Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Empty countryside in CoL?

Broke down and got the pack over the weekend, couldn't resist the British charm - it strikes an inner chord - and the animals. It's been huge fun so far, taken up way more time than intended, and is amazingly beautiful - even for TS4, The amount of territory a sim can wander through in the rural sections is impressive, seemingly endless. It also feels empty. Lots to see, but very little to interact with other than the swimmable rivers (Yea!), a fishable pond with benches, and a couple of places where one may buy seeds. On the Henford side I've so far found 2 blueberry bushes, 1 rabbit stump, and a lot of empty if green acreage. The season is summer. Is such emptiness typical? I wonder if it's due to Seasons limiting what's available, the gardening glitch that reduces plants to nothingness, or if that is the intention. That much land should have a lot more than 2 blue berry bushes, as in more of those and more varieties. I know the UK has fruit trees, so where are they? What about wild herbs and veggies? Rabbits and birds should be plentiful in such rural settings.

At long last we finally have something that feels almost like TS3 style open world, but why bother to go out there if there's nothing to find and do?

Thoughts from those of you who have been playing this a while are welcome.

Comments

• Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Harvestables are fairly sparse, but exist in all three neighborhoods. In addition to the wild rabbit warrens, New Old Henford and the Bramblewood also have wild bird flocks one can befriend. Once you have made some rabbit and bird friends, their warrens and nests can be purchased (under Outdoor Activities) and placed on your lot, giving your home lot some animal residents as well. Once you get to know them, they'll assist with gardening. Rabbits can weed, birds will take care of bugs.

New Old Henford feels the most empty, because it contains an enormous 40x50 lot which is vacant. But it is also a lot of open, river-bottom land. Harvestables are there to find, but you really do have to explore for them.

The Bramblewood is also vast, and harvestables seem to come and go. I think random visitors are also foraging, and may be beating my sims to the berry bushes and mushrooms. Both neighborhoods also have a few digging spots. The Aspiration challenge to forage five times in the Bramblewood took my sim four visits to actually complete. The layout of the area is delightfully confusing - but I get lost in games easily.

But yes - a lot of open space is, simply, open space. But picnics are a thing, and if there isn't a table in your favorite pretty spot, apparently one can now bring one's own. I think the open space is there to make the area convincingly rural, and give more distance to cover.

In light of which, a call-out to the area designers, who did a MUCH better job making Finchwich more bicycle-friendly than, say, Foxbury campus. I am likely to use the bonus content bike a lot more - even if it is a girls' bike (my sims don't mind).
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Living in those areas is pretty nice for dog owners. I don't have too many dog families in TS4, because I get bored with the incessant walks in most neighborhoods. But it's quite pleasant in the Bramblewood, in particular. Just be sure to block out plenty of time for it.
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    when i'm playing a country living lot it's an herbalist type sim up in the most remote lot in bramblewood, so that's the neighborhood i've learned the most... i had about a week of fall so did see a handful of raspberry bushes, though don't recall where they were. and since it's been winter in my game for a while, i learned most of the locations for chocoberries and nightly mushrooms (those have their own permanent growing spots, unlike the other 4 new mushroom types which all get found randomly among the 'strange mushroom' options. nightly mushrooms are also winter-only)

for chocoberries, there's one located right next to the bridge leading to the creature keeper's place (he's got carrots and...oddly...an avacado tree... growing in pots on his lot in my game, too). there are also two chocoberry bushes and one nightly mushroom spawn amid the ruins on the central island. there's also a spot there that can spawn up to 3 clumps of strange mushrooms pretty close to the nightly mushrooms

a bridge near the outside of the snail statue's spiral also has two spots right next to each other that can spawn up to 3 clumps of strange mushrooms... so that's 6 you can potentially harvest at once there. and then the bench on the first of two switchbacks on the path up to the lot at the top of the hill/mountain/whatever you want to call it also has a patch that can spawn up to 3 strange mushrooms on one side and a nightly mushroom on the other

as for bunny stumps and bird trees, you can actually see their locations on the travel map... there are 3 of each in the bramblewood, one of each in the other neighborhood outside the town
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    edited August 2021
    I have my two colonial families living in Windenburg (I needed the two 64 X 64 size lots). I put the tree trunk home for the rabbits and the small tree that holds the birds on both properties. I build a pond on the first property, but made the mistake, if you will, of starting out in Winter for this game save. So that both families have to deal with the season, it's set to 14 day seasons. I'm now questioning that decision. LOL The pond is frozen over, but there is no skating allowed, which is a shame. But also no fishing. Forget the fact it's not stocked! I really wish the devs hadn't made it a requirement that our Sims must have discovered fish in order to allow those to be stocked. (Sitting her wondering if that pop-down saying so-and-so just learned about a certain fish is what they're talking about?)

Once the festivals begin, I shall send a member from the active household to enter whatever category is up for that time. Had some really rotten luck when I first had my families living in HoB. The festivals would just fizzle out of existence without announcing who won. (Doesn't have to be my Sim, so long as the festival comes to an honest conclusion. Why else did they gather?) Suffer me to say, it really wasn't that much fun. I am disappointed. In the hopes it isn't an actual bug, I did a repair game. When that didn't seem to make an impact, I did a game folder Refresh. Then I began anew, only in Windenburg, instead. We'll see what good comes of it. If I don't find any satisfaction, I may jump back over to my Main save until this bug is fixed. Ho-hum. Just when I thought I'd finally be able to get somewhere with my Ancestral game save, too. ;'(
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited August 2021
    I would have thought they didn't add more harvestables in the open areas to increase the challenge for the errands. It's difficult though as a lot of people (me excluded) are looking for everything to be available asap. There's been so much rant about people not being able to harvest something they need for their errands that I can only prey they won't nuke the challenge.
    Same goes for taking care of crops and animals.

But that's only my personal opinion.

Moreover, there isn't that much to be done in an open rural area or the woods in real life, is there?

I love to think that they also were looking ahead in the future of the Sims 4 and providing rideable areas for horses.

They also added another bike for early buyers and I think these areas are great for biking.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    At first I wondered why it was so hard to find any of the mushrooms, etc, needed for one of my errands, but then I realized this pack has a very charming laid-back vibe. Nothing needs to be rushed, and I'm making myself slow down rather than get caught back up in the endless cycle of grinding for levels, which gets boring. Now I'm like, oh, I can't get this particular mushroom till winter and I'm in the spring? Ok, no worries, I'll find it eventually. So far none of the errands have had a time limit, so I feel I have time to take things slow.

I hope these aspects don't get nerfed. Everything doesn't have to be done at once, and I like that.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    I would have thought they didn't add more harvestables in the open areas to increase the challenge for the errands. It's difficult though as a lot of people (me excluded) are looking for everything to be available asap. There's been so much rant about people not being able to harvest something they need for their errands that I can only prey they won't nuke the challenge.

Moreover, there isn't that much to be done in an open rural area or the woods in real life, is there?

I love to think that they also were looking ahead in the future of the Sims 4 and providing rideable areas for horses.

They also added another bike for early buyers and I think these areas are great for biking.

Thank you, everyone, for your input. It appears the emptiness is a deliberate thing, though I wonder whether it's been taken a bit too far. From personal experience while living in New Hampshire years ago such areas are good for finding blue berries, raspberries, and black berries - not vast plots of them (though that can happen), but not scarcer than hen's teeth, either. If one knows what to look for and where, herbs should be abundant. I don't expect to find wild lemon trees, but apple, pear, and cherry should be at least present. Maybe it will take a visit to the real Cotswolds to to have a more accurate picture of what's out there. I'm not holding my breath on the horses, though it would be nice. Fox hunts, anyone?
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    The vast empty countryside in the game is very realistic for uk countryside you don’t find a lot of wild fruit and veg anymore a lot of it is grown on farms and in gardens etc. Also fox hunting is illegal in the uk so I’m glad that was never added into the game.
  • Options
    Times have changed, then. I remember when no story set in rural England was complete without at least one fox hunt with all the rich folks in their red jackets, odd hats, and hounds baying as the whole lot charged across the countryside. Must have been an early 20th century and earlier thing.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited August 2021
    I think they could have placed some more collectibles at the edges of the maps, it's the countryside but it's also a game, doesn't make sense to make the game semi-open world but not place anything worth exploring in the world.

I like the river where sims spawn and go for a swim and the lake where you can fish in Old New Henford. The open garden where sims seems to spawn and plant random plants doesn't really do it for me and the playground with toys just laying on the ground with no kids with them feels weird. At least some sims spawn and hang around there.

The huge area with the snail in The Bramblewood feels more like a thing for Maxis to be honest, I know it's based on the snail statue they have outside of their headquarters but I don't think many people will get that reference and are probably more likely to wonder why it's there and why it takes so long for sims to visit the statue, I love the ruins in the middle though. But again, they could have more collectibles in my opinion.
  • Options
    Agree. It's like the balance between game features and the area vibe is off. Other than player curiosity the first few times of playing, there's no reason for sims to go out there. The upper left region and island in Windenburg have reasonable area to roam around in, and there is a reason to roam around. Here there is almost none, which is a shame as the landscape is beautiful.
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I love the beauty of the countryside and the very rural setting for a quiet but busy farm life. That said, I was disappointed with the very low key festival/competition. I ended up updating the pub to include dart, pingpong, and foosball upstairs and chess, horseshoes, swing set and outdoor doll house in the outside part of the pub. Plan to have my sims enjoy the acttivities at the pub with family and friends while waiting for the competition results. Also update Volpe to a park with chess tables and outdoor equipment for the children and toddlers. A nice family day at the park where the children have something to do so don't get bored. I wish they had the freezer bunny lawn game from sims 3 that was easily put and inventory so could play anywhere. My sims always enjoyed it! It would be great if children could play outdoor games like tag and hide and seek as well with other children to help keep them having fun wherever they are.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I hope it will remain as it is with certain crops being available at certain times. My sim is currently growing an pumpkin for an errand. It is nice, took some time to get the seeds and now we wait. I am really enjoying this.
  • Options
    Times have changed, then. I remember when no story set in rural England was complete without at least one fox hunt with all the rich folks in their red jackets, odd hats, and hounds baying as the whole lot charged across the countryside. Must have been an early 20th century and earlier thing.

Yeah times have changed it was a sport amongst the middle/higher/aristocracy/royals classes for a long time and it was outlawed in mid 2000s (can’t remember the exact year) hunts can still take place but the dogs follow a scent trail not foxes. Many illegal hunts take place still. I live in the uk countryside and it was a big part of the culture. Especially Boxing Day hunts. It’s now seen as animal cruelty.
  • Options
    netney52 wrote: »

Yeah times have changed it was a sport amongst the middle/higher/aristocracy/royals classes for a long time and it was outlawed in mid 2000s (can’t remember the exact year) hunts can still take place but the dogs follow a scent trail not foxes. Many illegal hunts take place still. I live in the uk countryside and it was a big part of the culture. Especially Boxing Day hunts. It’s now seen as animal cruelty.

Not surprised. Let's hope fishing isn't next. Covid permitting, I might get over there next summer for school, taking extra time to do the tourist thing, especially the Cotswolds, so that might increase my appreciation for this. Among a lot of other things.
  • Options
    netney52 wrote: »

Not surprised. Let's hope fishing isn't next. Covid permitting, I might get over there next summer for school, taking extra time to do the tourist thing, especially the Cotswolds, so that might increase my appreciation for this. Among a lot of other things.

Without derailing the thread too much and breaking the forum rules fox hunting is nothing like fishing and it’s illegal for a reason in the uk and as my initial post said it would and should never be in the game.
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Sure they couldve added a few more havestables in the bramble woods (personally I never had any problems finding what I needed tho) but other than that, what else would one do when in the woods/country?
    Maybe bird watching...and if the picknic basket would actually let us have a picknic on the ground that would've been cool...
    That rabbits and bird trees are limited makes sense to me, irl rabbits run and hide from you, they maybe there but you wont see them, birds are flying or up in a tree not directly in front of you being able to be talked to ;)

What would really be cool if we could hike there, like we can in Mt Komorebi, especially hike with other sims (and dogs).

But you can cloudgaze, take photographs, walk/jog with your dog, play with/train your dog, maybe do yoga if you bring a mat, picknic at the picknic table, pick harvestables, swim in the river, look for frogs, talk to birds and bunnies, watch foxes, go fishing, investigate the snail statue, interact with the creature keeper (talk, buy, trade and order animal clothes)...I feel like that is sufficiant for a rural area.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    ZiafarZiafar Posts: 703 Member
    edited August 2021
    @RavenSpit You cannot hike with others but if you are not against mods you could hike alone with Bienchen's mod Nature walk for everyone.
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    @Ziafar thanks for the tip, unfortunatly I am on console so no mods for me :(
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member

I’m glad harvestable spawns are sparse and sometimes out of season or require you to be in certain places at certain times. It’s realistic if you’re into foraging to have to know where to go and when to go there. Plus so much comes so easy in this game it’s fun to have to strategize a bit to accomplish something.
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member

I’m glad harvestable spawns are sparse and sometimes out of season or require you to be in certain places at certain times. It’s realistic if you’re into foraging to have to know where to go and when to go there. Plus so much comes so easy in this game it’s fun to have to strategize a bit to accomplish something.

Yeah, I like that the harvestables are scarce and that sometimes it takes a while to get an errand done. Otherwise I'd zip through everything in just a few gaming sessions and then complain that there was nothing to do. I'm enjoying the slower pace, although in some ways it's not slow at all, because my poor sim is busy every minute taking care of her crops, animals, and going to HOB every few days to sell stuff.
  • Options
    Have seen a minor development. Dominic from Windenham showed up at the place where the dirt plots are and planted at least 3 things in each one. Now to see what develops. Also, have noticed that much of the open area surrounds the various lots. I don't suppose there's a mod out there that allows use of the land around a given lot by the resident there.
  • Options
    ElisdreamElisdream Posts: 295 Member
    edited March 2022
    I love how in Windenburg you have a small area with a couple of apple trees. It gives the illusion of a small "apple tree meadow". Every autumn, I send my sims to collect apples with their family, and after they're done, I have them bake apple pies at home, or gift apples to their families /neighbours. It's a very small detail that I've been enjoying since I started playing the game and that has allowed me to get pretty creative. Sadly, I haven't encountered any other detail like this in any of the recent worlds, including Henford. The community garden is such a lovely idea, but you can't plant anything outside your lot still, so it's kinda sad. Every time I visit it, it's empty, or there are dying plants everywhere that you can't even interact with. I was expecting an area full of different types berries for example, as you say, that would have been a great addition to the world, definitely.
  • Options
    ElisdreamElisdream Posts: 295 Member
    edited March 2022
    Delated.
    Post edited by Elisdream on
  • Options
    There is an area with 3 lemon trees and 3 cherry trees across from the vacant lot in the upper left corner of the map. Depending on which direction you go, there are various other harvestable plants and some fishing spots.