Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Smooth Patch?

2...Next

Comments

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    Turjan wrote: »
    I changed the number to 1000 from the default 500, and that seemed to help, at least in the case of my somewhat iffy game. I haven't experienced any crashes yet.
    Karritz wrote: »
    I can't see the logic why it occasionally decides I don't have to wait for ever for the shut down to end.

My "heavy" games, those that run already with a very high RAM load, tend to take forever to shut down after the savegame is finished. I guess the game shuffles some stuff around in order to be able to save a few other system files. "Young" and relatively light saves shut down quickly. I get a practically instant shutdown if the game is shortly before crashing. I guess it runs out of memory after it is done with the savegame and before it can alter the other files it usually changes during each shutdown. At least that's how it would make sense to me.

Maybe my games are about to crash then because any particular save seems to either take its time or just shut down. I can get a game to load and then do nothing with it (often) and then shut it down and it might take ages to shut down or it might just shut immediately.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Ah, thanks everyone, it's a bit comforting to know it isn't just me it happens to.
    @Pary I'm not sure what things you've tried already but my game did that for months. I tried every solution I could find online and just gave up after awhile. I ended up making a back up then deleting the missingdeps.idx file in the DCCache folder as it was a recommended solution to a different issue I was having with the game infinitely loading in buydebug. But then right after that I closed my game and the slow to go away black screen on exit problem stopped. Hasn't been back. So, kinda weird as it was never a recommended solution to the problem but if you've tried everything else...maybe?

Interesting.. no I haven't tried that, but I will now, thank you!

Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    I've tested this mod briefly. Waiting for the patterns to load doesn't really bother me anymore but it's visibly faster now. When I'm decorating/cluttering a house I'm usually using the miscellaneous decor tab a lot. With this mod it loaded everything almost instantly. One thing I noticed was the increased speed rotation of the thumbnail of an object, I can't remember it ever spinning so fast. I was playing basically a new save so I didn't see any lag out of the ordinary and the game shut down in 2 seconds. When I try it on my legacy save however I'm sure it will be a different story.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    It is actually quality of life patch, I tend to enter cas often to save my sims to library (to take their portrait picture) and cycling between each of my sims cas menu took only 2 seconds as opposed to 10-15 seconds per sims.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    I'm on the fence about trying it now, as the only issues I'm having with a 2014 Dell laptop running sims3 with 8 packs installed and running at the same time plus a lot of store content, is some objects show up as blank forms, their patterns/textures taking a few seconds to fill in. If that means my cpu is about at its limit, I don't want to push my luck.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
    edited July 2021
    I'm on the fence about trying it now, as the only issues I'm having with a 2014 Dell laptop running sims3 with 8 packs installed and running at the same time plus a lot of store content, is some objects show up as blank forms, their patterns/textures taking a few seconds to fill in. If that means my cpu is about at its limit, I don't want to push my luck.

I think it's safe to say that cpu wasnt the problem here since those are the symptom of low gpu vram.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    edited July 2021
    I’ve not been able to get this mod to work as it makes my game throw a runtime error on start up. I’ve had much help but have given up for now. Edit: Thanks to puzzlezaddict it’s working now!

Anyway, @Pary I have had the same problem for 2 reasons. When I block the ‘Featured Items’ folder from loading all those thumbnails I get that long shutdown time. Turning off my internet solves it.

Edit for clarification: The two things that cause it for me are the featured items folder and the internet being on, even though I’m on 1.67 disc version.
    Post edited by ZeeGee on
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2021
    A colleague and I investigated those overly long shutdown times with a Process Monitor app several years ago, and indeed they are, or were at the time, caused by a bazillion failed attempts to update FeaturedItems even when we have that folder locked down or replaced with a text file by the exact same name. I've always just accepted the wait, minimized the all black window and done something else when it happens and (for me) it's usually when I've had a very short session and quit the game without even saving.

The type of install (disc, Origin, Steam) never seemed to matter.

Much time has passed since those tests, I think they were back in 2017 or something, and there could very well be one or more additional factors contributing by now hence players reporting different kinds of results after trying different things.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    A colleague and I investigated those overly long shutdown times with a Process Monitor app several years ago, and indeed they are, or were at the time, caused by a bazillion failed attempts to update FeaturedItems even when we have that folder locked down or replaced with a text file by the exact same name. I've always just accepted the wait, minimized the all black window and done something else when it happens and (for me) it's usually when I've had a very short session and quit the game without even saving.

The type of install (disc, Origin, steam) never seemed to matter.

Much time has passed since those tests, I think they were back in 2017 or something, and there could very well be one or more additional factors contributing by now hence players reporting different kinds of results after trying different things.

What fixed it for me was reverting the FeaturedItems back and then blocking Sims 3 outgoing traffic with my firewall -- no thumbnails, no shutdown delay, and no EA phoning home. I use the disk version, though. Turning off the internet would probably be the best option for Origin.
  • McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    is there a way to tell if it's running? i have steam version
    i put the stuff in /bin like it said, run the game as normal, but theres no notification or anything to suggest if its running or not. how do i tell? :P
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
    McTosh wrote: »
    i put the stuff in /bin like it said, run the game as normal, but theres no notification or anything to suggest if its running or not. how do i tell? :P

The umm.. Smoothness of text slideshow and menu pop up. you won't notice it if you capped your frame rate to 30 or using other modification that cap fps to 30 like 3booter.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • RsandaRsanda Posts: 257 Member

Make the debug variable 1 to see a pop up window telling you if the patch works correctly or not while launching the game.

Or you can also just check build/buy object preview spinning speed when you click on an object. It is noticeably faster compared to non-patched game.
    Not a native English speaker. Sorry for any mistakes
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    Or just fire up CAS and randomly adjust the bodysliders, you should definitely see how smoothly sims change their body shapes with the patch.
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • k_reeser1k_reeser1 Posts: 153 Member
    this came out yesterday and it works great i'll include a link if anyone's interested.
    https://lazyduchess.tumblr.com/post/657731839670272000/the-sims-3-smooth-patch-10
    untitled.png

• TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    edited August 2021
    Look a few topics down here.
  • McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    Rsanda wrote: »

Make the debug variable 1 to see a pop up window telling you if the patch works correctly or not while launching the game.

Or you can also just check build/buy object preview spinning speed when you click on an object. It is noticeably faster compared to non-patched game.

ah debug variable nice i'll see in a min

sims 3 has always run relatively smooth for me anyway except CAS so i can't really tell by eye. trying to do it by feel can lead to confirmation bias is all (like a placebo effect)

debug variable will confirm tho so thanks :)
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    Gonna be honest, I haven't read completely through this thread but to add my two measly cents, this mod does work amazingly for me. Buy and build mode catalogue items load a lot faster and the game feels smoother! I play on an MSI gaming laptop and I haven't noticed much of a difference except for slightly warmer temps. But there's a built in fan that I can turn on which takes care of that issue quite nicely. I highly recommend the mod o:)
  • wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    I almost passed out when I installed this and Cas loaded in 2 seconds. This game has never been this fast.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • DannyJames20DannyJames20 Posts: 2 New Member
    I am using it and wow what a difference! Noticeable espeically in CAS and switching between build/buy modes i also have lots of mods!
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Now EA/Maxis no longer has the excuse that they won't add CASt to TS5 because it will take to long to load all the patterns and lag the game!!!

• HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    Downloaded the patch from watching youtuber MaryMew's overview of it and now my game loads faster than it has in the past!
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    My laptop is already pretty toasty (could toast grilled cheese on it) so I'm gonna pass on this one till I get my gaming desktop (whenever the heck that is).
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I tried this patch because I was curious. I've never had a lot of lag in TS3 because I've always had a decent graphics card and more than enough RAM. Plus I do have the "fixed worlds" installed and NRAAS mods.

And I have to say, it's pretty incredible! Especially when CASt'ing. I never really had lag while recoloring stuff, but it would take a few seconds to load all of the patterns in each category, with this patch it's literally loaded in seconds! You still have to scroll down to the bottom of the pattern category until it's fully loaded but mine is probably worse because I have almost 4000 patterns installed.

My load times were also cut down, even starting a new game in a world I haven't played in, it was probably 1/2 the load time to what it normally would be.

And actual gameplay, was smooth like butter! Seriously, TS4 actually has a little more hesitation than TS3 does with this patch.

Overall, I'm super happy with it!
  • SunnyyesjamsSunnyyesjams Posts: 541 Member
    It is pretty amazeballs. I can feel the difference even on my bloated 80 weeks save.
    kwdT9wX.gif
  • Lexers615Lexers615 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I tried it on two different PC using all EP's and SP's. The first one (much older and less performant) takes twice as much time to launch. Actually, it seems to hang a while launching Origin. If Origin is already on, there's only a slight difference. Once in however the game runs even smother than when I launch it with the base game alone.

The patch makes the game run top notch on the second computer.
    My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    Academic Trait: Adventurous
    Social Group Trait (Should I ever become "Nerd" enough): Computer Whiz
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." Cpt. Edward A. Murphy Jr, USAF
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg