Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cottage Living Plant Milk

carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
Hi simmers and developers!

This is primarily for you developers for Cottage Living EP. Thanks for your work with the new expansion, it’s looks amazing, cuteness overload. I’m very excited for it! :)

I’ve watched a lot of early access on youtube and read on this forum about the new pack and one thing that I reacted on was the option to make plant milk. But the plant milk is still made from the cow.

It’s no problem that you have animal products in the game (meat, milk, eggs). The problem is that you don’t present plant milk as a legitimate choice. (You don't need cows to drink milk). Vegans don’t eat anything that comes from animals. It’s about not exploiting animals. There are also an environmental aspect to this. It's not very 2021 that the only source for milk is the cow (even the plant milk...).

Can you please put a real plant milk option (made from plants) in the game? And rename the cow Plant milk?
IRL plant milk can be made from soybeans, peas, oats, rice, potatoes, almonds or other nuts. We already have a few of these plants in the game.

Best regards//
Carpe_diem

Quick Fix solution
1. Rename the Plant milk from cow to Lactose free milk
2. Add plant milk: Re-use the animation from cooking + pouring up animation from canning
Pour it into a milk bottle with label (soybean for soy milk ASO) instead of a canning jar. This can be added to the cooking skill.

Green pea (seasons) – Pea milk
Soybeans (Eco) – Soy milk
Potatoes (BG) – Potato milk
Coconut (?) – Coconut milk
Cow plant – Vegetable cow milk
Rice (we have a couple of rice dishes, how to make these if living of the land?) – Rice milk
Oat (we have oatmeal in the game) - Oat milk

3. Plant milks needs to be added to the grocery delivery service.

4. Lactose free recipes can be made with lactose free milk OR one optional plant milk.

@SimGuruFrost @SimGuruRomeo @SimGuruPopcorn @SimGuruGraham @SimGuruVoid @SimGuruMorgan @GrimSuruDoi
Post edited by carpe_diem on

Comments

• Options
    TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    Agreed. This was a strange choice and I hope we see it fixed.
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    We have soy plant from eco lifestyle. I hope we can make soy milk.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited July 2021
    I would love to see them add almonds and/or oats, preferably both, at some point in the future, but it's probably too late to add an additional new harvestable to this pack at this point. But it seems like it would be fairly easy for them to at least patch in soy milk soon, since we already have soy. You could either add it to the cooking skill, or (what I would do) make soy milk by adding soy (and later other harvestables) to the fizzy juice machine. Or both.

I'm not even a vegan IRL, but plant milk from cows is not plant milk, that was a really weird design choice.

On a related note, you should be able to make plant cheese, either by utilizing soy, etc., directly or by using the plant milk you've already made.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    As pointed out elsewhere, if they wanted a "goofy" option, just make the cow plant able to give plant milk.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member
    I think getting different types of milk is very bad designed. It would be much better having something like the juice machine to make different types of milk. It is weird feeding the cow to get this.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited July 2021
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    I would love to see them add almonds and/or oats, preferably both, at some point in the future, but it's probably too late to add an additional new harvestable to this pack at this point. But it seems like it would be fairly easy for them to at least patch in soy milk soon, since we already have soy. You could either add it to the cooking skill, or (what I would do) make soy milk by adding soy (and later other harvestables) to the fizzy juice machine. Or both.

I'm not even a vegan IRL, but plant milk from cows is not plant milk, that was a really weird design choice.

On a related note, you should be able to make plant cheese, either by utilizing soy, etc., directly or by using the plant milk you've already made.
    Fizzing machine wouldn’t work if it was aimed at cottage living or basegame, because that is from the Eco pack as is ( as someone else mentioned ) soybeans.

They do a lot of things weird in this game. I think it is strange they picked death by rabbit instead of death by Fox. I often wish the game were more realistic. Being a meat eater myself, I was hoping cows would have reproduced and used for meat, or just sold for income ( which a sim could buy meat or other groceries with ).. After all there is an option to buy meat. It seems like they could at least add plant milk to groceries for vegans, even at this late stage, or produce/cook it from basegame potatoes.with the lactose intolerance trait in this pack, it would be a good pack to add it.
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »

Fizzing machine wouldn’t work if it was aimed at cottage living or basegame, because that is from the Eco pack as is ( as someone else mentioned ) soybeans.

They do a lot of things weird in this game. I think it is strange they picked death by rabbit instead of death by Fox. I often wish the game were more realistic. Being a meat eater myself, I was hoping cows would have reproduced and used for meat, or just sold for income ( which a sim could buy meat or other groceries with ).. After all there is an option to buy meat. It seems like they could at least add plant milk to groceries for vegans, even at this late stage, or produce/cook it from basegame potatoes.with the lactose intolerance trait in this pack, it would be a good pack to add it.

Sims can trade cows and chickens for meat, simoleons, and ingredients
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 998 Member
    Yes, I am surprised to see the plant milk source. In real life I'm allergic to dairy foods so rely on oat milk for coffee and cashew milk for tea and since this is a new allergy for me I miss my cheese and butter, but though not a vegan rely a lot on their food choices though have to watch my carbs as I'm also subject to high blood sugar. Can't wait to try out a Sim who is lactose intolerant!
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited July 2021
    Maybe we can convince EA that it is insensitive of them to have plant milk come from cows? Why not use the canning animations to make different kinds of plant milk from vegetables in the base game and different packs (like the soybeans)? They seem to have added a ton of new recipes to the game with this pack (new pies, a huge variety of jams, some unique English dishes, plus variations with the different jams) so I'm surprised they didn't do this and wish I knew how to suggest it. I do love the idea of having plant milk come from the Cowplant that was suggested above, but that's such a specialized object that maybe they would have had trouble adding any new pack-specific functionality to it.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Serious question: is the milk called plant-based or is it called lactose-free? Because it seems counter intuitive to have a new lactose-intolerant trait without lactose-free milk.
  • Options
    Felicity wrote: »
    Serious question: is the milk called plant-based or is it called lactose-free? Because it seems counter intuitive to have a new lactose-intolerant trait without lactose-free milk.
    I think it’s called plant milk in the game now, but I really hope they can rename it to lactose free milk and only call plant milk from plants for plant milk.
  • Options
    carpe_diem wrote: »
    I think it’s called plant milk in the game now, but I really hope they can rename it to lactose free milk and only call plant milk from plants for plant milk.

That would be a step in the right direction! I still wish we could have plant milk made from plants using the stove, though. I guess we'll have to wait for modders.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited July 2021
    To make soy milk they will have to add soy plants to base game, because soy plants are an Eco Living exclusive item and so soy milk would only be available to people who own both Eco Living and Cottage Living. That’s why they made plant milk come from cows via a special treat. Otherwise they get into the whole dlc for dlc again.
    Trashmagic wrote: »
    Agreed. This was a strange choice and I hope we see it fixed.
    Maybe we can convince EA that it is insensitive of them to have plant milk come from cows? Why not use the canning animations to make different kinds of plant milk from vegetables in the base game and different packs (like the soybeans)? They seem to have added a ton of new recipes to the game with this pack (new pies, a huge variety of jams, some unique English dishes, plus variations with the different jams) so I'm surprised they didn't do this and wish I knew how to suggest it. I do love the idea of having plant milk come from the Cowplant that was suggested above, but that's such a specialized object that maybe they would have had trouble adding any new pack-specific functionality to it.
    Melisendre wrote: »
    I think getting different types of milk is very bad designed. It would be much better having something like the juice machine to make different types of milk. It is weird feeding the cow to get this.
    Hi simmers and developers!

This is primarily for you developers for Cottage Living EP. Thanks for your work with the new expansion, it’s looks amazing, cuteness overload. I’m very excited for it! :)

I’ve watched a lot of early access on youtube and read on this forum about the new pack and one thing that I reacted on was the option to make plant milk. But the plant milk is still made from the cow.

It’s no problem that you have animal products in the game (meat, milk, eggs). The problem is that you don’t present plant milk as a legitimate choice. Vegans don’t eat anything that comes from animals. It’s about not exploiting animals.

Can you please put a real plant milk option (made from plants) in the game?
    IRL plant milk can be made from soybeans, peas, oats, rice, potatoes, almonds or other nuts. We already have a few of these plants in the game.

Best regards//
    Carpe_diem

@SimGuruFrost @SimGuruRomeo @SimGuruPopcorn @SimGuruGraham @SimGuruVoid @SimGuruMorgan @GrimSuruDoi

• Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    This is bizarre. Are we sure we can’t order plant-based milk through the grocer? And if not, why not? Maybe cows are just one of the ways you can get it (although that doesn’t make any sense whatsoever).
  • Options
    MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member
    edited July 2021
    To make soy milk they will have to add soy plants to base game, because soy plants are an Eco Living exclusive item and so soy milk would only be available to people who own both Eco Living and Cottage Living. That’s why they made plant milk come from cows via a special treat. Otherwise they get into the whole dlc for dlc again.
    It would have been the better choice adding soy and coconuts to the base game. Even better would have been adding new plants like almond and/or oat. And if you have eco living you could make soy milk and coconut milk with Island Living .
    Usually I don't use mods but this would be an exception.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    SheriSim57 wrote: »

Right, but they could make it a cooking skill option on the stove for basegame players, and then add cross pack functionality with the fizzing machine as well for those of us who do own Eco Lifestyle.

Edit: I don't see a problem with tying plant milk via soy to a pack (Eco Lifestyle) since milk itself is also specifically tied to a pack (Cottage Living). Or as @Melisendre suggested, coconuts by way of Island Living (this is a great idea).
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Melisendre wrote: »
    It would have been the better choice adding soy and coconuts to the base game. Even better would have been adding new plants like almond and/or oat. And if you have eco living you could make soy milk and coconut milk with Island Living .
    Usually I don't use mods but this would be an exception.

I don’t disagree. I just understand why they made the choice they did. I wouldn’t be at all bothered if both plants were shifted to base game, it seems nobody should since plants in and of themselves aren’t a major gameplay feature.
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    edited July 2021
    This needs to be changed. I choose not to drink milk because I don't want to drink an animal product. Giving a cow a treat and then milking it does not make the milk suddenly become a plant product.

There needs to be a plant based milk available via this pack or base game which does NOT come from the cow. Anything would do, from a milk bottle growing plant or milking a cow plant.
    I am half expecting that those with Eco Living will be able to harvest it from soy plants, but even if that is the case, a none cow alternative should be added to base or CoL.

Once again, milk from a cow is not plant based, no matter what you feed the cow.

Can someone go complain on Twitter where they will actually take notice.
  • Options

Yeah, it seems like imprecision is a big part of the problem and what they really meant was low lactose/lactose-free milk rather than "plant milk," which was meant to be for the benefit of lactose-intolerant sims. It seems that what they have done is sort of muddled together two slightly different but overlapping concepts: people who physically can't drink regular dairy milk, and people who never drink milk for any number of reasons, which could include physical lactose intolerance, but also ethical/moral/religious/environmental/animal cruelty/all of the above considerations.

Like, IRL, I'm someone who loves dairy, but tries to drink less of it for environmental reasons, so I drink a combination of cow milk, goat milk, oat milk, and coconut milk, at different times. (Can't give up cheese, though!) Someone who is lactose intolerant might drink specially treated cow milk sometimes (more or less what we're going to have in CL). Someone who has religious dietary restrictions or is a strict vegan might never touch cow milk at all. It seems like what they're going for is strictly the physical issue, but that seems awfully narrow, and it would be better to approach it more broadly and have more options, so it's not so much of a niche thing.
  • Options

I hate this mindset, it just shuts down so many creative cross pack functionality options. The more packs we own, the more unique interactions we should have between them.
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member

I hate this mindset, it just shuts down so many creative cross pack functionality options. The more packs we own, the more unique interactions we should have between them.

Yeah, cross content between packs =/= DLC for DLC. EL was made awhile back and these two packs are NOT the same or similar in concept. Meanwhile, Pets and MFP was very much similar in content and very, very likely MFP was made partially from leftover assets of Pets or ones cut to sell another pack (and released very closely after Pets' release which made it worse).

And I agree the plant milk thing from cows is kind of weird. I understanding wanting cute/quirky things, but this is a case where it would make more sense to go the more realistic route. Can Lactose Intolerant sims even have "Plant Milk" if it's from cows?
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    BlueR0se wrote: »

Yeah, cross content between packs =/= DLC for DLC. EL was made awhile back and these two packs are NOT the same or similar in concept. Meanwhile, Pets and MFP was very much similar in content and very, very likely MFP was made partially from leftover assets of Pets or ones cut to sell another pack (and released very closely after Pets' release which made it worse).

And I agree the plant milk thing from cows is kind of weird. I understanding wanting cute/quirky things, but this is a case where it would make more sense to go the more realistic route. Can Lactose Intolerant sims even have "Plant Milk" if it's from cows?

Well, the cow here is basically treated like the fizzy machine. Instead of adding ingredients to a machine to get flavoured milk, you add them to the cow. I would love to be able to milk the cow plant everyday for plant milk though.
  • Options
    CelSims wrote: »
    This needs to be changed. I choose not to drink milk because I don't want to drink an animal product. Giving a cow a treat and then milking it does not make the milk suddenly become a plant product.

There needs to be a plant based milk available via this pack or base game which does NOT come from the cow. Anything would do, from a milk bottle growing plant or milking a cow plant.
    I am half expecting that those with Eco Living will be able to harvest it from soy plants, but even if that is the case, a none cow alternative should be added to base or CoL.

Once again, milk from a cow is not plant based, no matter what you feed the cow.

Can someone go complain on Twitter where they will actually take notice.

This! I am not on Twitter myself so I can't do it, but I second this request. They should rename the "plant milk" option to "lactose-free milk" (as someone else suggested) and add recipes for plant-based milk created from vegetables, soybeans and coconuts to the fridge and stove; I like the idea of being able to order it from the grocery delivery service, too. Surely these would be minor tweaks and could use existing animations and meshes.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    @Amapola76 @CelSims @simfriend1968 @Pamtastic72

Don't know how you feel but I’m ok with if they re-use the animation from cooking + pouring up animation from canning, but pour it into a milk bottle with an label (soybeans for soymilk etc) instead of a canning jar. Modders shouldn't need to do this, it's so basic, it need to be in the game (also for console players and us who don't use mods). It also needs to be added to the grocery delivery. Lactose free recipes could be cooked with lactose free milk OR plant milk.

I tasted potato milk this week, it tasted like oat milk, a little more slimy (lol that sound awful, but it was ok haha! :) ).

Why not add soybean to BG because it’s not a big feature in Eco (bought that for full price, had fun with it, I’m completely ok with if they add things from it because that means that they can improve features later on instead of abandon them half done (like Lifestyles, NAPs, etc).

There are a couple of dishes in the game with rice, doesn’t we need rice then to cook these? I mean the big thing with Cottage living is “living of the land”, then we need rice. Rice milk is a thing (and not so slimy lol!).
    (Rice dishes in the game: Tofu & chicken stir fry, sushi, onigiri, sweet & sour pork, curry, etc).

And as mentioned above, if someone of you have twittter, can you please send it out in the twitter universe so it hopefully can get fixed before the game launches (we all know that they're not into fixing things aftewards). It would be very welcome! <3:)<3 You can share a link to this discussion.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Don't know how you feel but I’m ok with if they re-use the animation from cooking + pouring up animation from canning, but pour it into a milk bottle with an label (soybeans for soymilk etc) instead of a canning jar. Modders shouldn't need to do this, it's so basic, it need to be in the game (also for console players and us who don't use mods). It also needs to be added to the grocery delivery. Lactose free recipes could be cooked with lactose free milk OR plant milk.

Yes, this is exactly what I think they should do. Add making plant milk as a cooking skill to base game functionality, with base game harvestables (people have suggested potatoes, for example), then program in additional functionality for those who have other packs: use of the fizzy machine if you have EL, soy if you have EL, peas if you have Seasons (I think they came with Seasons, or were they base game, too?), coconuts if you have IL, etc. Plus almonds if they hopefully add them someday. Oooh, here's another thought: you could also make it with cowplant berries, so that sims who don't want to actually grow cowplants could use those for something other than selling them. I personally wouldn't really care what they use for the animations or artwork: canning, herbalism, juice bottles, any of the million art assets for vases and jars that already exist in the game. There are plenty of options.

Edited to add: people talk a lot about recycling animations, recycling objects, etc., but I have to say, I'm not inherently bothered by recycling, if it makes sense and if the results look right. Like, recycling parts of herbalism makes sense for canning, because, yeah, you're basically doing the same things: taking perishable ingredients, heating them up, and creating something new. I would distinguish something like that from recycling toddler bathtub animations for playing in the ocean, which just doesn't really make sense or look right. Basically, I'm results-oriented.
    Post edited by Amapola76 on