Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is your least favorite/worst expansion pack?

Comments

• SiggDiggitSiggDiggit Posts: 143 Member
    Perhaps I'm too easy to please because I like all the EPs enough that none are my least favourite, lol. I considered each pack and couldn't pick.
    2f8164094dfe843e371b34f5333b4dff1d96e006.jpg
  • SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    edited July 2021
    Get to Work
    I voted for Get To Work because it’s the pack that I play with the least in all aspects of the game. Discover University is pretty boring gameplay wise for me, but I love the CAS & build/buy.
  • KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    Snowy Escape
    For every expansion I've found a reason to love them, despite any flaws. For all of them I've found ways to integrate them into my gameplay.

...Except for Snowy Escape. The main draws are only novel every now and then, I've turned Lifestyles off, the "Adventurous" trait does nothing particularly interesting for me, I rarely use the B/B, and I only visit Mt. Komorebi in one-off playthroughs. For a guy one would've classed as a "Japanophile" some years back, you'd think I'd be in love with everything about it, but it came across so...hollow.

I do love the CAS, and vending machines are great for certain venues, but otherwise I'm glad I bought it on sale.
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
  • PlatinumblondePlatinumblonde Posts: 28 Member
    Eco Lifestyle
    I tried to like Eco lifestyle but I just couldn't.
    This pack seemed so great for rags to riches but after two days of dumpster diving my sim had enough money to build a house.
    That never happened before in any of my rags to riches playthroughs, so instead I tried to play it more in a way that it was meant to be played but somehow it didn't grow on me and I moved on.
    I did like the apartments though, because they didn't have the negative lot traits from City living and the furniture you could make but that's about it.
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    It's difficult ..., it seems like there should be some other way to not neglect the rest of the sims in the household.
    @Felicity there is. Click the sim and the icon above them & they will work on skills, fulfill needs, etc. You can also choose to follow them to work sometimes so you can focus on the rest of the family. The 3rd option is to just let the fam be feral.

wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
    NymphaeaXZ wrote: »
    Small world, quite useless, shops aren't interesting, careers are boring and annoying. Ofc im talking about GTW.

I'm quite surprised people don't like EL that much since it is one of my fave packs lol.
    NymphaeaXZ wrote: »
    Small world, quite useless, shops aren't interesting, careers are boring and annoying. Ofc im talking about GTW.

I'm quite surprised people don't like EL that much since it is one of my fave packs lol.

@NymphaeaXZ you can create any retail lot you want. I don't play the one the games made. GTW has Sixam, Magnolia prom + 3 career lots, as a work pack, pretty decent
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    Snowy Escape
    Snowy Escape. I love the Japanese inspired world and I think the gurus getting more culture into the game is a good direction. My gripe with this pack is there is nothing I can't live without. The festivals are the same basically I took my sim to one and they played in the snow the whole time. Sorry but my sim can do that on their home lot in the winter too. If I were to go to a festival in rl it would be to experience something I can't do at home. Why can't they add some carnival rides or even different arcade machines and claw game machines.

The worst part about Snowy Escape and other packs that try to throw you into a different culture or world setting is you see the same townies everywhere you go. You go to the bar you see all the famous sims in your game, go to the ski lift and oh look what a coincidence Bob Pancake and the Goth family is on the same vacation as you. The only thing I look forward to with packs like these is seeing what new retail stores I can make with GTW :smile:
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited July 2021
    Get to Work
    troshalom wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    It's difficult ..., it seems like there should be some other way to not neglect the rest of the sims in the household.
    Felicity there is. Click the sim and the icon above them & they will work on skills, fulfill needs, etc. You can also choose to follow them to work sometimes so you can focus on the rest of the family. The 3rd option is to just let the fam be feral.

@troshalom Yeah, I know about the away actions which don't allow you to continue that painting your other sim is working on, or write a book, or go fishing or do any actual actions. Back when the Sims 4 was first released, I talked to one of the simgurus who explained that since the home lot wasn't loaded, they had no way of telling if an item on the lot was available for use (like whether an easel already has a painting on it). He agreed that letting kids/teens do homework was a good idea and he'd bring it up to the team, but I have no clue if it was implemented. I don't think it was, but I use a mod that expands the away actions.

Edit: There are careers that have tasks that need doing in order to get promotions. They can't do those unless they're on the active lot. IIRC, I ran into issues with a painter (the career requires quite a bit of painting off hours) and a scientist. My painter could not hang out with his kids the nights when I followed the scientist to her job. Since I could really only focus on one sim at a time when playing an active career, I quit playing active careers for households with more than one sim.
    @Felicity true true
    I had to change my play style in TS4, I play the adults until they max their career before I start a family. Otherwise some sims are neglected. It is hard to play an active career and other careers that require lots of tasks for promotions. However, once I play a career to max, I just cheat any other sims I play with that career to max because I have already played it. That way I can focus on other things.

But yeah, I get why EA may have coded things differently, it helps to prevent lagging in the game, especially with all the packs.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Get to Work
    troshalom wrote: »
    Felicity true true
    I had to change my play style in TS4, I play the adults until they max their career before I start a family. Otherwise some sims are neglected. It is hard to play an active career and other careers that require lots of tasks for promotions. However, once I play a career to max, I just cheat any other sims I play with that career to max because I have already played it. That way I can focus on other things.

But yeah, I get why EA may have coded things differently, it helps to prevent lagging in the game, especially with all the packs.

Unfortunately, it still lags. It's coded the way it is because it was originally going to be a multiplayer game. As a single player game, it is being used in a way it fundamentally wasn't designed to be used. In a multiplayer game, you don't have to worry so much about AI simulation as you have real people for the most part doing that with just the occasional walk-by AI, and having a loading screen between lots is understandable. I guess they felt they didn't have time to start over with a different engine, but it suffers for that. Sims 3 had a lot of lag caused by routing errors, but very little simulation lag, and it also adjusted how many sims were at lots by how powerful your CPU is.

Anyway, I wish they could have come up with a better option with GTW and Get Famous which didn't require neglecting all but the sim in the active career. I like the active careers which are in the world rather than on a hidden lot but I know that wouldn't be doable with the specialized careers.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Island Living
    Some of y'all are sleeping on Eco Lifestyle😭😭😭😭 That pack has so much gameplay variety outside the context of living an eco, or not so eco friendly lifestyle. To each their own I guess 🤪.

As for my answer, Island Living didn't do much for me. I appreciate the suntans/burns, pool floaties, beach towels, advanced swimming, and a new world to either live in or visit, but in my day to day gameplay the pack is largely absent.
  • wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    Discover University
    I play in rotation so I hate that I can't leave my Uni sims without the grades dropping. I also just don't find it remotely fun. I did enjoy much of the cas however
    The only reason Eco life wasn't my vote is that I find the world very helpful for my criminal sims and for rags to riches challenges, otherwise it has nearly wrecked my game several times with the NAPS turning my sims and npcs into mega jerks who I had little control of and I had to disable naps and the footprint. I love its build/ buy and cas so it has a slight advantage to University in that area as well.... and why I was reluctant to just remove it fully.

So university for me is the least used and least fave. Never even enter the world.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited July 2021
    Get to Work
    It's just the one I use the least. I find skiing/snowboarding/sledding really fun, I love playing off the grid with the Eco Lifestyle stuff, most of my Sims go to University, all my vacation lots are in Sulani, I love the Actor career despite it's bugs, I celebrate all the holidays as much as I can, my sims usually have a cat or a dog at some point in their life, I love apartments, and I love Windenburg. It's not up there but I don't own Cottage Living :)

Edit: Eco Lifestyle has my favorite apartments. Evergreen Harbor (not the dirty neighborhood, everwhere BUT that) is underrated in my opinion.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Get to Work
    I dont hate it, but I dont use the careers or retail system like at all. I like the B/B but Its a forgettable pack in my opinion.
  • ApricusApricus Posts: 671 Member
    Island Living
    Bought island living full price. Bored in less then 2 hours.
    ZjzmtTb.jpg
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    edited October 2021
    Snowy Escape
    I kinda hate picking it, and maybe my expectations were too high for whatever reasons, but Snowy Escape is actually the one I ended up feeling most "ripped off" by. The festivals were the biggest disappointment, there's nothing super distinctive about the hot-spring lot type, and the skiing/rockclimbing/snowboarding felt...I dunno. Just kinda meh? I like so much about the pack, but I wish it was a bit more fleshed out. I suppose that could be said of any of them, but Snowy Escape is the only one that on a pretty regular basis (usually whenever I attend one those lame festivals lol) I find myself STILL sighing in annoyed frustration at how much better it could've been.

Edit: I just realized that I've been put off even TRYING cottage living (only EP I haven't purchased) so maybe I should've picked that one. (Tho now that I look that wasn't even an option? I mean, I haven't tried it so I can't say for sure it's the worst, but it's definitely the one I have the least interest in lol)
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    Get to Work
    It's GTW for me, with its active careers mostly...and how badly done aliens were. I still haven't touched retail, so no comments on that. Snowy Escape would be next, cause I barely use it since everything is world-locked. After that would be Cats + Dogs probably. Most used would be Get Famous, Discover University, and Eco Living - though Cottage Living is climbing the ranks now too! Not sure why others who rotate on DU are having issues, all my sims have A+'s and I play rotationally - I rotate on Sundays after the Starlight Accolades and play for one sim week. I get all their stuff done during the week, have them get their skills up, and then the weekend is theirs. *shrug* Of course, I have yet to do it in a save with aging on, and they generally only have 2 classes per week because they also have a bunch of other duties, including raising children to do.
  • NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    edited October 2021
    Island Living
    Island Living for me. Mersims are only slightly better than plantsims in regards to playability and Sulani magic is very lacking.

The world has the "challenge" to make it pretty, once as it stays the same after your sim's cleaned it, and watch turtles.

I feel the only noteworthy things in Island Living are "odd jobs" and that stuff is pretty: beach lots: pretty but work just like parks, mermaids: pretty fishtails and extremely little gameplay, a house by the beach: it's pretty but that's it...
    Post edited by Nushka on
    Happy simming!
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    Get Together
    Is it bad that I can't decide :sweat_smile:
    I feel like every single one of the eps has disappointed me in some way

and yet every ep has something i really enjoy and wouldn't want to play without

like if there was "yay meh nay" chart i feel like most of them would go in the meh and could instantly be yay with certain updates

that all being said I will just go absolutely no logic and name get together because I have personal feud with the theme of that pack

despite loving the world and the build items and yeah the clubs are useful and yeah theres the games table and such....

I just feel like the fact that get together was not about romance and that dancing didn't include couple dancing and that it basically wasn't sims 4 version of nightlife/ hot date/ late night... is the thing that made me most sad

and I've been ever so bitter and salty since :sweat_smile:

also now i even have the issue of being sad cause sims can't use sea in windenburg to swim and its making me extra bitter whenever i play with it

like with eco lifestyle, university, pets, get to work... I just never got as disappointed because i never expected so much for they weren't related to my favourite themes to begin with so :sweat_smile:

no hate to people who love get together I just remain bitter unless i eventually do get a romance pack... its just taking awful long time to come... and I'm starting to lose hope here :disappointed:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited October 2021
    Island Living
    Island Living was my most anticipated and ultimately my most disappointing EP. It's a pity because the theme had so much potential.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Jokr1929Jokr1929 Posts: 48 Member
    Get Famous
    I feel like they all have some pull, but honestly if thinking about replayability, I've only ever played halfway through Get Famous and never touched it again, along with never really visiting the world during other gameplays.
    Also it's annoying when trying to make a nice wholesome, and not famous, Sim who gets fame point for whatever random mundane task
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited October 2021
    Snowy Escape
    The only one I would think concerns "replayability" at all is Strangerville (and Batuu, but I will never touch that). The others just add stuff to vanilla gameplay.
    Strangerville (And Batuu) is the only pack that has no purpose outside it's story and doesn't add any gameplay elements at all unless you are interested in replaying that story.

Also I like to change my answer. Just as with Jungle Adventure, it turns out I really disliked the idea of Cottage Living but now love it after buying it.
    Which means for expansion packs, my least favorite is definitely Snowy Escape and then Seasons, but I know i am very much an outlier about that.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Cottage Living doesn't add any new gameplay.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Snowy Escape
    Cottage Living doesn't add any new gameplay.

...I think you have to explain that one, because I think we have WILDLY different definitions of "gameplay".
    The game play features involving Farming, Animals, Updated Gardening are all Gameplay.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Cats & Dogs
    Honestly, I hardly ever use pets. I hate that you cannot see the needs of the pet and I really hate that it was limited to cats and dogs. Then to pour salt in the wound, a stuff pack was created to add caged pets that should have been in the expansion. How about they start giving us those pets in a free update like they have been doing with hairs that have already been paid for in stuff packs.