Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Things I wish that were in Cottage Living but aren't but would be nice as Updates or in another pack

redrogue60redrogue60 Posts: 2,053 Member
edited July 2021 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
1. Fairies - In folklore Fairies are from the British Isles traditionally. The general area and theme would have fit them perfectly. Fairies would give a fabulous chance to have inter-pack game play with the Spell casters and Seasons. I can't speak for everyone but I would love for Fairies and Spell-casters to have duels

latest?cb=20151129130441
Fairy-the-sims-3-supernatural-31130644-618-347.jpg
zwuf27H.jpg

2. Fog - Fog is by far one of the most prevalent forms of weather besides rain that happens in the British Isles. You often see fog on the moors in Britain. This would have been a fabulous Seasons Update. A wonderful boost for story telling and so atmospheric. We got a hint at it in the Vampire neighborhood but it would be so amazing as a weather pattern for other places such as the New Orleans based place and this new town

ts3_weatherstone_fog.jpg

3. Actual Grocery Stores - Grocery Stores from the Sims 2 are the fans single favorite for Grocery shopping. Not only can you "gasp" go into the building but actually be picking things from shelves, bins and freezer cases but you can also take your items to an NPC clerk and pay for it. You even saw actual Simoleans change hands. It was an actual lot type with actual hours of operation. Perish the thought that a game that was 2 iterations ago would be superior. You could also call and have the groceries delivered. I'm not sure about Sims 2 but Sims 3 also allowed you to be able to sell the produce you grew actually to the grocery store.

MTS_Dramamine-796732-GroceryStoreinterior.jpg

4. Butterchurn The fact that our new cows are stuck to a building aside it would have been nice to have had a functional, complementary item to turn the milk of our lovely bovines into butter. Making butter would have been a perfect compliment to this pack given the circumstances. Too bad it was for naught.

49e3bd7fd3ac24497549fcdcf0202f2f.gif
adf76e82e02e51dd4ff15161b356bbfd.jpg
fa6aa78b3ce6d733670f615384af9083.jpg

5. The Spinning Wheel - The Spinning wheel was from all the way back in Sims 1. It was a Making Magic piece that even allowed Sims to create the Golden Thread magical ingredient among other things. Personally I think it would have been a great compliment to the Llama wool and fit into the overall theme.

MTS_dragonarts-668914-SpinningWheelSkillinGame.jpg

6. Pool Tables - How I miss this item. What a missed opportunity given we will be having Pubs in Country Living and it is a request I see several times per week. What a wonderful way to learn a bit more about Billiards in general. It would also be a fun hidden skill. What a way to really add a bit more fun to all of the Dive bars and Pubs
  1. Trick Shots
  2. 2 main types of games Billiards and Pocket Billiards
  3. Pocket Billiards has 3 main types of games 8-Ball & 9-Ball, Snooker
  4. 3 types of tables - Pocket-less, Pool & Snooker
  5. Pocketless has several games styles

6bddef654ff72f2498c4c81ad391bbbc.jpg
638.jpg

7. Deer & Skunk as wild animals - Whats not to love about this. We will already have Thumper but why not Bambi and Flower

MTS_bubbleeye-419769-fawn3.jpg
Cannibal-Deer-the-sims-3-37370392-1024-768.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

8. Update the Birdbath the Birdbath in Sims 4 is an object that has no objective use. You can place it in a garden but you nothing else you can do with it. I contend that the object itself is cute but it would be nice to have a few interactions to make it feel more alive. If a modder can do this...
  • Add Water
  • Empty Water
  • Clean
  • View Birds

https://youtu.be/UL_6nhWDcu4

9. Update the Grandfather Clock, and add Bell Towers - I am not sure that anyone is like me but I like ambiance sounds. I think it makes things feel more alive. I was disappointed when the Grandfather clocks lost their interactions (The Cuckoo clock too). I contend that sound affects are a huge thing in the Sims and frankly I'd like to see these interactions back. I don't like having objects that could have use beyond just to look at have no use at all.
  • Look at the Time
  • Wind Clock
  • Dust Clock
  • Choose Chime

Chimes
  • Westminster
  • Ode to Joy
  • Ave Maria
  • Whittington
  • St. Michael's

https://youtu.be/nj3hJ1OrLTw

Bell Tower build pieces would have given us the actual bells and bell ringing. Bell Ringing is an actual pastime in Great Britain

https://youtu.be/4T7wQ3cuUhc

Chimes of Big Ben

https://youtu.be/wqslA_CKub8

10. Apple Bobbing Apple bobbing was a wonderful addition to the Sims 3 Seasons. It was featured in the Autumn Festival as one of the activities Sims were able to take part in besides Pie eating, Face painting and the Haunted House. This would have been a nice addition as it was an oversight in the Halloween pack. Perhaps this could be a Halloween/ Fair Kit along with the Face Painting, Kissing Booth and the Food Eating Contest Table.

YRmMie3.png

11. Garden Judging Now I know that there is a Garden Club in the Sims 4 already. What we don't have is independent Garden Judges where you can win a prize. In Sims 2 we called on the phone and asked the Judges to come by and they come over and inspect the garden. If they judged your garden well you win a prize.

Get-Wishing-Well-in-Sims-2-Seasons-Step-7.jpg
“All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.” Terry Pratchett
Post edited by redrogue60 on

Comments

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited July 2021
    While I do really want fairies, I 100% believe they need their own pack. Every "included" occult is not developed enough for me. They all look good, of course (it's 4), but there is so much more that could be done with aliens or mermaids.

Totally with you for skunks and deer. They seem super fitting for Cottage Living. Plus the old trouble making raccoons would be perfect. Probably ran out of space.

I would've preferred a spinning wheel or butter churn and accompanying skills more than cross stitching. I know they are different, but I got more than enough crafting like that from Knitting Stuff. So I was pretty disappointed with that being the new skill.

Fog would be 100% welcome! I doubt they'd do it, but I'd love a Seasons update. If not, it needs to be integrated with Seasons. As in, no Snowy Escape snow depth. Fog shouldn't be limited to one world and should be a phenomenon that happens anywhere just so long as you have the pack that includes it.

Bird bathes could be a feasible update. They may even surprise us in the livestream with the wild birds.
  • redrogue60redrogue60 Posts: 2,053 Member
    edited July 2021
    Calico45 wrote: »
    While I do really want fairies, I 100% believe they need their own pack. Every "included" occult is not developed enough for me. They all look good, of course (it's 4), but there is so much more that could be done with aliens or mermaids.

Totally with you for skunks and deer. They seem super fitting for Cottage Living. Plus the old trouble making raccoons would be perfect. Probably ran out of space.

I would've preferred a spinning wheel or butter churn and accompanying skills more than cross stitching. I know they are different, but I got more than enough crafting like that from Knitting Stuff. So I was pretty disappointed with that being the new skill.

Fog would be 100% welcome! I doubt they'd do it, but I'd love a Seasons update. If not, it needs to be integrated with Seasons. As in, no Snowy Escape snow depth. Fog shouldn't be limited to one world and should be a phenomenon that happens anywhere just so long as you have the pack that includes it.

Bird bathes could be a feasible update. They may even surprise us in the livestream with the wild birds.

To be honest I actually agree with you on the fairies. I think if they concentrated on them they would be a superior creature and it would give the Devs room to help out the Spell casters as well and give them a foil. I figured if they had Fairies then it would give one of the Hidden Lots more to do too.

I'm cool with the cross stitching for the most part. I just think that a few extra complimentary items would have been a good fit here.

That was 100% my thoughts on fog. I just want it as a Seasons update. Something that would appear in all appropriate areas at appropriate times.

• desnpdesnp Posts: 29 Member
    fairies would be insanely cool as a separate game pack, but if they were to do them i'd hope they did it more in depth then how they've done other occult groups or it would be a waste of a pack. aliens and mermaids feel to me as a small side thing and they could've done way more with them. the only occult group I've felt was done really well was vampires, it's in depth and can be used multiple times unlike aliens and mermaids.

i don't see why they didn't add grocery stores in cottage living!! so frustrating. they were so close with the markets and things, i don't understand why they didn't add them even just as a rabbit hole. I'm extremely excited for being able to buy actual ingredients for the sims meals as it adds a bit of realism to the game.

fog should've definitely been added in the original seasons expansion, it seems like such a small thing that was just forgotten in the creation of the seasons expansion pack.
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited July 2021
    Yes! I literally agree with everything on this list!
    Also I would have loved to see Werewolves... Maybe we could get a Fairies & Werewolves Expansion Pack?
    Werewolf-Supernatural.jpg
    670px-TS3SN-promo11.jpg

And other occults like actual PlantSims and Golems (from Sims Medieval)
    screenshot_original.jpg
    a256aFi.gif
  • MichelleWMichelleW Posts: 665 Member
    I love the idea of fog!
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited July 2021
    I like the idea of having fog, it would suit Brindleton Bay as well, but I'm worried about the game's performance. Weather effects like rain and fog often reduces the framerate for me.

A garden contest sounds pretty interesting too, it would encourage me to build more gardens. But I'm not sure how the judging would work.

I like the idea of grocery stores too, it would be nice to be able to travel to another lot and be able to buy ingredients. I use a mod from bienchen which allows me to buy ingredients and other things through the phone.

I'm not so sure about the other stuff, they probably would not have fit in the EP, maybe we will see them in future packs, I know fairies and pool tables are things that people want a lot. Hopefully we will still have fun with the other activities like crocheting and taking care of the animals.
    desnp wrote: »
    fairies would be insanely cool as a separate game pack, but if they were to do them i'd hope they did it more in depth then how they've done other occult groups or it would be a waste of a pack. aliens and mermaids feel to me as a small side thing and they could've done way more with them. the only occult group I've felt was done really well was vampires, it's in depth and can be used multiple times unlike aliens and mermaids.

i don't see why they didn't add grocery stores in cottage living!! so frustrating. they were so close with the markets and things, i don't understand why they didn't add them even just as a rabbit hole. I'm extremely excited for being able to buy actual ingredients for the sims meals as it adds a bit of realism to the game.

fog should've definitely been added in the original seasons expansion, it seems like such a small thing that was just forgotten in the creation of the seasons expansion pack.

I feel like this is a reoccurring theme for them. They start with a great idea do some pretty decent work and then trip just before the finish line.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I would have loved Pigs, over llamas. Glad we have cows, and chickens, but even still, Pigs had priority over Llamas and Chickens.
    I wish that stupid barn didn't exist tho, I hope we can mod it out. I wish Wine Making and Ale was a thing. again, I like that we can mass harvest crops, and actually have a reason to now... but It would have made sense...

Well here's to another Game pack/Expansion on the topic of farming. 🍻
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
    edited July 2021
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    I would have loved Pigs, over llamas. Glad we have cows, and chickens, but even still, Pigs had priority over Llamas and Chickens.
    I wish that stupid barn didn't exist tho, I hope we can mod it out. I wish Wine Making and Ale was a thing. again, I like that we can mass harvest crops, and actually have a reason to now... but It would have made sense...

Well here's to another Game pack/Expansion on the topic of farming. 🍻

I guess I know why they selected llamas for this pack as the llama is a Sims feature since Sims 1, but they would have been a better pick for the Jungle Adventure since Llamas are native to South America. Country Living is basically patterned after the Cotswolds and they are famous for the raising of sheep for wool. The llamas are standing in for the sheep which I don't like.

The way I look at things is that when you introduce a new area especially when its created to resemble a certain area it best to have a few things that helps the immersion into the place.
    • The general look of the place and the general terrain
    • The Architecture native to the area
    • The Climate of the area including - Temperature, Seasonal changes, Typical Weather Patterns
    • The typical Attire of the Natives
    • The key animals you would typically find
    • The sounds and ambiance. For example if you are in an area that has ocean and gets fog you'd hear fog horns. Or if you are in a dessert area you might hear a buzzard. A small village would likely hear bells from a town clock or from a church Belfry. A windy place should be breezy

If they had wanted to introduce the Llama in the flesh it would have been better for them to have been in Jungle Adventure and given us Cows, Chickens & Sheep in Cottage Living. Best of both Worlds in my opinion even though they produce a similar product, in this case wool. Now I know that some people would complain because the sheep would be of little difference from the Llama and some would inevitably complain, because they have little better to do that to whine about everything without giving a constructive idea in return. So here is my constructive idea. If I were making decisions I'd simply add a few distinguishing differences between the Llama and Sheep in terms of movement and interactions. I'd then make the "barn" hold two sheep instead of one so that we could get a lamb now and then. They grow up a bit and then you sell them off, in the meantime you get lamb cuteness. Then I'd add the pigs you mentioned in Cottage Living to even things out a bit along with a pig pen.

I'm hoping that any zone that they introduce Wineries (Nectaries) would add Horses to that pack like the Fredericksburg, Texas area. They have both horses and wineries there. Plus the interesting melange of German Food and culture in the center of Texas.
  • DarkxArtemisDarkxArtemis Posts: 5 New Member
    An update I would like would be a change to the traits potion. It would be nice if it included the chance to remove aspiration traits. I didn't think about how frustrating the frugal trait was on gameplay and it's completely ruining a sim I'm working on.
  • AlHusainAlHusain Posts: 5 New Member
    I agree with 2,3,6 & 8 and don't care about the others.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Fog would be a great update especially in worlds like Brindleton Bay, Windenburg and probably Willow Creek at times. I agree the HoB would probably also be a setting for it. The old "London Fog" turned out to mostly be industrial pollution.

For other things I would like, I think they have added a lot but, sure, I'd take a butterchurn. Horses are obvious as are sheep. Vineyards - probably for a different setting than HoB. We could also get some items related to Shakespeare because that's a great setting for it. Maybe an old-fashioned writing desk? I think of writers going out into the country.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    Ok I love the butter churn and spinning wheel and stuff. Oh my sim, fairies. Let me tell you, I made a long behind post some 3-4 years ago about all the occults I wanted to see in this game. I'm pretty sure the only one we got was mermaids and I'm pretty sure I had way more in depth stuff to say about mermaids. I've like given up on expecting them to deliver on occults. They seem to be focusing instead on releasing things from packs we paid for, and putting them into base game. https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/947085/ideas-for-a-new-supes-pack#latest

That's the link to all my ideas on fairies and the like. I just reread like the first paragraph, it's been 4 years and I still can't get my sims to recognize great-grandparents... :| what on earth.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush: