Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Always coming in Third in Finchwick Fair

Has anyone else had issues placing in the fair? I've had times that my sim has been submitted the only entry and still only gotten a participation prize :( It's like no matter what I do or how good my entry is, it's still not as good as Mr. Townie and his normal quality submission :'(
Veni_sig.png

Comments

• KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    edited August 2021
    I think winning the fair is kind of random, at least by watching some other simmers let's plays. Sometimes they bring rare things to the fair and then they lose to some common things. It doesn't make any sense.
    I haven't taken part on it yet, because my crops weren't ready when the fair happened and I don't want to take my animals in there. There is a bug that makes the animals not go into the inventory after the fair is over and they basically vanish from the game. I'm not taking the risk of losing any animals.
    I'm probably just going to take the regular normal quality stuff in there and see how it goes.
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    It does seem random. So far I’ve submitted excellent quality eggs, pies, and produce, I’ve submitted a llama & chicken with only a so so relationship. I’ve won 1st place once, 3rd place once, gotten a participation ribbon once, and had literally nothing happen a few times (as in was never notified who won anything).
  • MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member
    You have to give the mayor money. I won twice when I did this. Otherwise it's allways random. The quality of your product doesn't matter.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    Melisendre wrote: »
    You have to give the mayor money. I won twice when I did this. Otherwise it's allways random. The quality of your product doesn't matter.

So you can bribe the mayor? Interesting. ,though I would prefer to win in an honest way.
  • alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    I came third in the llama contest the other day- and there were only two entries. Hoping they fix this asap or it renders the festivals pointless.
  • MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »

So you can bribe the mayor? Interesting. ,though I would prefer to win in an honest way.

Me too, but it was frustrating always to loose so I started a test.
  • Felicia_QueensFelicia_Queens Posts: 69 Member
    If that's really the way the game is designed, that's extremely disappointing. Hopefully someone will mod it to be fairly judged, or EA will wake the hey up and fix it. My sims work hard on their produce, and I am tired of losing to mediocre crops and pies!
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    it seems to be completely random, an illusion of a competition. Bribing the mayor can work, as does inferniating the competition pie or eggs, etc. Don't think you can inferniate the competing animals though. Being able to use Morphiate on the competing animals would be amusing, EA please.
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I wonder if it would help to be good friends with the Mayor and maybe a few other people.
  • grevilliabluegrevilliablue Posts: 304 Member
    I've won two 1st prizes without bribing the Mayor or being a particularly close friend with her. It does seem to be a bit hit & miss though.
  • Garaya13Garaya13 Posts: 60 Member
    It's got to be random at least some of the time, because my sim just got 2nd place in an oversized crop contest despite being the only person to enter the contest but in other contests the results have made sense. I have gotten only a participation ribbon in multiple contests despite my entry being the highest quality/happiest animal as well though so it's kind of confusing to me.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    I don't think it's random, but I think it does depend on some sort of hidden calculation that has nothing to do with whatever other entries are at the fair, making it seem random.

I think I asked the mayor about it once, and there was something about the factors including rarity, happiness of the animal, and a few other things I don't remember. So I think if you have those factors high, regardless of what else is entered, that should be key to winning. Just ignore the other entries (at least in terms of figuring out your odds of winning.)
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member
    At least you're getting something. I've had Sims participate in three separate festivals and there's no announcement at all. The fair just fades away, one stall at a time. It's quite disconcerting, really. The mods I use are all updated/compatible, so I'm uncertain if something is blocking the game play. I may get brave enough to remove the Mods folder just to see what happens, but then some of my Sims will walk around next to naked and/or bald for lack of the cc clothing and hair. LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    At least you're getting something. I've had Sims participate in three separate festivals and there's no announcement at all. The fair just fades away, one stall at a time. It's quite disconcerting, really. The mods I use are all updated/compatible, so I'm uncertain if something is blocking the game play. I may get brave enough to remove the Mods folder just to see what happens, but then some of my Sims will walk around next to naked and/or bald for lack of the cc clothing and hair. LOL

This is what keeps happening to me, I enter the fair with excellent quality goods or well looked after animals and there's just no judging at all, the fair just ends at the end of the day and my animals/goods just go into my sims inventory.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Genie1221Genie1221 Posts: 223 Member
    I'm rather disappointed with the Finchwich Fair... I enter a perfect crop and the other two that were entered by other sims were of normal quality and I still only win 2nd place?
    I enter an Excellent pie, the other pie's entered are of lesser quality, because I do check and I only get an honorable mention?

The bribe the Mayor is just nuts that NPC's seem to be able to do this, turning it into a popularity contest rather than a quality of each submission. I think I am pretty much done trying to enter anything anymore and will simply check the two vendor stalls for interesting purchasable's and that's it.

This makes me sad.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I too have come in second or third to either inferior entries or no competition. When it’s inferior entries I just assume my competition bribed the mayor and if there’s nobody else running well, that’s just proof of how corrupt she is. 🤣😂
  • mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    I don't expect to win every time, but it does become annoying when there are only three or less entries and my sims still end up with participation ribbons or nothing at all. I wish the contest wasn't random, what would be the point of entering oversized crops or excellent quality items then. In one save my sims did manage to win twice. Once with a rainbow llama with the neck warmer and once with an oversized pumpkin (no bribes involved ). I haven't manage to win yet in my other save.
  • TammorsTammors Posts: 357 Member
    It looks like you do need the bribe. I just tested this at the garden fair. I had 3 sims from the same household enter different plants. One entered a glowfruit. One entered a death flower. One entered a cherry. The one who entered the cherry bribed the judge, and he won.

BTW, the one who entered the death flower has a strong relationship with the judge, and a romance with her too. His entry still lost to the cherry. Now I know how to win this thing, and my characters will stop sacrificing their best wool and eggs just to have them lose to average products of lower quality.

• TammorsTammors Posts: 357 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    it seems to be completely random, an illusion of a competition. Bribing the mayor can work, as does inferniating the competition pie or eggs, etc. Don't think you can inferniate the competing animals though. Being able to use Morphiate on the competing animals would be amusing, EA please.

You can destroy the competition's entries? That's kinda funny. I think I'll have to do that, just to see what happens.

• mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    I have participated twice and both times my sim's pumpkin won the first prize. If I remember right there were two participants each time.