Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Move Autonomy options to main UI.

Just a QoL thing really. It would be handy to be able to select autonomy options in the main UI. I find it pretty immersion breaking having to go into the full options dialogue every time you want fine grained control.
Awake.
Shake dreams from your hair
My pretty child, my sweet one.
Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
The day's divinity....
The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison

Comments

• LquinnLquinn Posts: 385 Member
    Are you saying the two option menus are not the same?
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I am not 100% here, but I am assume you want it to be available like time speeds. I find it accessible enough as is, personally, since I do not really flip flop with autonomy options, but I imagine it is something best implemented mechanically while paused.
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited June 2021
    Lquinn wrote: »
    Are you saying the two option menus are not the same?

To change autonomy settings, you have to select the three dots, top right and then game options. You can then choose to toggle autonomy for the currently selected sim or full and no autonomy at all.

Be nice if those options could be selected from a pop up menu while the game is running and active - perhaps an icon for it could fit next to the phone.
    Post edited by ModerateOsprey on
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
    Calico45 wrote: »
    I am not 100% here, but I am assume you want it to be available like time speeds. I find it accessible enough as is, personally, since I do not really flip flop with autonomy options, but I imagine it is something best implemented mechanically while paused.

Yes, that's right - somewhere on that bottom bar.

For example, I had a situation this evening where I had two sims talking and everything was going really well and I was letting the sims chat away with autonomy for selected sim set to enabled. I took my eyes of the screen for a split second and my sim had dropped the conversation and was half way up the stairs aiming for a game of blikblok!

On occasions like those I would like to be able to toggle autonomy off so they stay put and i can input commands without having to play a minigame of whack-a-mole involving watch the input queue and cancelling actions. I usually end up playing the cancel action minigame as going all the way into the options is a bit laborious and interrupts the game flow.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I really like this suggestion. I always play with autonomy on, but there are times when I just want them to stay put and focus on what’s going on. It hasn’t occurred to me to toggle it during gameplay according to what they’re doing. “Out of sight, out of mind” - it would be so convenient to have access to it right in the UI for each sim. Great idea.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2021
    Move it to the Sim, right click on Sim turn off or on. Solved. ETA: However, this doesn't mean it works, just like when it's off they still get up an move. :s
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Mizzila1297Mizzila1297 Posts: 620 Member
    I feel like this could be a good addition, but I feel like instead of it being on the actual UI bar, it should be in the quick-menu when you click on your active Sim, instead. Less clutter, less likely to accidentally enable/disable it... They could also add a hotkey shortcut, like how you hit "R" to open the relationship panel. So, you could toggle it on/off by hitting that key.

They could also add a tiny icon next to or above your Sim when it's disabled (if disabled through the hotkey/quick-menu), sort of like how they do group icons above your Sims. It would definitely need to be easy to tell if autonomy was on or off, otherwise it'd be really annoying and tricky using a hot key or the quick menu to change that setting altogether... Maybe they could do something around the plumbob above your selected Sim, like they do for vampires and spellcasters? Like even a faded ring around it (so you can still see the spellcaster/vampire plumbob) just to show autonomy is off for that Sim.

It would have to be pulled off well haha
    edited July 2021
    Its nice to see others supporting the idea :)

As ever asking for stuff in a video game is always a bit of a shot in the dark, but if you don't ask....

As for UI placement I would be happy with any of the above suggestions. The only reason I suggested the bottom left close to the portrait was because, even though the game is not an RPG, that is often the placement for an AI toggle in games such as Pillars of Eternity or Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

I'd be happy just not have to go into the game options. That is sort of thing I do to set up the technical aspects of the game and I don't really want to look in there ever again.

If by some chance this has been seen and acted upon, could you pop the aging options on the UI as well, please? :)
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • simplyzoesimplyzoe Posts: 428 Member
    This is a good idea and the whole control panel needs trimmed and rearranged, so looking at the options since the game has evolved so much would be good also.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I wouldn't mind this at all actually. And in addition I would love love to right click autonomy on and off for at least two sims instead of just one. Usually I only want to control two or 3 sims and let the rest do their thing for background company. But no way to do that. It's all or nothing...
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(