Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cottage Living Facts Thread

Comments

• Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    Hearts4u wrote: »
    You know how in Eco Lifestyles there are premade individuals pivotal to gameplay--Knox, Bess and Tina Tinker. I always keep them. Plus, it's nice they actually live in a house in the game. I just will tweak their families to suit my gameplay style.
    Knox appearance is different so I wanted his parents to have his similar features--game genetics did a good job on his parents and little brother.
    Eco-Lifstyle-Premade-Families.jpg

For Cottage Living, having premades live in a residential lot is great. I never play premade Sims or families; but, I'll befriend them or give them someone to date or love.

Does anyone know which premades are vital to the gameplay? I don't want to delete those ones. I know in the livestream they showed the families on the festival board which are vital. Plus, I know if you delete someone an NPC would take their place. I just don't want to delete a premade that is vital who owns a pub, residential lot, or delivers groceries you order.

https://simscommunity.info/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/lore2.png

Of the NPCs with roles only the Scott’s are housed.

I also think some of the other residents are involved in the quest but I’ve tried to stay away from that info to have some surprises.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    But why did the IL festivals have to be excluded? If I live in Sulani, especially, they should be on my calendar. They are so difficult for me to catch normally. I love that world but I always feel excluded from the "community" aspects it was supposed to come with.
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,109 Member
    When is the Cottage Living patch arriving? They're cutting it pretty fine now!
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    ashcrash19 wrote: »
    Have they said or has their been a video showing how much "generous space" they give the cows/llamas? I'm curious when building a fence for them and chickens how big to make it past the squares.
    Thanks!

From what I've seen, Cows and Llamas stay mostly within the designated space outside the shed (total 10x9 footprint, though the shed is only like 3x8 of that) while chickens the coop is only 3x4, but without a fence the chickens can end up on the other side of the neighborhood - and in a large neighborhood, that's quite a ways.

On farms with multiple farm animals, say 4 cows, I'll (if needed) use bb.moveobjects cheat to overlap the cows' outdoor area. I guess the chance of clipping will be minimal, and if it happens I can live with that. It requires placing the 4 sheds either in two approaching lines or in a circle, no idea what might work better.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I think (don’t know) part of the reason IL festivals were excluded is they are daily and tend to be on a much smaller scale than the others. A shame yes because I never remember what is when during the week but I can see this being part of the reason.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    When is the Cottage Living patch arriving? They're cutting it pretty fine now!

Should be dropping Tomorrow.
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    sunman502 wrote: »
    I wonder why the island festivals were excluded from the calendar. :/

City Living festivals are on set schedule, so are Snowy Escape events and Cottage Living. Seasons events are generated a week ahead.
    Island festivals seem to be semi-random and possibly dependent on your progress (such as turtle hatching), so maybe that's the case.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    But why did the IL festivals have to be excluded? If I live in Sulani, especially, they should be on my calendar. They are so difficult for me to catch normally. I love that world but I always feel excluded from the "community" aspects it was supposed to come with.

It's been a while now, so my memory is hazy, but I seem to recall that at one point early on, one of the gurus said that it was because the Sulani festivals were meant to be more like casual, impromptu, local gatherings as opposed to big events that people from other worlds would plan a trip around. Which kind of makes sense to me for most of them, except maybe the turtle hatching... it's further out, so it's harder to casually walk by and spot even if you live in one of the other Sulani neighborhoods, and it does seem to me like something people would plan a trip around. I'm a little sad that I've had IL since release, and played it pretty thoroughly, including households in that neighborhood, and somehow I've still missed it every time. So I'd love if that one at least were on the calendar.
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »

There is an excellent tiny mod that sends you notifications of every IL festival no matter what neighborhood your sim lives in. It was created by Scarlet, who retired from modding, but another modder has taken it over and kept it updated (I think it is MizoreYukii). You can find a link to it on Scarlet's old modding page. I've had it in my game since it was created and I intend to keep it.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,836 Member
    Here's a direct link to the IL notifications mod.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/48520871
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    Does anyone know whether calling for grocery delivery is restricted to Henford?

I can see how the pub owners and stall merchants will really only work in the new town, but if you order groceries on your phone and an NPC delivers them to your lot, I just wonder whether the order option will be greyed out on your phone unless you're a village resident.

If so, maybe a modder will find a way around that. Grocery delivery in all worlds would be nice.
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    bizuktag wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether calling for grocery delivery is restricted to Henford?

I can see how the pub owners and stall merchants will really only work in the new town, but if you order groceries on your phone and an NPC delivers them to your lot, I just wonder whether the order option will be greyed out on your phone unless you're a village resident.

If so, maybe a modder will find a way around that. Grocery delivery in all worlds would be nice.

I doubt that's the case
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    You know how in Eco Lifestyles there are premade individuals pivotal to gameplay--Knox, Bess and Tina Tinker. I always keep them. Plus, it's nice they actually live in a house in the game. I just will tweak their families to suit my gameplay style.
    Knox appearance is different so I wanted his parents to have his similar features--game genetics did a good job on his parents and little brother.
    Eco-Lifstyle-Premade-Families.jpg

For Cottage Living, having premades live in a residential lot is great. I never play premade Sims or families; but, I'll befriend them or give them someone to date or love.

Does anyone know which premades are vital to the gameplay? I don't want to delete those ones. I know in the livestream they showed the families on the festival board which are vital. Plus, I know if you delete someone an NPC would take their place. I just don't want to delete a premade that is vital who owns a pub, residential lot, or delivers groceries you order.

https://simscommunity.info/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/lore2.png

Of the NPCs with roles only the Scott’s are housed.

I also think some of the other residents are involved in the quest but I’ve tried to stay away from that info to have some surprises.

I plan on using the 64 x 64 lot that is occupied by the Watson family.

With the quest that are involved, I'm wondering if you put down new families on all the lots while not messing with the NPCs who have roles, will the quest now include those new families.

I'm just going to do a new save to test and see how things work. Although I won't start playing until Friday, I'm so excited. :)
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue

With the quest that are involved, I'm wondering if you put down new families on all the lots while not messing with the NPCs who have roles, will the quest now include those new families.

I believe the only quest givers are the mayor, her son (the grocery delivery person), Ms. Scott (the pub owner), Kim Goldbloom (the grocery stall owner), the Creature Keeper, and both of the Crumplebottoms. Out of all of those, only the Scotts are currently housed.

It doesn't appear that any of the Watsons, or the other premade housed Sims (except Ms. Scott) give quests. So evicting or even deleting the non-special premades shouldn't affect the quests at all.

I think people are mostly assuming that even if you get rid of the current special NPCS, they will be replaced, so it still shouldn't make a difference. In other words, presumably the quests are tied to the special NPC role, not to the specific character.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »

I believe the only quest givers are the mayor, her son (the grocery delivery person), Ms. Scott (the pub owner), Kim Goldbloom (the grocery stall owner), the Creature Keeper, and both of the Crumplebottoms. Out of all of those, only the Scotts are currently housed.

It doesn't appear that any of the Watsons, or the other premade housed Sims (except Ms. Scott) give quests. So evicting or even deleting the non-special premades shouldn't affect the quests at all.

I think people are mostly assuming that even if you get rid of the current special NPCS, they will be replaced, so it still shouldn't make a difference. In other words, presumably the quests are tied to the special NPC role, not to the specific character.

That would make sense, as many of the story lines - from what I've seen in let's plays - don't actually use the sim's name. You don't talk to Michael Bell, you talk to the Creature Keeper. You don't talk to the Mayor's son (whose name I'm blanking on at the moment), you talk to the Grocery Delivery person, etc.
  • TARDISgradeTARDISgrade Posts: 193 Member

I'm just going to do a new save to test and see how things work. Although I won't start playing until Friday, I'm so excited. :)

I think it might work in a similar way to the NPC Sages from RoM. When I added them to one of my families, they became just regular, playable Sims and their role as Sages was immediately taken over by other, random NPCs.
    Feel free to download content from My Gallery
  • GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    edited July 2021

It was definitely confirmed that all of those roles (the ones you listed, which are posted on the board in town that you can read) will be replaced with a new auto-generated Sim if they age out or are deleted, or if you make them playable. One of the game changers apparently tried to play the Scotts, and as soon as they began playing them they were no longer the pub owners, but the game generated new pub owners. This system is obviously in place so that the quests will be consistently available. I like it, as I play rotationally and allow all my NPCs to age gradually with my played characters. That means that over time there will be a new mayor, a new Creature Keeper, etc. The Crumplebottoms won't age so after a few generations my Sims may start to wonder... what's going on with these old ladies' longevity?! I'm going to imagine that the Crumplebottoms actually have some supernatural gifts...

My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • kusurusukusurusu Posts: 971 Member
    The Crumplebottoms might be hidden in the household manager, just like Erwin Pries - and inviting them to join your household not available.
    My SuperSim Collection: Rosetta Stone · Sona Ali
    GirafHuntr wrote: »

It was definitely confirmed that all of those roles (the ones you listed, which are posted on the board in town that you can read) will be replaced with a new auto-generated Sim if they age out or are deleted, or if you make them playable. One of the game changers apparently tried to play the Scotts, and as soon as they began playing them they were no longer the pub owners, but the game generated new pub owners. This system is obviously in place so that the quests will be consistently available. I like it, as I play rotationally and allow all my NPCs to age gradually with my played characters. That means that over time there will be a new mayor, a new Creature Keeper, etc. The Crumplebottoms won't age so after a few generations my Sims may start to wonder... what's going on with these old ladies' longevity?! I'm going to imagine that the Crumplebottoms actually have some supernatural gifts...

Yes, it's definitely been confirmed that the NPCs will be replaced if removed. I was specifically responding to someone who was wondering whether moving the Watsons would affect the quest system (by which I assume she meant the errand system), and my point was that I believe the special NPCS (who do not include the Watsons) are the only ones who give out quests/errands.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    Is there a quick way to add all the facts to the starting post on page 1?
  • pendragon1980pendragon1980 Posts: 436 Member
  • HeyYoDiscoNickHeyYoDiscoNick Posts: 463 Member

Wait. Are they saying we can't turn off aging for these new NPCs at all? Or that they would have liked a separate toggle so they didn't age while the rest of the world aged normally?
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member

Wait. Are they saying we can't turn off aging for these new NPCs at all? Or that they would have liked a separate toggle so they didn't age while the rest of the world aged normally?

This.

That doesn't seem right at all. I knew the Crumplebottoms were designed to be immortal, but that sounds like a specific form of aging always happens even if aging is turned off. I don't care that the roles get replaced if something happens, but if I have aging off then no one should age.

If this was a design choice, it absolutely shoukd have been made clear in the livestream and the early access videos.