Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

On average, how long do you spend in CAS making 1 sim?

Just curious. I'm talking about 1 sim, not a family. Just. One. Sim.

How long it takes for you to create them? Hey, there is no shame, be honest here. :p
chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
._.

On average, how long do you spend in CAS making 1 sim? 91 votes

No longer than 5 minutes
2%
texxx78Sharonia 2 votes
No longer than 10 minutes
10%
PlayerSinger2010momboqueenmitchiebanjoAnthonydyercomicsforlifeButtersimsAgmolly210RememberJoyCoriandreSaturninex 10 votes
No longer than 20 minutes
10%
icmnfrshtallcooloneMizzila1297ChampandGirlieRsandamw1525EnkiSchmidtSleepstarElisetomAnisEB97 10 votes
No longer than 30 minutes
2%
benson2006Simmer2500 2 votes
Around 30 minutes
9%
GrumpyOldWomanGabbyGirlJInfraGreenGITTE2001OnverserlogionMageKnightEmolgaMyriadSimsLJK 9 votes
Somewhere between 40 to 50 minutes
3%
ncisGibbs02KennziKaigeKelvin 3 votes
About 1 hour
6%
MamaSimTeePuddinroyDarkLady2788EA_Marithenameslynith13Geralt_ofRivia 6 votes
More than 1 hour
21%
Emily4331jaletu2005SimsplyRuthEarcatJeansooBabykittyjadeannaliese39AstrococoBreazonasimmerLelladdd994Nikkei_SimmerSeashoreLiviaKeiomestrerubyskywalkeringridmfVaChutrineloedishasimmergurll 20 votes
IDK - Who time themselves anyway?
19%
ghilieemorrillAlexaKrybekkasanKatyFernlilySims4MagicalTalessof2106SimKeatsstephAnie1864MareahSERVERFRATurjanAyKooChaocapturethemagicPurpleHeatherSimSpockZazzyKittynCalico45 18 votes
Others (Please specify in comments)
12%
Deshong04ParyCororonMikezumiCAPTAIN_NXR7BrandontaylorSprottenhamHauk150LogicallyironicfiggyMoonlightGraham 11 votes

Comments

• Options
    KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    What can I say, I get carried away easily. :D
    ._.
  • Options
    figgyfiggy Posts: 179 Member
    It really varies for me. Depending on who I need to create to fit story. Sometimes it's just a filler character, and sometimes it's someone who I will be focusing on developing during my rotations. That said, I always try to spend as little time as possible in CAS, because I don't enjoy the process of trying to style a sim.

Sometimes it takes me 1+ hours if I am really invested in creating a long lasting Sim and can't find proper clothes to match, or am meddling too much with the make-up sliders. Sometimes I just randomize and slightly adjust anything I don't like, if the Sim is just a sidekick. But I enjoy building and storytelling way more than CAS, so I try to keep the necessary time in CAS as short as possible so I can move on to the fun things.

I do go to CAS a bit while playing, when I need to edit generated sims, rename, or edit and create relatives, but that usually doesn't take more than 10 minutes per.

Oh and almost forgot that the CAS includes creating Cats and Dogs. I spend more time on creating my dogs than I do creating my human sims. I love the paint feature and all the ways to change shape of everything. Almost every household I play has some/many dogs and some cats, and those who don't will get them somewhere down the line. They usually get strays but then I give them a complete make over based largely on the dogs I know IRL. I wonder if there's anyone else who spends more time on creating dogs than their human sims?
    simming since 2000┃origin: daFigg ┃radiohead-head, potterhead, doodie-head
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    No longer than 5 minutes
    I'm always in a hurry to start playing :lol:
  • Options
    BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,773 Member
    As much time as it takes to create who I want. And then, it may not be all at once.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited June 2021
    More than 1 hour
    Perhaps I am a perfectionist, but I can happily spend several hours in CAS.
  • Options
    KeiomestreKeiomestre Posts: 195 Member
    More than 1 hour
    1 sim takes a few hours. But when creating a family each sim takes less and less time.
    ..... ..... ..... ..... My favorite Sims 3 family: THE ENFADONHOS!..... ..... ..... .....
    Vgfhu74.jpg
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Honestly, i feel like it relies on my mood. Sometimes i dont feel like spending too much time making sims so i just rush through it. I dont really pay attention to the time though, but i would like to do that as i have gotten curious now XD
  • Options
    Hauk150Hauk150 Posts: 358 Member
    My sim creation time varies. It depends on what character I’m making, how much inspired I am, or how hard or easy is that character to make, some of them are faster an easier to make, others require more time. But I don’t like to pressure myself and end with a bad result, I take all the time I need to finish it and end satisfied with my creations :)
  • Options
    emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    ^I had to vote that one because it was funny! :lol: And yeah...I don't time myself. :p

Seriously though, it depends on the sim and what I am creating them for. :)
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited June 2021
    I picked others. Because sometimes a sim just almost makes itself, and everything goes right all at once, and I can be done in under half an hour. However sometimes, the tweaking of a sim to get what I am envisioning, takes SO LONG and I can be in CAS for hours ( not all at once ) so I have to save the sim to work on for another day.

P.S - and then nearly all of mine turn out looking like relatives of each other anyway. It's maddening!
    Also I love your avatar. Again.

:)
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    Honestly, no idea. I only have one custom slider, and as I have an idea what they do nowadays, it takes me less time than last year. Starting with someone else's sim or a pre-made from the game cuts off even more time. For some sims, it only takes as much time as the clothes take to load. Needless to say, female sims take much longer because they already have so much stuff for them without adding anything custom (scroll... scroll... scroll...) :wink: .
  • Options
    trineloetrineloe Posts: 37 Member
    More than 1 hour
    When I'm finally in CAS, I do spend a lot of time! A sim considered middle class will have 4 daily outfits and 3 of the rest.
    I do try to spend less time, since I hate not finishing the family in one game - but sometimes, I just don't have the time! On the other hand, I'm not good at making male sims, so they normally take less time.
    But if I need a play-test sim, I just let the dice decide and do some minor touches. :)
    Gallery ID: trineloe
    ~~ building life ~~
  • Options
    figgy wrote: »
    ... I wonder if there's anyone else who spends more time on creating dogs than their human sims?

I have honestly never tried to create a pet from scratch in sims 3; just like what @Pary said, I myself am an animal person IRL, but for some reason can't grow attached to any of the virtual pets in the game like I would to my sims. I had played around with some of the cool tools exclusively available for CAP and used them to edit a pet already generated by the game but that was about the most effort I was willing to pour into making a pet, which I seldom do. Don't get me wrong, the tools are very neat, and I feel happy for whomever finding CAP fun :)
    Pary wrote: »
    ... However sometimes, the tweaking of a sim to get what I am envisioning, takes SO LONG and I can be in CAS for hours ( not all at once ) so I have to save the sim to work on for another day.

P.S - and then nearly all of mine turn out looking like relatives of each other anyway. It's maddening!
    Also I love your avatar. Again.

:)

Yes, that part I highlighted, I definitely agree with. I have sometimes become visually-exhausted of staring at the same face for an extended period of time that I figured the face sculpting should continue some other time; and then the next time I return and see the same face I was working on last time and say to myself: "Wow, how did I think this nose looked okay, I should fix it now." It's happened to me way too many times. :D

Aww, thank you again, for your kind words :blush:
    ._.
  • Options
    SprottenhamSprottenham Posts: 1,143 Member
    Probably anything from 10 minutes to an hour depending on how important I plan the sim to be. Most of the time is spent on facial features, and a little bit on clothes if I have a specific idea.

For clothes, a lot of the time I just go with what the game already suggested, with some minor tweaks.
    th1das9.png
    Sub blogs: #01 Sunset Valley. #02: Lake Onebega #03: Sprottenham #04: Bewickton
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    More than 1 hour
    I have over 300 custom sliders, so of course I have to go through each one to see how it alters my sim.

And if I’m making a sim based on the likeness of someone, I have to get it as close as I can and sometimes that can take at least 2 hours, lol.
  • Options
    SleepstarSleepstar Posts: 816 Member
    edited June 2021
    No longer than 20 minutes
    It depends, but on average it takes between 15-20 minutes to create one Sim
    Currently aiming to get all harvestable produce in The Sims 3 (One EP left)Will complete a Legacy one dayhttps://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=katcalls2k907 (My Wishlist)
  • Options
    AlexaKryAlexaKry Posts: 2,706 Member
    I don´t look at my watch when playing, or when I spend my time in CAS.

The time I spend on one Sim depends on for what I create it. If it is just a Sim which has to fullfill a certain role I just randomize a Sim and style his clothes.
    If the Sims has a more permanent or important role, I create it from the scratch and be very perfectionist about the face and the clothes.
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited June 2021
    I have had sims that only took minutes (not counting the time it takes to dress them) :p Most of my other sims really don't take very long (less than half an hour) but undergo minor tweaks over the years as my style changes or as I add more custom sliders to my game.
  • Options
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    I have had sims that only took minutes (not counting the time it takes to dress them) :p Most of my other sims really don't take very long (less than half an hour) but undergo minor tweaks over the years as my style changes or as I add more custom sliders to my game.

They sure look fine in their birthday suits. :D
    ._.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I don't know anymore. I stopped timing myself about 3 years ago.
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    I do not recall if I have ever timed myself creating a Sim, but if I had to guess then it depends. Sometimes I just want to create a new Sim quickly and get back to the game and sometimes I can take much longer such as 30 minutes or more. Then there are times when I can take hours which kind of just add up from working on a single Sim and saving them and then coming back to make changes until I settle with something I like.

A good majority of the Sims I play are ones I created and the others are either ones that I downloaded or ones that I change because they are randomly generated Sims with preset features at zero.
    For example the female Sim, Richelle, is a randomly generated one who I changed to make her unique. I don't usually go and change every single zero slider Sim because I do not have the patience. So I reserve that for Sims who get involved with my Sims whether friends or more. Because really that zero slider preset look bothers me.
    Screenshot-2103.jpg

He used to be a mixologist and then I changed him and pretty much added him to my main game so now he's a resident but I currently moved him to Bridgeport.
    Screenshot-3958.jpg

These next 3 I just quickly used presets. The first one was a proprietor and the other two cashier role Sims.
    Screenshot-2663.jpg

Screenshot-2660.jpg

Screenshot-2658.jpg

Examples of Sims I created:
    Screenshot-1469.jpg

Screenshot-1924.jpg

Screenshot-1936.jpg

Screenshot-458.jpg

Screenshot-5632.jpg

Screenshot-1302.jpg

Screenshot-355.jpg

Screenshot-551.jpg

Screenshot-67.jpg

She is based off of one of many City Shine Barbie dolls. I plan on doing male version, perhaps with the fashionistas or something.
    Screenshot-363.jpg

These two I created as young adults as you can see in their portrait because now they are elders. I cannot wait until more Sims age to elders.
    Screenshot-503.jpg

Daniel is up for download in my Sim Studio but for my game I changed his hair. Someone wanted to download my male Sim (the one in the portrait as a young adult) but I didn't want to share that particular Sim so that's how Daniel got thought up, lol.
    Screenshot-303.jpg

The one to the left, Luna, I created as albino and the guy on the right used to be the repair technician but I changed him since he got involved with my Sims. And currently I moved him to Sunlit Tides now.
    Screenshot-275.jpg

My classic Hollywood movie star inspired Sim. Though she may have a slight resemblance to Betty Boop, Marilyn Monroe and/or Lucy from I Love Lucy.
    Lucille4.png

These Sims I created specifically with a scenario in mind to play out which is Castaway inspired by The Sims 2 Castaway, but I still didn't do that yet.
    Screenshot-141.jpg

Screenshot-145.jpg

Screenshot-147.jpg

Screenshot-110.jpg

Screenshot-111.jpg

Yes, Sim creation is one of my favorite pastimes and CASt is one of the best features to ever happen to The Sims 3. :love:
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited June 2021
    No longer than 5 minutes
    I take about five to ten minutes tops. As long as the sims look decent by my standards then I’m happy.
  • Options
    @Deshong04 Awesim sims! They all look so unique :0
    ._.
  • Options
    LogicallyironicLogicallyironic Posts: 137 Member
    TF+ sims take a while for me, in the ballpark of 30-45 min. TM+ about half that, and children and toddlers take very little time (10 min tops).
  • Options
    LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    edited June 2021
    Around 30 minutes
    For me, if I'm making a Sim that's as detailed and unique as possible, with potential to be a major story character? Around 30 minutes. Longer, if I make multiple Everyday outfits, sleep, Hot, Cold, etc. Especially if I get stuck and unsure how to fix the Sim's appearance, but become too stubborn to delete the Sim.