Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So what DO roommates actually do?

TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
So I'm building some spaceships for self contained lot (as in sims never leave spaceship/home lot during their travels) and for larger ships I picture it having large amount of sims on board but I will only control like 4-6 (allowing for kids, ect). So my solution was to use the Sims 4 "roommate" mechanic to fill up the ship and specifically by using a mod that "lets you chose" your roommates thats the only roommate mod I know off.

As I'm not very familiar with the Sims 4 roommate system so my question is - how do roommates act within a home?

Maybe just a yes and no to these questions and any suggestions how to make them be more "alive" if needed.

Do they,

die?
age?
eat?
flirt?
woohoo with your sims?
woohoo with other roommates?
use items on lot based on their traits/disklikes, ect?
do they just eat sleep and talk?
can they get married?
get pregnant?
can u date them?
do they cook?
do they leave for good after x amount of days?

anything else?

And is there any mods u recommend to improve roommate behavior?

thanks

Comments

• somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    edited June 2021
    Yes, they can age and die, they eat of course and sleep. They flirt sometimes and can serenade your sims and other roommates, but they don't woohoo (unless you have a certain adult mod for that). If they get pregnant, they move out, but you can date them. Not sure about marriage (but I think it's possible).
    In my experience they use objects based on their traits (I had an active roommate who was constantly playing basketball), and it's actually better to have some hobby/skill-building items, otherwise they can get bored and move out. They can also move out because their needs are too low, and sometimes there is nothing wrong with the house, roommates are just acting stupid and refusing to take care of themselves.
    They do cook, but they have an obsession with white cakes I think... At least it was a thing a year ago. And they can bring food from nowhere.
    Actually, roommate sims have a certain bunch of hidden traits that determine their behavior.
    ROOMMATE
    trait_RoommateNPC_Archetype_Breaker
    trait_RoommateNPC_Archetype_Cheerleader
    trait_RoommateNPC_Archetype_ClingySocialite
    trait_RoommateNPC_Archetype_CouchPotato
    trait_RoommateNPC_Archetype_EmoLoner
    trait_RoommateNPC_Archetype_Fixer
    trait_RoommateNPC_Archetype_LoudMusic
    trait_RoommateNPC_Archetype_Mealmaker
    trait_RoommateNPC_Archetype_PartyPlanner
    trait_RoommateNPC_Archetype_SuperNeat
    trait_RoommateNPC_Interest_Art
    trait_RoommateNPC_Interest_Baking
    trait_RoommateNPC_Interest_Computers
    trait_RoommateNPC_Interest_Fitness
    trait_RoommateNPC_Interest_Music
    trait_RoommateNPC_Quirk_Absent
    trait_RoommateNPC_Quirk_BathroomHog
    trait_RoommateNPC_Quirk_BigCloset
    trait_RoommateNPC_Quirk_LateOnRent
    trait_RoommateNPC_Quirk_Prankster
    trait_RoommateNPC_Quirk_PublicAffectionDisplayer
    trait_RoommateNPC_Standard
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/comment/17312724/#Comment_17312724

As for mods, I can recommend littlemssam's Choose Your Roommate, it doesn't change their behavior, but makes a process of choosing one easier. Also it can increase a roommate cap to 20 I think.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,963 Member
    My roommate kept baking white cakes….. lol.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Roommates are nothing but a pain in the posterior!
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Err, I have a character who dated two of her roommates and WooHoo was definitely an option. The first roommate moved out randomly afterward and had the noncommittal trait so I just said that it didn't work out. The second one is now playable in a romantic relationship with that sim. It is good to know that randomly moving out may just mean that the sim isn't meeting their needs. You also interview roommates and decide who stays.

I just consider it a feature. I haven't used it that much but it is good to have there in case you want that. They pay rent as well. If you have a spare room with a bed, you can add a roommate. I only use it with specific households. I have also made my own playable roommates which I've sometimes done if someone was having a hard time finding love.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    Pay rent, complain about not having their needs met (easy fix for it though), invite friends over and bake white cake... lots of white cake.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    They also mention about leaving space around their bed to place their stuff down, but I've never played with them outside of university housing/dorms so not sure how this plays out in residential lots.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I had an idea for Paranormal which involved filling up a haunted house with roommates, letting the ghostly goings-on get out of control and seeing how many would leave.

In the end I opted out of buying the pack.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    One of my room mates used to leave passive aggressive notes behind in her room about me not visiting her room while she was away. She used to serenade my sim a lot but my sim had no time for such shenanigans. Rent is rent and my sim was not swinging that way anyway. :lol: She eventually left because her needs were not met. Now the house is bigger and there are three new room mates. I can tell the male is into fitness, piano playing, and is a slob, he leaves dirty plates everywhere. I can direct them to help with cleaning and the ladies do help out. No white cakes so far, but one of them did cook dinner once.
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    They also mention about leaving space around their bed to place their stuff down, but I've never played with them outside of university housing/dorms so not sure how this plays out in residential lots.

It plays even better in residential lots. When my sim was in Uni, he didn't love or hate his roommates but the family mentioned below is a completely different story. I've also had many roommates in many households in many saves and enjoyed them much more than the ones at Uni.
    crocobaura wrote: »
    One of my room mates used to leave passive aggressive notes behind in her room about me not visiting her room while she was away. She used to serenade my sim a lot but my sim had no time for such shenanigans. Rent is rent and my sim was not swinging that way anyway. :lol: She eventually left because her needs were not met. Now the house is bigger and there are three new room mates. I can tell the male is into fitness, piano playing, and is a slob, he leaves dirty plates everywhere. I can direct them to help with cleaning and the ladies do help out. No white cakes so far, but one of them did cook dinner once.

My roommate in the family I'm playing now is the father of the toddler twins of my main sim (probably why my main sim's wife left him), things got a bit out of control. Anyway, I saw him one time at the climbing wall but never saw him climb it. I've found numerous white cakes started be few actually completed. I usually have my sim just throw them all away since we don't get that "wasting food" moodlet in Sims 4.

He's never left a passive aggressive note (other roommates in other households loved to leave them) but he has twice said that his needs were not being met. The first time was after I assigned him to my main sim's bed when the wife left with the father of her second child. When he complained, I assigned him back to the bottom bunk in my sim's eldest son's room (an alien child from abduction) and he was happy again.

Later, he complained again that his needs weren't being met (by the way, he's a merman and we live in Willow Creek so yeah talk about needs not being met). I assigned him to the bottom bunk in my sim's daughter's (the only child he shares with his wife) room. I immediately reassigned him to the bottom bunk in the boy's room and his needs were once again met.

So it appears to me that if they complain about their needs, play a bit of musical beds and they'll reset.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    They just exist as any other sim would if you visited their house basically. Sometimes they'll help out with housework and do useful things, other times they won't.
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Err, I have a character who dated two of her roommates and WooHoo was definitely an option.
    Yes, woohoo is an option of course, they just won't woohoo on their own (I don't think). Maybe if you make some of your roommates couples they will woohoo autonomously, I'm not sure. I rarely see autonomous woohoo in the game.

somewhsome wrote: »
    Err, I have a character who dated two of her roommates and WooHoo was definitely an option.
    Yes, woohoo is an option of course, they just won't woohoo on their own (I don't think). Maybe if you make some of your roommates couples they will woohoo autonomously, I'm not sure. I rarely see autonomous woohoo in the game.

have you tried "talking up sim" between the two to see if that encourages them to visit the local dumpster? How romantic?!?!
  • BK747BK747 Posts: 174 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    Roommates are nothing but a pain in the posterior!

Agreed!

OP - unless you are looking to add a horrific violin soundtrack to your spaceship, I’d pass on inviting them aboard!
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    Thanks for all your responses, does anybody know if you can select roommates beds like you can household sims? Basically so i can give each roommate his own "cabin" on the ship?
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    I have a question about roommates. I have a Snow White & her 7 Children household. Now, I'm attempting my 1st Legacy Challenge with her youngest child that will be her heir. I have made sure her children have assigned beds & made her two eldest children roommates. My question is, how many roommates can I have?
  • BK747BK747 Posts: 174 Member
    Yes, you can assign beds to roommates just the same as you would to household members.
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I have a question about roommates. I have a Snow White & her 7 Children household. Now, I'm attempting my 1st Legacy Challenge with her youngest child that will be her heir. I have made sure her children have assigned beds & made her two eldest children roommates. My question is, how many roommates can I have?

Roommates act as household member count, so if u have 6 sims than u can only have 2 roommates. However their are some basic mods that have been around since forever to increase household limit that also allows you to have more roommates (since its increasing hte household limit which in turn increases how many roommates u can have)