Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

shops in Midnight Hollow are never manned by an employee/never open?

Am I doing it wrong? In Midnight Hollow, all the stores that aren't rabbitholes, don't seem to be somewhere my Sim can actually shop because there's never anyone working the register. It gives my Sim the option of working the register or hiring someone even though my Sim doesn't own the place, and I go to the bookstore and can't buy any books, only entire bookcases.

Need some insight on this if anyone knows?
Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg

Comments

• MichelleWMichelleW Posts: 665 Member
    I have found that if no one owns the retail locations they never open.
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    MichelleW wrote: »

how do you play in MH, then, if you don't want to buy or own all the venues? I didn't see regular rabbithole ones that I could just go shopping at like in Bridgeport. Does this happen even if you don't have the Ambitions pack installed? I was wondering if they'd operate automatically if I uninstalled Ambitions.

I saw playthroughs and such on Midnight Hollow before buying, and none of them mentioned that the shops in town are dead zones unless you make your Sim buy and operate every last one of them. Is this really how it's supposed to be?

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    MichelleW wrote: »

how do you play in MH, then, if you don't want to buy or own all the venues? I didn't see regular rabbithole ones that I could just go shopping at like in Bridgeport. Does this happen even if you don't have the Ambitions pack installed? I was wondering if they'd operate automatically if I uninstalled Ambitions.

I saw playthroughs and such on Midnight Hollow before buying, and none of them mentioned that the shops in town are dead zones unless you make your Sim buy and operate every last one of them. Is this really how it's supposed to be?

I use NRaas register, and it has been awhile since I've played with the Savvy Seller, but I used to make stores that functioned. People would buy items off the rugs and shelves. What I don't remember is which register I used as most of my stores would have more than one shop. I probably had either an elixir or a consignment register in there. With as many savvy seller registers there are in each commercial building by default, it would be an absolute mess if every one of them were manned. I wonder if you could assign someone to work at them as a non-owner.
    edited July 2021
    So what I'm gleaning from this is, Midnight Hollow isn't a world where your sim can just go to the bookstore and be a patron. This is so disappointing; I have Ambitions but I don't want to spend my time in Midnight Hollow being a shopkeeper. So this is a world without the usual rabbithole shops, where I can't go shopping for things like books, groceries, or anything really, unless I do something complicated to make the shops work?

I was hoping the "work it yourself" thing was an option, not a necessity for everything. Is there a way to make the shops operate without my having to do it in each case, like in other worlds in Sims 3 and Sims 4, with NPCs spawning and being the bartenders and shopkeepers?

In answer to your question, I have seen the option when I clicked on the register, to hire someone. So that means I have to personally have my Sim hire and pay for, any and all venues to make them work so he can just go patronize them? Ugh.

This was never mentioned in any of the Midnight Hollow playthroughs I had seen and I wish it had been.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    I have barely touched Savvy Seller shops or even shopping, but I wonder if hiring someone to work a register is similar to how it works to hire a chef with the Business As Usual Bistro oven. In that case, if you don't own the bistro, you're not paying the chef - it's more like you're assigning one.

I don't know if there's any way for sims to buy a book off the bookshelves, as opposed to the entire bookcase. Personally, I'd just put in a books register (from WA), from which they can buy anything they would in a rabbithole bookstore.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    Thanks, @suzses ! I'll try that and see how it goes. And what's (WA) stand for so I can go get that books register?

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    @Nushnushganay WA = World Adventures expansion pack.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • readypostreadypost Posts: 60 Member
    There are rabbithole shops in MH but they are spread out . The unmanned shops I believe you are talking about are labeled as hangouts in the game. It takes a bit of time but you can edit those lots to whatever you want in your game; The lot called "Grave Grocer" I change to elixir store and swap out the register for the elixir store one and delete the savy seller rugs and shelves along with the items on them and recreate an elixir store with the items from the Supernatural pack. Also the door in that shop needs to be swapped out for a regular door.Like I mentioned its time consuming but I like customizing worlds to what I need so I enjoy MH . Theres also a lot named simply "For Rent" that I change to a "rebel hangout" and recreate the rebel hangout from University. Just dont forget to delete all the savy seller items and swap out the shop doors for regular ones. For me, MH has the most unique sims to be found in any store world . Happy Simming @Nushnushganay