Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Discs on PC, Origin on laptop?

Hi! I have a rather weird question to ask the forum. Is it at all possible to run Sims 3 off of discs on your desktop and at the same time stream Sims 3 from Origin on
a laptop? Or do I have to choose between the two - its either discs on both or digital from Origin for both?

I've finally decided to get a laptop that will run Sims 3 but I'm torn over whether to just go digital or not. Have an external Dvd drive so it's not a problem. What do you think?
Screenshot-5.jpg

Comments

• Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    edited June 2021
    As far as putting one version of the game on one machine and the other on another, there shouldn't be a problem. However, your disk install will stop at update v1.67 while your origin install will stop at their latest patch number.

Also, if you are planning to install content purchased from the Sims 3 store, you may run into an issue with some of the items. A while back, it was discovered if you downloaded your content while having a disk install, that content will not install in a downloaded (Origin) installed game and vice-verse. So, you may be looking at re-downloading your content to fit your installed version.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    It depends how you feel about the launcher, tbh. If you register your discs with Origin, can play the game through it, but you have to use the launcher. The latest patch allows you to select what packs you want to play with, but you have to check it every time you launch the game because it sometimes just deselects packs.

However, playing from discs means you have to do a little extra legwork. First, you need to use the 1.67 superpatch as Origin is on a higher patch. The other issue is store content. While you can install store content using the launcher while staying on 1.67, you no longer receive the content patches as Origin handles them differently. Both the superpatch and the content patches can be found on line.

I personally use discs and have my firewall blocking Sims 3 so it can't populate the "featured items" folder. If you want to use the online content such as Simport, this isn't an option, but I don't.

Now, I one time had Origin reset its settings during an update and it patched Sims 3 to its most recent version. I was able to roll it by back uninstalling the basegame only and reinstalling using my disk, then using the superpatch to get it back to 1.67. I bring this up because if you're running Origin while installing, there's a chance that will happen to you.
  • Options
    jaletu2005jaletu2005 Posts: 688 Member
    OK to recap - and thank you both so much for the info! - I can leave my disc install on my PC (which is patched) and instead of reinstalling my discs on my laptop, I can install Origin, use the registered games on there, and use patch 1.69 and the launcher. But my store content may not work with the Origin version as I had originally downloaded it while using discs. So I might have to rebuy, is that correct?

If I use discs, I need to download and install the super patch and the store patches. But store items will be able to be downloaded and installed.

Whew! I'm glad I asked about this. I had totally forgot about the patches. Thanks again!
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited June 2021
    Your store content is fine. Origin handles the store content differently, so it uses different files to patch the store premium content. It's only an issue if you use the superpatch to run 1.67 and didn't have the store content patch already in your installation.

Edit: You can have the game installed on both machines though you are not supposed to use more than one copy at a time.
  • Options
    @Felicity, thanks for clarifying. If I use Origin, I will use patch 1.69. So I can still use my store content, I just need to download to the laptop. Now this option sounds easier.

I will not be using at the same time, probably will use laptop the most, so hopefully no problem.
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    You will not have to repurchase your store items.

The way they (for some reason) coded/changed the store items is all tied into which version of the base game you have installed at the time of downloading merchandise. If you have the base game disk installed, download your items on that machine and when you make back-ups be certain to label the folder for 'disk install', or something like that. Same goes for Origin base game install. Just download your stuff to that PC and label your back-up folders 'Origin Install' or something clever like that.

I own the entire store plus most of the perks and it does 'suck huge lemons' that I had to download everything twice just to make certain it would work for the install.

**BTW, Be certain to store your back-up files on an external source for safe keeping as we don't know the future of the store.
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I have not put Origin on my PC. I have the disk version of Sims 3 and that's what I've been playing since late in 2017. I have Origin on my laptop so I can play my other games on the laptop but haven't bothered since 2017. Now I think about it I also had the disk version on the laptop and was constantly worried it would somehow update to patch 1.69 without me telling it to which is why I didn't put Origin on the PC.
  • Options
    @mw1525 Thank you for that info and the reminder to backup store items! I will definitely do that. @Karritz I think I will go with Origin for the laptop. Just seems easier. And I won't have to lug that external drive with me. Lots of downloading in my future. Thanks!
    Screenshot-5.jpg