Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cows and Llamas Need A Lot Of Baths

I've been playing with the new Cottage Living pack and it feels like cows and llamas need baths a little too frequently and they're pretty high maintenance about it. I think having the cow and llama filth timer set for a longer interval would be a little more realistic. Maybe once a week or every few days? The barns and chicken coops filth timers are ok, cleaning those once a day is realistic. I love the brushing and huggles.

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I wouldn't change it unless it's more than once a day. Farming should be as hard as real life farming.

Which reminds me nobody needs a bath more than once a day (Sims) unless they have raised a sweat or something, do they? And the things Sims do should make them dirty but not overly dirty more than once a day unless it's things that can really, really lower hygiene.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    You don't really bathe your large livestock often if at all in real life though.
    As for in-game, once a day bathing cows and llamas is excessive, I'm not saying it should be removed at all but I do think it should have a longer timer on it. Or, hygiene could be tied to the cleanliness of the barn which should be cleaned at least once a day and the timer is good on that one.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Catzilla wrote: »
    You don't really bathe your large livestock often if at all in real life though.
    As for in-game, once a day bathing cows and llamas is excessive, I'm not saying it should be removed at all but I do think it should have a longer timer on it. Or, hygiene could be tied to the cleanliness of the barn which should be cleaned at least once a day and the timer is good on that one.

I was told by someone who owned cows that udders need to be washed before milking and if they sit in their own mess in the barn they would need proper washing. I imagine llamas too, especially if you raise them for their fur, you need to keep it in good shape.
    Yes, but.

Let me go at it this way then, if livestock is going to have to be fully washed every day then the time it takes to clean the livestock and clean the barn takes too long and needs to be shortened.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    I've been playing with the new Cottage Living pack and it feels like cows and llamas need baths a little too frequently and they're pretty high maintenance about it. I think having the cow and llama filth timer set for a longer interval would be a little more realistic. Maybe once a week or every few days? The barns and chicken coops filth timers are ok, cleaning those once a day is realistic. I love the brushing and huggles.

I'm wondering if the Llamas and Cows are this way so that we don't miss having hogs in the game? LOL Both of my seventh great-grandfathers raised hogs, as well. Bacon, bacon, bacon …

I have those Sims designated for this chore get up very early. In fact, in both of my two families it's the girls who do this. Family One, the girls are still Child Sims, whereas the girls in Family Two, are Teens. The rest of the family members work on the crops. Some before school, too. No, the girls aren't in school. I'm playing in the 18th century and girls didn't go to school, unless it was Dame School, which taught them how to run households, etc. (And you think you've got it hard today. Let me tell you …) ;)

But, yeah, I have to admit to being surprised at how often the animals get dirty. And, it's not the chickens. Both the Cows and the Llamas are slobs. That has to be it. How else is it possible to be properly cleaned and to sleep in a clean shed just to come out all dirty in the morning, hm? And the Llamas, all of them so far, have very bad attitudes. LOL I about died when I witnessed for the first time the Llama hurling a loogy right at my Sim!

That was just wrong:
    xTz14HW.jpg
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    They did make taking care of multiple animals challenging, I'm using littlemssam's mods that lowers their needs decay a bit but I'm pretty sure I still need to clean them every day.

I find taking care of chickens more difficult, mostly because they are so many and tend to wander around so it's easy to miss one. I do like that they wander around though.
    edited August 2021

I'm wondering if the Llamas and Cows are this way so that we don't miss having hogs in the game? LOL Both of my seventh great-grandfathers raised hogs, as well. Bacon, bacon, bacon …

I have those Sims designated for this chore get up very early. In fact, in both of my two families it's the girls who do this. Family One, the girls are still Child Sims, whereas the girls in Family Two, are Teens. The rest of the family members work on the crops. Some before school, too. No, the girls aren't in school. I'm playing in the 18th century and girls didn't go to school, unless it was Dame School, which taught them how to run households, etc. (And you think you've got it hard today. Let me tell you …) ;)

But, yeah, I have to admit to being surprised at how often the animals get dirty. And, it's not the chickens. Both the Cows and the Llamas are slobs. That has to be it. How else is it possible to be properly cleaned and to sleep in a clean shed just to come out all dirty in the morning, hm? And the Llamas, all of them so far, have very bad attitudes. LOL I about died when I witnessed for the first time the Llama hurling a loogy right at my Sim!

That was just wrong:

I have a new brand new save with a new family, husband and wife with new baby. The Sim Wife works and Sim Hubby takes care of the farm and crops part. I had to age the baby up to toddler and then child because Sim dad didn't even have enough time to take care of the baby/toddler let alone get to know her. It will be a little better as soon as the couple has a herd of kids to help with the farm, if they get the time to actually, ya know, make babies. He and his wife don't even have time to talk to each other. I hardly get to play the wife or the child's POV.

Yes, they get so dirty in a clean barn so quickly. The slob trait would explain a lot. lol
    Ooh, I think I've been lucky, my llama is pretty good so far. *knock on wood* The chickens have been pretty good to play with, no issues with their mechanics. No, wait, that's not strictly accurate, sometimes they'll sit there and stubbornly starve. For no reason. I'm not sure if that's a bug or a feature. I've never met a chicken that wasn't really eager for feeding time. lol I did have to turn off fox attacks while I'm learning how to play the new material.

Your temeramental llama drama is a hoot. lolol
    logion wrote: »
    They did make taking care of multiple animals challenging, I'm using littlemssam's mods that lowers their needs decay a bit but I'm pretty sure I still need to clean them every day.

I find taking care of chickens more difficult, mostly because they are so many and tend to wander around so it's easy to miss one. I do like that they wander around though.

I started with chickens, 3 hens and 1 rooster, and they're ok to work with. I did have to turn off the foxes while I'm learning though, that was too much. When I added the cow and llama the level of maintenance really shot up. Their care takes longer and their hygiene issue is kind of weird.

If you make a chicken yard (an enclosure around the coop and some space to roam) for them it might be easier to keep track of them.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Not when a day is one year in a life of a Sim. A week is several years, including a season past, which is odd but still a week would be several years to a Sim. If Sims age daily one year then it is only once a year by that counting.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.