Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So, you build a beautiful house...

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Mailboxes. I usually build from floor plans, so all the rooms are laid out for me, but floor plans don't include things like mailboxes! I'm on my own to remember it.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'll usually build most of the house then start playing and finish it as I go. The same goes for fully furnishing it. I'll start with the necessities and then add the extras later.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    derevaun wrote: »
    You're in good company--Louis XIV built the Versailles palace with no bathrooms, and it's pretty nice.

Both yes and no. They didn't have fully equipped bathrooms per se, but keep in mind that it was the 17th-18th century. Plumbing and electricity were not really a thing just yet. (Electricity especially) And they used basically big pots to do their business. No plumbing, just a big bucket called a chamber pot. Toilets as we may loosely define them today were only added after Louis XIV's death (1714) in 1768.

I just felt like clearing that up, as I do study European history as a pastime and have done my research into France and Versailles Court.

Back on topic, I once forgot stairs in my build.
  • Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited June 2021
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    SnowBnuuy wrote: »
    Oh, I forget necessary house stuff all the time. I get more excited about decorating that I forget the necessities. It doesn't matter though. Doors, toilets and fridges are overrated anyway. But hey, at least there are lots of lovely houseplants!

I think this is what I did. I got so in to making the house pretty and cozy looking that I forgot there were basic human/sim needs that had to be met :p

Haha, I can relate to that : p
    Although this thread is specifically about accidents, it does also remind me of my Bustin’ Out days when I played as a child, where I’d purposefully just build a square with no windows, doors, bins or toilets, and lock the family inside...
    EDIT: Whoever voted this as Insightful, I'm glad you approve of my digital cruelty : P I love this side of the discussion corner.

Post edited by SnowBnuuy on
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,565 Member
    I have forgotten to add lights to rooms and only notice this after the sun goes down in the game and I realize lights aren't popping on as my Sims move about the premises. :open_mouth: Other times it's something seemingly small that I forget to add. I'm always tweaking a build as I play the family. But, I think the lights are the things I accidentally omit more often than other inconsequential matters.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    You lost me at "So you build a beautiful house"---I've never done that lol

But seriously, I've forgotten things multiple times. Never anything quite as bad as forgetting a bathroom, but I've forgotten to give them stuff like a kitchen sink or an inside trash can. I kept wondering why they kept going outside to dump stuff in the trash, and then it hit me---DOH! lol
  • Options
    Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,969 Member
    Mostly it’s smoke or burglar alarms (in Sims 2 or 3), and lights too.
    Actually I just remembered something else… external wall coverings. But that’s probably because I’m not much of a builder (I’m not much of an interior designer or architect, and I always just want to start playing with the family so there’s impatience too) and I just think “as long as I’ve placed everything inside, I’m done”. I mostly play with the walls down, only putting them up for screenshots.
  • Options
    ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    Well, I have never built a "beautiful house" since I'm completely hopeless at building but anyhow...
    I don't think I have ever really forgotten anything essential but I constantly forget roofs and I also forget to remove them if I do changes to the layout, then have these nice floating roofs which I notice embarrassingly late.
    I did have one intentional case in which I was running out of room to expand and was so lazy I just threw one of those pre-built rooms (or whatever you call them) in the basement and stuck their new baby in there lol. Then my vampire just teleported in and out when needed since nobody else in the family could do anything. Though later I actually bothered to build a staircase.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,565 Member
    You lost me at "So you build a beautiful house"---I've never done that lol

But seriously, I've forgotten things multiple times. Never anything quite as bad as forgetting a bathroom, but I've forgotten to give them stuff like a kitchen sink or an inside trash can. I kept wondering why they kept going outside to dump stuff in the trash, and then it hit me---DOH! lol

Oh, I did that once and failed to notice until after I made it a rental and had the couple 'move-in', as it were. Found out the hard way you can't go into build/buy mode in a rental while it's occupied …
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    You build the best house, in your opinion, that you've ever built. Its beautifully decorated, well laid out, comfy, cozy and you are certain your sims will thrive there. You hit the "Live Mode" button and discover.... You forgot to build a bathroom! How could I forget the bathroom? LOL

Its so sad and so funny at the same time. My sims are all standing around doing the peepee dance and I'm thinking, "just go to the..." "OH."

Have you ever forgotten something vitally important in your builds? If so, what was it? I'm curious if anyone else is super forgetful like me :p

Did this exact thing. I built a lovely 4 bedroom house that was in my estimation perfect. Until I realized there were no bathrooms. I almost cried.
  • Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    So far I've never built a house from the ground up. But I have had problems like this a few times in houses from the gallery.

Either a given room is missing, so some critical item cannot be reached by sims - like a toilet or bed being blocked by clutter or placed in a room so small sim's can't use it.

There's quite a few high popularity builders that don't seem to test the things they upload.

And in editing a house, I have managed to do the same - wall off something and then not notice for a long time because it was in a house that was not 'active'. The neighbor of the sim in my profile image had a bed that could not be used - in a house I had rebuilt from an original download. I didn't know this for a month or two. Day before yesterday I had my sim visit her 'new neighbor' (that had been there for a while), and I tried to have them sit on the bed and talk and got that little Exclamation and feet bubble... Somehow a laundry basket was blocking the path.

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Lord I'm continually forgetting lights! When I build now, I'll switch the sun/moon around to night to see if I'd forgotten any lights, lol.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    Pool ladders, I never remember pool ladders. I tend to forget smoke detectors a lot as well... not that they prevent my Sim from catching on fire
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I just moved my aged up YAs into a made-over lot - I'd forgotten to put any lighting into one en-suite bath, and had deleted the kitchen trash can and forgot to replace it. It's always something!
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member

Ok. For me, I often forget the thermostat/ smoke detector/ fire suppression system (though not much any more), attic gear (for decorations), the "outside" trash can (I've tested this and although the apartment trash chute works for trash, it doesn't count as an "outside trash can" on a non-apartment lot), but mainly having holes in the ceiling so lights don't come on.

Like @GalacticGal said, forgetting lights sometimes, but really the main issue I've found is a TINY hole in the ceiling somewhere. This "hole" in the ceiling, even if you have a roof over it, let's weather effects go inside also.

As for a castle toilet, it was generally like this:
    :s:D

i0TdciK.jpg

Of course there were the inside 'chute' kind also. ;)

have-fun-storming-the-castle.jpg
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png