Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

RoM: Show off your sages!

Back when Realm of Magic came out, quite a few players were disappointed by how boring most of the sages looked in the game compared to the trailers. So maybe I'm not the only one who edited or even completely replaced them.

With the Mass Effect Legendary Edition reigniting my love for that franchise, I decided to remake the three sages in the image of the Citadel councillors. So here they are, from left to right:

weisenabj0c.jpg

- The sage of practical magic, formerly known as Simeon Silversweater, is now Sparatus Quint, inspired by the Turian councillor Sparatus and his successor Quentius.
- The sage of mischievous magic, formerly L. Faba, is now Irissa Tevos, inspired by the Asari councillors. Her tentacle hair was made by a modder called Crazy Mammoth.
- Last but not least, I did the unthinkable and changed the immensely popular Morgyn Ember as well, so the sage of untamed magic is now Valern Esheel, inspired by the Salarian councillors.

What have you done with the sages?

Comments

• To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Ooooh, I like your take on the Sage of Untamed magic. I never did like Morgyn.

These are the kinds of things that make me want to play. They look awesome.

—T
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,873 Member

Depends on save, sometimes they get a makeover, sometimes all get replaced, and If I do not have any reason at all to visit Realm, I do nothing to them.

All 3 got a makeover in my latest save I have used ROM stuff.

kYaonTB.png´

oxulZ6F.png

vIEzGJM.png
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    I was really disappointed that the original Sage from the trailer was replaced with Morgyn Ember.
    So I gender-swapped Morgyn and recreated her. I named her Morgaine Ember.
    09-11-19_7-21-55nbspAM.png

I gave her a key to the house so she could visit whenever she liked and instruct my sims.
    09-15-19_10-53-12nbspPM.png

09-15-19_10-55-48nbspPM.png

The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    edited May 2021
    Oooh I did change my Sages way way back, will go through some pics and see if I can find them. I think I made three
    sisters. Let me go hunt :)

edit...found them ;) Triplets identical sisters all three born magical <3

bfAxW5R.png
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    To7m wrote: »
    Ooooh, I like your take on the Sage of Untamed magic. I never did like Morgyn.
    I never really got the hype around him either. I didn't hate him or anything, he was still my favourite among the original three, but I never wanted his babies, thank you very much. (And I like my version better, too. :# )

Depends on save, sometimes they get a makeover, sometimes all get replaced, and If I do not have any reason at all to visit Realm, I do nothing to them.

All 3 got a makeover in my latest save I have used ROM stuff.

kYaonTB.png´

oxulZ6F.png

vIEzGJM.png
    All very pretty-looking sims! Is that a cc top your sage of mischief is wearing? I don't think I've ever seen it before.

CK213 wrote: »
    I was really disappointed that the original Sage from the trailer was replaced with Morgyn Ember.
    So I gender-swapped Morgyn and recreated her. I named her Morgaine Ember.
    [...]
    I gave her a key to the house so she could visit whenever she liked and instruct my sims.
    That confused me, too! She was so heavily featured in the first trailer, but nowhere to be found in the actual game, and when they finally added her to the gallery, she came with a different name than what we were told originally... All very strange. But your recreation of her looks awesome, especially with the key necklace after you said you gave her access to your sims' home. I image she can use that key to go anywhere she wants.

mcrudd wrote: »
    found them ;) Triplets identical sisters all three born magical <3

bfAxW5R.png
    I like that they all wear the same dress in different colours, that's something I wanted to do with own sages, but the outfit I had in mind didn't look so good on the female sage. What are their names?
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    So many cool looking sages. I went closer to the trailer versions but there are some original ideas here.

I also edited the sages for my personal save file. I almost forgot the original ones.
    I liked the sage from the first ROM trailer, with Morgyn being a new spellcaster who just discovered magic. So I swapped Sage Morgyn for Aine (called Anya in my game). Morgyn is now a regular spellcaster in my sims world. I also edited the other two sages. Simeon looks closer to the sage in the second trailer and L Faba is now a mischievous fairy.
    kVoXRHw.png
  • GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    I haven't touched them but this is totally inspiring me to go in and fix them up!
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Can someone remind me how you change the sages to your own? I’m playing a legacy and have a new spellcaster and I hate the sages that are there.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,873 Member
    @GrumpyGlowfish , Thanks :) Top is from Paranormal :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
    Akl500P wrote: »
    Can someone remind me how you change the sages to your own? I’m playing a legacy and have a new spellcaster and I hate the sages that are there.

I just edited the existing ones. When you go to manage household you will find them in there as sims not in the world. You can edit them from there. If you use the cas full edit cheat before you enter cas you can even change gender, skin color, facial structure, traits, body shape,...

I think you can even use new sims and give them the appropriate hidden traits to have them show up as sages but I don't know all the details to make that work.
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I liked the sage from the first ROM trailer, with Morgyn being a new spellcaster who just discovered magic. So I swapped Sage Morgyn for Aine (called Anya in my game). Morgyn is now a regular spellcaster in my sims world. I also edited the other two sages. Simeon looks closer to the sage in the second trailer and L Faba is now a mischievous fairy.
    kVoXRHw.png
    Very nice, I love the mischievous fairy especially!

I just edited the existing ones. When you go to manage household you will find them in there as sims not in the world. You can edit them from there. If you use the cas full edit cheat before you enter cas you can even change gender, skin color, facial structure, traits, body shape,...

I think you can even use new sims and give them the appropriate hidden traits to have them show up as sages but I don't know all the details to make that work.
    Yeah, that's how my current sages were created, too. But how did you replace Morgyn with Anya then? Did you just make him a played sim so he lost his sage status, and edited whoever took his place?

GirafHuntr wrote: »
    I haven't touched them but this is totally inspiring me to go in and fix them up!
    Great! Make sure to share them here when you're done. :)

Yeah, that's how my current sages were created, too. But how did you replace Morgyn with Anya then? Did you just make him a played sim so he lost his sage status, and edited whoever took his place?

I basically heavily edited the existing sage until Morgyn became Anya. You can still see the resemblance in the face.
    Before I started, I saved Morgyn to the gallery and then put a slightly edited copy of him in my an empty house in willow creek. Then edited that house to suit a spellcaster and added a cauldron.
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    edited June 2021
    for @Akl500P and others asking how to change existing sims into sages, here's my comment explaining such in the hidden traits thread:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17246307#Comment_17246307

i definitely suggest adding some other hidden traits mentioned in the next few posts, as well. to me one of the biggest ones is 'spellcaster premade', which i add to every spellcaster i make. that trait ensures they don't change into random outfits each time they enter the magic realm when unplayed

as for my sages themselves, you can see one in that comment. i've taken a sort of 'american gods' style approach, deciding that each of my 3 sages is actually a deity from some culture in the world. that hasn't fully panned out yet, but two of the three fit so far (untamed is more difficult for it than i expected)

first up is cody changing dog (named after and slightly based on characters from charles de lint's urban fantasy books, the not-exactly-a-series, newford books. he mixes a lot of native american and celtic mythology together, with hints of other things, in a city somewhere in northern north america)

cody is meant to be coyote, the trickster in many stories from numerous native american tribes. he's usually depicted as having a good heart/good intentions but frequently doing things for his own aggrandizement, yet frequently messing up somehow. because of that, i gave him the ambitious, clumsy and self-absorbed traits

eba334ea50ff526e926d25d111f447e9.png

i also gave him himself as a familiar... a unique dog based on navajo artwork depicting coyote. (annoyingly, pets as familiars will not show up in the magic realm. i was hoping to have both versions of coyote together all the time)
    9cbf7cb3e71c8e172c1273dc8e8af431.png

originally, i had planned on making a version of baron samedi for this role, or even papa legba for the practical sage, but wound up not being happy with any of my attempts at creating them. instead, i've got a handful of voudon practitioner spellcasters scattered about

for practical sage, i'd bounced a lot of ideas around and tried several out but was never happy with them (such as the afore-mentioned papa legba from haitian voodoo). then i found somebody's attempt at a kitsune on the gallery shortly before snowy escape was released. she was originally created as a vampire but i downloaded her, changed her to a spellcaster and edited slightly to make her inari kitsune, based on the trickster/guardian japanese deity, inari (who can be both male and female as they see fit).

c49fdc6d8e092d1fc333606aff5c0e0d.png

one of my favorite things about this upload was the fox they had alongside her, which i made into her familiar. but, as mentioned for cody... i'm sad they don't actually show up in the magic realm...
    41d4cf84c36c5a1b7addba6d948fbf3d.png

and then the untamed sage... as mentioned, none of the mythological beings i could think of really suited the role like i wanted so for now i've been using a version of aine, but am sorely considering putting ganon here in the role instead

b4b12f55b3dca8a48db0fc69794e1534.png
    ganon is, of course, based on the main villain from the legend of zelda series though this version is also very much designed around a character in remi marocelli's plumbob princess machinima that i can't recommend enough. this version isn't intended as a bad guy but he is hot-headed to give him bursts of anger which i feel would suit someone in charge of the volatile effects of untamed magic

i've kept morgyn around as a regular spellcaster. and for me, 'regular' has a rather broad meaning, since i've got elves (including drow), frankenstein style monsters, 'demons' of various stripes (fire and water as examples) and even a skeleton among my spellcasters, alongside various sorcerers, shamans, witches and wizards based on caster concepts from around the world
    i also kept ethren reyes from that official maxis upload of the trailer sages, though i made him minerva charm's love interest and then killed him off via spellcaster overload because i'm a cruel deity. i consider him now bound to her house, so of course had his ghost move in with them
    @kalaksed Wow, what a deep dive! That’s awesome!

Do you play with MCCC? If you go into Self-Command cheats with MCCC on a spellcaster is there an option to summon familiar? I know with vampires I can do things like turn the bat form on and off on NPCs that way.
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
    @GirafHuntr
    i don't really mess with mccc, though have used it a few times to fix some family relationships that got messed up at various times (especially when transferring saved sims into a new save after game corruption. had to have my extended families all still be related properly)

i tend to like my mods less invasive in general, just because of how they can break (or be broken by) things so easily with updates. but now i do wonder if that one aspect will work
    i know the non-cheat version of that only works on the currently controlled sim, so can't be used on the sages without stripping their sagehood
    @kalaksed Next time I am in there I can try to check it out. Even though MCCC is extensive, it gets updated the same day a patch comes out. That’s one creator who’s incredibly on top of it. :)
    kalaksed wrote: »
    for @Akl500P and others asking how to change existing sims into sages, here's my comment explaining such in the hidden traits thread:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17246307#Comment_17246307

i definitely suggest adding some other hidden traits mentioned in the next few posts, as well. to me one of the biggest ones is 'spellcaster premade', which i add to every spellcaster i make. that trait ensures they don't change into random outfits each time they enter the magic realm when unplayed

The spellcaster premade trait sounds very interesting. I currently have a mod to get rid of those awful outfits in the magic realm. I didn't realise there was an in game way of preventing this for sims. Just when I thought I was finally ready with my custom save file...
    @kalaksed Thank you for the explanation, I didn't even know there was a premade spellcaster trait! And your sages are also very interesting, both their looks and origins. Things like basing the sages on mythological creatures, that's exactly the kind of creativity I was hoping to see when I made this thread.

Slightly off-topic (look at me, derailing my own thread), but is there also a trait or another (non-MCCC) solution that prevents the game from turning unplayed sims into witches? I regularly make families unplayed when I'm not currently interested in them, both to improve performance and not exceed the 200 sims limit, and before I know it, they're swinging wands in the Magic Realm or studying at the univeristy, sometimes losing their jobs in the process.
  • AmeliaToddAmeliaTodd Posts: 226 Member
    edited June 2021
    kalaksed wrote: »
    to me one of the biggest ones is 'spellcaster premade', which i add to every spellcaster i make. that trait ensures they don't change into random outfits each time they enter the magic realm when unplayed

Life changing!!! Shame it only works for the Magic Realm. I have a "Patchy" who is a mage, every time I don't play that household and then return to it, my Patchy wears some randomness and every time, the first time it happened I didn't even recognized him and though "when did i created this guy?" I'll be so happy if we ever get a situational outfits off button.
    edited June 2021
    for those who asked, the 'spellcaster premade' trait you want to add looks like this: trait_Hidden_SpellcasterPremade
    (there's a lot more information in my posts in that hidden traits thread on how to add or remove the traits, what some do and so on. and a list of them, of course. though i did have some typos early on)
    know, one big, big caveat for the premade trait is it has to be used before that sim sets foot in the magic realm. if it's put in after, they totally ignore it and reroll their outfits like others. (a way around this, if you don't mind losing relationships and such is to add the trait, save to library, delete original, place library version in in their stead)

a way to be slightly on topic: if you give an actively played sim one (or all) of the sage traits, they'll lose the trait when you change lots with them but they'll also learn all the spells for that school. which is a really quick way to learn them...

each premade that came in the rom pack also had a unique trait that included their name in it. took me a while to figure out what those did but turns out they're sort of... like presets. every sim you give trait_Magic_Fixups_GraceAnansi to (as an example) will have the exact same spells and potions learned, while the ones that just have trait_Magic_Fixups_Spells_MagicVenueNPC_Intermediate will have a randomized assortment of spells (similar for the potions trait similar to it)

as for a way to keep your sims from becoming spellcasters while they're unplayed... the only thing i can think of is ensure you have what the game considers enough townie casters with intermediate or novice traits. probably around 20-25 should do it but i'm not really sure (i've got 57 spellcasters in my game, 10 of them are townies with the novice trait set (spells and potions) and 11 are townies with the intermediate set. can't exactly say if that's enough to keep sims being turned into those caster townies or if it's just that i've got so many casters in general for it

@AmeliaTodd i feel you on that patchy... the skeleton caster i mentioned is kinda similar. she's a temple guardian from jungle adventure that i cheated into a household and made a spellcaster because i thought it was cool. any time i play the household, she's a skeleton... but... well, this household picture explains a lot:
    4cca34ec2344efe8667fa1413b2631ad.png
    one of the others here is a mermaid, the guy is a humanized gorilla from the gallery i couldn't resist grabbing

and i know they're not sages, but i'll put a few pics of my more mythological spellcasters in spoiler tags below

the first one is one of the quartets of caster townies i tossed on the gallery. all the others are more human, though two are a bit fantastic looking
    c6bb3f32fd6eee951c676ac8e4d89e69.png
    here we have a drow, an ifrit (demon of fire), marid (demon of water) and... just something random

a trio of elves (again, one's a drow)
    55284499f9eae91833bfa080d0add6fa.pngthe one in the middle isn't a spellcaster, but the other two are

and an 'opposites attract' pair, another fire and water duo
    dcd9b044b9376aa203ef9f4d7cfb0d2f.pngcan't really see from this but the woman has shark eyes and shark teeth and the man is either another ifrit or a more traditionally western fire demon. not really 100% on his background. just liked the way he looked

...um... i apparently don't know how to make short posts
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member

My mad bunch of sages:

3-Sages-PORTRAITS.jpg

Left to Right:
    • Sage of Practical Magic - Mary Magic.
    • Sage of Untamed Magic- The Gloom.
    • Sage of Mischief Magic - Tommy TweeTwigs.

3Sages.jpg

The Gloom is always angry because he's embarrassed about his buckle shoes. The only thing he wants is a pair of snazzy boots but one of his apprentices once cursed his feet by accident. To this day he's been unable to find a way to break the curse. As a consequence his apprentices rarely survive their training. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    My mad bunch of sages:

3-Sages-PORTRAITS.jpg
    That's pretty dang awesome Cap'.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Vili_K3Vili_K3 Posts: 3 New Member
    I am currently working on legacy families whose decendants will eventually become the sages. I am also working on an Alchemy family and a Medium family. I think it's weird there's not already an alchemy sage and I wish there was a way to get a Medium Sage or at least some kind of mentor. We should at least be able to make the Magic Realm haunted so we can have Guidry show up over there
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Okay here are my sages
    titubatejoa.jpg
    Madame Tituba Perrault
    Sage Of Untamed Magic

ursulao5kzj.jpg
    Ursula Grimm
    Sage Of Practical Magic

alicebujhs.jpg
    Alice Andersen
    Sage Of Mischievious Magic

All named after authors/collectors of fairytales (Charles Perrault, Brothers Grimm and Hans-Christian Andersen), Tituba is the name of the first woman to be accused of witchcraft during the Salem witchtrials, Ursula is named after the disney seawitch and Alice...well, Alice in Wonderland.

They are all female cuz in my game it's a witches school and not a spellcaster HQ.
    The former HQ looks like this now btw.
    8-27-2021_10-06-10_pm02j0c.png

I just like the darker look and feel for both the sages and the realm, it's just my taste.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    I haven't replaced them, I've gotten used to the existing sages already and it would be weird to change them. I really like Simeon Silversweater as a sage, actually.
    When I play with spellcasters I usually add a lot of other spellcasters in the game and I also like to use the original sages from the RoM trailer, but I've never used them as actual sages.