May 28 - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Sul sul Simmers! Join us for the #DreamHomeDecorator Livestream HERE today, May 25, @11 AM PT / 6 PM UTC! 🎉
May 27: Today is patch day! 😃 To read the patch notes, click here!

EA Data Breach

May want to check your logins and passwords.

Do more of what makes you happy. 🌞

Comments

• comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 8,292 Member
    yes better safe then sorry thanks for the info
    the sims 4 isn't getting new whims right now and I think they have dropped them all together if we want new whims in sims 4 we need to tweet the gurus and tell them we like whims
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,224 Member
    Not sure this particular lot were after customer data, if they were interested in source code
  • BookBearBookBear Posts: 430 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Not sure this particular lot were after customer data, if they were interested in source code

Yeah, source code and consumer data are different things, but you never know if they did find some, so it's best to veer on the safe side.
    Offering free hugs for your time of need.
    8763f1fcdeee963323782673c8c95eee.gif
  • logionlogion Posts: 2,962 Member
    edited June 11
    It's not customer data, it's the source code for the engines, which could lead to people more easily creating hacks for those engines in the future. Like people that cheat in online multiplayer matches.

Doesn't hurt to change your log in anyway, better safe than sorry.
  • figgyfiggy Posts: 107 Member
    As others said, this doesn't look like customer log in data, but anyways, better safe then sorry.

It's always a good idea to use 2 factor authentication.
    simming since 2000┃origin: daFigg ┃radiohead-head, potterhead, doodie-head
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,858 Member
    edited June 12
    More info on the hack:

EA Hacked, 780gb of Data Stolen, Including FIFA & Frostbite Source Code, Being Sold For $28 Million

Article from MSN: FIFA 21, Battlefield, And More Games' Data Stolen From EA, Selling For $28 Million in Hacking Forums

Stuff reported to be "acquired":
    • Debug tools, SDK (Software Development Kit) and API (Application Programming Interface) keys
    • FIFA 21 matchmaking server
    • FIFA 22 API keys and some SDK & debugging tools
    • FrostBite engine source code and debug tools
    • Many proprietary EA games frameworks and SDKs
    • XBox and Sony private SDK and API key
    • XB, PS and EA PFX and CRT with key (file formats of SSL/TLS certificates)

They also included images of software samples to show proof of its authenticity.

Most importantly, the bid's description mentioned: "You have full capability of exploiting on ALL EA services"

Scary in the hands of a unethical but intelligent nemesis.

PS: I also want to add that what was hacked is NOT ransomeware = the hackers didn't approach EA demanding money for what they stole. Instead, they are selling this on the dark web for anyone with serious money.

Post edited by ClarionOfJoy on
    Took a quick snapshot of my active sim with her date riding the roller coaster at the amusement park:
    The look of sheer terror is priceless, lol!

Screenshot-186.jpg

• dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 496 Member
    I don‘t feel sorry for EA at all. Immoral company and immoral hackers… match made in heaven.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,858 Member
    You know, I bet if someone decompiles an old FIFA game from the past 5 years, they're going to find its the EXACT SAME code as FIFA 22, lol! :D

Took a quick snapshot of my active sim with her date riding the roller coaster at the amusement park:
    The look of sheer terror is priceless, lol!

Screenshot-186.jpg

edited June 12
    *deleted
  • GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 230 Member
    Thank you for sharing @simgirl1010
    I agree with what others have said about changing passwords just incase (in fact, I think regularly changing passwords is a good habit anyway!)

Could someone please help me, I'm not very technical-minded. I know what purpose someone would have for stealing customer data, but why would someone want source code? Would someone please explain to me, I'm curious.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,533 Member
    You know, I bet if someone decompiles an old FIFA game from the past 5 years, they're going to find its the EXACT SAME code as FIFA 22, lol! :D

PES is king.
    edited June 12
    Thank you for sharing @simgirl1010
    I agree with what others have said about changing passwords just incase (in fact, I think regularly changing passwords is a good habit anyway!)

Could someone please help me, I'm not very technical-minded. I know what purpose someone would have for stealing customer data, but why would someone want source code? Would someone please explain to me, I'm curious.

When it comes to games, I'm not sure.

The people that stole the code will probably sell it on the black market, that's what happened to CDPR's stolen source code (for Witcher and Cyberpunk).

I think the things that EA and CDPR should worry about are potential vulnerabilities in the code which people could use to create programs that could be used for cheating or other things. I'm assuming that when you sell a game, it's pretty locked so people can't modify everything in it, maybe with encrypted files. Now EA and CDPR have to make sure that can't be exploited in their games.

This is why it's important that you have an antivirus software on your computer for example (at least for PC) because that program checks to make sure that your system files don't change or another file is causing a program to do something it shouldn't.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 3,030 Member
    Who pays 28 million USD just to be able to hack some games? Must be really important to win at FIFA or something.
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 375 Member
    Thanks for the info! And yea better safe than sorry, I'll be changing mine now. xD
  • GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 230 Member
    Thank you @logion I appreciate you taking the time to explain. I suppose it would be more an issue for online/multiplayer games?
    Silly me tends to forget that EA do more games than the Sims :lol: .
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 897 Member
    I am not so concerned about log ins due to two factor and the fact I never used my card, but it does have me worry for online components of the game. With new insights into the source code and game code, who knows if something like the gallery could potentially hide malware. I have no idea what security they have in place for someone attempting to do that.