Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are you "cottage living" outside HOB?

I adore Hensford and have sims doing the cottage living and simple life there but I have other Gardner sims who I call my desert dwellers and would love to live the same way but for me they don't fit the.... personality or aesthetic...of Hensford

Has anyone set up a "ranch" style situation with success? Or in other worlds in general such as Willow Creek or for that matter making Magnolia Promenade a farming location?

I simply can't fit everyone in Hensford or they don't fit in Hensford (nor the simple living challenge as they aren't simple life kinda sims)

Comments

• Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I’ve been in windenburg with my main family. Set up a nice farm on the 64x64 lot on the island. Large garden with oversized crops as well, all farm animal types and still had room for a pond and small pool lol. It all seems to run and work smoothly.
  • SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,768 Member
    I feel like Brindleton Bay would be a nice place for a farm/cottage, been considering building one there.
    they/them or she/her
  • wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    @SnowBnuuy I think Brindleton would be a super cool world for it. I think the larger lots, at least for me, will be easier to build on now without seeming so daunting. The farming items, cows and coups take a nice chunk of land.

@Akl500P awesome, love Windenberg as well and glad it's running smoothly in other worlds!
  • GwastenMicaGwastenMica Posts: 76 Member
    I am currently setting up Brindleton Bay for farms as well. I also thought that the large lot in Del Sol Valley would be an interesting location for a farm - just to mess with the neighbors. I want to put some llamas and chickens in Selvadorada, and chickens in Sulani.
    @GwastenMica yes! Selvadorea would be perfect too and I love the idea of chickens on Sulani. The lot in Del Sol 😂 I actually love that idea... it's very SoCal to have that kind of random lot
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I am planning to have a sim start a small urban farm with a chicken coop and a garden on the Daisy Hovel lot in the Foundry Cove neighborhood of Willow Creek. It’s the one to the right of the mystical tree next door to the BFF household. That lot seems perfect for that set up.
    @Pamtastic72 oooo! I totally didn't think of that lot! Now that you mention that tree I'm suddenly curious about Glimmerbrook possibilities. Love the urban farm idea at Willow creek
    wahini2024 wrote: »
    @Pamtastic72 oooo! I totally didn't think of that lot! Now that you mention that tree I'm suddenly curious about Glimmerbrook possibilities. Love the urban farm idea at Willow creek

Oh, I plan to add at least one farm to Glimmerbrook too! Also, Windenburg as others have said, and Brindleton. Some will be specialized like in Oasis Springs I want to have a vineyard and a llama ranch. This pack combined with Seasons and the different climates in doing worlds opens up tons of gameplay possibilities!
  • FraTacFraTac Posts: 854 Member
    edited July 2021
    Not yet, but Windenburg, Brindleton Bay and Sulani (see the beautiful screenshot by @FurAndYarn ) are perfect for farms! Can't wait to try them out.
    xWGF2yb.png
    Simmin' since 2000
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,627 Member
    Honestly very tempted to raise chickens in a penthouse in San Myshuno just because it's possible! (Bees are commonly raised on high rooftops where I live, at least.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • TARDISgradeTARDISgrade Posts: 193 Member
    I love HoB, but before CL was even announced I had already decided I wanted to create "farming/cottage life"- related locations. I originally used Willow Creek and Newcrest for that purpose (after bulldozing all existing lots), then parts of Brindletown Bay and Windenburg (in particular Crumbling Island and the countryside).

Crumbling Island is my favourite location, because after deleting all existing lots I could really personalise it and turn it into a secluded, gardening paradise for my family as there are no other inhabitants on it. The only residential lot is my family's small cottage, the other lots are marked as "generic" and feature orchards or ruins (including a shipwreck site).

51338866306_883cd661be.jpgcrumbling island by le TARDISgrade, on Flickr

51339869435_312bac2ca6_w.jpgcottage by le TARDISgrade, on Flickr

51338866191_b21e46c21f_w.jpgshipwreck by le TARDISgrade, on Flickr

The public orchard (including every pre-CL plant):

51326834538_fe953fe0c1_w.jpgorchard by le TARDISgrade, on Flickr

One of the ruins sites:

51325940507_26a15312e3.jpgRuins by le TARDISgrade, on Flickr

There is a wishing well in this lot, and the family goes there to make offerings, in hope of receiving a blessing. I like the idea of this family living in communion with nature away from other people and worshipping the old spirits and fertility deities... in a chill, genuine way.

51327373704_d152e01e50.jpgaltar by le TARDISgrade, on Flickr

51327373689_04b5899a9a_w.jpgruins / altar by le TARDISgrade, on Flickr

51339084898_f1ef21efee_w.jpgHillfort by le TARDISgrade, on Flickr

I'm super-reluctant to make them move to HoB because the uninhabited island is so special for them. And the close-knitted, gossipy community in HoB would be overwhelming for them, they like being on their own.

So I created other Sims to play in HoB.

Feel free to download content from My Gallery
    edited July 2021
    Honestly very tempted to raise chickens in a penthouse in San Myshuno just because it's possible! (Bees are commonly raised on high rooftops where I live, at least.)

There are people who raise pigeons on rooftops in cities so why not chickens? I mean it’s the sims, you can do what you want! 😀
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I have a household in Windenburg that was already living like this at Rustic Residence which I renovated long ago to be a two-story home with nice finishes. I have gone back to playing them but I need the gardening bugs to be fixed since Lucas Munch lives as a farmer with numerous perfect plants, fruit trees, flowers and a greenhouse. I added the simple living trait which makes a lot of sense and an EL beehive. Regular gardening really needs to be repaired in order to accurately play out the challenge, living off of the produce and selling the extra.

I know some people might have thought it was easy to make money gardening but the gameplay needs to work. When it comes to ease or difficulty, I think that ideally players can decide how much they want. For example, I am not looking for an easy game but if I have a highly-skilled gardener running a successful farm and I want to keep it going, I should be able to do that. Anyway, I know a lot of people complained about gardening. I hadn't gotten around to this household but yes, it is unplayable unless they repair regular gardening and find a way to correct the damage from plants turning into dirtpiles and not harvesting. I'd label it an unplayable bug especially with the new pack.

Yes, I'm excited for the new vegetables but fix the old ones as well. As mentioned, the simple living lot challenge does not really work when gardening is broken if you want to make any recipes including older ones and if you want to live mainly from what your household grows.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
    @FurAndYarn gasp! Luuurve 😍😍 I can't believe Sulani didn't cross my mind until I made this thread. Love the lot!

@Pamtastic72 I'm starting with desert oasis. My families there are the best suited to it and I love Spanish colonial lots... all the possibilities though! Glimmerbrook would be 😍 gorgeous!

@TARDISgrade you've convinced me to bulldoze that island lol I love that tiny community feel you built

@luthienrising I have 20 households in Myshuno. I had no idea you could do that, I need to try this! I have one Gardner in the city who would dig it I think 😉
    @ChampandGirlie I oddly don't have the veggies issues thankfully. Still, like you I enjoy a harder game and my gardening sims and floral sims could use a little challenge. I'm trying to personalize the simple living to sims I feel it fits. Some of my sims don't feel "simple" and I see them on the go while others tend to fill time painting and prefer small groups. And yet not all look as if they belong in HOB so all of these insights and ideas are incredibly helpful before I just bulldoze at random
    @TARDISgrade you've convinced me to bulldoze that island lol I love that tiny community feel you built

You can also bulldoze the Bluffs. You can't change the lot type, but other than that you can personalise it as any other lot.

Also, the big lot on the promontory is fantastic! I have another save where I've placed a Celtic settlement there (as a residential lot). My family living there have 40 hens and 7 cows as well as an orchard, and there's still plenty of space to add more sheds - it's just they can't keep up with more animals. :D

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,935 Member
    i have nishidakes gardening in mt.k and I will probably give them some bird and/or bunny companions

and i also have family i wish to give some fox friends in mt.k

and yeah probably someone in sulani would like some chicken friends

and i might use some planters and llamas in selvadorada but I'll have to see how these things work on public lots first

also brindleton bay and windenburg surely suit the purpose as well

I'm not very interested in having too many farms per world myself cause its not my main playstyle but idk you could basically have farm anywhere

strangerville might be fun one too it kinda has that western vibe
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 322 Member
    Yes! I just got the pack yesterday and am starting the next round of a rotation, so I’m still working out logistics and figuring out the gameplay. My goal is to let different families specialize in different crops/items, so that way there’s a constant supply of stuff available that they can “barter” with each other for instead of relying on the limited selection from grocery delivery. They all won’t have to become full time farmers for that to happen, either. I love the idea of putting everyone on simple living lots just for the extra challenge, but with rotational play and seasons it’s a bit of a pain. I’m also ok with putting my apartment dwellers on simple living lots - they’ll just be paying a premium for groceries or living on takeout, which feels very realistic. I was already starting to work toward this with flowers for flower arrangements and other miscellaneous craftables.

That said, I’ll probably still make a couple of main farm families to take on the bulk of the work gardening, raising animals, and canning. The possibilities for developing an internal economy are very interesting to me. I also kind of love that groceries are so expensive, since once your sim hits a certain point making money is the game is so easy
    @TARDISgrade a Celtic lot!? That is so, so cool. I have some Celtic heritage from ages ago and that sounds so fun! I had no idea about the bluffs... looks like one world in my game needs a little reno 😉
    ...or a lot! Thank you for such wonderful ideas, wow 😍
    @HavenRose see, this is why I asked... because everyone has had such cool and cute ideas. I am a rotational player and the bartering system would be amazing for some of my sims. I have anywhere from a female president sim who's erratic and loveable all the way to a loner florist who's a bit mean (idk why) and so many personalities in between that I feel like this expansion filled in areas where I can create even more social or communal interactions...I had not thought of bartering. How. Fun!
    @Simmingal that's true, I have no idea how lamas would work on public lots but they would be perfect in Salvedorea. Ooh, how cute! Farming in Mt. K! I have no Gardners there actually, I try to have them in each world but I forgot one there 🤭 happy gaming!
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,810 Member
    edited July 2021
    Yes. I'm playing in Windenberg and quite enjoying it for the first time. I found HOB a bit overcast so I'll be traveling for all the world specific features.

I moved Cordelia's Cottage to Windenberg.

xG7KmnS.png

c1vwb31.png
    @TARDISgrade a Celtic lot!? That is so, so cool. I have some Celtic heritage from ages ago and that sounds so fun! I had no idea about the bluffs... looks like one world in my game needs a little reno 😉
    ...or a lot! Thank you for such wonderful ideas, wow 😍

You can look in the gallery for a downloadable lot called "Celtic round 2" by a Simmer called Sassy_Sk123. It's a nice ringfort with three round huts inside - one is designed as the main living area, one as the kitchen and one as a toilet.

I like it better than a similar one I had made myself, I only made a few modifications to it. For example I placed a wooden toilet and wooden bathtub (hidden object cheat) to make the necessary anachronisms less conspicuous and placed a firepit in the centre of the main building and a cauldron in the "kitchen". If you don't want to use a modern toilet at all, there's also the option of using the special bush found in BB. :D

If you place it in the big lot on Crumbling Island, it leaves a lot of space in the back and side for sheds and coops, plus there's lots of space for harvestable plants.

• ghamrick75ghamrick75 Posts: 134 Member

Oh, I plan to add at least one farm to Glimmerbrook too! Also, Windenburg as others have said, and Brindleton. Some will be specialized like in Oasis Springs I want to have a vineyard and a llama ranch. This pack combined with Seasons and the different climates in doing worlds opens up tons of gameplay possibilities!

I am curious how the vineyard idea you have will be set up. Like what items will you be planting, etc. I want to do something of a vineyard leaning garden on a lot in Windenburg (until we can have real vineyards and wine making) but wasn't sure about setting it up. (especially with the new EP which I have barely gotten to play around with any since buying it.)
    Origin ID: ghamrick75
    (I'm been redoing my gallery stuff so bear with me. FYI: I never use CC on my gallery builds. I rarely use MOO.) I am usually more pleased with my room builds than my lot builds.

“I have never met such weird yet serious and earnest people.” ― Jack Kerouac, The Dharma Bums