Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cottage Living: Prep and Plans

simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
We were having a wonderful bookstore discussion in the cottage living positive thoughts thread so I thought we could continue that discussion here along with whatever other preparation and plans you have for Cottage Living. Will you be starting with a new family, playing with one of the families that might come with the world, or moving an existing family to Henford-on-Bagley. What shops or community lots are you planning? Are you leveling up some of your sims' cooking, baking, gardening skills? I'm sure we'll have lots more to discuss as more information is released.
Post edited by simgirl1010 on

Comments

• Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited June 2021
    I am not going to do a lot of prep. My plan is to take my fav occult family (Vlad, his added wife and five daughters) and have him decide to buy a house in the countryside. He'll fight with her (as usual when he is autonomous, their friendship bar always ends up red even though the love bar is strong) and pack up his kids and move there (with the fox and raccoon I made for them back when there was only four daughters). His eldest daughter will then become the country vet and I will play through each of their struggles embracing rural life.
    Post edited by Calico45 on
  • Options
    JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    I don't want to do too much prep as I'm not sure exactly when I will buy it (I want the bonus items, but I also want to bundle it, just hoping they don't become super greedy and withhold it from bundling that long).

I'm going to convert the 64x64 in Brindleton Bay to a farm lot so I may start building that as I won't need so many new items as I want it to fit in with Brindleton Bay still.

I also may build some shells with basic furniture/layouts and the terrain done so I can have a headstart in building in the new world.

I'll want to make new sims (or maybe some of my sims will have kids that move out), but probably will wait as I'll mostly want to use new CAS for them.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I have the perfect sim for this pack which for ages I have had no storyline for. He lives in glimmerbrook (is not a spellcaster) as a reclusive, outdoorsy gardener who spends more time alone on holiday in granite falls around the nature so maybe moving to henford on bagley may inspire more of a storyline for every day to day play and finally breathe a bit of life into his character as I have no enthusiasm to rotate to play him at the moment.
  • Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    This is an awesome idea for a thread! Looking forward to hearing everyones ideas! :)
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Lol about the bookstore, that was kind of off topic (and sorry, I did contribute to that).

I do not usually prep for a new pack, I just plonk it into my game and go forth from there. I will probably be reviving a previously played couple though. I used to play them in Glimmerbrook in an OTG lot and do a mini version of farming crops, so they will be happy to move to the English countryside and farm for real. I will do the lot challenge with them that requires fresh ingredients.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    I don't have any specific plans. I'll make a test save first, and then I'll move in a spellcaster. I recently created a magical shop for Glimmerbrook. If it doesn't look too odd I will move it to the new world as well. With all the swimmable water one of my mermaids might also end up there.

A library sounds like a good idea too.
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I'll make a few preliminary builds to finish when I have the pack. One of my spellcaster family will be moving there, but it's so far off and I get through generations so quickly, that it's not possible for me to plan which sim or sims will be going. I'm trying to slow down and have my current family in Glimmerbrook head there.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I've been wanting this theme for a while though I don't have completely specific plans. More recently, I've played with DHD and sent my established decorator on a vacation to Mt. Komorebi. I'll probably rotate to different households as my schedule allows.

In terms of farms, I had one farm at Rustic Residence with a greenhouse. It's inhabited by an elderly Lucas Munch who runs it as a family hobby farm. He's a vegetarian who eats his own meals with veg so he was an early adopter of this style. I also installed a swimming pool. While he will probably continue his farm, he was always off on his own. I could see him competing in garden contests.

About the pack, I'd look at the world at first to get a sense of it. I'd look over the households living in the world but I'd probably move in someone new to an available house to learn the pack. That may be someone moving from another world like San Myshuno to start farming. I also have a household that is half-British, so it may be that they would move there. They have been living in a download that has a cottagey look but some functional issues and small hallways. I could see moving them and turning their current lot into something else.

I would customize the village over time. The main thing is that we haven't actually had a world like this. I turned StrangerVille into a dusty rural town but it's one without a lot going on. For this, I'd explore the pack and then develop the village over time. I would roughly relate it to Glimmerbrook which is like a hamlet.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    I'm planning on making a wealthy farmer and his farmily (pun intended) and their estate.

And if power/cooking/plumbing works off the grid im making a new decades challenge save.
  • Options
    HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 323 Member
    Since there's no new occults, I don't need to worry about impact on my main storylines. I'm going to wait and see what the world/gameplay looks like before I start mentally moving sims in. I've got a gardener whose story is kind of stalling now that her kids are grown; I may move her into the new world and give her a big farm. I also have a mermaid who is kind of outdoorsy who may be perfect for llama farming (her human mother was super into knitting). Or I may make a new family and go from there. Some of the kids I've got now may also be grown enough by release to move them into the new world. I've got a save for testing random stuff so I'll poke around in there for a few days while waiting for the big mod updates.

I'm not a builder, so I won't make any builds in advance. Even if I was, I'd wait to see all the new build/buy because I'd renovate everything anyway. I'll just wait for a few of my favorite builders to start making stuff for the new world and download my favorite lots.

The biggest prep I did was putting in for vacation time off the two days after release so I can play. Got waitlisted (coverage based job), so fingers crossed I won't have to wait for my weekend to play.
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    My current legacy heir is very into gardening. I need to play through them a bit to earn some money but am planning on holding off a bit on them. They live on windenburg island which I think will match this pack well.

However if I keep playing and the children also fit the new pack I’ll keep playing a bit. I love my sims gardening so who knows lol.
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I've been having odd random thoughts but have made no plans, as yet. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting it either on release day or soon afterwards (requesting it for my birthday is just not gonna cut it - December is way too far away LOL). Over the weekend I considered a hermit living in the woods who snuck out to steal his neighbor's eggs/crops. Yesterday I thought about the Pirate King and his band from Pirates of Penzance. This morning I thought about creating Miss Marple (from the Agatha Christie books) and have her wander around solving murders...

I'm actually looking forward to seeing what everyone else is doing. Everyone here is so creative, lots of ideas to steal! :D
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    I booked time off for release week (starting Mon 19 June).

I'll be adding the premades to my rotation (except any with special roles), so...

I really have to finish my base save so that all the premades are up to date with seasonal outfits, pack related character development and more activities/voting boards etc added to the open street areas.
  • Options
    TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    I m currently playing the origin story of my vampire sim. He is currently in his teenage years and he just moved out of his foster family's house in search for his biological parents. His road will lead him to Henford on Bagley where he will live with an evil farmer and his daughter. In exchange he will work on his farm to make a living. Soon though the small conservative village will start picking up on his "food" preferences...
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    kostasmpi wrote: »
    I m currently playing the origin story of my vampire sim. He is currently in his teenage years and he just moved out of his foster family's house in search for his biological parents. His road will lead him to Henford on Bagley where he will live with an evil farmer and his daughter. In exchange he will work on his farm to make a living. Soon though the small conservative village will start picking up on his "food" preferences...

This is actually a great plot. Sounds like the backdrop to a fairy tale.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    Ok here's my 1st story for Cottage Living.

Once upon a time there was a poor orphan little girl who lost her beloved Aunty. She was sent far away to a magical land to live with her long lost cousin that she never heard of. This cousin of hers was an unusual & freaky lady. She had green skin & dabbled in the dark arts. The little girl wasn't sure if her cousin was wicked or good.

Can anyone guess who the little girl & her cousin is? :p;)
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    Now, I don't normally really prep for new packs, but this one, especially the setting of a small village in the countryside, really inspires me.
    I've got it down to two concepts, that I just posted to my blog, but I'll just post them here, see if anyone has any preference. Not that I'll share much of it, but it's for my own enjoyment, it's always more fun to play with somewhat of a story idea behind it.
    4adf3486d7c3ed7fb3ffd056690ba7a503078a19.png
    A Vet’s Life - In The Country
    The return of a classic, with a twist.
    After the premature demise of his beloved wife Jasmin, Derek has been feeling rather depressed. Little Lynn thinks she knows just the thing to cheer her dad up. How about they move away from Brindleton Bay and make a fresh start? The vet practice in Henford-on-Bagley has been in dire need of a new vet and there’s a little farm for sale in the vicinity. As old Nugget and Sly tag along, will Derek find happiness again among the udder chaos of country life?

385a948bdc1725665dc2f8fd8d14039e017ef589.png
    From a long forgotten (attempt at) legacy, Poppy Addison is all grown up now. She’s recently inherited old Grandpa McAlister’s farm (who died peacefully in his sleep not long ago) in the lovely little hamlet of Henford-on-Bagley. Once Poppy arrives here, the farm is in a sorry state and it’s her job to restore it to its former glory.* She cannot do so without the help of the local villagers. A new adventure awaits and many new friends are to be made.
    * Poppy may bring along her sister Holly for this.

I could probably make this a poll actually, but oh well.

As for the bookshop idea, Henford-on_Bagley needs a bookshop! It's a shame that in my grand plan I already have a bookshop in Windenburg... so I may need to change things. I may move the florist from Willow Creek to HoB, though.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited June 2021
    I have a Scottish couple with a hunting dog that I am going to move to Henford, so they can have farm animals. He also is a part time fisherman, and fishes on his off time too with his boat and traps. They also sell things they make and collect.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    @MDianaSims I love the vet idea, I might have to steal that myself!
  • Options
    kostasmpi wrote: »

This is actually a great plot. Sounds like the backdrop to a fairy tale.

Thank you. It is actually a way for me to continue the origin story while also playing the new pack.
  • Options
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Ok here's my 1st story for Cottage Living.

Once upon a time there was a poor orphan little girl who lost her beloved Aunty. She was sent far away to a magical land to live with her long lost cousin that she never heard of. This cousin of hers was an unusual & freaky lady. She had green skin & dabbled in the dark arts. The little girl wasn't sure if her cousin was wicked or good.

Can anyone guess who the little girl & her cousin is? :p;)

The green skinned cousin sounds like Elfaba from wizard of oz? Am i correct?
  • Options
    Hauk150Hauk150 Posts: 358 Member
    I will adapt the new content of the pack to my stories and characters. I will remodel my houses with the new objects, and change some characters with the new cas items. I also plan to move some houses and characters to the new world. And maybe create new characters and storylines for the new world :)
  • Options
    lori171957lori171957 Posts: 233 Member
    I have been making cottages with the pond areas included (waiting for water). I am trying to build smaller and this creates problems. When a child brings home a project I have to maneuver to get somewhere to put it.
    I usually build big houses, so this is a challenge. I have two families ready to move in, one is a single who is living off grid in Evergreen Harbor. Both are gardeners, no tv in the family home and they interact with each other more.
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    @MDianaSims I love the vet idea, I might have to steal that myself!

Go ahead, I'm sure there are more people with similar ideas.
    You know, Derek was my test sim for Cats & Dogs back when it released. And seeing how Henford-on-Bagley just screams "All Creatures Great and Small", I figured I might as well bring my vet back.
    That said, HoB also gives me serious Midsomer Murders vibes, especially the harvest contest, so I may play around with that idea as well.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    Actually @kostasmpi, the green skinned cousin is Zelena but close enough. There's been so many different types of Wicked Witches from the Wizard of Oz. Now can you guess who the little girl is? ;)