Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ideas to improve the Dream Home Decorator pack

Sul Sul!

I've been playing the Dream Home Decorator pack and I've been thinking of a couple ideas to improve it, as I'm sure many of you have as well. I don't know if a thread like this already exists. If so, I apologise! I'm not talking about bugs as those will no doubt be fixed in time. These are just improvements in the game-play.

Here are my ideas... feel free to add yours!

1. Let us add our own artwork and for that to be recognised.
- It would be super nice to be able to spend time painting a masterpiece and to donate it to a client for their renovation and for that to be recognised in the final verdict as a positive (or negative!) thing.

2. Can the likes and dislikes of the client be room-specific please?
- For example: Having a like of fitness when renovating a kitchen is kind of ridiculous in my opinion. Let's make it relevant to the room.

What are your ideas?
~o Sapphire o~
Gallery

Comments

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Sul Sul!

I've been playing the Dream Home Decorator pack and I've been thinking of a couple ideas to improve it, as I'm sure many of you have as well. I don't know if a thread like this already exists. If so, I apologise! I'm not talking about bugs as those will no doubt be fixed in time. These are just improvements in the game-play.

Here are my ideas... feel free to add yours!

1. Let us add our own artwork and for that to be recognised.
    - It would be super nice to be able to spend time painting a masterpiece and to donate it to a client for their renovation and for that to be recognised in the final verdict as a positive (or negative!) thing.

- For example: Having a like of fitness when renovating a kitchen is kind of ridiculous in my opinion. Let's make it relevant to the room.

What are your ideas?

If they like fitness when decorating a kitchen, I would think they would be happy to get rid of the kitchen island and put a TV in so they have space to exercise. They could also watch cooking shows. :)
  • g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Knowing that they like fitness would be helpful to not add an ice cream machine. As for the artwork, I doubt any interior decorator would donate a masterpiece.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,887 Member
    edited June 2021
    mostly I am just disappointed about the lacking swatches of new items given favourite colors of your clients plays such a big part

aaand the fact that you cant put the new cooktop on same counter with oven is just weird

I also noticed the hug you get from happy client clips pretty hard at jaw/mouth

but well I'm not complaining cause it looks perfectly spoopy and inappropriate and i love it :lol:

i would indeed like to add custom paintings or the career objects but im not sure which sim has to unlock career object so i can use it (i just want me some dang art lights)
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited June 2021
    Thanks for starting this thread. I just recently got this pack and at first I was both busy and while playing, I was with a household of sims in university. I just switched over to playing the household with this pack and added a decorator character as a roommate to another sim who is a knitting stylist. So far, I haven't played the gigs yet. It's deep winter and "tomorrow" in the game is Winterfest, so I'll be playing this in the next few real life days.

1. So far, I know that I would like to see them add a handiness trait. As in, there should be a trait for those who love being handy. This pack also should have come with an aspiration. It's weird that it doesn't. Come on, you're wanting to get the builders to play with the game, give them a chance to have personalities. Just like you have fabricators and knitters, it's odd that you don't have any aspirations for the main character.

They really ought to patch this in. Also, the love of handiness would be helpful for a lot of types of sims. I only realized it when I tried creating a character for this career.

2. It would be great to have the ability to make customized crafts or decor for the homes. TV design people do that all the time. It would be a bit like EL. I haven't actually played a gig yet but I'd really like the designer to be able to do original tasks. That's in line with the recommendation above to add your own paintings to a house. I'd like them to be able to paint their own chairs and tables in addition to what you can just add from CAS/BB. Even better, that could help to come in under budget more.

I think the CAS/BB is pretty good so far. What is in there is stuff that I'll use. I also like the recent update of hair colors. The types of decor styles that they added are nice, frankly. I don't have comments on playing gigs yet but so far when I checked, I saw that it was recommending some houses that I have thought are drab and plain. Fun but yes, if they want to add to this pack, I'll be happy.

3. I think this might have been a pack where they could have added the pottery and glass. You could make the objects and then add them as the decorator. We might have had less complaining if they'd done that. This also could have been a pack that added a color wheel.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    1. Give punishments for damaging the property or penalties for leaving the house dirty during the big reveal.

2. Give us the option to request a renovation as a service.

3. Make likes and dislikes actually suit the personalities of the Sims. The least they can do is go through all EA families and give them likes and dislikes based on their personality. I get that they can't give them to every NPC but the pre-mades aren't that many. It's probably a day's worth of work. I can even do it myself but if I start a new save then they are deleted again so it would be nice to have the likes and dislikes preset for every fresh save.

4. Add an aspiration or trait. Like the "perfect renovator aspiration" which would be a sim who wants pristine reputation in the job and renovate at least 25 lots successfully.
    Or add a "mischievious renovator aspiration" which could involve goals like "Give 10 bad renovations", "Steal 50 objects from client's homes" etc.

5. Give more than "Pintrest" objects. Everything in this game is cute pink, baby blue with florals and whatever. Every single pack that comes out has the same BB and CAS. I would love to see more interesting, unique designs that allow for better role-play. But I know a lot of streamers wouldn't like that cause all they do is build "cutesy" stuff.

6. This might be taking it far but I think they could have added a stylist carreer with this one. They already have the gig system and even have the makeover system from Get Famous jobs. It would have been terribly easy to put a Stylist career.

7. Most importantly fix the bugs.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • StinalinaStinalina Posts: 2,396 Member
    I Honestly think the decorator job is pretty boring - Not that I dont want it, but I did a few jobs, and its just too easy to satisfy the costumer, even from your first job where you dont know anything about what they won't. It was so weird that I could choose the room to decorate on most jobs! Then I got a job at tree roommates with very different style likes - and they all loved it too... Thanks, but really?

I do love the decor items and would love more off the same series. Most of all cabinets that are as deep as a counter. 1 Sim tile, to make some interesting walls. Some more arches in the design; Like a wallpaper, closet doors arched in a square form, to be matched with the existing cabinets. A few more colours and other textures on the doors, chair backs and drawers, like a French Rattan weave in different wood and painted chalk nuances. A matching Bar - and a functional bar cabinet.

A throw blanket matching the colours of the furnitures in "giant" knit and quilt texture, that can be placed on bed or lounges (It does not have to be functional, it's okay if its just a decoration).

It would be awesome with some beautiful "natural" marble, quarts, travertine surfaces, for walls and floors, without ANY boarders, panels, fresco, trims etc. Just a big beautiful slab off good looking stone. - In various matching colours, including the same stone surfaces for the series kitchen counters & cabinets, some boxy stone tables, and a whole boxy bathroom series (-Stone on all sides!), a matching stone fireplace, but in a different style than all the existing ones. I would love an open fireplace, one you can place in a wall so its open on 3 sides, creating an open space under the wall structure. Maybe 3 different sizes, or sections you can connect endlessly for indoor and outdoor spaces....

Last thing I would love to see is seamless windows. And/or half walls and different (wall) hight fences in seamless glas. It would be nice with 3 options: one that have matte glass like the new doors, and one with matte glass on just one side, and one clear one both sides, maybe with a few shade options.

Please :smiley:

That's my most wanted wish list.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,887 Member
    one thing more i noted today: it would be nice to be able to suggest home makeover to another sim so they come up with gig for you because i keep getting everyone but the houses i actually want to edit
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • dacipota4everdacipota4ever Posts: 3 New Member
    I am not sure if this exists already or not in the game/pack: the ability for one of my active households to request a renovation so a Sim decorator in another active household can see it next time they look for a gig. @SimmerGeorge seems to suggest this too. For instance, say family A would like to renovate a room for their newly grown/aged teenager. They can go on the computer, place the advertisement/request for a decorator with budget requirements, etc. Next time I play household B, where the decorator lives, when they look up a gig, they will see among the gigs available to them, the advertisement for family A.
  • carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    edited June 2021
    Really good point and ideas @SimmerGeorge, I really agree that the pack is missing an new ambition, but most of all, as you and @dacipota4ever say, why can´t we hire an interior designer?
    :)<3Can this option please be patched in later on? :)<3

This is my ideas on it:

1. Play on a household (Family A) in need of a renovation. Select “Hire interior designer” on your phone. You will get a list will all available designers (all sims in the interior designer career in your save).

2. Select designer, renovation type (kitchen/bedroom/level/etc) and budget (will use your household funds). The payment to the designer + the renovation will be debited from your family funds.

3. You will get sent to a loading screen and you will now switch to Family B (the designer). Complete the gig as usual. After the revelation (promotion/gig payment) you will get the option to go back to Family A (loading screen) or continue playing with Family B (the designer).

4. The renovation will give the sims in Family A a specific moodlet and sentiment depending on if they were satisfied or not with the renovation. (there are actually a new sentiment in this pack, I love that!).

Isn´t the system to all this already there? It would give the game a more feeling of immersion (not that you just playing lonely sim families that are isolated from the rest of the sim world, if you know what I mean haha!).

I would love to play with this, it would be great for storytelling, challenges, replayability and bring some more “life” to the gameplay (and a great opportunity for rich sims to burn some money haha!). <3o:)Dear sim gods, Lords of the sim universe, Can this please be patched in later on? Please! Please! Please! o:)<3 (I promise to not put more walls around pools, eat my peas and get treatment for my kleptomaniac trait... ok?) o:)
    Post edited by carpe_diem on
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    edited June 2021

What are your ideas?

So I don't have this pack but some ppl have said that not all the info you get from clients is useful for what you're building. And you have to keep asking till you get smth you can work with.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr