Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The importance of playtesting/beta testing

drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
edited July 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Let me start with as much as I might dislike most Game Changers this isn't a post against them nor is it pointing out what is wrong with some of them. When a new pack comes out the sims team grants our Game Changers early access to the new pack coming out. It's not their fault when bugs and problems happen in our game.

The problem stems from a lack of proper playtesting/beta testing. What I mean by this is that When a Game Chasanger gets Early Access all they get is the new pack which may or may not be super buggy on its own. They also use the base game with that pack. This means issues with our pets, with kids running around in their sleepwear etc that happen are because other packs were not tested alongside the base game and new pack. Again it's not The Game Changers Fault.

Hopefully one day EA will properly playtest/beta test games in the future.
Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
Post edited by EA_Lanna on

Comments

• logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    Well, the game changers could at least report the bugs that they are encountering to Answer HQ or select "me too"... They are clearly seeing these bugs in their videos but I have never seen them posting on Answer HQ.
  • HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 322 Member
    I agree. The Game Changers exist to market the products they’re sent early - it’s the responsibility of paid EA employees to make sure the game functions. EA can call these people “Game Changers” all they want, but it’s basically the same as makeup companies having a PR list of influencers. I don’t even think it’s the GC’s responsibility to post to Answers HQ - everything I’ve seen about that suggests that EA is farming out the running of that to unpaid volunteers, who also shouldn’t be responsible for managing big reports for a mega corporation’s product.
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited July 2021
    Not sure if Origin even supports letting players at beta games. I only ever launch it for a small handful of games.

There are certainly a goodly number of developers on Steam who will let players play beta versions of patches, expansions etc. I realise this can still be construed as getting players to do a company's testing for free, but there is something to be said for high number of testers that beta programmes like these can attract in finding problems. They could even release patches/DLC for beta testing where mods are blocked so there is no contamination of test results.

Even running a beta programme for the last patch for only a couple of days would have caught the bugs that required a hasty hot fix and probably a lot of others as well.

I have been away for the game awhile so I wasn't around with the creation of the Gamechanger thing. I tried to find out what that was all about and it all seemed a bit confusing as to what it was for that I am now ignoring it.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison