Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Toggle for Alien Abduction; Why it's Needed.

1235...Next

Comments

• calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    It just needs a simple tick box in the game options. Those who don't want alien abductions can uncheck it, much like temperature effects on Sims with Seasons.

Currently the alien abductions and illness system are what's holding me back from buying Get to Work. I've found a mod to turn off the illness, but have not found one to turn off alien abductions (I don't use script mods so if someone has found a mod, that's not a script mod, to turn off alien abductions, please tell me). If EA added a way to turn off alien abductions then i would buy Get to Work as I like the other features that the pack brings.

I resisted GTW for years because I didn't want aliens in my game but recently purchased it for 50% off and have never looked back. The illness system can be irritating but have them drink tea and they'll be fine. As for aliens, I never saw any until I played the Scientist career and even then they only appear during Alien Night at bars. I've seen one abduction where my scientist was whisked away then returned unscathed.

I'm having so much fun with retail that I'd wished I'd bought the pack sooner.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    They aren’t going to go into a 7 year old pack to add a toggle to nerf a feature they have already pretty much nerfed out of existence already.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    Abuse survivor here. I have no issues with toggles being added to the game, if it means certain aspects of gameplay don't get nerfed entirely. I do; however, take issue with folks who think they can speak on behalf of abuse survivors and/or who seemingly act as if abuse survivors are in a perpetual state of passive victimhood and have no agency of our own.

As an abuse survivor I can research any game packs I might be considering buying, and make an informed choice as to whether or not there is content there that may be triggering to me. I can then make the decision, for myself, as to whether I purchase that pack or not.

If I do encounter triggering content that I wasn't previously aware of I can also then decide how I respond to the feelings that content might engender. I may not have had any choice in regards to the abuse itself, but I certainly have the choice now as to how I deal, or cope with certain triggers - and that may include deciding to work through difficult emotions bought up during gameplay (with the knowledge that it is a game, so it also provides a safe environment to explore different coping mechanisms), or deciding that the trigger is too much and disabling that particular pack.

What I don't need, nor appreciate, is a bunch of White Knight types thinking they are helping me by riding in on their trusty steeds to protect me from the big, bad horrible game world, as if I have no will, agency, voice, or self determination of my own. It's infantilising, it's patronising, and it completely discounts the hard work I've done to move from 'victim' to survivor.

THIS. And I also agree with @Cinebar 100%.

Also, I'd just like to say I'm really sorry for all of those who have experienced Alien abductions and feel triggered by this gameplay. I'm also sorry for my sarcasm and the tough love that I'm about to throw out. (But not really sorry because our oversensitive outrage society constantly fighting on the behalf of imaginary victims needs to grow the heck up and put their adult pants on, and let people represent themselves. I know they mean well but they are destroying everything in the arts and entertainment industry and enough is enough.)

First of all, a toggle would have been great. Truly. But to be realistic, toggles are made when the pack or feature is made, in order to avoid game instability. Devs have stated before that too many toggles also contribute to game instability. Don't believe them? Take a look at Sims 3 and the state it's in without mods. But hey, if it can be done for Aliens in Sims 4, great, maybe they will do one of their pack updates and this whole conversation can be put to rest. But if it cannot, then what's the solution? I, speaking for myself as someone who has had more than my own fair share of real life unsavory experiences and have never, in any way, shape or form, ever considered this fantastical and completely fictional experience to be remotely "triggering" or even resembling of any of my real life experiences,... do NOT want this feature turned into a lot challenge. Why? Because it takes the surprise out of it and limits one of the things I love about The Sims to be lot specific and predictable, not to mention redundant after the first few times. This would mean choosing which Sims I subject to the chance rather than having it be completely random and challenging. Yes, making it a lot challenge would actually take the challenge out of it. Maybe we should have a lot trait that bans abductions instead. Then, those few who get triggered can protect their Sims and control what happens to them. Or, you know, maybe skip that pack altogether. Because the world goes on with or without you and cannot be expected to coddle every single being who "might" feel bad while engaging in optional entertainment. Once the boulder starts rolling down that hill, the avalanche of further censorship in this game will follow.

As has been pointed out by others in this thread, every person is responsible for themself. If you get upset by certain things, then research before you purchase. There are ESRB warnings on games for a reason. The Sims 4 contains "suggestive themes", so if you think that might include something that offends or triggers you, it is your own responsibility to research what that means and put your money away and not buy the game if it offends you. Play something "safer" instead. It's astounding to me that there are people who expect a life simulator to always be all candy and flowers, rated "G" and never have challenges or unexpected circumstances. What kind of life do y'all come from because it's pretty common knowledge that life is often weird, hard, and unpredictable. But this is also a game. In the end, it's still fiction. If someone is so easily set off by Aliens and male pollination (and yes, that's "pollination", because that's what the game implies, not assault. "Pollination", as in bees and flowers. The "pollinating" of humans by some kind of Alien plant species. Is that really not completely absurd to some of you?) then the problem is yours. Take responsibility for yourself and your feelings and uninstall the pack or the game, or whatever it is you need to do, and move on. It means this game isn't for you and maybe you've learned that not everything will cater to you because...that's life. It's just entertainment. It's just a game. It's not meant to be taken so seriously. Unclench.

To sum up for those who can't be bothered to read a couple of paragraphs, yes, I support a toggle if it can be done without destabilizing the game. I do not want abductions becoming a lot challenge because they will become predictable and redundant. Until then, let potentially "triggered" people speak for themselves and if you're offended by abductions, don't buy the pack or play this game because the ESRB rating states there are "suggestive themes" and it's your responsibility to avoid them if they upset you, not a game developer's responsibility to pander to your sensitivity.

#StopCancelCulture
    #Team Occult
  • MissSweetVioletMissSweetViolet Posts: 50 Member
    I realize I kind of dropped off in the conversation awhile ago (to be honest, I just got tired of trying to get those who were against it to try and understand what my point of view was). I finely just broke down and started modding it, and kind of glad I did to be honest, as I've found I enjoy modding it. I did want to make something clear that I noticed though. I saw people asking why you couldn't just do your research and avoid the pack.

The reason is; They absolutely can, that's not my issue. My issue is it's not easily shut off without mods and it affects story tellers, as well as any one who doesn't want that part of the game, but wants other parts, like the baking, other jobs (it's not just the Scientist career you know), and I don't think it's fair to have to avoid a pack you might otherwise enjoy because of one thing. Also what if you want a Scientist, but don't want them abducted or getting others in the house abducted. I have a couple worlds with Scientist types that aren't involved with aliens, and also a world where the aliens are suppose to be friendly, and thus should be randomly abducting sims. Just a bit more food for thought there.

As for why no one brought it up, I saw a few threads being it up in the past, so has been an issue, also things change. I saw this post in the thread earlier that summed it up quite nicely I thought.
    To all those complaining "why didn't people speak up earlier?" well... probably there were more pressing issues with the pack when it first came out. Also, and most importantly, sensitivities change as time passes. Both for individuals and collectively. And a lot has a been going on the topic of consent in the years since GTW came out. So I can see why people would bring it up now and not then - also, toggles are more of a thing now, they have been used for a few packs already.

I remember when I played TS2 I thought male pregnancies as a result of alien abduction were "aww! cute!". Then TS3 came along and I thought it was "cool!" (=another alien baby for my collection)". Then after a long hiatus I started playing TS4 for the first time earlier this year, and when it happened again my reaction was "Oh! The joke is still going on. Ok." immediately followed by "this is going to age like milk..." I'm not bothered by it, personally, but I can see how this is a bit problematic and ultimately in poor taste.

Remember back in 1981, in Raiders of the Lost Ark, how it was endearing that the protagonist had had sexual relations with his supervisor's minor daughter? Go back in time a few more decades, and it was hilarious to see an advert in which a husband spanked his wife. Go further back in time (not much) and people were willing to pay good money to point and laugh at those with deformities and disabilities.

Sensitivities change. Male sexual assault is still at the butt of many crude jokes, and stigmatised both legally and in society. As people (some sooner, some later) slowly become more aware of the complexity of the world outside their own tiny bubble, they are going to realise this sort of joke are not actually funny in the least, just lame and in poor taste. Like humour based on hitting men in their crotch (does anyone at all still find that remotely funny?)

I'm personally not too bothered by the alien abductions but I don't see why a toggle would be such a terrible idea. We can disable storms (which IMHO are a central element of the Seasons pack), so if some people want to disable the abductions (which are not a central feature of a pack devoted to work and shops), they should be able to do that. I just fail to see how this is taking away fun from those who enjoy this particular feature. I think it is a more reasonable option than nerfing the game. The latter is probably the only thing sure to make everyone unhappy.

Personally, I doubt they'll realistically invest on a toggle for the GTW pack, so those who oppose it can take it easy and relax. But I do think if the devs go ahead with TS5 and decide to include alien abductions resulting in a pregnancy, they will probably have to present them in a slightly different way. The more time passes, the more sensitive people are going to be to scenarios like that.