Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there a separate Sims team just to make Kits?

ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
Is there a specific team of devs who work only on Kits or do they just take pieces and concepts that didn’t make it into other packs and put them together to make a Kit?

If there isn’t a separate Kit team, I think there should be. I wanna see many, many more Kits and I’d love for them to start releasing on a regular basis, maybe once/month.
Post edited by EA_Lanna on

Comments

• kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Yes I agree I want more kits pls lol
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I had assumed since they said kits would not interfere with any new content. Plus it seems their stated style to have different groups working on different DLC pieces at a time. However, I do not remember this actually being confirmed.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I would love more gameplay kits like Bust the Dust.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,767 Member
    I doubt it'd be 'worth it' in the eyes of a big company, to have a separate team working on something that will only cost about $5 each approx. I've seen a lot of people complain about the price of the kits as well, so I don't imagine it being a case of 'it's cheaper so they'd sell more and make up for it' necessarily. They'd probably rather prioritise work on the packs that would bring in the most money, like GPs or EPs. I'm wondering that too, if these kits some from discarded larger pack ideas sometimes.

I do think that, if EA bought out kits more frequently, there'd be a fair bit of fandom 'backlash' for pushing the smaller Kits too much: I can imagine people being like 'I'm not paying $5 for this when I can download CC for free!', or 'we didn't ask for this, we want proper expansion packs!' etc etc.

I reckon it'd be nice to have some more kits. Maybe like once every two months or something would work, not too infrequent but not too frequent either. I think they're good for cool little ideas that wouldn't necessarily warrant the volume of a Stuff Pack, and since I can't use CC it's nice to have little thematic packs of stuff. I only own Throwback Fit though, and it was alright, but not brilliant. Not sure what kind of kits I'd like to see in the future; most things I'd like to see are more fitting for a larger pack.
    they/them or she/her
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Rouensims wrote: »
    I would love more gameplay kits like Bust the Dust.

I have Bust the Dust and the one with country kitchen stuff. It would be nice to have more stuff to chose from.

I didn’t buy the Vintage Stuff Stuff Pack and I have little need for the Dream Home Decorator. Think I know now what kind of content I will have fun with and what to skip.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Not sure but I think simgurusalo was hired mainly to work on kits
  • HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 322 Member
    It’s wild that they introduced a whole system of microtransactions for the game, and are barely using it. If they want me to give them $5-$10 a month, they need to actually release stuff. The only explanation I can think of would be that the initial ones didn’t perform as well as they hoped so they diverted resources elsewhere? Maybe the community actually voted with their money for no kits or they didn’t have adequate market research for what would be popular kit content.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited August 2021
    HavenRose wrote: »
    It’s wild that they introduced a whole system of microtransactions for the game, and are barely using it. If they want me to give them $5-$10 a month, they need to actually release stuff. The only explanation I can think of would be that the initial ones didn’t perform as well as they hoped so they diverted resources elsewhere? Maybe the community actually voted with their money for no kits or they didn’t have adequate market research for what would be popular kit content.

Now that is an interesting perspective. They did take another swing at it with the Courtyard Oasis Kit so I do wonder how popular the Kits have been. I am surprised we don’t have more.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    HavenRose wrote: »

Now that is an interesting perspective. They did take another swing at it with the Courtyard Oasis Kit so I do wonder how popular the Kits have been. I am surprised we don’t have more.

I'm surprised as well. If they had a dedicated team, they'd be putting out regular content a la the Sims 3 store. They may have pulled some people from other teams to try it out, or perhaps they're comprised of stuff that was designed, but ultimately rejected, for other packs. Or both.
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    If it takes roughly 6 months just to make a SP it is possible that it takes 2-3months to make a Kit depending on what it adds. It's not like The Sims 3 Store where from what I heard most sets were made by several different teams and were outsourced. I think at best we may see a Kit inbetween packs but not monthly.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    VentusMatt wrote: »
    If it takes roughly 6 months just to make a SP it is possible that it takes 2-3months to make a Kit depending on what it adds. It's not like The Sims 3 Store where from what I heard most sets were made by several different teams and were outsourced. I think at best we may see a Kit inbetween packs but not monthly.

The store team was definitely its own team, and it put out content every other week. The gurus were also on the forums so they knew what people wanted. That's probably why there were so many farm sets. The reason they put out so much content was because it was hugely profitable. It was also quite varied. Worlds and venues were on a much slower timeline, but then things like CAS and B/B seemed to rotate.

If the kits were hugely popular, you'd think that the team would be dedicating more resources to them. However, if they had a meh reception, it would explain why they're not coming out regularly. I think Sims 3 in general had a much larger team, though. EPs were released every 3-4 months, and they were huge.
  • MichelleWMichelleW Posts: 665 Member
    If I were to guess I would say they have teams for cas, build, buy, worlds, game play etc. While certain teams are not working on various elements of the larger packs they work on kits. I would think that certain elements take longer than others.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I seriously doubt there is a separate team for kits. I'm convinced kits are left over content that could have been worked into a previous pack and or idea EP etc. Or projects left on the floor that they worked on but couldn't fit into DLC due to budget.

Everyone has to be working while one team is working on something. And much stuff is sourced out more than people know. So, teams may work on things that have nothing to do with the current DLC being built because everyone has to be doing something while others finish up a pack. Kits are a result of that in my opinion.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I also like the kit concept as something that is very much optional. I evaluate each pack individually.

I could see backlash as someone else mentioned about "leaving stuff out" of bigger packs but personally I like them. I would also like more frequent releases and the ability to choose. I do think they have been mostly pulling ideas from "the cutting room floor" but I am glad that those concepts made it in.

I just have a couple but I'm happy with the ones that I got. The Moroccan kit for example is really gorgeous and I utilized it in some fancy ways. I have not built a whole Moroccan themed place but I have spliced some details from the kit in a way that is beautiful.

I also agree that they could do more with this. There are many ways to get content for the game. If someone really wants to save money, they can probably wait, pick up the items on sale and not necessarily pay more to add that content. There are times that I agree with criticism and times when I think that critics should not dictate everything.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Wait, people actively enjoy kits ? Wow okay.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    happyopi wrote: »

Absolutely, for me, if it's got something I'm interested in or have been wanting. It's the cost of a cup of coffee at Starbucks, which is gone in a few hours/ At least kits I get enjoyment from for the entirety of Sims 4, so yeah, I enjoy them.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Why is this thread in the Sims Franchise Discussion? Shouldn't this be in the Sims 4 section?

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited August 2021
    Why is this thread in the Sims Franchise Discussion? Shouldn't this be in the Sims 4 section?

That’s exactly where I put it, in the Sims 4 section where in my opinion it belongs. A mod moved it to the Franchise section and I have no idea why.

The thread is about Sims 4 Kits. I’m confused.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited August 2021
    happyopi wrote: »

The community seemed to be critical about them, that doesn't tell us how much they have sold though... I don't see them often on the gallery (apart from maybe the throwback fit kit) if that's any indication.

They did have a survey that could show up on the game menu where you could give feedback for the kits, even if you hadn't bought them so maybe they are still evaluating if kits are a good idea and don't have any dedicated teams for them yet.