Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cottage Living Looks Impressive...But I'm Worried.

Up until and including University, I had bought every pack for Sims 4, the completionist in me was 'on a roll'. And then came 2020, a year to forget about, like a bad dream you waken from and instantly start erasing from your mind. I ended up with 'Snowy Escape' which is actually a pretty decent pack. Now the 'Cottage Living' promo looks like fun and full of content, it looks like the dev team have hunkered down and worked together on this pack. But as a simmer who plays with mods, I've managed to get my game virtually bug-free in the last year and as a result, I'm playing more than I have in years. But, as we all know, new packs break old packs, new bugs resurrect old bugs and mods get wiped out like a bomb on a battlefield.
So, I'm worried that my game equilibrium is going to be shattered buying a new expansion pack.

Please, please devs, make bug-fixing a priority BEFORE release...a happy community is always going to make you more money in the long run.
And so, like mist on a morning breeze, I will disperse back into non-existence.
But remember to fix the bugs...

Comments

• Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    It is unfortunate, but I have accepted things are going to break. Less so with the pack in this case, and more so due to update content. We are getting a whole reworked lot challenge system with unlimited additions. I imagine a number of things could break there. And, yes, mods always have to be updated. It is unfortunate, but modders are beholden to 4's schedule and 4 can completely disregard modders if they so please.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Those worried about bugs definitely shouldn't pre-order or purchase the game right away. Also don't update until you're reasonably sure there won't be any patch problems. Maybe easier said than done but it's the only way to be sure.
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Yeah it’s always a bit concerning for sure. Plus side I haven’t heard of any major bugs or really many at all mentioned by the game changers playing the beta version with the base game and update. Hopefully that means it won’t be too bad and break other packs. No way to know. It’s usually the update though that’s the issue not the pack with a few exceptions like DHD and BTD.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I'm a little concerned on how the new garden in Cottage Living will work considering the old garden doesn't work properly?
    Also, how is the new farming festivals going to work when we already have the City Living & Snow Escape festivals overlapping already?
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Akl500P wrote: »
    Yeah it’s always a bit concerning for sure. Plus side I haven’t heard of any major bugs or really many at all mentioned by the game changers playing the beta version with the base game and update. Hopefully that means it won’t be too bad and break other packs. No way to know. It’s usually the update though that’s the issue not the pack with a few exceptions like DHD and BTD.

You haven't, because they are only playing with the base game and new pack (beta). The real challenge will be when it releases and unforseen bugs happen with other DLC pack that were not tested along with it as well.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Give it six to twelve weeks before you buy it. Let modders update their stuff. Wait out the round of bug patches.

If your game is stable and playable - enjoy that and be patient. You don't need to have the pack the day it come out.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    There have been some larger bugs in their recent packs so I think we can expect that this pack might also have some bugs when it's coming out...but I don't think it will ruin your game, I think most mods will be fine too.

• Options
    logion wrote: »
    There have been some larger bugs in their recent packs so I think we can expect that this pack might also have some bugs when it's coming out...but I don't think it will ruin your game, I think most mods will be fine too.

All bugs in Sims 4 100% "ruin" my game. How is it I can play other video games and there are almost no bugs to ruin the game?
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Akl500P wrote: »

You haven't, because they are only playing with the base game and new pack (beta). The real challenge will be when it releases and unforseen bugs happen with other DLC pack that were not tested along with it as well.

That’s why I said there is no way to really know but it’s a positive that they didn’t have many. Sometimes they notice pretty bad bugs in the early access beta that aren’t fixed by the time we get the pack. This time I’ve only heard some mild issues mentioned and some had zero issues.

I know the other DLC may break stuff and cause problems especially with the update which will be out I assume Tuesday. It’s really a wait and see game. I just hope it’s okay. It looks like a great pack and it be a shame if it didn’t work right.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,960 Member
    not too concerned about country pack but i surely am concerned about all the fun routing terrains basements buggy bugs the new ponds will probably introduce

but then again if we start avoiding bug you can't really add anything cool soooo yeah. id rather have bugs and fixing them than stale safesafe repeating content

the reason other games don't seem to suffer as many bugs?
    probably mostly cause they are not so open ended
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    logion wrote: »

All bugs in Sims 4 100% "ruin" my game. How is it I can play other video games and there are almost no bugs to ruin the game?

100% depends on the other games and the development philosophies behind them. I don't know what you play, so I won't make assumptions about them, but just right off the top of my head I still cannot play Planet Zoo since the African pack came out. Underwater feeders currently crash the game and they don't seem like they will be fixed any time soon.

There are always bugs, even in old games, but some are worse than others. This Pet Vet game I played as a kid forgot to unlock the horse riding field which was a part of the main goals of the game, and they still made a sequel later. All sorts of games are launched broken, too. One need only browse the AAA catalog to point them out.

Then there are games that beta release updates before openly releasing them. Rimworld has an update in beta right now as people update mods and when they release it the Ideology expansion will launch, too.

So, yeah, the why you are not experiencing this anywhere else depends on what you are playing.
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I'm not that worried, I usually don't experience any bugs that break my game. The only one was the stairs bug and I think there is a bug with the onesen cause everytime I visit there I get a last exception and I was informed it was game bug to do with the onsen and mountain excursions. Like I do experience bugs but usually I just ignore them or they don't bother me much (except for the stairs one).
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member

I'm expecting bugs. :|
    However, I personally am excited about this "Cottage Living" pack.
    And I will probably get boooed by some; the "Dream Home Decorator" pack (in my opinion) is the most boring so far of all the Expansion and Game packs. (Even compared to many of the Stuff packs.)

So for me personally, this "Cottage Living" pack is exciting. B):smiley:
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I am going to watch the forum and videos before buying.

Will the pack for sure, I am very excited about it. When that purchase takes place depends on what I see on the forum, the EA bug site and my favorite modders.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    After watching a couple of GC videos I'm concerned the EP is story-driven.
  • Options
    @Calico45 The only other game series I play regularly is the Bokujō Monogatari (Story of Seasons). Those pretty much have very few if any bugs at all. Otherwise the family plays Nintendo games. I always wait until the packs go on sale before purchasing if I am interested anyway as I don't trust DLC to be worth full price due to any bugs.
  • Options
    @Calico45 The only other game series I play regularly is the Bokujō Monogatari (Story of Seasons). Those pretty much have very few if any bugs at all. Otherwise the family plays Nintendo games. I always wait until the packs go on sale before purchasing if I am interested anyway as I don't trust DLC to be worth full price due to any bugs.

Oh cool, I play those, too. I still encounter bugs, though. The original Story of Seasons glitched out on me during a contest for the field with the longest rental period. I would save, check my status, and reload if I did not win. Problem was it stopped counting my score. I never really figured out why, but being honest it upset me so much at the thought of having to go that long to compete for the field again I stopped playing. Plus I was fairly busy at the time anyway and I ended up never going back.

Then again, I would still call it better than the latest entry. I like it, but PoOT required and still requires so many update adjustments to it. I like the ideas behind it and the general gameplay, but I do not really feel as much soul with it.

Though I somewhat digress, never play Harvest Moon DS (still with Natsume at the time). It's virtually unplayable due to bugs. DS Cute, the girl version, works a lot better, but not perfectly.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    I have attempted to keep playing my game without updating by going through the 'backdoor' so to speak. However, it only worked the one day. The very next day, I used the same path to bypass the update, yet it wouldn't work. So, while I still keep the auto-patch turned off, so I can remove my Mods folder, I do find myself having to wait until key mods I use are updated. It's a pain, but I want a singer Sim in my game. MCCC is often cleared or a hotfix is ready by the late afternoon of the same day the patch is dropped. I didn't realize that the the last patch we got wasn't the sole pre-patch for the EP. Apparently, there's more yet to come, some speculating it might hit today. I'm not seeing any threads so I can only surmise it hasn't arrived. I'm on the road, I have a wedding this weekend to attend.
    I'm not all that worried. I often hear others complain about bugs in their game, happily, I don't generally have the same experience. I do play on a gaming rig, however.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Faraway_SonFaraway_Son Posts: 142 Member
    edited July 2021
    I've just watched 'Carl's Sims Guides' on Cottage Living Tips...it's not looking great and I am genuinely saddened by that because I thought this would be the pack to bring me back...now I'm on the fence for sure.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited July 2021
    The Patch alone that just released Wiped out a bunch of my mods but hopefully I can put all the pieces back together.
    I think I'm actually going to wait a little longer on Cottage Living I planned to get it this weekend but maybe I should wait till next month or next patch.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I've just watched 'Carl's Sims Guides' on Cottage Living Tips...it's not looking great and I am genuinely saddened by that because I thought this would be the pack to bring me back...now I'm on the fence for sure.

Let's just say the 'tone' of his assessment of Cottage Living did not impress me. I thought he went out of his way to make the pack look bad. I usually watch all his reviews and videos, and I often agree with him, but I don't agree with the way he basically used only the 'cheaty' assets while ignoring the rest of the fun game play that is in the pack. He didn't show but a smidgen of what is at the heart of Cottage Living, in my opinion.

I have been quite vocal about what I see wrong with Sims4, and I am not a huge fan of EA, so buying Cottage Living at full price was a massive leap of faith for me to take. Especially when I had been playing off line, without updating, since May 12th. I was fully prepared to suffer buyer's remorse, but I can honestly say this is the best pack I have purchased since Seasons. Yesterday I became so immersed in what I was doing, I didn't come up for air for ten hours and only after hubby threatened to feed my dinner to our kitties. No way was I sharing my grilled rib eye steak, so I caved. But as soon as dessert was consumed and the dishes were cleared, I went right back to my game and stayed there for another four hours. During my deep dive into Cottage Living I encountered a couple of little glitches and was disappointed the weekly fair is quite boring. Encountering so few glitches was amazing after playing Island Living, Eco Lifestyle and DU, then dealing with some very serious bugs that came in those EPs. In comparison, Cottage Living is almost bug free, but those are minor bugs that are barely noticeable. Not at all like the game breaking ones that came in past EPs.

If you enjoy interacting with animals, small challenges like running errands for the locals, foraging for harvestables, building relationships with the locals, and having larger lots, then I'd say this pack is one you'd enjoy. But don't rely on just one game changer's opinion of the pack to make that decision for you. Especially when he seemed to be biased against the pack before he even played it.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    I haven’t bought cottage living yet, but, I usually wait a few days till buying a pack anyway. Cottage living worries me less than the gardening bug that reverts may plants back to dirt piles in a green house, and so many things seem to cause it. I wonder if they will ever be able to fix it. And, I never have used mods or CC in the sims 4.