Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Maxis, what's the real reason for these tiny worlds?

Just give us an honest answer cause I don't understand it. They used to say it was because of the 32bits but now it's 64bits, so what's the real reason? Plus they said the new world coming with Cottage Living has something like 12-13 lots, which is only one more than Del Sol Valley. A country world with this little space, this is scandalous and I'm tired of it. So what is the real reason?
Lu4ERme.gif

Comments

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    To make you buy more DLC. That's it, no question.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Honestly, while it seems cynical, I believe it. Although it isn't necessarily malicious either. A choice was made in favor of smaller worlds to stretch the game, if you will. Sure, they could do bigger worlds. They just would not be able to fit as many into the game for both time, performance, etc. reasons. This isn't necessarily the wrong choice either. There is a real argument to be had for both sides.

So, the simplest answer is they made a choice.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,717 Member
    edited June 2021
    From what I understand, the game removes everything when you travel from one zone (neighborhood) to another so the number of neighborhoods in a world shouldn’t matter, you only play in one neighborhood at a time anyway and it doesn’t matter which world you are in anyway.

What probably matters are the number of lots and objects in a neighborhood. The game loads all lots in a neighborhood even if you can only visit one lot, the active lot. And there are a lot of objects on a lot that the game has to render.

So unless there is some other reason like Maxis being worried that the game will have too many lots and sims when sims 5 comes around I think they didnt want to make a fourth neighborhood in Cottage Living because of budget restricions.

I think they should raise their budget. Only three neighborhoods in an EP world should not be the standard.
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    edited June 2021
    Hardware. Many simmers play sims on laptops. When sims 4 was released, laptops weren't as good as now. Selvadorada is semi open world, I ran it on my old laptop from 2012, 8gb ram and it stuttered constantly. It's now running nicely on my new laptop with 16gb. Laptops are beter now than back then, so worlds can get bigger.
    Resources. More gameplay, smaller worlds and vice versa. Del Sol :'( Sulani. Eco Living has big gameplay content and world., that's great pack.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Wolfium wrote: »
    Hardware. Many simmers play sims on laptops. When sims 4 was released, laptops weren't as good as now. Selvadorada is semi open world, I ran it on my old laptop from 2012, 8gb ram and it stuttered constantly. It's now running nicely on my new laptop with 16gb. Laptops are beter now than back then, so worlds can get bigger.
    Resources. More gameplay, smaller worlds and vice versa. Del Sol :'( Sulani. Eco Living has big gameplay content and world., that's great pack.

I don't see the Eco Living's world as a big world but anyway.. :joy: And yeah I don't think the laptop situation and that many simmers don't have good PCs is a valid reason, I don't ever remember EA thinking about the wellness of its customers since a LONG time.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member

I don't see the Eco Living's world as a big world but anyway.. :joy: And yeah I don't think the laptop situation and that many simmers don't have good PCs is a valid reason, I don't ever remember EA thinking about the wellness of its customers since a LONG time.

Eco Living's world is by scale big, my sim streaks forever there, and it's good place to ride bike.
    EA thinks about its profit and that means shipping game to as many players as possible.

Eco Living's world is by scale big, my sim streaks forever there, and it's good place to ride bike.
    EA thinks about its profit and that means shipping game to as many players as possible.

Well the number of lots is very underwhelming in this pack.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    edited June 2021
    Because the worlds are all tied in one single save as it was in The Sims 1 and The Sims Online with the neighborhoods.

One big world per save like in both The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 is a much better concept. We only wanted the ability to change from world to each other without losing progress and relationships, nothing more.

Having all the worlds combined is bad because of restrictions!

Expansions barely expand because things like apartments, beaches, mountains are tied to one or two places. In both TS2 and TS3 things like that would have to be designed to be applied to every world.

Sims from one place working on another or going on public lots kills the immersion.

The ammount of set dressing is overwhelming and bad to creativity. I hate when a build or landscape doesn't match the world so when it's time to build the options become restrictive.

Also because of that we missed editing the worlds, create our own worlds, 3D maps, transportation, etc...

The world system is one of the worst things in The Sims 4!
    Post edited by Renato10 on
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited June 2021
    Renato10 wrote: »
    Because the worlds are all tied in one single save as it was in The Sims 1 and The Sims Online with the neighborhoods.

One big world per save like in both The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 is a much better concept. We only wanted the ability to change from world to each other without losing progress and relationships, nothing more.

Expansions barely expand because things like apartments, beaches, mountains are tied to one or two places. In both TS2 and TS3 things like that would have to be designed to be applied to every world.

Sims from one place working on another or going on public lots kills the immersion.

The ammount of set dressing is overwhelming and bad to creativity. I hate when a build or landscape doesn't match the world so when it's time to build the options become restrictive.

Also because of that we missed editing the worlds, create our own worlds, 3D maps, transportation, etc...

Every single point you made is exactly how I feel! It's no longer "Play with Life" .... It's "Play in Our World"! I so want to destroy those dumb--A$$ set dressings and fake houses. If I could blow them up I would have on day 1!

They have taken so much creativity in this iteration away from the players, CAS might be better than the other games to a degree, but the worlds? Not even close in my opinion! They may look nice, but that's all there is, you can't change it to PLAY YOUR WAY.
    Post edited by Chicklet453681 on
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2021
    Renato10 wrote: »

Every single point you made is exactly how I feel! It's no longer "Play with Life" .... It's "Play in Our World"! I so want to destroy those dumb--A$$ set dressings and fake houses. If I could blow them up I would have on day 1!

They have taken so much creativity in this iteration away from the players, CAS might be better than the other games to a degree, but the worlds? Not even close in my opinion! They may look nice, but that's all there is, you can't change it to PLAY YOUR WAY.

"They have taken so much creativity in this iteration away from the players" this right here is so true. I feel EA/Maxis is controlling the creativity level. They took that feature so they can turn that feature into profits and it had nothing to do with specs Imo. So sad what has happened to the Sims series. :(
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    They need to just make all worlds with 20 lots, no smaller.
  • MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited June 2021
    5 is small. 4 is tiny. 10 is moderately small, 12 is adequate. I personally disagree with the pushback against size in worlds, as they're not that small. Forgotten Hollow has 5. Magnolia Promenade has 4. 12 is massive compared to that. Literally 3 times the size of Magnolia Promenade.
    MyriadSims wrote: »
    5 is small. 4 is tiny. 10 is moderately small, 12 is adequate. I personally disagree with the pushback against size in worlds, as they're not that small. Forgotten Hollow has 5. Magnolia Promenade has 4. 12 is massive compared to that. Literally 3 times the size of Magnolia Promenade.

How can you tell 12 is adequate?? Adequate for me is 17 (if I'm being nice). 20 lots should be the bare minimum that's it.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,717 Member

I prefer four or more neighborhoods if I want to play in the world for a while... One starter neighborhood, one for the middle class, one for the upper class, and one neighborhood for commercial lots. One of my favorite things to do is to start in a starter and work my way up to being able to move to bigger houses.
    edited June 2021
    logion wrote: »

I prefer four or more neighborhoods if I want to play in the world for a while... One starter neighborhood, one for the middle class, one for the upper class, and one neighborhood for commercial lots. One of my favorite things to do is to start in a starter and work my way up to being able to move to bigger houses.

That's exactly how I play my game! For example, I can't do that with Del Sol Valley (which is a world considered adequate for @MyriadSims ) because the gap between wealthy area and starter homes is to big. There should have been a beach area which represents middle class.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • simplyzoesimplyzoe Posts: 428 Member
    I'm desperately trying to only have 2-3 families I play in each neighborhood but even with saying that the lack of different lot sizes and lack of residential lots trips me up when trying to organize the game.
    However this game is on a new engine, so I imagine it is like doing it all for the first time.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    They know you'll buy it anyway. That's why
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
    edited July 2021
    simplyzoe wrote: »
    I'm desperately trying to only have 2-3 families I play in each neighborhood but even with saying that the lack of different lot sizes and lack of residential lots trips me up when trying to organize the game.
    However this game is on a new engine, so I imagine it is like doing it all for the first time.

I don't believe the new engine excuse anymore. Not in 2021.

Is it directed towards me? I hadn't bought a pack since Island Living but 2 weeks ago I bought 2 packs on sale. But if not towards me, yes, simmer will buy it anyway.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    simplyzoe wrote: »

I don't believe the new engine excuse anymore. Not in 2021.

Is it directed towards me? I hadn't bought a pack since Island Living but 2 weeks ago I bought 2 packs on sale. But if not towards me, yes, simmer will buy it anyway.

Not directed towards you, but at simmers in general
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,444 Member
    Well, because this isn't Sims 3. Sims 4 is designed to be able to play all worlds and have the freedom to move around as much as you want. When you allow that, there have to be limitations somewhere or a game as huge as The Sims will get bogged down quickly. Sims 3 had restrictions in that you could only use/live in one main world at a time so they made it larger. Sims 2 had more mid-sized worlds but still had some additional worlds be able to "connect" so you could have Sims living Downtown or at Uni or in that world that came with Open For Business and you had a bit more freedom but still not as much as Sims 4.

I love the connected worlds of TS4 the best for gameplay variety because I can have my Sims living all over the place, in a plethora of environments. I don't need to cram them all into one world where nothing ever changes. The only caveat (and it's a big one) is not being able to edit the worlds. In all games before this we could switch our lots around and place them and alter the objects in the environment. It really stinks that we can't do that at all in TS4. Even if we could just replace the playgrounds and picnic areas and monuments and stuff, it would make a big difference. Gawd, I hate those playgrounds.
    #Team Occult
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited July 2021
    Sims 4 is much better, and more free, than Sims 3.
    I have never understood everyone who gushes over Sims 3 when it was

1. Buggy
    2. WAY too unoptimized (was lagging and stuttering even on GOOD computers)
    3. Actually MORE confining.

Yes it was an "open world", but you were locked in the world. The playable area in Sims 4 is at least 20 times larger since you can seamlessly move from world to world at will.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited July 2021

1. Buggy

Yes it was an "open world", but you were locked in the world. The playable area in Sims 4 is at least 20 times larger since you can seamlessly move from world to world at will.

Hmmm, I find Sims 4 buggy as well and of course number 2 is subjective but you are right optimization was not good for some and Sims 4 is not optimized. The time I had any problems was when it was Developer issue. Now I would have been satisfied with the ability to lay my own lots and not have static lots which Sims 4 does have so having the ability to connect worlds was more of an appeasement to me and At least in Sims 3 worlds I could spread out and not have the world 25% lots and 95% art and by being static you are stuck with what they give. So for me Sims 3 was better and the creativity level was much greater than Sims 4 but again EA/Maxis stripping Sims 4 of most features in some aspects has not worked to an degree as I can read posts in here about bugs galore. Open world is not issue for me but creativity is and the ability to fix or tweak your product in an timely manner is also important.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    They talked about the reason why in this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKzjiiox0Fk
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member

1. Buggy

There are plenty of open world games that don't have anywhere near the level of bugs The Sims 3 had.

I didn't buy the "open worlds are buggy" excuse in 2006 when I played Oblivion, I didn't buy it in 2009 when I played The Sims 3, and I don't buy it in 2021.
    wJbomAo.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    To make you buy more DLC. That's it, no question.

You win the internet because that is exactly it. No other reasons. Cost and effect. Can they sell more DLC if they have to spread out 'neighborhoods' over 44 packs etc. or if they build one big world for an EP with many lots to house Sims? It's all about the money. Nothing more. Performance matters but how much more performance would it take to add several more lots to places in some of the worlds that turn out to be all land and fake backdrop rather than lots for players to use? I would guess very little since these lots are closed lots. The game doesn't have to render those lots because it's not open world. They know they can sell three tiny neighborhoods with 2-5 lots each and get the $40 compared to a world with 25 lots in it etc. Simmers have proven that..they buy it no matter what.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.