the frugal reward trait for one of your Sims or possibly all family members (the more members have it, the lower the bills).
    Feel free to download content from My Gallery
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    So far, I'm really not. I did use the freerealestate cheat to get them into their abodes, so that the money they came out of CAS with is mostly what they're living on. That will change, once their crops are more fully mature and I turn to selling them. Not all of them, though, the family has to have something to eat, too. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • rudolpharudolpha Posts: 995 Member
    My mom and teen daughter have the simple living lot trait, 1 hen, and some crops. Mom also does odd jobs (especially Mixology ones) and is a Sabaac shark. Teen daughter sells her cross-stitch items on Plopsy.