March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Using CC and Mods 1st Time

I'm asking as a few people I watch on YouTube use CC and Mods in their builds and let's plays. I wanted to know does this kind of thing harmful to your game or computer. I have never used such things in any of our games. I've played Sims since it first came out. I've played Sims 1 through to Sims 4. Never not got a expansion, game-pack or stuff-pack.

Since watching one my fave people on YouTube, I'm thinking of trying CC or Mods. I want to know how safe it is before I put it into my game and how easy they are to install and use.

Comments

• Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,418 Member

I hope that I did not steer you to this section wrongly. I hope that you will get many replies to your post. :) Here is a link on how to add mods to your game. https://www.wikihow.com/Add-Mods-to-The-Sims-4 I will not link to any videos are there are many. Just search for how to add mods to sims 4 and they should pull up.

When I first wanted to add mods to my game, I decided to start with a very small change instead of something large. It felt safer to me. There are tuning mods, script mods, and core mods. Tuning mods make very small changes. They are in a .package file. These can be placed 4 or 5 levels deep in your Mods folder. Script mods add more functions into your game and make larger changes. They have two files, a .package file and a .ts4script file. These should be kept together and only go 1 level deep in your Mod folder. They won't work if they are put deeper. Core mods are big mods and change a lot of things about how the game functions. I don't use core mods, but many people do. I have a few script mods. Mostly, I have tuning mods. I personally feel that tuning mods are safer because they have a smaller footprint and change only one thing. They still need to be removed for every patch until you have checked with the creator that they are safe to use with the update.

The first mod I got was one to stop sims from autonomously shoveling snow. That's all it does. My sims spent all their time shoveling snow and would never do anything else. It irritated me. I downloaded a tuning mod and put it in my game. My sims stopped shoveling snow unless I told them to do it. I played my game several times to make sure nothing went wrong or was weird. I've never had any problem with it. The next mod I got added a new lot trait so I could have my sims change into formal clothes every time they visited a lot with that trait. These two mods would not conflict because they effect two different things. If I got a mod that stopped snow shoveling and one that made sims shovel faster, those two mods would conflict because they effect the same thing. Unless you get tuning mods that impact the same resource/ action, you will never have a conflict. As long as mods do not conflict, you should have no trouble with tuning mods. They are safe for your game.

It would be my suggestion to start with a tuning mod and play with it in your game until you feel comfortable. The stop autonomous snow shoveling mod was made by Bienchen. Bienchen is a trustworthy modder and active on the forums. If you would like to take a look at the types of mods available, here is a link to Bienchen's website: https://deichschafblog.de/bienchen/ It does have English translation. The lot trait mod was made by LittleMsSam, another trustworthy modder who is on the forums. Here is a link to her mods: https://littlemssam.tumblr.com/

These are not the only two modders I would recommend, but they have a lot of tuning mods. You may find something you would like to try.

I hope that this was helpful, and I hope that you will have other replies besides just mine. :)
  • gettpsgettps Posts: 420 Member
    CC/Mods can't harm your computer. (Although you should always be careful when downloading anything off the web.)

Worst case... the mod is completely broken and the game won't even run. So, delete the mod. Fixed.

If a mod is old, broken, or just plain written badly... it can cause some strange things to happen in the game. Crashes, invisible sims, lots of strange stuff.

But no matter what happens, removing the mod will always fix it.

Mods can give you a LOT of cool stuff. New items, furniture, content, traits, bug fixes, (This is EA, there are A LOT of bugs) TONS of things to do.

Main downside to using mods is the game is frequently updated. Every time it's updated, a lot of your mods WILL break. And there is NO easy fix for that if you have hundreds of mods. You MUST go through them all... ONE... BY... ONE.

Any program claiming to do it for you all at once with just the click of a button... "conflict detectors" are LYING.

Mods give you a lot of good stuff... but there's a cost to it...