Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Playing with Mermaids is Depressing :((

TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
edited July 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Basically because of what they can do. They have abilities but most of the wonderful animations are on water.... base game worlds up to Pre-Island Living worlds (except evergreen harbor) has no Swimmable oceans. (That island in Windenburg is a missed opportunity!!) Now they released the pond tools.

I know that we knew from the start that mermaids can't swim, but can they just even wade to show their tails or something? Many worlds have no swimmable waters and now we have the tool we cannot do it. I know we can make pools but...Why is that restriction there at all?

Playing with mermaids feels limiting where majority of their time unless you are playing in Sulani or new EP Worlds, you cannot see your sim mermaid form because we don't have much opportunity for it.

I wish Maxis will find a way to change this.. Either open up all waters in all worlds or... atleast make us use the ponds
Post edited by EA_Lanna on

Comments

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,421 Member
    I completely agree. For the worlds without water to swim in, you can add a pool to the lot so mermaids can swim in there. But that just isn't the same.

I would really like an ocean in a temperate climate, like the windenburg island or the brindleton Bay beach. All the worlds we got after Sulani have inland waterways (rivers or small lakes), no oceans to swim.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Oasis Springs should be warm enough. Wish I could take my mermaids down to the beach there.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I completely agree. For the worlds without water to swim in, you can add a pool to the lot so mermaids can swim in there. But that just isn't the same.

I would really like an ocean in a temperate climate, like the windenburg island or the brindleton Bay beach. All the worlds we got after Sulani have inland waterways (rivers or small lakes), no oceans to swim.

I agree with you. Especially on the beautiful island in Wondenburg. The Island is surrounded by crystal clear and not poluted water enough for sims to go and splash around (also the beach area in Brindleleton Bay), but for some reason, you have to build a pool in the small lots there just to have them swim.... It's very frustrating to be honest. We do have 64x64 lots on these areas but putting a huge pool on them significantly drops performance especially if you want to decorate them to look "pondy"
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,444 Member
    Completely agree. I'd really like to see more ocean areas in current worlds open up for swimming so our Mer people can live in various worlds. They shouldn't be restricted to warm climates either, I wouldn't mind having an ice Mer colony.

They said they were going to work on opening more swimming areas so I hope the project hasn't been abandoned.
    #Team Occult
  • GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    The only reason I'd even consider getting Island Living is because of the mermaid life state, but that seems so limited and like they haven't gone beyond the absolute basics of 'mermaid has pretty tail, sings songs and lives on an island'. I have a huge issue with one of the gameplay specifics in Island Living (sims being able to tan with little to no risk), but I also love, love, love mermaids - I just wish they were better developed/more able to do stuff away from Sulani.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited July 2021
    Totally agree. Love love love my mermaid but the opportunity for him to shine is few and inbetween. I was really hoping for a special interaction with the pond tool at least😑 I flooded my sims house. How cool it would be if he could turn as soon as his legs touch s certain height if water.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • kemowerykemowery Posts: 371 Member
    edited July 2021
    TS1299 wrote: »
    Playing with mermaids feels limiting where majority of their time unless you are playing in Sulani or new EP Worlds, you cannot see your sim mermaid form because we don't have much opportunity for it.

I wish Maxis will find a way to change this.. Either open up all waters in all worlds or... atleast make us use the ponds
    Atreya33 wrote: »

I accidentally had a mermaid family for a while. My sim married the Island townie with dark skin and the tattoo on her arm and shoulder, and I didn't know she was a mermaid at the time. But I didn't want to play on Sulani, so I built them a home in ... either Oasis Springs or Strangeville and a big pool. She started getting moodlets about missing the ocean. It got to be too sad.

I haven't done another game with mermaids, though I'm tempted to try it to see how they fare in Mt. Komorebi or Henford-on-Bagley.

But, yeah, we really need water opened up everywhere.
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I think the most disappointing thing for me is that they are even hampered in the world they came with. Having to swim back to the beach to enter the house when every other type of sim can use a dock ladder. There's no excuse for this.
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    We have Vampires, Aliens, Spell casters, and Mermaids. The only really developed ones out of the four is vampires.
    That being said, I do have Island Living, and bought it for the mermaids. I am actually pretty disappointed that we can't do much with them. They feel super limited, and they don't have a level system like Vampires and Spell casters.
    I hope they open up the areas for Mermaids to swim in other worlds besides Sulani, because I really love the Mermaids, but I can't do much with them.
    One thing that is interesting is that they can turn into Mermaids in the tub, but that seems to be the only thing outside Sulani water they can change. Some of my Mermaids live outside of Sulani, but I stopped making them, because I can't have them swim outside of that world.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I forgot to add along with Mermaids being useless in ponds, they arr also broken in the current patch. Mermaids created in CAS no longer have tails in live mode.
    CelSims wrote: »
    I think the most disappointing thing for me is that they are even hampered in the world they came with. Having to swim back to the beach to enter the house when every other type of sim can use a dock ladder. There's no excuse for this.

There is a tooltip that says that mermaids prefer not to use the ladder or something but the ironic thing is they can climb the pool ladder so it is an awful excuse for them to ignore the ladder from IL.
    LiELF wrote: »
    Completely agree. I'd really like to see more ocean areas in current worlds open up for swimming so our Mer people can live in various worlds. They shouldn't be restricted to warm climates either, I wouldn't mind having an ice Mer colony.

They said they were going to work on opening more swimming areas so I hope the project hasn't been abandoned.

I hope they do that. I Cannot remember who but before the ponds update a certain modder on twitter said that he noticed how in the older worlds there are changes made on the oceans in regards to coding. I really hope they can go swimming soon.
    Umbreon12 wrote: »
    We have Vampires, Aliens, Spell casters, and Mermaids. The only really developed ones out of the four is vampires.
    That being said, I do have Island Living, and bought it for the mermaids. I am actually pretty disappointed that we can't do much with them. They feel super limited, and they don't have a level system like Vampires and Spell casters.
    I hope they open up the areas for Mermaids to swim in other worlds besides Sulani, because I really love the Mermaids, but I can't do much with them.
    One thing that is interesting is that they can turn into Mermaids in the tub, but that seems to be the only thing outside Sulani water they can change. Some of my Mermaids live outside of Sulani, but I stopped making them, because I can't have them swim outside of that world.

Agreed one of the highlights of being a mermaids is able to swim in bodies of water with their beautiful tails. But what is the point if you are limited to do it in one world? It's like having the vampires dark form only available in forgotten hallow or spellcasters magic only available at the magic realm.
    Oasis Springs should be warm enough. Wish I could take my mermaids down to the beach there.

The beach on the community neighborhood I agree!!!. We have so much limitations already thwt it is difficult to play the game and it's features to its full potential.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    I wish the devs would fix the Mermaids for us vanilla players. Oh well. :'(
  • HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    I agree.
  • ButterWafflesARButterWafflesAR Posts: 113 Member
    I had no idea they couldn't swim in other waters. I guess I just always was happy that my mermaid story sim was living in the islands, that I didn't think to attempt to have try swimming anywhere else. Though I personally don't have any feelings on the matter, I do wish it was available for mermaids to swim where, at least so other players can have many options instead of just the islands and pool. :3
    BACK TO THE FUTURE!!!
    d3Z5s3V.jpg
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Mermaids swim perfectly well in the world that shipped with the Game Pack that introduced them. And it is a beautiful environment in which to do so.

We've had developers explain the challenges involved in coding and routing swimmable water. We know Sims can wade. Mermaids can, in a pinch, Hydrate in the bath.

But if you are playing a mermaid elsewhere than Sulani, they are out of their environment. Their utility is limited elsewhere. That's not accidental, just the compromise that allows us to have them at all.

• Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member

My guess the reason "They" EA and Maxis, don't put in swimable lakes or beaches in other worlds is because each pack is it's own entity. So putting it in other worlds would be extra programming code that people have to download even if they don't have the "Island Living" pack.

However, I do agree it would be nice.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,570 Member
    I personally wouldn't decide to put my mermaid into a world without swimmable bodies of water and then complain about that fact.

Adding swimmable bodies of water is a lot easier while you are creating that world. I also don't know whether swimmable bodies of water in worlds of earlier packs would work for existing saves. If it doesn't, they probably won't do it in order to avoid the backlash coming from players that play their existing saves for years and don't want to start a new one just to enjoy the features.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • RySBIRySBI Posts: 329 Member
    I didn’t know Evergreen Harbour has swimmable areas, that’s really cool. (I don’t have much interest in that pack tbh) I do agree, I’d love to see more swimmable non-pool areas like the fishing areas. There’s a lot of existing water to make use of. I want to see my mermaids/sirens luring Sims to the pond in Magnolia Park or the foggy lake in Forgotten Hollow.

Pleeease Maxis
  • CASim1000CASim1000 Posts: 21 Member
    I have a mermaid living in Oasis Springs, lol. She has to hydrate in a 3x3 pool every day. :neutral:
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited July 2021
    I made a house with an enormous basement that was all swimming pool for one of my mermaid families.
    But I really wish we had more swimmable waters.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Justa_G00fJusta_G00f Posts: 1,075 Member
    Pools are nice for mermaids, I guess but, you probably won't see many dolphins. 😩 🥺 😢
    How your Sims builds show your meds' effectiveness

ntq84Hk.jpg
  • ButterWafflesARButterWafflesAR Posts: 113 Member
    I kind of want to make a pool for a mermaid just to see if they can summon a dolphin in the pool. It wouldn't surprise me if they could, it's sims. In the Sims world: "What's logic?"
    BACK TO THE FUTURE!!!
    d3Z5s3V.jpg
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member

I honestly don't see the point, other than story-wise, to have Mermaids not in Sulani. However a Mermaid living in San Myshuno could work as a conversationalist in Sulani I suppose.

As for swimming, I noticed it has to be a certain depth anyways before a Sim will be able to start swimming. Pools are already maximum depth.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,421 Member
    RySBI wrote: »
    I didn’t know Evergreen Harbour has swimmable areas, that’s really cool. (I don’t have much interest in that pack tbh) I do agree, I’d love to see more swimmable non-pool areas like the fishing areas. There’s a lot of existing water to make use of. I want to see my mermaids/sirens luring Sims to the pond in Magnolia Park or the foggy lake in Forgotten Hollow.

Pleeease Maxis

Evergreen Harbour doesn't have any water to swim in. Eco lifestyle is the only EP after island living without swimmable water. As far GP worlds go, none of them have water to swim in despite RoM being released after IL.
    Currently you can swim in
    - Sulani (ocean in all neighbourhoods)
    - Britechester (in all 3 neighbourhoods),
    - Mt komorebi (river in wakaba neighbourhood)
    - Henford on Bagley (river in all 3 neighbourhoods)
    83bienchen wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't decide to put my mermaid into a world without swimmable bodies of water and then complain about that fact.

Adding swimmable bodies of water is a lot easier while you are creating that world. I also don't know whether swimmable bodies of water in worlds of earlier packs would work for existing saves. If it doesn't, they probably won't do it in order to avoid the backlash coming from players that play their existing saves for years and don't want to start a new one just to enjoy the features.

I think you are right that adding swimmable water to new worlds is easier than editing existing worlds. IF they ever decide to update existing worlds I don't expect it to work on existing saves either.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I don't like that TS4 is world specific about many things. Such as the mermaids are basically confined because not all worlds have bodies of water that can be used. But aliens, vampires and magicians can live in any world and not see too much limitation. I don't understand Maxis sometimes (other than can't edit base game worlds etc.) because as much as they want to claim TS4's worlds (and players say it, too) are travelable unlike TS3, TS4 is more like TS3 than meets the eye when things like mermaids are restricted to a lesser life if you play one anywhere else other than the world they came in. Might as well be playing TS3 if worlds can't be connected for mermaids or any other life form that is restricted by geography. And there would be more to do, anyway. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.