May 28 - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Sul sul Simmers! Join us for the #DreamHomeDecorator Livestream HERE today, May 25, @11 AM PT / 6 PM UTC! 🎉
May 27: Today is patch day! 😃 To read the patch notes, click here!

Comments

• ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,858 Member
    Does this mean EA gave permission for anyone to download and play this game? I want to know before I do anything with this!

Took a quick snapshot of my active sim with her date riding the roller coaster at the amusement park:
    The look of sheer terror is priceless, lol!

Screenshot-186.jpg

• Renato10Renato10 Posts: 406 Member
    Does this mean EA gave permission for anyone to download and play this game? I want to know before I do anything with this!

EA don't care about The Sims 1 or 2 and that's the cruel reality! Even TS3 must be a nightmare for them.
    Since they won't give us the old games, piracy is the only solution unless you prefer to buy games in second hand on internet which isn't really good imo
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 20,743 Member

I've notified the moderators to delete the post if it's not appropriate.
    Do more of what makes you happy. 🌞
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 3,340 Member
    TS1 is rather old. Is it possible the copyright or whatever games have is expired?
  • TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 942 Member
    I don't know about the legal stuff but I'd guess if you own the old discs it should be okay. I could be very wrong though.

Unfortunately, most modern computers don't come with cd trays because games are digital now.

I have all the cds for Sims 1-3. Sims 1 is the only I haven't been able to play because it's not available digitally. So thanks for the find. Hopefully EA will make it available at some point.
    You open the closet, it's just a closet. You never find the monster that hides inside. Not until it jumps out at you.
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 375 Member
    I think as long as EA doesn't decide to start selling it again, and doesn't give the rights to sell Sims 1 or 2 to any other company, then they're considered abandonware, and you shouldn't get into any legal trouble for downloading them. However, this may differ depending on where you live and the piracy laws in your country/state/province/etc.
  • SeashoreLiviaSeashoreLivia Posts: 737 Member
    I can't figure out how to download it. The archive.org link said it was taken down, and the torrent link didn't do anything when I clicked it.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 2,794 Member
    I checked both links too and gone. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    I’ve never had the honor to play the original Sims game.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 2,501 Member

I'm no expert on the techy stuff, but from what I understand as the games are old and no longer distributed or widely available they're classed as "abandonware" so the laws are more flexible allowing them to be shared. I think the Sims team don't really care as the games are old, they put Sims 2 on Origin for free so I doubt they'd be bothered about this at all

I've tried using that site in the past though and it never worked for me, their servers have been incredibly slow whenever I tried to download the Sims 2 Ultimate collection, I just left it downloading for hours multiple times and it still was only half way done so I gave up