Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The sims 4 Cottage Living Negativity thread.

Comments

• Options
    KLAlexisKLAlexis Posts: 472 Member
    Why are the packs so inconsistent with their category label. Imo this is a game pack. Nice concept, wrong pricing. I think they could've added more with this EP. if barn animals couldn't leave their barn then I think a couple more farm animals could've been added. A nice addition would've been implementing cats and dogs into the pack. Most farms have cats that take care of the mice, and dogs that guard, protect, and keep the cattle in check. I think that assigning farm duties to family members would've been lovely. So instead of us always having to tell our sims to do it, they do it on their own.

40$ for just a cow, chickens, roosters, a llama, birds, foxes, rabbits, canning, and the small new world, and Lots of stuff we could already do.. Farms have 10x more to it than this, and this pack gave us less than half of it. So maybe a semi farming pack? It just looks like too much money for so little (IMO).
    "The truth hurts, but lies kill"
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    KLAlexis wrote: »
    Why are the packs so inconsistent with their category label. Imo this is a game pack. Nice concept, wrong pricing. I think they could've added more with this EP. if barn animals couldn't leave their barn then I think a couple more farm animals could've been added. A nice addition would've been implementing cats and dogs into the pack. Most farms have cats that take care of the mice, and dogs that guard, protect, and keep the cattle in check. I think that assigning farm duties to family members would've been lovely. So instead of us always having to tell our sims to do it, they do it on their own.

40$ for just a cow, chickens, roosters, a llama, birds, foxes, rabbits, canning, and the small new world, and Lots of stuff we could already do.. Farms have 10x more to it than this, and this pack gave us less than half of it. So maybe a semi farming pack? It just looks like too much money for so little (IMO).

Part of it is that some customers are willing to pay $40 even if it less which to me appears to be the norm. I rather wait until I can get it cheaper than pay full price.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    KLAlexisKLAlexis Posts: 472 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    KLAlexis wrote: »

Part of it is that some customers are willing to pay $40 even if it less which to me appears to be the norm. I rather wait until I can get it cheaper than pay full price.

That is the saddest part, tbh. Personally, I don't even want to pay half. The packs I've gotten have been a kind gift and the sims 4 I got for free when that EA deal went on a couple of years ago. And, I have to say. I still feel ripped off lmbo 🤣😂. I can only play the game with mods and CC. And, I've never gone through that with a game before.

Cottage Living JUST came out and I'm already hearing people say "when's the next pack coming out"
    "The truth hurts, but lies kill"
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2021
    I kinda don't understand the actual gameplay of this pack, yet. No one is explaining it here on the forums. Maybe game changers have a grip on what it is supposed to do? Like what is the actual gameplay focus? Is it about challenges? If so how many? What types? I haven't read anything about how many challenges there are and or what they are all called and or what they are all supposed to achieve.

It has to have a theme right, more than just living on a pretend garden plot (farm). I know about the festivals that cause things not to appear and or disappear or fail to give notice to put the stuff back in the inventory, stat! lol But I don't know anything about the actual gameplay of what is the purpose.

Story telling from imagination is fine, but what is the over all achievement of this pack? What are these Sims supposed to be doing and why and or what? For instance the challenges..again how many and what are they? Life Time Achievements? Are there any or even one? Whims, are there any new whims to fill for the Sim living on a so called 'farm'?

Growing large veggies, ok, but what is the purpose to just keep winning the fair contests? Do you get anything if you win every time you send a Sim there...like every year...does the Sim get a statue in a park or something because the player won that challenge every time. You know like how some people can win a Rose contest year after year, they eventually get something dedicated to them for winning it decade after decade. They become the gold standard. or is it some sort of gift or something you wouldn't want to keep getting? But shouldn't there be something if you won over and over, too.

I don't know, I don't see anyone listing the things that are supposed to be the goal of this pack. Or is is just a bunch of random stuff and people are playing for story telling purpose as usual. Just moving their Sims there and playing whatever is in their head. I don't get the goals and or achievements of this pack because no one is explaining them. TS4 packs always have goals and levels and things you are supposed to do whether you do them or not. So, what are they? That would explain whether any of us feel this a game pack over priced as an EP or is it actually EP worthy.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I kinda don't understand the actual gameplay of this pack, yet. No one is explaining it here on the forums. Maybe game changers have a grip on what it is supposed to do? Like what is the actual gameplay focus? Is it about challenges? If so how many? What types? I haven't read anything about how many challenges there are and or what they are all called and or what they are all supposed to achieve.

It has to have a theme right, more than just living on a pretend garden plot (farm). I know about the festivals that cause things not to appear and or disappear or fail to give notice to put the stuff back in the inventory, stat! lol But I don't know anything about the actual gameplay of what is the purpose.

Story telling from imagination is fine, but what is the over all achievement of this pack? What are these Sims supposed to be doing and why and or what? For instance the challenges..again how many and what are they? Life Time Achievements? Are there any or even one? Whims, are there any new whims to fill for the Sim living on a so called 'farm'?

Growing large veggies, ok, but what is the purpose to just keep winning the fair contests? Do you get anything if you win every time you send a Sim there...like every year...does the Sim get a statue in a park or something because the player won that challenge every time. You know like how some people can win a Rose contest year after year, they eventually get something dedicated to them for winning it decade after decade. They become the gold standard. or is it some sort of gift or something you wouldn't want to keep getting? But shouldn't there be something if you won over and over, too.

I don't know, I don't see anyone listing the things that are supposed to be the goal of this pack. Or is is just a bunch of random stuff and people are playing for story telling purpose as usual. Just moving their Sims there and playing whatever is in their head. I don't get the goals and or achievements of this pack because no one is explaining them. TS4 packs always have goals and levels and things you are supposed to do whether you do them or not. So, what are they? That would explain whether any of us feel this a game pack over priced as an EP or is it actually EP worthy.

From what I can tell, people are enjoying exactly the things you listed.

They're having fun with the simple living and rags to riches challenges because they're really difficult with the pack. Other than that, the only goal seems to be the activities themselves. People who like the pack are enjoying interacting with the chickens, they like growing the big vegetables, they like talking to bunnies and having them help with the gardening (lol - did they never see any Bugs Bunny cartoons), and they like making jam and mayonnaise, even though they can't put it on food, and they think the new world is pretty. They're also enjoying swimming in the water, which some of them don't seem to realize has been in the game for a while. They've turned off the fox challenge because the nasty critter is prone to eating their chickens.

I don't understand most of it, and I would think that it will become intolerably boring after a while. But I don't understand much of anything about TS4 for the past year or so.
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Hi @Cinebar

I just got a little time to start playing today so I have started with a couple no animals/kids on the lot so I can concentrate on playing with the llama/cow shed, chicken coop and stump bird tree which sims can converse with the birds from. I have not placed a bunny stump on the lot preferring my sims travel to a national park to play with bunnies instead for now until I know I have enough time for one on the home lot. I have not tried a lot challenge yet either as I don't want to make it complicated until I get a feel for what can be done with the pack so after a few hours playing today I have learned about the daily routine of cleaning and replacing feed in the animal sheds and chicken coop. Then I make sure I talk and love the animals so they feel good/happy then i milk the cow, shave the llama wool and collect the eggs. I also bought some large growing seeds and placed them down making sure they were watered and fertilized which is 2 seperate fertilizers in bottles that sims buy simply by clicking on the overgrown garden patch. I have not managed to grow my first crop yet and my game is going into Autumn lol. Normal garden seeds are grown/watered/fertilized as normal. My couple sims have cooked together which was nice and I think it will be great when kids come on board for that too. Canning is quite easy as long as you have the ingredients you just click on the fridge to do that as if a sim is going to cook from the fridge animation. The ponds are okay and look nice but sims can only play in them not swim. I set both my sims off knitting with llama wool to make some animals clothes which are cute. Once I feel confident I will probably do one lot challenge which I believe one is called simple living so if you have not got the ingredients for something you have to go get it. I believe there is fox challenge as well but I am not sure what that is about either as yet so those are further things to discover when I am ready to. I would honestly just suggest starting out simply like I have done and learning going along. I have really enjoyed playing this few hours today and have not yet visited the world festival or seen mrs crumple yet which is one of my most favorite NPC's of all time :) I understand how it can feel playing 4 and forgetting things as I tend to play series 3 then 2 a lot more than 4 and often by the time I get back to 4 I have forgotten so many things again :) I hope you manage to gain some pleasure from playing the new pack :)
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    The game has been out for less than twenty four hours. Threads are already popping up of things broken in other packs by this new pack. The formal EA bug site has received lists of bugs already. Less than 24 hours, day one.

Some dismiss such bugs but let me say if a player can't get groceries or other things because stalls are closed when they should be open, I would call that game breaking. If players can't find the ingredients such as mushrooms for an opportunity chore, I would call that game breaking. If players' other pets are missing in premade homes in other towns I would call that game breaking. These are not the only bugs on day one.

Here is what grinds my gears about what TS4 players are willing to accept. Bugs upon bugs upon bugs. It may not be game breaking to some to not be able to do something when they set out to do something in a game. But if that person has to forego that activity and or action and or work around it and or just forget it, then the pack or game is indeed game breaking if anyone has to skip something they sat out to do.

My other pet peeve is what is the job of game changers' early access?...just to make us buy something and get their clicks and or to do a little bit of beta testing and tell Maxis about bugs is what they should be doing. And tomorrow, you know what, players will throw this pack down forget all about it's bugs and what it broke in the previous packs and core game, and spend more money on a new shiny. EA is so happy with those who don't mind bugs and or subpar programming. Players are the reason TS4 is so darn buggy because tomorrow they will throw down the money for another new shiny.

'It's buggy but I bought it anyway' that is stated here thousands of times. Or I will buy it on sale, I don't care it's buggy, I want a new shiny. :s Players have no one to blame but themselves.

You mention ts4 players specifically, but it bas never been just ts4. Ts3 was also riddled with bugs as was ts2, and people just accept it.

An entire expansion pack is almost completely unuseable in ts3 because of how poorly coded it is. I dont even have to mention the expansion pack for you to know which one I'm talking about.

You may say you can just download a custom world, which is true. But you shouldn't have to use mods or cc to fix ea issues.

If you go back to ts3 bug reports on the forums, they were sometimes 2 pages long per expansion pack alone.

Ts2 had its own issues. Agnes Crumplebottom being a big one. If a vampire ever bit her autonomously it would corrupt your entire game. Destroying a tombstone could corrupt your game.

My point is that the sims series has ALWAYS been a buggy mess of spaghetti code, and people have and always still buy the packa regardless.

If we look at the revenue of who has made the most money it falls to TS4. TS4 raked in over a billion a few years ago. Though TS3 is extremely well loved by those who love story progression, (not just open world and CASt) TS4 has out sold TS3 within the same time frame of when TS3 was current. What does that say? That some who do care about bugs stopped buying TS3. What does it say about TS2? It says those of us who cared about subpar programming or half baked implementation stopped buying or they too would have made a billion within five years.

TS3 earned it's money on other things like store content but really if bugs were acceptable to some TS2 and TS3 players those games would have also made that billion.

It is TS4 that sells buggy packs and still somehow makes more than all three in five years.

I'm sorry I look at facts, yes, TS3 had bugs..and some of us stopped buying. TS2's so called corruption is overrated because the things you mentioned were player triggered no vamps bit anyone unless the player had their own vamp bite someone then the count and countess could bite autonomously and could bite anyone on a community lot. That's not the type of 'bug' I'm talking about if it so happened they bit a NPC. But the facts the features of this pack are broken on day one. So was Eco Livings features so were many of the other packs. That is the difference. Main features already busted. No matter how much problems another game had such as routing, sometimes, the very features in the pack were not broken. It's par for the course with TS4 packs.

ETA: Quite honestly, the two packs I would have even considered after Parenthood (yes I stopped a long time ago) were Eco Living for the challenge and to make a totally run down, polluted town, but those features were broken and NAPs were broken etc. and this one. But I can already see it's not doing what is supposed to do, already. I wait to see what they might do and the more we read the more we find out every pack has problems not worth dealing with and or paying to get.

I think the main selling point in TS4 is the build mode. If I can't play the game because of bugs, I can still build.
  • Options
    100LilDreams100LilDreams Posts: 34 Member
    > @Cinebar said:
    > I kinda don't understand the actual gameplay of this pack, yet. No one is explaining it here on the forums. Maybe game changers have a grip on what it is supposed to do? >

in all fairness the gameplay is just a mini farm simulator if you dont like farming games or play them then the gameplay
    wont look like it exists or make sense right off the bat. i know a lot of simmers including myself who play games like stardew valley or harvest moon/story of seasons or both
    so its easy to just kinda know what to do with the gameplay and not have to explain it cause at the end of the day youre raising animals, making animal byproducts and growing/harvesting crops as well as attending the farming fairs/competitions, which again is seen in farming games i listed. of course this is also very niche gameplay even more so if you arnt the type to care about farming irl so if you dont wanna do that then the lot challenges, like simple living can be integrated in any form of household.

on a side note am i the only one annoyed that the mirror dresser combo only lets you change sims clothes and not have options that should come with a mirror even the vintage glamour vanities have an option to practice charisma and such
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    (Please pardon me if the following has been discussed already, I haven't had the time to read the entire thread.)

Has anyone at EA/Maxis ever addressed the decision-making on the picnic basket item? The object seems to be little more than a glorified centerpiece that can only be used on a picnic table. Aside from that unnecessary limitation, what distinguishes the object from anything that the Sims could already accomplish by simply placing prepared family meals into their inventory or packing lunch sacks?

It's the laptop all over again and I don't understand it.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    > @Cynna said:
    > (Please pardon me if the following has been discussed already, I haven't had the time to read the entire thread.)
    >
    > Has anyone at EA/Maxis ever addressed the decision-making on the picnic basket item? The object seems to be little more than a glorified centerpiece that can only be used on a picnic table. Aside from that unnecessary limitation, what distinguishes the object from anything that the Sims could already accomplish by simply placing prepared family meals into their inventory or packing lunch sacks?
    >
    > It's the laptop all over again and I don't understand it.

it has a inventory so you can choose what food to put in there and eat compared to the usual option and i think the option to invite sims out on a picnic (my sim is being picky with friends/lovers so i havnt tested this yet) instead of just grabbing whatever from a picnic basket a npc dropped on the table
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited July 2021
    > @Cynna said:
    > (Please pardon me if the following has been discussed already, I haven't had the time to read the entire thread.)
    >
    > Has anyone at EA/Maxis ever addressed the decision-making on the picnic basket item? The object seems to be little more than a glorified centerpiece that can only be used on a picnic table. Aside from that unnecessary limitation, what distinguishes the object from anything that the Sims could already accomplish by simply placing prepared family meals into their inventory or packing lunch sacks?
    >

it has a inventory so you can choose what food to put in there and eat compared to the usual option and i think the option to invite sims out on a picnic (my sim is being picky with friends/lovers so i havnt tested this yet) instead of just grabbing whatever from a picnic basket a npc dropped on the table

Thank you for your reply.

Ah, it's a container that sits on top of picnic tables only... It's strangely limiting.

I'm not sure that I understand the second benefits of the function. Isn't that something that Sims can already do?
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Do they? What goals do Get Together or Seasons have? I think most of the Sims 4 packs are actually storytelling. Sure some EPs like University are more about achieving something, but I don't think Cottage Living have less goals then for example Cats and Dogs.
    1) You have an aspiration, which is an obvious goal. Yes, one aspiration isn't a lot, but that's how many EPs work. No whims though, which is ridicilous but I think devs gave up on them.
    2) Simple Living lot challenge have an achievement - when you reach level 10 cooking, you unlock an ability to write a cookbook.
    3) You can unlock animal treats recipes, many of which have interesting effects.
    4) You can unlock unique drinks through errands.
    5) You can unlock special cross-stitching patterns through errands too (and maybe some other ways, I'm not sure).
    6) You can befriend forest animals and unlock their homes.

So I feel like there are enough things to achieve if that's your thing. Sure there's no Big Goal, but... that's how the Sims work?

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    somewhsome wrote: »
    Do they? What goals do Get Together or Seasons have? I think most of the Sims 4 packs are actually storytelling. Sure some EPs like University are more about achieving something, but I don't think Cottage Living have less goals then for example Cats and Dogs.
    1) You have an aspiration, which is an obvious goal. Yes, one aspiration isn't a lot, but that's how many EPs work. No whims though, which is ridicilous but I think devs gave up on them.
    2) Simple Living lot challenge have an achievement - when you reach level 10 cooking, you unlock an ability to write a cookbook.
    3) You can unlock animal treats recipes, many of which have interesting effects.
    5) You can unlock special cross-stitching patterns through errands too (and maybe some other ways, I'm not sure).

So I feel like there are enough things to achieve if that's your thing. Sure there's no Big Goal, but... that's how the Sims work?

One Aspiration? In an EP? Ok. I know TS4 is infamous for very little content such as this, compared to TS3's EPs or even TS2's EPs which came with several but people are paying an EP price and those other games didn't come with either/or Aspiration and or gameplay/content. They were full of both. Is Simple Living the only challenge and a fox challenge? Usually someone who likes to fill the goals and achievements in TS4 post a long laundry lists of things to accomplish back in the day when TS4 was new or had a few EPs or GPs. No new whims to fit the new 'GP' sold as an EP at an EP price,..again.

Since this is a negative thread I will just mention GPs are focused on one 'theme' this EP seems to be only focused on one theme, but sold as an EP which is supposed to expand the core. Like Seasons would expand the core if weather was in all worlds...but it's not such as no snow choices in the desert. EPs are supposed to broaden gameplay not focus on one side of gameplay which in this case is farming which we could already garden in TS4 from the base. Cooking...yet again, reused and repeated over and over and this time as a type of goal to achieve when it has been reused so many times one might think that and painting is all Maxis can come up with. Sims' do not come without one big goal, it's called Life Time Aspirations it is only TS4 that short changes the players by not having enough choices in that realm of play and at worst reusing the same old time and again applications of it such as cooking, painting, writing, and working out.

That is all TS4 can do it would seem is use the same four, tired applications and repeat them over and over in every EP and GP.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member

One Aspiration? In an EP? Ok. I know TS4 is infamous for very little content such as this, compared to TS3's EPs or even TS2's EPs which came with several but people are paying an EP price and those other games didn't come with either/or Aspiration and or gameplay/content. They were full of both.
    Yep, that's fair. I'm not saying this EP has as much content as TS3 or TS2 EPs; I was just surprised you've said other TS4 EPs had goals while Cottage Living has not. I think they are pretty even at goals and achievements. Half of TS4 EPs have only one aspiration (and sometimes very lame ones), some have two, and some have none. I dislike TS4 aspirations in general, but Cottage Living is not the worst on that part, and it's one of the most challenging packs honestly.

• Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    KyreRoen wrote: »
    I recently watched this video:
    "20 Things To Do In Cottage Living"
    https://youtu.be/1IYx3BN135Q
    It only confirmed my thoughts on the pack when I could only find the "Simple Living" challenge, writing a cookbook, and buying groceries to be worthwhile gameplay.

Also, when your description of a feature amounts only to "this is cute/adorable" it's not a good endorsement.

She does a really really terrible job at selling the pack. I'm actually interested in this one, and she seemed to be pointing out how boring it is. And given that she listed canning as a new thing to do rather than just new cooking recipes, it also seemed like she was reaching to find things.

I guess I can thank this gamechanger for killing my interest for now. I'll get it on sale.

Edit: Okay, finished watching it. She lists hitting on Agnes Crumplebottom to get hit back by her as new gameplay. There's not enough squee in the world to make that sound like it would be fun and engaging more than twice.

Why aren’t you buying it instead of watching a gamechanger pick apart the EP you were interested in? I don’t tend to listen to the gamechangers because they can tell you anything and yes most will be honest they like it but the got the thing free. They didn’t pay for it so why should they care what they tell us?

I would not dream of buying ANY game or expansion without seeing actual non-dev gameplay. Why anyone would buy a game or expansion unseen I do not know.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member

One Aspiration? In an EP? Ok. I know TS4 is infamous for very little content such as this, compared to TS3's EPs or even TS2's EPs which came with several but people are paying an EP price and those other games didn't come with either/or Aspiration and or gameplay/content. They were full of both. Is Simple Living the only challenge and a fox challenge? Usually someone who likes to fill the goals and achievements in TS4 post a long laundry lists of things to accomplish back in the day when TS4 was new or had a few EPs or GPs. No new whims to fit the new 'GP' sold as an EP at an EP price,..again.

Since this is a negative thread I will just mention GPs are focused on one 'theme' this EP seems to be only focused on one theme, but sold as an EP which is supposed to expand the core. Like Seasons would expand the core if weather was in all worlds...but it's not such as no snow choices in the desert. EPs are supposed to broaden gameplay not focus on one side of gameplay which in this case is farming which we could already garden in TS4 from the base. Cooking...yet again, reused and repeated over and over and this time as a type of goal to achieve when it has been reused so many times one might think that and painting is all Maxis can come up with. Sims' do not come without one big goal, it's called Life Time Aspirations it is only TS4 that short changes the players by not having enough choices in that realm of play and at worst reusing the same old time and again applications of it such as cooking, painting, writing, and working out.

That is all TS4 can do it would seem is use the same four, tired applications and repeat them over and over in every EP and GP.

I don't like Sims 4 aspirations, tbh. I just don't like the setup. They are wishes you can flip through and not worry about locking. They certainly are nothing like Sims 3 lifetime wishes which is what I used to see them compared to; they're more like the Sims 3 skill challenges, but with a lot less flexibility. Sims 4 has a lot of really obnoxious shortcuts. One that bothers me is that when you purchase a lifetime reward, it doesn't disappear from the list.

I like the idea of cottage living because I love farm sims. I think that's why the team gave everyone such extensive back stories and why there are some errands that seem to tell a story. The problem is that Sims 4 cannot be played like a farm sim. I mean, you do your farming, you increase your relationship with the towns folk, but you're not watching a story evolve. It's just the same sims 4 game loop of chat chat chat chat chat that happens in all worlds, without actually seeing the residents with actual personalities. You have to use Imagination(tm) to get a story in there. Which is fine, but it also makes it most un-farm-sim-like.

I think Cottage Living looks like fun, but I also know I will be bored with it quickly. Much like Pioneers of Olive Town -- the devs there skimped on depth and despite being beautiful, there are a lot of very upset fans who are going back to older Story of Seasons games.
  • Options
    i have to comment on this, sorry but, why the heck would it even snow in the desert in the sims 4 as a person who lives in a arid desert with average temperatures of triple digit (100-120f ) heat we get not one ounce of snow. we barely even get rain even during our supposed monsoon season. that is probably the most obscure complaint i seen about this game especially since so many of the people here want "realism" but alright

anyway the picnic basket has no real benefit unless youre the type of person that just prefers to bring your own homegrown/cooked food rather than whatever stuff youd get at the store, im not really a picnic type of person irl but i know some who have strong feelings about that, so i guess its to cater to whatever sentiment those people get.

also to add onto what felicity said its also kind of why even tho this is my dreampack im not gunna deny that even i would eventually get tired of it, cause this is the sims 4 not a dedicated farming game, even tho the sims 3 farming type gameplay had more depth its not something that i expect the gameplay or storytelling from say harvest moon/story of seasons. all i can really do is be glad that the option now exists, we dont have "into the future" version of the sims 4 so how else is this universe getting food besides someones backyard garden, at least we can pretend HoB has great import/export of goods now.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Cynna wrote: »
    > @Cynna said:
    >
    >

Thank you for your reply.

Ah, it's a container that sits on top of picnic tables only... It's strangely limiting.

I'm not sure that I understand the second benefits of the function. Isn't that something that Sims can already do?

The picnic basket looks pretty useless to me, other than for maybe storytelling reasons.
    You could easily just put food in your inventory and take it with you. There's not even an animation for taking it out of the basket. And the fact that you can't lay on the ground with it really makes it pointless.

I guess EA couldn't afford to spare a few dimes to pay the animators to make picnic animations :D
  • Options
    i have to comment on this, sorry but, why the heck would it even snow in the desert in the sims 4 as a person who lives in a arid desert with average temperatures of triple digit (100-120f ) heat we get not one ounce of snow. we barely even get rain even during our supposed monsoon season. that is probably the most obscure complaint i seen about this game especially since so many of the people here want "realism" but alright

anyway the picnic basket has no real benefit unless youre the type of person that just prefers to bring your own homegrown/cooked food rather than whatever stuff youd get at the store, im not really a picnic type of person irl but i know some who have strong feelings about that, so i guess its to cater to whatever sentiment those people get.

also to add onto what felicity said its also kind of why even tho this is my dreampack im not gunna deny that even i would eventually get tired of it, cause this is the sims 4 not a dedicated farming game, even tho the sims 3 farming type gameplay had more depth its not something that i expect the gameplay or storytelling from say harvest moon/story of seasons. all i can really do is be glad that the option now exists, we dont have "into the future" version of the sims 4 so how else is this universe getting food besides someones backyard garden, at least we can pretend HoB has great import/export of goods now.

In Sims series the game does not necessarily adhere to what is in RL 100% as you have Sci-Fi, Fantasy elements that does not exist in RL. Sims series is supposed to be about how you want to see things happen whether in RL or not. If one wants it to snow in the desert then there is snow. When I was in the deserts of Saudi Arabia I also thought of it always being hot, there were nights when I was cold.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    Like everyone else I like getting freebies in base game when a new pack comes out. But this pack broke fundamental things like autonomy. If the camera isn't on the sim they stop moving, but the clock keeps ticking. I was on the 3rd floor watching the infant & wondering why the loading screen didn't come on when my sim went to work only to discover she was stuck on the second floor landing. I had to follow her down all three flights of stairs before she got to work. Of course she was 2 hours late.

I would like Eco Lifestlye, CoL, DHD for the build, Knitting - but I am reluctant to spend any more money because even though I didn't buy those packs my game is very buggy. And I am reminded of TS3 - they released Island Paradise, a very buggy game breaking pack, and left it to modders to fix the lagging. You can't play that world without it breaking. And EA/Maxis released another EP, tons of worlds and stuff for the Sims 3 store and then TS4 and never fixed TS3 Island Paradise.

So, I have to wait maybe a year or so for them to fix everything they broke b4 I invest more money even though there are some build items in Eco & farming stuff in CoL I would love to have in game as it fits my game play style. SMH
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    > @Goldmoldar said:
    > In Sims series the game does not necessarily adhere to what is in RL 100% as you have Sci-Fi, Fantasy elements that does not exist in RL. Sims series is supposed to be about how you want to see things happen whether in RL or not. If one wants it to snow in the desert then there is snow. When I was in the deserts of Saudi Arabia I also thought of it always being hot, there were nights when I was cold.

yes it can get cold in the desert but it doesnt activly snow like it would in a forest the most we get is frost and thats only if we have enough wetness in the atmophere to have frost/ice form which is still a rare occurance.

and im of course aware the sims isnt 100% to real life i been playing since the first instalment and i prefer occult sims myself but that doesn't change the fact that it makes no sense in any universe for there to be snow in the desert. also thats not me trying to say the game should be realistic but if it did snow in oasis valley i guarantee you 98% at most will be like, "why does this exist here?" cause agian so many people here complain about the game not being realistic as is.
  • Options
    SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited July 2021
    The game has been out for less than twenty four hours. Threads are already popping up of things broken in other packs by this new pack. The formal EA bug site has received lists of bugs already. Less than 24 hours, day one.

Some dismiss such bugs but let me say if a player can't get groceries or other things because stalls are closed when they should be open, I would call that game breaking. If players can't find the ingredients such as mushrooms for an opportunity chore, I would call that game breaking. If players' other pets are missing in premade homes in other towns I would call that game breaking. These are not the only bugs on day one.

Here is what grinds my gears about what TS4 players are willing to accept. Bugs upon bugs upon bugs. It may not be game breaking to some to not be able to do something when they set out to do something in a game. But if that person has to forego that activity and or action and or work around it and or just forget it, then the pack or game is indeed game breaking if anyone has to skip something they sat out to do.

My other pet peeve is what is the job of game changers' early access?...just to make us buy something and get their clicks and or to do a little bit of beta testing and tell Maxis about bugs is what they should be doing. And tomorrow, you know what, players will throw this pack down forget all about it's bugs and what it broke in the previous packs and core game, and spend more money on a new shiny. EA is so happy with those who don't mind bugs and or subpar programming. Players are the reason TS4 is so darn buggy because tomorrow they will throw down the money for another new shiny.

'It's buggy but I bought it anyway' that is stated here thousands of times. Or I will buy it on sale, I don't care it's buggy, I want a new shiny. :s Players have no one to blame but themselves.

You mention ts4 players specifically, but it bas never been just ts4. Ts3 was also riddled with bugs as was ts2, and people just accept it.

An entire expansion pack is almost completely unuseable in ts3 because of how poorly coded it is. I dont even have to mention the expansion pack for you to know which one I'm talking about.

You may say you can just download a custom world, which is true. But you shouldn't have to use mods or cc to fix ea issues.

If you go back to ts3 bug reports on the forums, they were sometimes 2 pages long per expansion pack alone.

Ts2 had its own issues. Agnes Crumplebottom being a big one. If a vampire ever bit her autonomously it would corrupt your entire game. Destroying a tombstone could corrupt your game.

My point is that the sims series has ALWAYS been a buggy mess of spaghetti code, and people have and always still buy the packa regardless.

If we look at the revenue of who has made the most money it falls to TS4. TS4 raked in over a billion a few years ago. Though TS3 is extremely well loved by those who love story progression, (not just open world and CASt) TS4 has out sold TS3 within the same time frame of when TS3 was current. What does that say? That some who do care about bugs stopped buying TS3. What does it say about TS2? It says those of us who cared about subpar programming or half baked implementation stopped buying or they too would have made a billion within five years.

TS3 earned it's money on other things like store content but really if bugs were acceptable to some TS2 and TS3 players those games would have also made that billion.

It is TS4 that sells buggy packs and still somehow makes more than all three in five years.

I'm sorry I look at facts, yes, TS3 had bugs..and some of us stopped buying. TS2's so called corruption is overrated because the things you mentioned were player triggered no vamps bit anyone unless the player had their own vamp bite someone then the count and countess could bite autonomously and could bite anyone on a community lot. That's not the type of 'bug' I'm talking about if it so happened they bit a NPC. But the facts the features of this pack are broken on day one. So was Eco Livings features so were many of the other packs. That is the difference. Main features already busted. No matter how much problems another game had such as routing, sometimes, the very features in the pack were not broken. It's par for the course with TS4 packs.

ETA: Quite honestly, the two packs I would have even considered after Parenthood (yes I stopped a long time ago) were Eco Living for the challenge and to make a totally run down, polluted town, but those features were broken and NAPs were broken etc. and this one. But I can already see it's not doing what is supposed to do, already. I wait to see what they might do and the more we read the more we find out every pack has problems not worth dealing with and or paying to get.

I think the main selling point in TS4 is the build mode. If I can't play the game because of bugs, I can still build.

For me its CAS, the only reason I even play TS4 anymore. I bought the pack thinking it would have some positives, but honestly there is such a lack of content. The chickens are the best part of the whole pack which is just crazy to me. Oh and with gardening still being broken and plants and trees reverting back to seedlings or dying, it makes the "crop" aspect of the pack unplayable. Im shocked they didn't fix the gardening bug that has been around for at least 3 years now.....whats odd is it only seems to happen with some plants and trees and not others. I gave up on owning a cowplant with the bug....it either turns into a baby or dies despite being cared for....just ridiculous.
  • Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    SimSpock wrote: »
    ...and they like making jam and mayonnaise, even though they can't put it on food, and they think the new world is pretty.

@SimSpock you can't eat the jam and mayonnaise?!
    Wow at least with this mod you can eat the jam: CANNING STATION VERSION 3.0 by Icemunmun
    1.jpg?token-time=1628726400&token-hash=zgqUuVActvEYDcKYZ9dZijVYkLgRp93mR9OrCmb-DKE%3D

wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    > @Goldmoldar said:
    > In Sims series the game does not necessarily adhere to what is in RL 100% as you have Sci-Fi, Fantasy elements that does not exist in RL. Sims series is supposed to be about how you want to see things happen whether in RL or not. If one wants it to snow in the desert then there is snow. When I was in the deserts of Saudi Arabia I also thought of it always being hot, there were nights when I was cold.

yes it can get cold in the desert but it doesnt activly snow like it would in a forest the most we get is frost and thats only if we have enough wetness in the atmophere to have frost/ice form which is still a rare occurance.

and im of course aware the sims isnt 100% to real life i been playing since the first instalment and i prefer occult sims myself but that doesn't change the fact that it makes no sense in any universe for there to be snow in the desert. also thats not me trying to say the game should be realistic but if it did snow in oasis valley i guarantee you 98% at most will be like, "why does this exist here?" cause agian so many people here complain about the game not being realistic as is.

I as well been playing since the Maxis first came into existence but it may be what you want but you may not necessarily get it as I do not get what I want and as far as the 98% goes that is speculative so there is no guarantee unless you have an definitive way of gauging what people really want.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
  • Options
    the amount of complaints on this very forum, steam, reddits, or youtubers bringing in the customers being upset for having occult stuff ruin their immersion cause they were "forced" to buy a pack for some build/buy or CAS, anything referencing other supernatural related content, how the game is too much of a utopia, or something silly added to gameplay just to be fun is probably one of the top things talked about. people are already upset about how the rabbits behaviour isnt realistic when its only there for "cute" factor, and how cow milk flavors works in this pack, im sure people would of had some choice words if seasons let it snow in a area that doesnt even reach the freezing temperature for snow to start forming. but it doesnt matter at this point my opinion isnt gunna really change on on thinking oasis springs should stay a desert so I'm not going to bother responding to arguments over this anymore.

anyway to get back on the topic of pack this thread is targeted at.

the llamas for something thats been a mascot of the sims for so long I was expecting them out of all the animals to have the most fulfilling gameplay, but thats also the fault of the festival, that stays ongoing till 12am for some reason, i was hoping there would be a best in show llama thing where your llama can strut their stuff but no its just the same, look at llama/wool, comment about llama/wool, and then mingling with sims until midnight to see weather or not you won.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top