The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Goodbye Claire.

One of my first sims i played with for a long time is days away from death, and I feel so sad. How do you deal with your favorite sims dying?
ID: L33tP33tNW
she/her
AKA Doggers123

pJYI4la.png

Comments

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,442 Member
    I play with aging off. My Sims are immortal unless I choose Death for them. 😁
    #Team Occult
  • ElisetomElisetom Posts: 70 Member
    I play with a very long lifespan and I am also preparing for the depart of a beloved sim.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited July 2021
    doggers123 wrote: »
    One of my first sims i played with for a long time is days away from death, and I feel so sad. How do you deal with your favorite sims dying?

I save them so I can play with them when ever I want so it doesn't matter if they die in one save
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,842 Member
    Depending on how I play that save decides that, one save I've mentioned before because it was on short it had a lot of deaths family was important to them. There is a cemetery if you have cats and dogs and you can place in world with tombstones so I would take the whole family there to say goodbye to loved ones then they'd go to the main family house and have dinner. Most of them would stay most of the night without me having to lock the door like they wanted to be together. Others would get a place in the backyard or on little alters with pictures of themselves and flowers. Can't help myself sometimes.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I usually simply don't (aging off). If I am not ready for them to die, they are not allowed. Plus I keep a number of saved versions of my favorites in my library to play with again.

However, if I am detached and ready for their story to finish, I wouldn't mind some prep. Perhaps build a crypt and invite friends and family over to say goodbye one last time. Then it is just deciding if I want to see the ghost, but if it is my fav I probably do.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited July 2021
    I get sad but I accept that it's a part of the natural life cycle, I like to play realistic mostly. I do play with the longest life span so that I can keep them in my game for a long time. I don't enjoy playing the sims without natural aging or a proper life cycle.
  • mitchiebanjomitchiebanjo Posts: 172 Member
    They are characters in a game. I don't get attached to them. There are always more sims where they came from.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    If they truly are a favorite of mine then I've got a bunch of screenshots to look back on to remind me of them. Sometimes I'll extend the lifespan to have a little more time but I'd much rather aging on than play the same sims every time. Something I've also done in the past is made them into a non-active household for multiple save files so I can still see them every now and then.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    My Sims never die.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I lost the husband from the very first family I ever played about 3 weeks ago (I think I made this sim when before the game was released with the CAS thing they gave us back then). How did I take it??? Like I lost my best friend. I stopped playing for 2 weeks. I removed my mods and CC. Went to building instead of playing. And I'll be honest, I don't think I can ever go back to that save.

I didn't know sims could autonomously woohoo. I spent the day remodeling their home since one of their very rich kid gave them a nice chunk of change. They started fostering 2 orphans and they still live in their original home, which is now a industrial neighborhood. So I wanted their house to be a little nicer on the inside to make up for it. Anyway...I was testing out seating and making sure everything was functional as I went along. I didn't notice how often they were kissing and flirting. Then they went and woohoo'd and I heard Grim music immediately after. And that was it. His wife plead for him and Grim said no. I cried for 15 minutes and ranted/vented to my hubby. Now I'm like...do I even want to play this game anymore.

8D5eMSG.jpg
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,950 Member
    edited July 2021
    I play with aging off…… and haven’t aged any sims in awhile. I have a pretty large rotation. But, if you have the wishing well can’t you bring them back, make them younger or something?Or if you don’t mind using occult’s make them a vampire or witch…. Aren’t they able to stay alive forever? I haven’t used any of these 3 things myself so I’m not sure about them, but someone who has used them might know for sure.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,950 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    I lost the husband from the very first family I ever played about 3 weeks ago (I think I made this sim when before the game was released with the CAS thing they gave us back then). How did I take it??? Like I lost my best friend. I stopped playing for 2 weeks. I removed my mods and CC. Went to building instead of playing. And I'll be honest, I don't think I can ever go back to that save.

I didn't know sims could autonomously woohoo. I spent the day remodeling their home since one of their very rich kid gave them a nice chunk of change. They started fostering 2 orphans and they still live in their original home, which is now a industrial neighborhood. So I wanted their house to be a little nicer on the inside to make up for it. Anyway...I was testing out seating and making sure everything was functional as I went along. I didn't notice how often they were kissing and flirting. Then they went and woohoo'd and I heard Grim music immediately after. And that was it. His wife plead for him and Grim said no. I cried for 15 minutes and ranted/vented to my hubby. Now I'm like...do I even want to play this game anymore.

8D5eMSG.jpg

Yes, I have become very attached to my sims.
  • AkiraDrekAkiraDrek Posts: 4 New Member
    Playing the not-so berry challenge. On the fourth generation. I miss my second gen sim though. RIP Rory : (
  • blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,371 Member
    I save them, so I can always go back to them, I also play with the lifespan set to long. I pair my absolute favorites up with vampires or class them as a super sim and try to make some story up as to why they don't age. My rule is I can only keep one sim from each generation around, though sometimes risky vampirism works it's magic so I get two :D
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,465 Member
    doggers123 wrote: »

It's heart-rending, that much is certain. It's like reading a very good book in which you really love the main character and then that character is killed or dies. Hard to finish a book when you can't see the words for the tears in your eyes. As for how to handle the loss of a dear Sim. I have a confession to make. I generally restart a new game save starring the Sim who passed on. I also play on LONG. I have to say I have had key Sims die prematurely, as it were, making the plot moot. So a Restart is my only option. Can't even recall how many times I've had to Restart — it's that bad. My hope is to see my Global Superstar still performing live concerts in his elder years. Of course, he's not yet reached elder. He became an Adult two games saves ago before a patch hit that scuttled the game. I played a TEST save until my mods were updated, but upon installing the key updated mod, something went awry and he lost all the albums and songs he was receiving royalties on. Too hard to make that up, I started anew, figuring it was flat out easier for him to write songs for license and to record albums on his way up to the top. Also, he earned his status in just eleven Sim days than the previous save. So, despite the fact that I was truly enjoying playing the domestic side of his life, it is what it is. Just got him married again and his first child is born. However, Cottage Living is also almost upon us, so I will be playing a different save for quite some time.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    edited July 2021
    I've unfortunately suffered several losses in real life in the past few years. My last surviving grandparent passed peacefully at 92. My wife's dear mom's fight with cancer ended, too soon. A "cradle friend" was killed in an accident. Right now, I'm playing games like The Sims so I can enjoy visiting a world that's simpler for a while. That's why I have my Sims not aging until I tell them to.

I know myself well enough to know I'm the kind who could get attached to a Sim I've played for a while and be saddened at their loss.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    @doggers123 I don't let them die
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Lulu29Lulu29 Posts: 171 Member
    When the matriarch of the first family died (who happened to be the first Sim that I created for the game) I did (as silly as it sounds) feel a bit sentimental over it. Normally though, I can't say I'm overly bothered unless I become attached to them (such as in the first instance).
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,141 Member
    I think the surprising death hurts me more than a "planned" death through mccc. In my decade challenge I've installed a mod which tells me who have passed away. Sometimes I've cursed when I've read a familiar name, but at least I'm informed. A few days ago I let my first ingame-born heir passed away at age 77 years, he and one of his sister were my little babies and before I've started the challenge, I could never ever let my sims die.

For this challenge I've even expanded the simdays for a year to have enough time and reduced the chance of dieing (for him only). I gave him a nice elderly life with a part of his family around him, I've let visited his granddaughter, the current heir, to spend some time with him. In the end it still hurts, he was part of my game for over one year. After the death I've checked my older savefiles to save him in my gallery, unfortunately through the changes of the savefiles, I haven't any savefile from the beginning anymore. In the oldest savefile he is still a child but almost a teenager, but at least I've could saved him now. Well, I have also many pictures of him, so I can view these whenever I want.
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited July 2021
    None of my sims has died since I started playing Sims4 last spring - hold on, one may have been killed in a kitchen fire. I quit without saving and didn't care that I'd lost over 2 hours of gaming. Also, I did kill off a few townies...

Back in my Sims 1 and 2 days, if a sim I really loved died unexpectedly, I'd stop the game and exit without saving. My favorites are not allowed to die. I play with aging off.

I would also stop and restart for other sims, but if a sim really seemed determined to die then I'd let them go, call them an id.iot, and continue on with that family. I had one house in Sims2 that I swear was cursed, the adults kept dying in stupid ways and no matter what I did, they'd just keep doing the same things and dying as a result. I restarted at least 3 times when the mother died of hunger (toddler and baby in the house - those kids'll get you every time). The rest of the family kept getting in front of the fridge, preventing her from getting food. I tried moving the fridge and even putting food in front of her and her family kept getting in the way. I gave up. Later the father went swimming. The rotten kids kept getting in front of the ladders, preventing his leaving the pool. I tried at least 4 times, telling the kids to go away - then the neighbor got in the pool... I finally gave up when he died again and the game told me the game was over because there were no adults left. I finally gave up on that family and deleted the House of Doom. I didn't build on that lot again!
  • Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    I dealt with the passing of Laitha by keeping her ghost around.
  • HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 322 Member
    The last legacy I played I was a little sad when my founder died, but everyone after had to go to make space for the next generation. Currently, I have found storyline appropriate ways for my favorites not to die. For example, of course my favorite spellcaster is going to figure out the immortality potion and share it with his bestie, so they won't die. I let mermaids be immortal as long as they're in Sulani; once they leave the island, I let them age. I'm only just getting into the second and third generation in a rotational save, so I haven't had to let go of too many sims yet. I found it was much easier to let go of them once I had played out all of my ideas for their story and moved on to their kids.

Plus tons of screenshots. Once I figured out pose player, I went back in to my tray files, popped my first generation into a photo/testing save, and took a few poses group shots of them to put around their kids' houses to keep their memory alive in game. I've seen some people make a museum for their legacy/NSB families, and I think I'm going to do that for a lot of my sims' achievements in this save.